Start by marking “Lumina fantastică” as Want to Read:
Lumina fantastică

Lumina fantastică (Discworld #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  77,988 Ratings  ·  1,984 Reviews
On a world supported on the back of a giant turtle (sex unknown), a gleeful, explosive, wickedly eccentric expedition sets out. There's an avaricious but inept wizard, a naive tourist whose luggage moves on hundreds of dear little legs, dragons who only exist if you believe in them, and of course THE EDGE of the planet...
Published 2002 by Editura Noesis (first published 1986)

Lyn
Jan 26, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Sir Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series makes me smile.

Three years after Terry Pratchett published The Color of Magic, the first Discworld book, he published the second, The Light Fantastic, having decided convincingly that this was a worthwhile project.

Though the action in The Light Fantastic takes over immediately following the events in the first book, Rincewind has fallen off of the edge of the world, this novel seems to gather momentum from a good but somewhat shaky start and proceed
Antonio
Jun 01, 2015 Antonio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decidí darle una segunda oportunidad al Mundodisco, porque los fans de Pratchett me han comentado que la saga lo merece, no porque tenga algún problema obsesivo compulsivo con dejar cosas sin terminar...

y ¡Wau! las diferencias entre El color de la magia y La luz fantástica son abismales, casi todos los problemas que tuve con el primer libro se resuelven acá, este si me pareció gracioso, si es concluyente y... resuelve una incógnita del primer libro que me molestaba bastante Rincewind, a pesar de
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
"Inside every sane person, there's a madman struggling to get out. That's what I've always thought. No one goes mad quicker than a totally sane person."

The second installment in the Discworld series is a bigger, funnier delight. One heck of a Laugh Out Loud read.

Something I consider very special in Sir Terry Pratchett's works is that many authors can pull off a joke every once in a while in their stories but Mr Pratchett managed to keep the whole thing comical, while at the time satirical. Not
Jamie
Aug 01, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure people have told me about Pratchett and his Diskworld series before, usually working in the phrase "He's the Douglas Adams of fantasy" into the description. But the problem was that I always felt that I had had enough of Adams after the third Hithiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, and whenever I scanned Pratchett's section in the bookstore I was immediately put off by not knowing where to start reading among the approximately five hundred thousand Diskworld books. I'm glad I finall ...more
Gary
May 06, 2014 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
This book was every bit as fun as the last- maybe more so. Since this is number two in series order, I am getting a feel for where the author was at the point in time it was written. The character development seems more vivid. Rincewind, the Luggage, the Druid sacrifice girl, and the over the hill barbarian fighter are characters that will live with me long after this series is done.
This story has more of a quest feel to it than the last one did. It definitely builds to a strong climax. In order
Rob
Mar 22, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: I enjoyed this one a lot more than The Color of Magic, and it made me glad I read that book first rather than starting with one of the later in the series.

Full Review
A moment of silence for the passing of a great man.

It's a shame it took the passing of Terry Pratchett for me to give this series a second chance. I've had numerous people tell me how much I'd like it. It was recommended again to me when I said I was in a funk and wanted something light and fun just a few days b
BrokenTune
Jun 12, 2016 BrokenTune rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
So, that's how Rincewind ended up with the Luggage! Right,.....

I have been wondering about this for years. Now I know.

There is no doubt that Terry Pratchett was a master at snarky humor and fantastic world building. No doubt at all. Yet, it takes me forever to get through some his books because his adventures often end up going off in tangents...and I'm not drawn into the Discworld universe enough to necessarily want to follow those side-stories that may or may not become relevant in a later boo
Qt
Dec 06, 2007 Qt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one even more than the first book of the series! I thought it was hilarious, and I found the storyline easier to follow.
There were a couple times where I was a bit confused, but I really enjoyed it and thought it was funny and exciting, with a thrilling ending.
Mangrii
Jun 25, 2015 Mangrii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sería un 3,75 o cerca del 4, no lo tengo del todo claro.
Esta es la continuación de El color de la magia, el primer volumen de la saga Mundodisco, siendo la única novela de la saga que continua directamente con los sucesos del libro anterior.
En este libro, tras salvarse de caer por el borde del mundo; Dosflores, Rincewind y el querido equipaje vuelven a meterse en muchos más líos. Una estrella roja amenaza la vida de la gran tortuga ATuin, y la Universidad Invisible (la de los magos) está tratand
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 05, 2012 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
If you read The Color of Magic, you most probably got this book as the the one preceding it (the aforementioned The Color of Magic) ended with Rincewind falling off the edge of the Discworld.... talk about a "cliff-hanger ending". In this one we'll go from there to what could be the end of the Discworld itself and possibly, well everything else. It all depends on Rincewind....scary thought that.

