Start by marking “Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)

Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  9,571 ratings  ·  545 reviews
When the president of Hartland Flour chooses cozy Lake Eden, Minnesota, as the spot for their first annual Dessert Bake-Off, Hannah is thrilled to serve as the head judge. But when a fellow judge, Coach Boyd Watson, is found stone-cold dead, facedown in Hannah's celebrated strawberry shortcake, Lake Eden's sweet ride to fame turns very sour indeed. Somebody is cooking up a ...more
Published February 2nd 2002 by Kensington (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Strawberry Shortcake Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strawberry Shortcake Murder

The Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainThe Cherry Orchard by Anton ChekhovFive Quarters of the Orange by Joanne HarrisJames and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
Fruity
72nd out of 78 books — 22 voters
James and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckTwilight by Stephenie MeyerOn the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls WilderA Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
Fruit Salad
234th out of 239 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
I really liked book #1 and I quickly bought and finished the second installment. Had to lower my rating though because the book is EXACTLY the same as the first one. As if it was written by a template or paint-by-numbers.

(view spoiler)
Liralen
It's a cop-out, but the Hannah Swensen mysteries really only need a lump review:

For some reason, I keep reading these when they show up at the library. I don't know why. Do I enjoy them? Sure. They're trashy murder mysteries that don't always make sense. I can huff at them in irritation when the main character does, or thinks, something especially stupid. They involve recipes.

Actually, the books are formulaic enough that they themselves were written by recipe.

Yes, I will keep reading them, assum
Sheri
Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Joanne Fluke)
Murder Mystery. Hannah Swensen is a baker living in rural Minnesota. When she is not baking she is solving crimes...this job just comes naturally to her. Hannah is asked to judge a four day bake sale. After the first day one of the judges, Coach Boyd Watson is found dead and Hannah is on the scene.

Hannah with the help of her sister Andrea, decide to do some investigating
Fast paced who done it, with twists, turns a lot of suspects is a fun page turning al
Kate Hollifield
While some referenced how similar the structure of the book was to its predecessor, I didn't mind. This book was a fun read, and that's what I wanted it to be.
Chrissy
Another delicious murder mystery! Hannah has become a cooking judge in front of a live audience. She is also given her few minutes of fame before each contest begins by baking a recipe and sharing it with the viewers.

One of the judges has to back out at the last minute due to a dental emergency, so the station has to have another person randomly choosen to be a judge on such short notice. They draw the name Boyd Watson. A basketball coach at the local high school where they are filming the bakin
Laurel
This is the second cozy, Strawberry Shortcake Murder, by Joanne Fluke that I have enjoyed. I am already realizing that completing these books in order is advantageous, given that each book adds more layers to the main characters: Hannah, otherwise known as The Cookie Lady, the proprietress of a very successful bake shop, Andrea, her real estate broker sister and sidekick, and several other folks who work and live in the Minnesota town of Eden Mill. This book could be read as a standalone, but I ...more
2nd in the Hannah Swensen series.

The second installment of the series improved on the first. Hannah is obviously growing as a character. She makes better decisions, yet is still her impulsive self. Her relationship with her sister, Andrea, is also growing.

This time when murder strikes in Lake Eden, Hannah needs to help her friend, Danielle, who is suspected of murdering her battering husband. Andrea insists on helping Hannah and the two become quite the investigative pair. Andrea is the charmer
Kay Van Slyke
Good one!! Fun murder mystery along with some new recipes. I'm definitely going to have to try to make the Chocolate Highlander Cookie Bars. Yum!! Also, my new motto from this book is: "If chocolate were a mandatory part of breakfast, people wouldn't be so grouchy in the morning"!!
Jess
Someone recommended this series to me because she said it was similar to the Stephanie Plum Novels from Janet Evanovich. So I gave it a try.

I couldn't find the first book in the series anywhere so I just started with this one instead. I didn't feel as if I was missing any information, the characters were all re-introduced at one point.

