Start by marking “The Velvet Glove” as Want to Read:
The Velvet Glove

Read Book* *Different edition

The Velvet Glove

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A not too distant future where robots—particularly specialist robots who don't know their place—have quite a rough time of it. True, the Robot Equality Act had been passed—but so what?
New York was a bad town for robots this year. In fact, all over the country it was bad for robots....

Despite the Robot Equality Act, being a robot is tough. Jon Venex, a robot designed for w
Audiobook, MP3
Published August 9th 2009 by LibriVox.org (first published November 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Velvet Glove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Velvet Glove

Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
I loved the story,the plot,presentation,and everything. It's not an original plot but the wine has been put in a shiny new bottle. Robot equality act,that's quite wonderful. The qualms and queries of Jon seemed much close to humans. Yet the author succeeds in showing that it belongs to a robot(or can I say, a robot's mind.?!). The story was a new experience for me. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Denise
Oct 07, 2015 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Robot Equality Act released robots from human ownership, but didn't make them equal. They're still subject to number of legal and social restriction plus they have the added burden of having to find work in a society that by and large hates them.

Like most robots, Jon Venex has been making do with a series of temporary jobs. When he read a notice that a company is looking robots with his specialty, he can hardly get there fast enough...

Please read the full review here.
Anne
Jun 03, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Velvet Glove is an engaging novella about an innocent robot getting caught up in larger events he had nothing to do with. Harrison simply jumps into the futuristic world and takes readers with him as Jon Venex, the robot, struggles to keep ahead of the situation he finds himself in. There are just enough details to allow readers to form their own pictures and focus on the action.
It left me very much wanting a series to see where Jon goes next and know more about his distopian world.
Dione Basseri
I'm glad I was able to find the publish date of this story, because it really helps the context and feel. That decade after WW2, where science was really picking up and the idea of robots didn't seem so impossible. Yet the notion that we'd change our social structure in any way was unthinkable.

A jobless robot in a world that actively discriminates against them is elated to find a posting for a robot of his exact specifications. After navigating the dangers of the public, he finds that private bu
Caitlin
In theory, robots are free. In practice, it's tough to keep their parts in working order, when they're cheaply made, overworked, and fired at the first sign of slowing. But one robot is determined to find the best of life...
Denise Cooper
Cute Quick read. Mirrors our unpleasant societal issues past and present.
Steven
Dec 21, 2014 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, fiction, ebook
Great writing by a great author. Old schools scifi. dig it
Greg
Jul 07, 2013 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed "The Velvet Glove." It is the story of a robot who gets caught up in a nafarious plot. The attitudes toward robots clearly reflect the attitudes toward minorities of the time the book was published (mid 1950's).

Harrison wastes no time getting into the story, and brings the reader along. Eventhough the story takes place in the future and deals with advanced technology, energy is not wasted on trying to figure out the language. The story is what is important here, and I appreciate that.
Ralph McEwen
Aug 04, 2012 Ralph McEwen rated it liked it
A fun short story, with with a twist at the end. Feel for the robot (s).
The story is told in a narrative and conversational style.

The narrator is well spoken, his voice is clear and easy to listen to. The recording good is clean with out any background noises. There plenty of volume. The editing is seamless.
David Cain
Jul 16, 2012 David Cain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Decently entertaining short story from Harry Harrison. The only knock is that the introductory passage as well as the coda to the main plot do not really have a connection with the rest of the story, so it feels a bit disjointed.
SweetPea
Quick read that I believe qualifies as dystopian. This was just ok, but did draw some parallels with societal issues, even with the main character being a robot.
Mark
Jan 16, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great old school sci fi. The story has an I Robot theme, with conflicts between a robot's freedom of action, and safety constraints in it's programming.
dejah_thoris
Dec 24, 2012 dejah_thoris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Such a sweet story! I wish he'd continued it into a longer work.
Jessica Meyers
I really loved this short story! It was such a fun read!
Red
Classic Harry Harrison novela.
Sharu
Sharu is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2016
Husain BuSafwan
Husain BuSafwan marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Brady
Brady rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Joe Defazio
Joe Defazio marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Sype Corbon
Sype Corbon rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Grant Mulvaney
Grant Mulvaney marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison...