Start by marking “"It's Not About the Sex" My Ass” as Want to Read:
"It's Not About the Sex" My Ass

"It's Not About the Sex" My Ass

With wit, humor and style, Joanne Hanks takes you on a wild ride through the insanity of the Mormon-based polygamist cult that was her life for seven years. Get ready to laugh. Get ready to be outraged. And get ready to see polygamy as no one has ever revealed it before.

Joanne tells their crazy story with humor, satire—and insight. You’ll share her angst over sharing her h
Published July 27th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services, Inc. (first published January 1st 2012)

britt_brooke
Sep 15, 2016 britt_brooke rated it really liked it
This short memoir is full of snark and sass as the title assures, but it also presents a brief history of the mainstream LDS church, the birth and banishment of polygamy, and the existence of fundamentalist offshoots. Bonus points for the quick tribute to the late, great George Carlin.
marcia frederick
Nov 01, 2015 marcia frederick rated it liked it
Polygamy

This was most interesting. It wasn't so long as to lose interest. It was written in such a way that you wanted to find out more. I wasn't surprised as to the ending. I would like to hear more as to her children and how they turned out. Maybe more about some of the sister wives she left behind.
Nicole Angela Bee Bee
"It's Not About the Sex" My Ass by Joanne Hanks https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008Q4...

The sample for this was icky, funny, and intriguing. It's super short for $9.99 and published in 2012. If it goes into KU or sale, I will snatch it up.
Susan Bazzett-griffith
A very different kind of polygamist memoir, one from a woman who spent about six years in the polygamous TLC cult in Manti, Utah, and who came out of the experience relatively unscathed, this book is at points funny, as the author is no longer a believer and is very willing to poke fun at herself, others, and the hypocrisy and oddity of religion in general. At the end of the book, (not a spoiler), she declares her fandom of George Carlin, which makes a lot of sense after her change of heart ...more
Charlie Oliver
Jul 20, 2015 Charlie Oliver rated it really liked it
I wouldn't describe the author as hilarious but she certainly is sassy. The book itself is a quick and entertaining read wherein an educated adult woman gets too sucked up into religious zealotry. It's not a book that slams Mormons, although you'd assume it would be, but by the end of the book the author is pretty much done with religion. There's a pretty big elephant in the room as far as the fact that she brings her kids along with her into a toxic environment. I guess we're supposed to be ...more
Varina
Aug 27, 2012 Varina rated it liked it
This was a funny and quick read that I enjoyed, but am glad I didn't pay for. It was a bit too brief to be honest, the author fairly glid over most of the story and there were many points where I thought she could have, or should have gone deeper or explained more. In fact, I wonder how easy this book would be to understand for someone not very familiar with either mainstream Mormonism or it's polygamist splinter sects. Those criticisms aside, it was a very interesting story, told with wit and ...more
Marjorie
Jul 31, 2013 Marjorie rated it liked it
Very funny, quick light beach read about something much heavier than sand in your sandals. The telling of the progression from main stream to cult is quite clear and appreciated. The details about beliefs, underwear, rules for sex and how they are decided very clearly showed how god doesn't have a lot to do with it. George Carlin's quote works for me. 'Think about it: religion has actually convinced people- many of them adults- that there's an invisible man who lives in the sky and watches ...more
Beth
Jul 21, 2015 Beth rated it liked it
It is very sad how people in religious power can manipulate parishioners to do some very strange things. This was written by a woman who was a part of a polygamous family and cult and about how one day she and her husband just couldn't believe the BS anymore. They got out and have turned away from all religion now because they see how it can be manipulated to further a mans own agenda instead of what God wants. The book was a bit humorous at points, thank goodness, as evidenced by the title. The ...more
Shanna Trim
Aug 06, 2014 Shanna Trim rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good quick read (a bit pricey for an ebook this short, though.). I, personally, am a big fan of Sister Wives and I suppose that inspired my morbid curiosity surrounding polygamy. While the author was involved in a (non-extreme) cult, it still give you a look inside how some of this stuff works. There were parts I wished were fleshed out a bit more, but I realize that might have caused unnecessary controversy with past relationships. The author is frank and funny, while still ...more
brandi
Dec 01, 2015 brandi rated it liked it
Interesting take