I liked the book, I thought the murder was interesting to try to solve as I went along through the book and I picked out one of the "bad" guys from the beginning
Jaime
Karol
I enjoyed this second book in the series a great deal more than the first. The character of Hannah Swensen is growing on me! What made this book more to my taste was partly the interactions between Hannah and Andrea (her sister), her employee Lisa, and "friends" Norman and Mike. Her mother's admonitions to stop finding dead bodies were humorous, too.

In the first book, it seemed like there were a lot of loose ends - discoveries of things that had no bearing on the mystery and while significant, w
Scarlett Sims
The problem with reading this series out of order is that when a character shows up who I haven't seen in the later books it's easy to tell that they are the killer/will get murdered.

It was kinda cool to read an earlier book though because it introduces problems that have already been resolved in the books I've read.

My biggest problem with this one was that everyone seemed a little too willing to be outside the law/their ethics... it seems like in the later books Hannah is a little bit more care
Jennifer S
more like 2 & 1/2 stars. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Listened to it on CD and it was poorly edited which was constantly annoying. The chapter breaks were long, and the speaker could be heard taking a breath before the cut offs. I read it fit the quick mystery fluff it is suppose to be, and that part was good. Hannah though is getting to be a little annoying. She was asked by her bro-in-law to help investigate in the first book, it this one she becomes a big know it all and is putting the ...more
Lacey
The only reason this didn't get four stars from me is because of the 'political correctness gone mad' comment in the book. Yes, it's a throwaway line, but things like that are a pet peeve of mine. It wasn't necessary and makes me wonder if it was an author's comment moreso than just the character's. Is it petty? Probably, but I wanted to be upfront about it.

Another factor also comes from the first book as well, which is the continuous mention of Betty's weight. We get it. She's fat. How dare she
Natalie
Another entertaining Hannah mystery. Thus far I'm enjoying Ms. Fluke's cookie-baking super sleuth.

In this novel, Hannah is determined not to let a friend be railroaded by the police in the murder of her husband. I must say that I'm not a real mystery buff, but I attempt to keep an open mind that someone like Hannah who has no experience in police procedure or investigating crimes can be so adept at finding out the truth. But that is the fun of fiction, is it not?

In this novel, aside from seeing
Laine (librarianscanreadtoo)
In walks in another mystery that Cookie-master Hannah Swensen must figure out. And it has nothing to do with her new recipes of desserts she's adding at The Cookie Jar. Nope, this here is murder. And it's someone that she doesn't like....at all!

Coach Watson has been a lot of things for the lovely town in Minnesota and many of those things has been hidden in plain sight....like beating his wife. So no love loss there for Hannah when she "found" the body, once again. But she liked his wife and wan
Maureen Grenier
Strawberry Shortcake Murder by Joanne Fluke

Amateur sleuth and bakery owner Hannah Swensen tackles a juicy murder served up during the town’s first annual Dessert Bake-Off Competition. When she discovers her friend Danielle standing over the body of her murdered husband, a high school coach and one of the judges of the competition, Hannah firmly believes in Danielle’s innocence. Although there is no shortage of townspeople who have good reason to dislike him, the unfortunate Danielle, who suffere
Toni
This story features Hannah Swensen, and she is one of the judges of the Heartland Flour Dessert Bakeoff that is being broadcast on the local television station. One of the judges has to bow out and they bring in, Boyd Watson, a character from the Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder who was proven to be a wife beater. He is the coach of the Gulls high school basketball varsity team. He says some not so nice things to some of the contestants and they end up finding his dead body the next day. Hannah gets ...more
Jeanne
Hannah Swensen's back, and she's still baking cookies and solving murders in cozy Lake Eden, Minnesota.

In this entry, the 2nd of the series, most of the action centers around the Hartland Flour Dessert Bake-Off. When one of the judges, Coach Boyd Watson, is murdered, it's up to Hannah to find the killer.

Not too rich, not too sugary, Fluke's dessert-based mystery is a perfectly guilt-free treat.
Autumn
I loved this cozy little mystery bu Joanne Fluke. Hannah is a lovable character, but in this one I wanted to say, "Get it together, Girl!" In this book we find Hannah judging a bake-off in the cute little town Lake Eden. When one of the judges get murdered, there are many suspects and motives. I recommend this book for anyone who likes a good, clean mystery. Super Cute! Five Stars!
Jenn
I don't love this series. I've read a few and find them okay, but not stellar. However, I seem to have run out of all the cozy mysteries that I do like, so I went back to finish up the ones I was missing (a lot of them) from this series since the library has all of them.

