Dog Tags #1: Semper Fido (Dog Tags, #1)

Dog Tags #1: Semper Fido (Dog Tags #1)

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Man's best friend goes to war.

When Gus Dempsey joins the US Marine Corps, he knows without a doubt that he will make a great dog handler. He's always been good with dogs. In fact, he's often better with dogs than he is with people.

But Loki is not the dog that Gus was expecting. Fun-loving and playful, Loki acts more like a pet than the well-trained, bomb-sniffing Marine th...more
Published April 30th 2013 by Scholastic (first published September 1st 2012)

Ms. Yingling
Gus has enlisted in the Marines against the wishes of his mother, since his father abandoned the family after a tour in the military. He ends up training dogs at Lackland Air Force base and is assigned Loki, a a dog who has already been in Afghanistan but whose handler was killed.Because Gus works so hard with Loki, they are sent back very quickly, since there is a shortage of dogs who can detect bombs, and many of the units are being sabotaged by these during their patrols. Gus wants to do a go...more
Quenton Hua
Semper Fido is about Gus Dempsey, a corporal, and his new mine detector dog, Loki, a sergeant. However, Loki is not the serious, well-trained dog he's suppose to be, but instead acts like a loving pet. This story takes place during the War in Afghanistan, around 2007. A conflict in the story is when Dempsey meets Loki for the first time, Loki is very stubborn and disobeys all orders from Dempsey. However, this was solved by Dempsey doing the "alpha roll" to Loki to show who was in charge, along...more
Nicholas Romash
I loved this book. It related to me in so many ways. Plus it's about dogs mixed with some suspense and action. This book was about a guy named Gus who wanted to be a dog handler in the marine corps. So as the story went on he met his partner Loki. Loki was a black playful lab that has been in the marine corps for years. So this book made me relate because I have a dog that acts like Loki, but she is not a bomb sniffing dog. Also this book is about the recent war in Afghanistan. I loved this book...more
Elissa
Very good! The voice of the main character related the events to the reader and it included lots of explanation in the first few chapters and made the military world very accessible.

The adventures of Gus and Loki are smartly told, from the first half where Gus trains for and meets Loki to the their time in Afghanistan. London did a great job with relating information about the war without getting too graphic. It is a story of war, and they face dangerous situations and not everyone makes it. Ho...more
Logan
Apr 14, 2014 Logan added it
Best Friends For Life
Have you ever read the book Dog Tags Semper Fido, by Alexander London? The copyright date is 2012. The theme of this book is to try all different friendships with all different animal and humans. The characters in this book is Loki, Dempsey, Chang, Douglass, and Sergeant Gaffley.
This book start out as Dempsey as a little kid. His father was in the military, but one time his father did not come home from Afghanistan. So, he set out to find his father. As this is happening...more
Debbie
This is the story of US Marine Gus Dempsey and his bomb sniffing dog, Loki. They are deployed to Afghanistan to help troops there. Gus and Loki have a hard time working together and trusting each other. They learn to work together and love each other. I really liked this book. It is a great story.
Ishan Chadha
really good book with a lot of action. it has a lot of adventure. i would recommend this to people who like army books and action and dogs.
Lucas
I wish I could rate it up to 100 stars :)
Noah P
Dog tags is a thrilling adventure novel about Gus Dempsey and his IDD, (IED Detector Dog) Loki. It is a true story about the duo in Afghanistan, searching for IED’s that terrorists make. C. Alexander London is a very good writer, and even better at making very vivid descriptions. London makes descriptions that stick in the readers head for a long time.
When Loki jumps out of his cage, Gus knows he will be the perfect dog for him, but Loki is more playful than the veteran dog he is supposed to b...more
Megan
I loved this book! I mean LOVED it! I couldn't put it down. (Spoiler alert) I was so sad when Chang died though! I ran around my school actually screaming NOOOOO!!! CHANG WHY?!?
Sadly the real life inspiration is like Loki and his old partner. The man was shot dead and the dog crawled on top of him to reduce more damage. Sadly the man died and the family adopted him in reminder of their son.
Gear W. Michael Gear
I don't care how old you are, if you enjoy beautifully told stories about the love between human beings and dogs, you'll love this story.
Dj Devore
Another great book about an army soldier and his very loyal dog.
Diane Greiner
This is a middle to upper grade novel and series that will appeal to boy readers. It is a well written book about war, military dogs and the relationship with their handlers (soldiers). I only had a problem with a couple comments about the experience of war being fun, but otherwise would recommend this book to boys who like to learn more about different wars in the past.
Nickolas Hagen
The theme for dog tags book 1 is care and courage. The first example is when Dempsey was walking back to the base were he was carrying Loki on his shoulders all blood and dying. The second example is when Dempsey has to take care of Loki and teach him to haut bombs and not get hurt.
Beth
Great boy book! This isn't a book I would have chosen to read, but I thought it would be helpful since I knew I'd be offering suggestions on my son's book report before he handed it in. I did enjoy the book.
Trentin V. 8 Rdg
I enjoyed this book at a lot of different points. The book was very interesting telling of how dogs can help American soldiers with there daily job. I also liked how loki saved the soldiers life.
Diana Pettis
Enjoyed this story. It enabled me to have conversations with the boys about the importance of war.
dorthy sharonleekesha outwater
It will inspire kids about the army and i love these books about dogs .
Niccole
My 10 yr old son and I really enjoyed reading this book!
Clay
Dec 03, 2012 Clay marked it as to-read

Good book
Gavin
Gavin marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Alden
Alden added it
Mar 29, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
duh boss
duh boss is currently reading it
Mar 24, 2014
Mightyguy
Mightyguy marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
We Are Not Eaten by Yaks We Dine With Cannibals Dog Tags #2: Strays (Dog Tags #2) Prisoners of War We Give a Squid a Wedgie