Start by marking “The Runaway Actress” as Want to Read:
The Runaway Actress

The Runaway Actress

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  29 reviews
When the stresses of being an A-list actress get too much for her, Connie Gordon decides to escape to a tiny Scottish village. But little does she realise that whilst Lochnabrae might be quiet, it’s far from sleepy…�The latest charming novel from chick-lit’s answer to Richard Curtis.

Connie kisses goodbye to her ex-boyfriends, stalkers and double-crossing agents, and prepar
ebook
Published by HarperCollins Publishers (first published April 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Runaway Actress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runaway Actress

Sarah Broadhurst
I really enjoyed this book. I have been a fan of Victoria Connelly's since reading her first two published books about Jane Austen addicts. I was also lucky enough to meet her at last years Worcestershire Literary Festival when she gave a fantastic talk about her journey to published books.

This book however, is a completely different theme to her previous books, and is another great read. The main character is Connie Gordon, an actress who, after an unplanned run in with an ex boyfriend, which t
Barbara Elsborg
Sorry, not for me. I can fully see that others might like this. It's light and fluffy and easy to read but I found it - eek sorry - dull. I think I was mislead by the cover. I thought it would be more lighthearted, not that the book is deadly serious but it lacked that humor and warmth that I prefer in this sort of book. The characters didn't really appeal to me. I like more angst. So sorry for the low score but on a personal level and that's what reviews are about - this wasn't my sort of thing ...more
Nikki Bywater
Connie Gordon is a beautiful, successful Hollywood actress, who on the outside seems to have it all. But inside Connie is deeply unhappy, she has been in the acting business since she was six years old and she has become tired of the lifestyle that goes with it, the constant diets and the cheating boyfriends. It also feels like she is living out her mother’s dream of being an actress.

Connie longs to escape; to a place she can just lose herself, to where she will have some peace and quiet. So whe
psbish
Okay, so I've read one other Victoria Connelly novel, A Weekend With Mr Darcy, and i really liked it but for some reason i had expected to not like it. I'd seen it on bookshelves for a while and i had picked it up, read the blurb and put it back, thinking it would be rather cheesy and predictable, and to some extent it was. But it was only that my sister brought it home with her one day and i thought "why not?!" so i read it. In a day. It was WAY better than i had expected it to be!! Like i say, ...more
writer...
Another example of what Victoria is great at !
Believable storylines and characters you feel like you know ~ places so well described you feel you're there. Although with this one, having lived in the Scottish Highlands, it def was realistic for me !

Fave quote?
'This isn't a Jane Austen novel. You're allowed to tell a man how you feel and not wait for him to call upon you first...' :)

Deftly handled with Ms Connelly's characteristic 'lite' touch!
ANother fun read ~ Thanks, Victoria :)
Karen (Kew)
I've read several of Victoria Connelly's book now but this is one of my favourites. It's a real feel-good escapist tale set in a quaint village in Scotland with wonderful local characters. I could imagine this working well as a film. Beautiful scenery, colourful characters, friendships forged and loves found. I really enjoyed reading this.
Rhoda Baxter
Connie Gordon gets sick of the pressures of Hollywood stardom and runs away to her mother’s home town and HQ of her fan club – a remote village in Scotland. Maggie runs the Connie Gordon fan club as well as the only shop in the village. There’s a playwright called Alastair who has also run away from London to live in a house in the middle of the hills.
Although there are two love stories in the book, the real story was about Maggie and Connie. The men are almost incidental. Victoria Connelly is v
Abigail Brown
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Connie Gordon is a successful, pretty Hollywood actress who seems to have the world at her feet, but actually is struggling with the pressures put upon her and is desperate for a break. Spontaneously, Connie packs a suitcase and travels to Scotland after receiving an invite from her fan club there. As she arrives and meets all the locals, Connie is quickly thrown into their village life!

Having enjoyed Victoria’s previous novels, I was really looking forward to this one, and I must say I absolute
Dizzyc
Victoria Connelly has written an engaging and funny Chick-lit just as a chick-lit should be with a heroine trying to escape the bright lights of Hollywood and find some peace, a handsome stranger with his own story to tell, and a cast of eccentric village members to be expected in a small community.

Connie Gordon is a Hollywood actress with links to a small village in deepest Scotland. Not only did her mother originate from the village but her No. 1 fan club is based there.

This in itself brings
Gemma
This was a charming tale however it did follow the same M.O. as a romantic novel. The principal character is running from her life in L.A. where she is a famous actress facing the usual challenges that arise from her celebrity status. Her chosen getaway is her mothers home village - which is a small scottish villages in the highlands a far cry from the high end life of Hollywood. In this book you follow the characters journey not only to scotland but her journey in finding out who she really is ...more
Zeeba
She's so lucky, she's a star
But she cry, cry, cries in her lonely heart, thinking
If there's nothing missing in my life
Then why do these tears come at night?