"Synopsisizers" (I believe I just made that word up, so bear with me, please) anyway, "the people who
I've read most of the Discworld books many, many times over the years but I've not actually written reviews for most of them so I figured it really was about time I started yet another reread and this time actually sing their praises to the world!

If you've read The Colour of Magic you'll know it ended on quite a cliffhanger as we saw our two intrepid heroes, Rincewind and Twoflower, literally fall off the edge of the world. Luckily for them Rincewind happens to be carrying a very important spell
TL
May 29, 2015 TL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

I enjoyed this more than the first book (eve though I do like that one), the pacing was better and the characters more "there" and comfortable in their own skins.

It seems/feels to me Mr. Pratchett hit his stride and had more fun writing this one (I could be wrong)... We get to see more of Rincewind's personality in here and he comes into his own some more.

Twoflower, gotta love him :)

Cohen and Bethan were fun to know, wish they would have had a bigger part though. Cohen was pretty spry for his
Tfitoby
Aug 20, 2012 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical, funny
Unseen University but not as you know it.

With my awful and dreaded exercise regime continuing so too does my revisit to the early works of the Discworld thanks to the readings of Nigel Planer.

Rincewind, last seen falling off of the disc has been saved from certain death once more thanks to spoilers that won't be mentioned and now must save the disc from a fiery death and evil wizards.

The problem with going back to these early novels is that things arenlt as you remember them. It's like an altern
Barry Pierce
This is reminded me of just how great Terry Pratchett is. His writing and humour is just fabulous and his characters are brilliant. However the plot of this novel is quite reminiscent of a wet tea towel. It doesn't hold a flame to The Colour of Magic and I'm quite glad that Pratchett gave up on the idea of doing sequels after this novel. It's overall very meh with a sprinkling of ugh.
Becky
I didn't really care for The Colour of Magic. So I wasn't sure what to expect from The Light Fantastic, but I figured either it would be more of the same, or slightly better. And thankfully, it was slightly better. There was a plot! (Of sorts.) And a single storyline! (Mostly.) And humor! (I lol'ed once.)

All are things that Colour didn't have - at least not in my opinion. But I can't say that I loved Light. I'm thinking that it might just be me, though. I like humor, and I even like bizarre rand
Celise
Apr 09, 2016 Celise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The important thing about having lots of things to remember is that you've got to go somewhere afterwards where you can remember them, you see? You've got to stop. You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home."

The Discworld is a Disc sitting on the backs of four elephants, standing on the shell of a giant turtle that is slowly swimming it's way through Space...

And as befits a world so ridiculous, it is filled with an array of equally ridiculous and loveable characters, includi
Jeff Straub
Jul 28, 2008 Jeff Straub rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terry Prarchett is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Not only are the stories rich, funny, and enjoyable, but the format of the storytelling itself adds a whole separate dimension to the books. Pratchett clearly has an incredible understanding of, and love affair with, the English language, and that makes me not want to put these books down.

From spending two pages arguing with the reader about why the female barbarian does not wear impractical sexy barbarian clothes, to subtle word ga
Chris
You know these early Pratchett books get better with time.

This is a wonderful look at the danger of spellcraft and magic, and rose tinted glass.

Of course, everyone loves Cohen. Finally, a May-December romance that makes sense.
Ben Babcock
It’s been a long time since I read The Colour Magic. I’ve read a few other Discworld novels but am now kind of trying to read them in order. Terry Pratchett is a writer whose sense of humour aligns exactly with the type of humourous fiction I want to read: dry and absurd. From Discworld to Good Omens , Pratchett always delivers, and The Light Fantastic is no exception.

I read the first half of this book with a sense of dragging anticipation. I was waiting for the book to begin. It took me a whil
Maria Benitez
Mar 30, 2016 Maria Benitez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He tenido problemas para valorar con estrellas este libro, porque no tenía claro si puntuarlo comparándolo con cualquier libro que haya leído o con los otros de Pratchett, o con el anterior (El color de la magia)...
Creo que lo mejor sería ponerlo como "libro "normal" independiente", que le doy casi las cuatro estrellas.
Comparándolo con el 1º, pese a que he leído críticas por ahí que dicen que este es mejor, yo con este me he reído menos, entonces, en esa puntuación, le daría 3.
En general, es div
Ümit
Rincewind ve İkiçiçek'e -ve tabii Sandık'a- bu kez bir de saçmalar saçması Cohen ve Bethan katılıyor. Büyüyü DiskDünya'da tutmak için yine birbirinden göndermeli maceralara atılıyorlar.

