A Face in the Crowd

A Face in the Crowd

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  2,183 ratings  ·  252 reviews
Dean Evers, an elderly widower, sits in front of the television with nothing better to do than waste his leftover evenings watching baseball. It’s Rays/Mariners, and David Price is breezing through the line-up. Suddenly, in a seat a few rows up beyond the batter, Evers sees the face of someone from decades past, someone who shouldn’t be at the ballgame, shouldn’t be on the...more
Published August 21st 2012 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about A Face in the Crowd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Face in the Crowd

The Shining by Stephen KingCarrie by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingNight Shift by Stephen King
Stephen King Books I've Read
92nd out of 102 books — 48 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettA Face in the Crowd by Stephen KingNever Saw It Coming by Linwood BarclayThe Accident by Linwood BarclayThe Next Accident by Lisa Gardner
MY WISH LIST OF BOOKS!
2nd out of 12 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Nataliya
Mar 20, 2014 Nataliya rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: King fans with a $1.99 to spare.
I almost did not read this book because of baseball.

Seriously, I fail to understand this sport (my European-born brain must be lacking a baseball neuron, I suppose)¹. 'Twilight' pseudo-vampires engaging in this American pastime did not help this sport win credibility with me, so you can at least partially blame Stephenie Meyer, I guess.
¹ Seriously, my facial expression when people start discussing baseball around me is akin to the facial expressions of my American colleagues when I started sin
Delee

3.5

I used to be a huge baseball fan in the 80's. The Blue Jays were my team. My mom and my brother were fans as well- and in baseball we formed a bond. Watching the games on T.V and seeing the games up close and personal in Toronto- warm beer and crappy hot dogs never tasted soooooooo good. But then my brother moved to Atlanta and became a Braves fan, and I moved out of the Toronto area, where Blue Jays fans were hard to come by...and my love for baseball just faded away.

When I came across A FAC...more
Trudi

This is good my fellow Constant Readers, just not...wow. I can't speak of O'Nan's work, but for King this is a fairly familiar and predictable story idea. The execution is nice, the prose tight and strong, but unlike countless other times in my life, he just didn't blow my skirt up with this short novella.

Still, it's always such a joy to slip into King's world, his rhythmic use of language, his crystalline images and always effective creation of dread and unease. It's perhaps morbid of me to co...more
Becky
BAAAAASSSSEEEEBBBAAAALLLLLL!!!! *shakes fist*

I like baseball. Well, I like watching it. Not really reading about it, so the fact that King loves writing about it is... Well, I forgive him. He's King.

But thankfully, this story was less about the baseball than it was about the guy watching baseball. And though this is a very short story, only 32 pages on my Nook, it was a good one. Not great, and not really up to the standards that I've come to expect from King, but good.

I think it just lacked...more
Lou
I felt i was amidst a scrooge tale of sorts, with a revisiting of the protagonists ills but the circumstances prove to be even grimmer with a stephen king twist on a story that has the main protagonist as an average guy whose a avid baseball fan.
Was shorter than i desired but a nice little supernatural baseball story.
Review also @ http://more2read.com/review/a-face-in-the-crowd-by-stephen-king-stewart-onan/
Kathy
This is a classic Stephen King book! Dean Evers is an avid baseball fan and watches all the games. When he starts to see familiar faces sitting in the stands behind home plate things start to get wierd. These people shouldn't be there at all. What does it mean? Things are only going to get wierder! Well done, Uncle Stevie! :)
Jamieson
Dean Evers is lonely.

Having recently lost his wife, he has moved to a Florida condo and has been filling his time with meaningless tasks, cooking meals for himself, books and baseball. The baseball games on television help to fill his nights when he is missing his dead wife the most.

One night, while watching the Rays duke it out against the Mariners, the game takes on a whole new meaning for him when he sees someone who couldn't possibly be at the game. Sitting in the third row, right above the...more
Chris
I really liked this short story. Dean Evers was a character I felt for. Poor guy is living alone with no one to keep life interesting, but he has Baseball. Both Stephen King and Stewart O’Nan wrote the characters in this short story very well. I felt like I knew each character and that is a difficult feat in such a short amount of time. I couldn’t put this down and just had to keep going. In the few occasions my attention was taken away from the story I would go back and re-read a section to mak...more
Mitch Lavender
Aug 23, 2012 Mitch Lavender rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any SK fans who dig baseball.
Stephen King has experimented with novella e-book-only releases before, the first being Riding the Bullet in 2000, long before the medium had matured with the sophisticated e-book devices like Kindle, Nook or iPad. A Face in the Crowd (Simon and Schuster Digital, $1.99) is in the same vein, available in e-book (multiple formats) and audio book, but not in print. Not yet, anyway.