Connie Gordon is a world famous actress, desperate to get away from it all in Hollywood. She retreats to a small village in Scotland where her mother comes from accepting an offer from the head of her fan club there. She thinks life there will be much simpler, but quickly finds that she can't escape who she is.

I wanted to like this because I
Samantha Janning
I received a copy of The Runaway Actress by Victoria Connelly in exchange for an honest review.
Sometimes British chick lit books can be hard for me to get into. They seem longer and sometimes more drawn out, so I started reading this book a bit apprehensively. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this one! It was easy to slip into the charming village of Lochnabrae and enjoy the slow pace and friendly – and some eclectic – inhabitants. Connie is a fabulous MC to follow, and her life
Louise Sparrow
Victoria Connelly is great a weaving a tale with characters you can care about and The Runaway Actress is no exception.

This book is a modern romance with plenty of humour and has that ‘can’t put it down’ quality. The story reminded me a little of the film Nottinghill.

The reason I gave it a 3 star rating and not higher was that, to be honest, the ending felt a little rushed to me. The first three quarters of the book builds up the characters and their backgrounds really well, but I felt that we
Heather
Disillusioned with how her life seems to have gone so far and where it's heading Connie escapes to find herself, and finds more than she could have imagined or even dreamed about.

I really enjoy Victoria Connelly's way of telling her stories, and this latest book didn't dissapoint at all. I fell in love with Lochnabrae and the people who lived there. There were the occasional twists & turns which left me doubting my own ideas of where I wanted the story to go, which is definately not a bad th
Gaby Kozma
A really nice, easy, healthily romantic read. I loved the view, the storyline, the protagonists and the supporting characters. Enjoyable, well written, entertaining. Recommended for fans of Scotland and better romances. :)
Lucy Felthouse
I really enjoyed this chick-lit/romantic comedy novel. I've not read anything by this author before, but I'll definitely look out for her other books, now. It was something a little different, this book. Fun, intriguing, emotional at times, with characters and settings that felt very real. Must confess I guessed one of the major twists, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book at all. This is a book I'd definitely recommend to romance fans.
Jessica
Without any spoilers, this took a weird twist at the end. I usually enjoy chick lit but this was disappointing.
Stacey Parkinson
Like the famous image of a clown crying, an A list star who appears to have everything but is deeply unhappy is the focus of this book. Connie Gordon goes to Scotland to get away from Hollywood and have a break, but ends up finding love and happiness.

The plot moves along at a moderate pace, however was slow to get going. Also many of the characters didn't seem "real", and certain sub-plots remain unresolved.

Overall it was a simple light read that pleasantly kills a few hours. However seems unde
Hongyinmei
Torn between three or four star. It's a good reeading pleasure without having to use your brain to think through the plot. If you want to get away from the stress of your daily work and induldge in a bit of fantasy of mingling with an A-List star, this would be the book to look for.

I was expecting Connie to get back to LA and sort things out with her mother before the story ends so that we'll get to know more stories from her mother's side... instead of having Connie going back to the castle th
Saffron
Aug 24, 2014 Saffron rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Saffron by: 9dc18c97@opayq.com
Predictable and unrealistic but an easy fun holiday read, Connelly has a very easy to read style.
Aileen
Hollywood Movie Star Connie Gordon decides she needs a much deserved break from LA and visits the Highlands Village Lochnabrae she hopes for some peace and quiet. But coonsidering she's visiting the village of HQ for The Official Connie Gordon Fan Club Does she get the Ordinary life she wished for?
I really liked this book, it was very easy to read and follow, quite funny at times too definetely recommend.
Nathalie
I really enjoyed this book, loved the characters and the lovely descriptions of the highland village where it's set. Made me feel happy reading it and just wanted to keep reading!
Definitely recommend.
Deyara
Fun, light read. I liked the setting in small-town Scotland and liked the fan-club parts. The story was pretty predictable, and the romances werent wonderful but it was a good fluffy read.
Katie
I thought the story had more potential than she made of it. The characters all felt stereotyped and a bit flat.
Sue
Cute story...kind of predictable. I did enjoy how this ended on a positive note.
Lily
Thought the ending was a bit rushed but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Carly
couldn't get into it
Tímea
Tímea marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • Bad Angels
  • A Winter Flame
  • When I Fall In Love
  • The Dryad Quartet Special Edition
  • Highland Storms (Kinross Saga, #2)
  • Starting Over
  • Santa Maybe
Victoria Connelly grew up in Norfolk before attending Worcester College where she studied English Literature. After graduating, she worked her way through a number of jobs before becoming a teacher in North Yorkshire.

In 2000, she got married in a medieval castle in the Yorkshire Dales and moved to London. Five weeks after their wedding, her husband, a television news cameraman, was sent to Israel.
More about Victoria Connelly...
A Weekend with Mr. Darcy (Austen Addicts #1) Dreaming of Mr. Darcy (Austen Addicts #2) Mr. Darcy Forever (Austen Addicts #3) Molly's Millions Wish You Were Here