This was an entertaining read, but there wasn't a lot special about it. Hannah's a bit annoying and slightly full of herself. The recipes annoy me with her "tips." I did try one recipe from one of these books and it wasn't great.
Cris
Eu gostei tanto do primeiro livro da série "O mistério do chocolate" que resolvi ler o segundo.
O livros seguem o mesmo estilo, um romance policial bem leve, no qual crimes com algum traço gastronômico caem no colo da pobre confeiteira Hannah. Nesse caso, a cabeça esmagada do treinador do time de futebol da escola acabou caindo em cima do seu magnifico bolo de morangos! Choquei!! Queria tanto um teco...

Apesar da historia se passar depois do “O Mistério do Chocolate”, você não precisa ler o livro
Naomi
Where is my insulin?? This book was way to sticky sweet and the emphasis was on how the author was going to be able to fit her recipes into the storyline versus the story line itself. I do believe, unless I need them for a challenge, this is my last Joanne Fluke book, unless I grab them to see what recipes she puts in them!
Rebecca
After really enjoying the first book in the series I was looking forward to reading Strawberry Shortcake Murder. I was in the mood for something light and fun so this was the perfect book.

I did manage to guess who the murderer was, which I always find fun to do. I like that the clues are all there and it's just a matter of putting the right clues together to come up with the right conclusions.

The recipes in the book also just sound so good and there are a few that I would really love to try out.
Jen
A fairly cheesy murder mystery set in a fictional town in MN. I liked the book, felt like I was watching a Lifetime movie, but I will read more by her. Also, there are some recipies in the book that sound fabulous...I will bake some of her treats!
Evelyn
Hannah solves another couple of murders in Lake Eden. And almost becomes murder victim #3 except for the old flour in the eyes trick. Still, a fun summer read. I really do want to try some of her recipes.
Lisa
Thanks to Nancy Lucas for turning me on to Joanne Fluke. Easy reads and Nancy and I sort of make fun of how actively involved Hannah Swensen, cookie baker, always finds herself in the middle of everything!
April
Borrowed through Overdrive via my library. Second book in the Hannah Swensen mystery series
Hannah is helping with a bake off being held in Lake Eden. First night after the judging Coach .... Is killed. He isn't a very nice man, a wife beater from the first book. But his wife didn't kill him, so who did and why. Hannah and her sister Andrea set out to find out. They come upon more clues than Mike and Andrea's husband from the police force. A second person is killed, Lucy. She wasn't a very nice p
Heather Adkins
Adorable! I'm so into this series. Hannah reminds me so much of myself. She's down to earth, funny, and thinks she needs to fix everything. Highly recommend all the Hannah Swenson novels.
Mary
I really enjoyed this mystery. It held my attention and the everyday person doing the detective work was fun. The recipes sound really yummy and I will be trying one of them soon.
The Women's Myste...: #2 Strawberry Shortcake Murder 1 3 Aug 09, 2013 11:11PM
  • Killer Pancake (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #5)
  • Sugar and Spice
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
  • The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder (Pizza Lovers, #2)
  • Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2)
Like Hannah Swensen, Joanne Fluke grew up in a small town in rural Minnesota where her neighbors were friendly, the winters were fierce, and the biggest scandal was the spotting of unidentified male undergarments on a young widow's clothesline. She insists that there really are 10,000 lakes and the mosquito is NOT the state bird.

While pursuing her writing career, Joanne has worked as: a public sch
More about Joanne Fluke...

Hannah Swensen (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
  • Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6)
  • Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7)
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8)
  • Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9)
  • Carrot Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #10)
  • Cream Puff Murder (Hannah Swensen, #11)
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5) Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8) Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3) Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)

“If chocolate were a mandatory part of breakfast, people wouldn’t be so
grouchy in the morning.”