So glad she can have humor after whAt she went through :). I was a little disappointed that some of her "facts" on the Mormon church were fiction. She must have grown up in a different Mormon church than I did. I guess Utah Mormons are a breed all their own. At least that's what I've always heard! I have heard and read about lots of fundamentalist Mormon groups but I never knew about the TLC. glad she shared her journey!
Amber Houlton o'neil
Sep 29, 2015 Amber Houlton o'neil rated it really liked it
Couldn't put it down

I was intrigued by the title and description of this book, so decided to give it a go. I finished the entire thing in one night because I couldn't put it down. I found the insight into the cult mentality from a personal perspective very interesting, and the humor and raw honesty refreshing. I would buy it again.
Kelli
Dec 28, 2013 Kelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One woman's humerus account of her life in a polygamist cult. The book is mainly the highlights of her life and it leaves a reader wanting more details. I wanted to know how they became entangled and why they left. I don't feel that these were covered in enough detail to actually understand how someone gets drawn into a religious cult.
Tara
Nov 02, 2014 Tara rated it liked it
Enlightening read. Kind of disturbing as well. The polygamy shows on TLC want to romanticize polygamy. This book is really eye opening. If you watch Sister Wives or think there is some glorified benefits to being in a multiple wife marriage, I'd encourage you to read this book. Definitely isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Karen Stollznow
Mar 21, 2016 Karen Stollznow rated it it was amazing
Aside from having a great title, this book is a fabulous read. It is an insightful and witty look at the problems inherent to Mormon polygamy. It *is* about the sex, but it's also about many other crazy beliefs and practices. Do get this book!
Barbara
Sep 23, 2012 Barbara rated it it was amazing
This woman's experiences will shock you, but she and her co-author manage to show how intelligent people can come to believe what is least believable. The topic is serious, but the story is told in a light-hearted, witty fashion and without ridicule.

I HIGHLY recommend it.
Barbara
Apr 12, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I HIGHLY recommend it.
Beth
Dec 28, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2013
Best polygamy book I've read so far. Short and to the point. It also helps that the author is no longer a polygamist OR Mormon.
Terri
Apr 11, 2016 Terri rated it really liked it
Interesting

Interesting point of view into the life of a polygamist. A little bit of a different approach than others I have read.
Dan
Dec 28, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, fairly lighthearted book with a good deal of humor. I met Ms. Hanks in person and had the joy of hearing her speak about her experiences and the book. I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Chere
Aug 25, 2014 Chere rated it it was amazing
A very funny, yet eye opening account of 7 years as a married couple with 3 children who moved into a polygamist cult.
Lea
Lea rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Jessica M Gates
Jessica M Gates rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2012
Kristine Moroney
Kristine Moroney rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
deb hood
deb hood rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Freedrestraints
Freedrestraints rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2015
Ladymidnight
Ladymidnight rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Oksana
Oksana rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Daughters of Zion: A Family's Conversion to Polygamy
  • Rag and Bone: A Journey Among the World's Holy Dead
  • Santeria: The Religion: Faith, Rites, Magic
  • Learning to Weave, Revised Edition
  • Into the Kill Zone: A Cop's Eye View of Deadly Force
  • An Irreverent Curiosity: In Search of the Church's Strangest Relic in Italy's Oddest Town
  • The Other Side of Everest: Climbing the North Face Through the Killer Storm
  • Betrayal: The Crisis in the Catholic Church
  • Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology
  • The Daughters of Juárez: A True Story of Serial Murder South of the Border
  • A Kiss in Winter
  • Nothing Is Strange with You: The Life and Crimes of Gordon Stewart Northcott
  • Bomb Hunters: Life and Death Stories with Britain's Elite Bomb Disposal Unit in Afghanistan
  • Keep Sweet: Children of Polygamy