Pepparkakshuset (Hammarbyserien, #1)

Pepparkakshuset (Hammarbyserien #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  846 ratings  ·  145 reviews
En måndag i november, klockan är fyra, det mörknar och blöt snö faller över Stockholm. Mannen sätter sig tillrätta på tunnelbanan. Han undrar om det syns utanpå att han är lycklig. Om det stör? Tåget bromsar in och han kliver av. För upptagen med sina tankar för att se att en dyster figur följer efter honom.

På kort tid inträffar flera bestialiska mord i Mellansverige. När...more
ebook
Published July 2012 by Stockholm Text (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pepparkakshuset, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pepparkakshuset

Harry
Book Review
I'm giving this 3 stars (as opposed to 4 or 5 stars), but only because of two words in the entire novel that I feel are deliberate trickery by the author. It would be a disgrace to reveal to potential readers to what two words I'm referring, but I condsider having written them, a major error on the author's part. And so I'm giving this a lesser rating that I would have otherwise.

I consider this book the beginnings of an author who has yet to mature in certain areas, while showing imme...more
Naomi
Good lord, this book is the epitome of why I LOVE Nordic Noir. This book was fantastic. It was twisted and engrossing with its' scenes and character development. I loved how deep and dark the author went in describing the characters, particularly the killer. Lovers of author Karin Fossum will adore this author. My only complaint...this is the author's only book translated to English. This is one of my pet peeves of the Nordic Noir genre and this book was a classic example of why.
Mallory Heart Reviews
May 20, 2012 Mallory Heart Reviews rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scandinavian Crime Mysteries
Recommended to Mallory Heart by: Great Minds Think Aloud
Shelves: may-2012-reads
Bullying among children and adolescents has probably been occurring for centuries; certainly we’ve all read enough about its occurrence in British public schools throughout the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, and we’re familiar with the practice of hazing in many colleges and universities. We know about the injuries and occasional fatalities. But what do we know about the survivors of childhood bullying? The very young, pre-school age, who are daily subjected to not just the taunts, but actual p...more
Chris
So okay, everyone loves this but me. So take this review with a grain of salt or something.

Considering the amount of violence in this book and how much of the violence is against women, it really wasn't for me. Honestly, if former students are being killed how come only one male student and the rest female? And the cops who have things together are all men, the female police officer has a problem.

I guess it was nice seeing a male police officer in a happy relationship but the unequalness of eve...more
Ebba
I was first in doubt if I really liked it, but as I continued reading, the book had me completely hooked. This novel is very deceiving and rather unexpected. Probably my initial reluctance was because the book was not what I expected, in fact it turns out I am talking about this book with everyone I meet so my impression of it really changed over time and it is still lingering in me after it’s finished.
The story works on different time levels and jumps between 2006 and 1968. It’s a story about...more
Rebecca
Apparently I'm going to be the only one to say this, but, daaang, I felt ambivalent about these characters. This wasn't such a cut & dried, good vs. evil book for me. Not in the least am I condoning murder, thank you very much, but I did feel a measure of empathy for the kids who were bullied and, at the same time, I felt sorry for the murdered gent who managed to turn his life around after his own wretched childhood while at the same time despising his sorry soul for what he did and feeling...more
Tien
The scene opens with a peaceful and majestic scene. Then disturbed by an outpouring of children and you can just feel the boisterousness... and then it suddenly quietened down to a couple of stragglers. All of these in the first few paragraphs. I was totally impressed by how well the atmosphere was conveyed.

A chance encounter, a blast from the past, led Thomas Karlsson to follow this happy looking man whom he knew to be a terrible bully in his early life. The next day, he was found murdered, hea...more
Kelly
If you like thrillers, mystery and being completely surprised at the end of the story, I think you will love The Gingerbread House by Carin Gerhardsen. Gerhardsen skillfully crafted a thriller with a bizarre lot,a dark & dreary setting, with interesting and likable characters and managed to carry over the suspense when her book Pepparkakshuset (in Swedish) was skillfully translated by Paul Norlen into English.