King shares the credit of this short story with Stewart O’Nan, as he did in 2004 on Faithful, and I was pleased to see...more
Michael
Wir alle kennen diese Menschen, die sich mehr oder weniger unbeschadet durchs Leben schlängeln und dabei auf andere keine allzu große Rücksicht nehmen. "Das war nicht meine Schuld", "Das habe ich nicht gewollt" oder "Der war doch selber Schuld" sind die Mantras ihrer (Selbst-) Beschwichtigung.
Ein Paradebeispiel für diesen Menschenschlag ist Dean Evers, dessen hervorstechendes Charaktermerkmal seine unkaputtbare Selbstgerechtigkeit ist. Sein Mitschüler Lester "Soupy" Embree, sein Geschäftspartne...more
Bob Milne
I'll admit it. As much as I'm a huge fan of Stephen King AND the game baseball, I have never read his first collaboration with Stewart O'Nan, Faithful . . . and likely never will. It looks like an interesting read, but the Blue Jays fan inside me just will not allow me to indulge nearly 500 pages of Red Sox rhetoric. :)

Fortunately, with A Face in the Crowd they have turned their attention away from the Sox, and away from the realm of fan-based non-fiction. Instead, they've written a short little...more
Amy
This is a Kindle short, which was perfect for a somewhat-lengthy train ride I was on - I wanted something that would keep my interest, but nothing too deep. A King I hadn't read, a brief one at that - yes, please. Perfect. I also like what I've read of O'Nan's work, so was looking forward to the collaboration.

I don't hear much of O'Nan's voice here - I don't know if King's voice overshadowed it (O'Nan is much more subtle, in my experience) or if O'Nan's contribution was the idea, while King's wa...more
Todd Russell
For those that enjoyed Blockade Billy, Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon here comes a Stephen King knuckler dancing around and across the literary plate.

The ghost story plot is a bit cliched, the execution is slow and clumsy until the final 10%, the baseball asides felt forced and unnecessary at times, and yet it all kind of works (it's like King threw a bat out there and worked out a lucky bunt).

Don't expect to sit i...more
Mmmbacon
I think we absolutely take for granted how lucky we are to have such a great living legend author as King among us. He's so often pigeonholed and lumped in one category or the other. He scare us (It), makes us hope (Rita Hayworth And The Shawshank Redemtion)and causes us take inventory of ourselves and the content of our heart (The Green Mile). He's versatile. My kid's kids will read his stories in their literature books. They will have realized how lucky we were.

Face in the crowd is a fairly p...more
Chris
I really enjoy the way King writes. I could read about gardening if he wrote it. And enjoy it. I also love baseball, so I was predisposed to like this book much more than I did.

This story had an interesting idea that just didn't deliver for me. Sort of like when the rain hits in the 5th inning and leaves you looking out at the empty field. You love it at the park, but today the game just didn't happen. Not a memorable novella at all. Read "Throttle" instead. That one was the literary equivalent...more
Kelly Hager
This was much less creepy than In the Tall Grass, and a good thing, too. I'm not sure I could've handled two incredibly scary stories back to back. (Yes, I know that maybe re-reading all of his books in a year may not be the best idea but really, how many genuinely scary stories has he written? Not that many, and I don't plan to read It, The Shining and Pet Sematary in a row.)

This reminded me a little bit of A Christmas Carol (and I was sad to see several other Goodreads reviewers say so, too, b...more
Kit★
I enjoyed this little story, though it was littler than I was expecting, due to the chunks of sample for Black House and Talisman at the end. I still liked it though. It wasn't mind-blowing or anything. Just a kind of mellow little story with a bit of spookiness. Just a bit. I didn't mind the baseball talk either, I don't watch it myself, but I had to sit through umpteen-million games growing up both professional and not, so I mostly know what's what, I wasn't turned-off by the baseball aspect....more
wally
Aug 30, 2012 wally rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: king
on this one now...8/30/2012

begins:

the summer after his wife died, dean evers started watching a lot of baseball. like so many snowbirds from new england, he was a red sox fan who'd fled nor-easters for the gulf coast of florida and magnanimously adopted the devil rays, then perennial punching bags, as his second team.

heh! i lost out on the chance to play little league...for i was doing my duty...delivering papers when they had the sign-up meeting...and the ass't coach was to have saved me a posi...more
Frank Errington
A new collaboration from Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan who worked together chronicling the Red Sox improbable 2004 season in Faithful.

Where Faithful was non-fiction, this new novella, A Face In the Crowd, is definitely pure fiction.

Ever since the death of his wife, Dean Evers spends a lot of time watching Tampa Bay baseball on TV and lately he's been seeing a number of familiar faces behind home-plate. Problem is, the faces are of people who should be dead.