Geyik bir yana, Terry Pratchett'in mizahına ve bilgisine hayran olmamak elde değil. Kahkaha attıran bir kitap/seri bu.
Alex Ristea
Apr 05, 2015 Alex Ristea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, mmpb, series, fantasy
It's a bit sad that I own the first 21 Discworld books and waited until Sir Terry Pratchett's passing to give them the attention they deserve.

This is a wonderful book told in a distinctly British manner. It's not really a story with plot or characters, but likeable all the same.

There are laughs and puns on every page, and it's a fun romp that shows the promise of this author and this series.

Highly recommended that you start reading Discworld. I'm a nut for always going in published order, but I
Damon
Jan 01, 2016 Damon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Going back and reading thee early works, I am struggling to be anything but bored. I had realized how much his writing had improved over the years.
Tiara
More reviews at The BiblioSanctum.

Darkness isn’t the opposite of light, it is simply its absence, and what was radiating from the book was the light that lies on the far side of darkness, the light fantastic.

The Light Fantastic follows Rincewind and Twoflower after a strange, even stranger than normal, turn of events in The Color of Magic. Rincewind has gone from just being a bumbling tour guide for Twoflower to being the man that might actually have to save the world with Twoflower and Luggage
Mamen B.
Jun 16, 2016 Mamen B. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, mundodisco
3,5/5

Me ha gustado más que el primero, y por lo que dicen, no son los mejores libros de esta saga, así que como sólo va a mejorar, yo me muero de ganas de seguir. Lo que ocurre es que tengo la duda de si seguir el orden de publicación, o ir leyendo por subsagas... Si alguien tiene a bien darme su opinión, se lo agradecería.

Entrando en materia, este es el único libro de Mundodisco que es continuación, los demás no se siguen, de tal manera que empieza donde nos dejó El color de la magia. Sin entr
Stacey
May 23, 2011 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a latecomer to the Discworld, having just discovered it a couple of years ago. Whenever I need a good laugh-out-loud escapist novel, I know Sir Terry can deliver. I started with the Tiffany Aching series*, and have managed to read 7-8 of the little Discworld suckers** so far, and enjoyed every one of them immensely, including this one.***

*Actually, and just so I don't bring the wrath of the ghost of Olaf Quimby II down on me, I discovered Pratchett via Good Omens many years ago, but at the t
Manny
Jun 26, 2009 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several of the other reviewers have singled out for special praise the Xena parody with the more appropriately dressed warrior princess. She was indeed very fine, but my personal favorite was the bit where the Stonehenge-type astronomical ritual unexpectedly develops a glitch. "Looks like software incompatibility!" says the know-it-all Neolithic geek. "The Spiral Chant doesn't work on concentric circles!"

And, while we're on rocks, I also loved the trolls, harking back to their glory days in earl
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
2.25

The continuation of the story with Rincewind and Twoflower, I liked this book less than the first, even though I think I read it faster.

Mostly, the plotline with the wizards wasn't all that interesting to me. I actually liked the bits following Rincewind and Twoflower (and, of course, the Luggage) better. And Cohen is always a humorous side point.

Still, it had its moments, but I definitely prefer the knew batch of wizards which get introduced after the events of this story.
Maria del Mar (Ayla)
May 28, 2016 Maria del Mar (Ayla) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasia, 2016
El segundo libro de Mundodisco me ha gustado más que el primero. Seguimos con los mismos personajes, y con sus aventuras surrealistas, las cuales te sacan más de una carcajada. Genial los guiños al género fantástico. De los pocos libros que me han echo reír de verdad.
Heather
I read this as part of my ongoing challenge to read all of The Discworld Series in order.

Following directly on from The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic continues the story of Rincewind and Twoflower. I enjoyed the story in this book more than The Colour of Magic although it still lacks some of the clever humour that is so important in the later books.

I eagerly await the next read.
  • Raiders of the Lost Carpark
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • The Colour of Magic: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • Saints and Sinners: Paint Your Dragon and Open Sesame
  • Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)
  • The Guns of Avalon (The Chronicles of Amber #2)
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • Noční klub II
  • Terry Pratchett

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)

“Inside every sane person there's a madman struggling to get out," said the shopkeeper. "That's what I've always thought. No one goes mad quicker than a totally sane person.” 514 likes
“Of course I'm sane, when trees start talking to me, I don't talk back.” 299 likes