This is the first book I’ve read by this author and I really enjoyed it. Gerhardsen...more
Eccentrika
Ambientato in una grigia e fredda Svezia dove l'ingiustizia e la disuguaglianza sembra essere all'ordine del giorno, "La casa di pan di zenzero" è un thriller dai contenuti forti e controversi, che appassiona, stupisce e fa riflettere. Tratta tematiche attuali e pone spesso interrogativi ai quali è difficile dare una risposta. La presunta innocenza dell'infanzia ha qualche fondamento o è soltanto un mito da sfatare? Possono le azioni degli altri condizionarci a tal punto da rovinarci completamen...more
Heidi Mann
This might be a 5-star rating by the time I finish. It's a very engaging book! I like some of the nuances that flow from it having been written in Swedish and translated into English. Every once in a while there's a slight error in translation -- nothing so garish as to confuse the meaning, just fun little instances of not being quite on target with an idiom of a grammatical convention -- not so many as to become annoying, though. Written from various characters' perspectives in a way that usher...more
Christina
An English language translation from the Swedish, this mystery novel is a tight thriller. Conny Sjoberg is a police detective who is working on the case of a 44-year old man found murdered in the kitchen of a seemingly unrelated woman. Is there really a connection? When other 44-year old victims turn up murdered as well, the police must race to find a pattern and the killer.

This mystery easily kept my attention throughout. It seemed to be well translated with no language issues. It kept me guess...more
Esmeralda
This book is supposed to be the beginning of a crime series and I certainly want to read more. I haven't read any other Scandinavian crime fiction books and I guess this was a good place to start.
In this book the author explores the effects of bullying on young children. This theme is certainly relevant after tragedies like the Columbine massacre. The bullying occurs in preschool and the teacher does not want to get involved. One of the bullied children winds up being a serial killer, seeking re...more
Diane S.
Have to say I was very impressed by this book, it definitely had everything I expect from Nordic Noir. It was gritty, dark and very well written and I loved the plot line. I wonder if those children who bully or just join in to not be different ever stop to think of how they would feel if it was them. Have to say when I was growing up, there really wasn't alot of bullying, fights yes but after the fight everything was fine again. This could definitely be a novel that would make one think twice....more
Claes Ericson
I really loved The Gingerbread House! I haven't felt that way since I read The Millennium Trilogy. But another dimension was the fact the apparently the very disturbing bullying scenes from pre-school are self-experienced by Carin Gerhardsen.

I couldn't put the book down, and recommend to anyone interested in Scandinavian crime!The Gingerbread House
Vesela
Книгата ми хареса! Точно това очаквах и точно такова нещо ми се четеше.
Като оценка е между 3 и 4 звезди, да кажем 3,75 :)
Харесва ми как пише писателката - лек, приятен стил, интригата бързо върви. С удоволствие бих прочела и други нейни книги, ако бъдат издадени.
Elizabeth
Totally addicting, fast-paced crime novel, read it in less than 24 hours. I had some issues with a couple of violent scenes but overall I loved it and I can't wait to read the next one!
Jpucino
I read this on my Kindle; I thought this was a great story! I was a little disappointed at the sort of abrupt ending, but maybe I was just wishing there was more. I recommend this book for sure!
Asta Elizabeth
OH MY CREEP!
- No, seriously. Wow. Ok. Breathe in, breathe out. FREAK OUT OMFG
Vicki
The Gingerbread House is part of the Stockholm Text's Scandinavian Crime series. As it turns out, the Scandinavian's are quite prolific in the murder and mayhem department. Further, it turns out Stieg Larsen was only one of many great story tellers in the cold and often lonely communities of Scandanavia.

Another such author is Carin Gerhardsen. She is skilled at building a multi-layered mystery told from multiple points of view. The plot is slowly and deliberately shaped. The victims, the killer...more
Lisa B.
You can see all my reviews here:

My Thoughts

This was a good book The story moved along quickly and the detective team was likeable. I especially liked how the author showed us the personal and professional lives of some of the investigators - especially lead detective Conny Sjoberg. One minute he’s investigating a murder and the next he’s changing a dirty diaper. It made the characters seem real. The book also sends a frightening message about the effects of bully...more
A.J. Waines
Radi Radev
Джинджифиловата къща донякъде ми напомни на филма "Седем". Само че в тази книга е отделено доста място на насилието, което са способни да извършат децата. И какви травми може да нанесе на тормозените от тях връстници. Особено ако са вече в зряла възраст и пораженията в психиката им са останали и са се увеличили.
Предполагам, че всеки от нас познава поне един човек, който не си е прекарвал особено весело в забавачката или в училище. Имал е съученик, сериозно притесняван от другарчетата му, докато...more
April
2.5.

I really do wish it could be higher. First off, it feels a little difficult to criticize the writing style and the dialogue because the book wasn't written in English first. So... does that mean Stieg Larsson is a WAY WAY WAY better writer than Carin Gerhardsen, or did he just have a much better translator? My gut tells me it's the former, but I don't read Swedish so I can't prove it.