A quick read and an enjoyable story. K...more
Matt
Stephen King's short story leaves you wondering from page 1 and shaking your head by the end, as he recounts a tale that sets America's pastime on its head, or at least its fans. When our main character sees long-ago friends and family on screen while watching 'the ball game', no one knows what to expect. King weaves a detailed tale and has you wondering as only he can, until you reach THE END.

Not exactly a mystery, a horror, or much of anything other than fiction, King entices the reader with m...more
John
Some really great writing (as expected), but story-wise this may be King's weakest effort since THE LAWNMOWER MAN (the short story, not the movie). I can't help but blame the co-author.
The plot goes like this: While watching baseball on TV, an old man encounters some ghosts from his past and is forced to reflect back on his life. At the end, there's a twist...sort of.
And that's about it, save for a bunch of baseball references tossed in for color. It's an OK read, but if you want a good baseball...more
Pamela Scott
I enjoyed A Face In The Crowd. It was a pretty decent Stephen King yarn. It would fit nicely in between the pages of a collection of stories. I’ve never heard of Stewart O’Nan before. I find myself curious about how the collaboration came about. Who wrote what bit? I have too many thoughts in my head.

I thought the concept was very original for A Face In The Crowd. Imagine if you spotted someone from your past, who died, in a crowd somewhere? The very idea of it gives me chills. I liked the way K...more
Anne
I admit I have quite a shameful number of books in my to-be-read pile, but I couldn't resist reading something short and creepy, so of course, who wouldn't say no to a Kindle Single by Stephen King no less. I am not much of a baseball fan myself - I know how it is played; some of my closest friends used to play the game in high school; and one of my travel highlights was when I saw a live baseball game in the Target field in Minneapolis. I know, I should love it, right?! But this game just bores...more
Shelli Black Rose
Oct 09, 2012 Shelli Black Rose rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans, baseball fans
Recommended to Shelli by: Karyn
Shelves: stephen-king
A very quick read. It took me under an hour to finish the story. A quaint story, without much substance. I was disappointed that I'd figured out the entire thing in the first couple of pages. His writing style seemed different, as well, though I can't put my finger on how, exactly. Fans of King will understand what I mean. A nice easy read if you don't have a lot of time to spare.
'esteban Dilo
Una genialidad. Si bien la historia tiene una trama que te lleva revelando el final (por lo menos yo lo sentí así), la forma en la cual está escrita es magnífica. ¡Un diez!
Kandice
I have owned this on my Nook since it was first available. Every single time I scroll through titles looking for my next title I feel a twinge of shame because the only reason I haven't read it is that I assumed it was about baseball. I am so, so glad I made myself read it last night!

This story would have been perfectly at home in one of King's short story collections. I don't know who Nan is, but this story was pure King. It reminded me of the stories he's said he wrote when he finished a novel...more
AJ
Eh. After the Full Dark No Stars collection of short stories i was excited about the next 2 to come out. Mile 81 and this one. Only i felt disappointed by both. No creepy crawlies or twisted visions of tales fro the past. This was not a terrible story it just wasn't what I was hoping for.
Brina
Wenn Stephen King ein neues Buch, bzw. eine neue Kurzgeschichte veröffentlicht, dann muss diese von mir gelesen werden - komme, was wolle! Da ich zu meiner Schande bislang noch nichts von Stewart O'Nan gelesen habe, war ich auf die Geschichte besonders neugierig und hatte recht hohe Erwartungen, jedoch haben die sich nicht ganz erfüllt.

Ich mag den Stil der beiden Autoren, jedoch fand ich die Geschichte zu vollgestopft mit dem Thema Baseball. Bei King ist mir dies bereits bei "Das Mädchen" aufge...more
Lonnie
Sep 07, 2012 Lonnie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: nook
I was a little disappointed with this story, although I love the baseball angle. Much of the story is interesting though predictable as was the ending. I give kudos for tying baseball and horror together but most definitely not King’s best work.
Dawn
I really liked this. It wasn't gross or scary, it was just something odd happening to a man. Even though it was pretty short, a lot happened and you still get a lot of depth and insight into the main character.
Stephen King Fans: A Face in the Crowd 17 117 Sep 26, 2012 04:56PM
  • Thumbprint: A Story
  • Road Rage: Two Novellas
  • The Lost Work Of Stephen King: A Guide to Unpublished Manuscripts, Story Fragments, Alternative Versions and Oddities
  • Night Visions 5
  • They
  • The Wanderer in Unknown Realms
  • Nightmares in the Sky: Gargoyles and Grotesques
  • Speed Dating with the Dead
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • Haunted
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, M...more
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie

“Money can't buy happiness, but it allows one to endured unhappiness in relative comfort.” 2 likes