The mystery at base was intriguing. But I didn't really understand how it was solved, honestly. The police se...more
Helen
A bit ambivalent about the ending - did I miss something somewhere or was I just successfully duped? It was unexpected, anyway, and a bit of a trick on the author's part.

The story revolves around childhood bullying (at preschool, which evidently means an age a little older than preschool means in Britain, but we are still talking about very young children - about 6). I found this part particularly interesting - what motivates bullies? Why do children who bully sometimes turn into normal adults...more
Elusive
'The Gingerbread House' was a below average crime novel which could have been a lot better if irrelevant chunks of paragraphs were removed. For instance, the subplot regarding Petra Westman and the rapist. It felt like it was only thrown in to pad up the book. Later it was merely forgotten.

Meanwhile, the major focus on the crime revolving around the series of deaths occurring rampantly was interesting at first as flashbacks were given regarding the character's awfully atrocious childhood experie...more
David Marshall
This is a rather pleasing book, the first in a new series. It introduces a cast of very credible characters including a happily married Detective Inspector in charge of the Violent Crimes Unit. We're in serial killer country as the victim of bullying exacts revenge, while one of the police assistants worries about whether she's the victim of a rape. Overall, a very auspicious start.

NancyHelen
This book was absolutely terrible. I almost don't know where to begin...I thought perhaps the translation of it was poor, but it was more than that. The actual story itself was just as bad. It was a pedestrian premise, which was completely predictable. The 'twist' was so easy to guess. The characters were wooden. But worst of all were the pages of completely irrelevant information - does the war in Lebanon or how to make tapenade really propel the story forward? No! But if all of the irrelevant...more
Vera VB
Inspecteur Conny Sjöberg is voor de verandering eens een normale inspecteur. Hij heeft een vrouw en 5 jonge kinderen, is niet aan de drank, zit niet achter andere vrouwen aan.
De proloog beschrijft het lot van enkele kinderen, kleuters nog, die gepest worden, lichamelijk en psychisch aangevallen door andere kinderen. Thuis krijgen ze er nog een straf of een klap bij als ze met kapotte of verloren kledingstukken thuiskomen.
Het begint met de moord op een makelaar in het huis van een oude vrouw. De...more
Rachel Cotterill
Gritty and somewhat depressing reading, The Gingerbread House is the story of a serial killer whose motivation lies way back in preschool bullying. I particularly enjoyed the interactions of the police officers working the case, and the contrast between their (mostly) happy lives, and the outright misery of the killer.
Krob
This is an unusual book because, in addition to the serial-killer plot, there is a childhood bullying theme which lends depth to the story. When I read the description of the book I was afraid that it would be too preachy, but I'm glad that I chose to read it.
Self-experienced plot 2 16 Apr 29, 2013 11:56PM
Goodreads Librari...: two formats listed in one book 3 43 Jun 15, 2012 04:35AM
  • Dead of Summer (Anders Knutas, #5)
  • Blind Goddess (Hanne Wilhelmsen #1)
  • The Golden Calf (Inspector Huss #5)
  • Unwanted (Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht, #1)
  • Meet Me in Malmo (Inspector Anita Sundstrom #1)
  • Where the Shadows Lie (Fire & Ice, #1)
  • Killer's Island
  • I de lugnaste vatten (Sandhamn, #1)
  • Autumn Killing: A Thriller
  • Evas Öga (Inspector Konrad Sejer #1)
  • Frozen Moment (Christian Tell, #1)
  • Aldrig mere fri (Louise Rick, #4)
  • The Dark Winter (Aector McAvoy, #1)
  • Her Enemy (Maria Kallio #2)
  • Till offer åt Molok (Rebecka Martinsson, #5)
  • The Dragon Man (Inspector Challis, #1)
  • She's Never Coming Back
From the same publishing team that brought you Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy comes Carin Gehardsen, author of the Hammarby series, a series of crime novels that take place in the southern parts of Stockholm.
Originally a mathematician, which explains her clever plots and complex characters, Gerhardsen is the author of the Hammarby-series, crime novels that take place in the southern parts of
St...more
More about Carin Gerhardsen...
Mamma, pappa, barn (Hammarbyserien, #2) Vyssan Lull (Hammarbyserien #3) Helgonet (Hammarbyserien, #4) Gideons ring (Hammarbyserien, #5) Hennes iskalla ögon (Hammarbyserien, #6)