Start by marking “Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)

Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  5,611 ratings  ·  792 reviews
When Nowhere Is Safe

Most people avoid the dreaded Whitechapel district. For Honoria Todd, it's the last safe haven. But at what price?

Blade is known as the master of the rookeries—no one dares cross him. It's been said he faced down the Echelon's army single-handedly, that ever since being infected by the blood-craving he's been quicker, stronger, and almost immortal.

Published September 4th 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss of Steel, please sign up.

Dark Lover by J.R. WardThe Duke and I by Julia QuinnSecrets of a Summer Night by Lisa KleypasMine Till Midnight by Lisa KleypasOutlander by Diana Gabaldon
Best Romance Series
393rd out of 814 books — 1,323 voters
Real by Katy EvansNeanderthal Seeks Human by Penny ReidRoman by L.J. DeeLucas by L.J. DeeFighting Destiny by Amelia Hutchins
Adult Romance with interesting Alpha males
37th out of 65 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Six months ago, Honoria Todd, her sister and brother moved into Whitechapel to escape the Duke of Vickers, knowing the rookeries was the one place he would not dare to come. Instead Vickers placed a reward on her head. Blade is the self-styled ruler of Whitechapel and has his own reasons for thwarting Vickers. If Vickers wants Honoria so badly, then Blade is determined to hold on to Honoria all the more.

When Honoria is summoned to see Blade, he offers her 'protection'. For a price. Wan
Sep 30, 2012 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of paranormal and/or steampunk romance
Shelves: gothic-romance, historical-romance, historical-romance-victorian, pnr-paranormal-romance, pnr-vampires, steampunk, hero-tattalizing, tattoos-piercings-body-art, pnr-weres-cats-wolves-shifters, heroine-miss-independent, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, hero-antihero-gamma, urban-fantasy, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, rt-book-reviews-4-and-a-half-stars, hh-deaf-mute-speech-disorder, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hero-affable-lovable-rogue, hero-alpha, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-brooding, hero-cad-rake-rogue-scoundrel, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-commoner-self-made, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-or-heroine-illegitimate, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, heroine-bluestocking-unconventional, heroine-classy-lady, heroine-destitute-poor, heroine-good-girl-nice, heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap-annoying, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, heroine-prim-proper-decorous, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-pygmalion-theme, hh-riches-to-rags, hh-rags-to-riches, hh-smart-intellectual-brainy-geek, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, i-read-library, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, steam-2-warm, steam-3-hot, villain-uber-bad-nasty, violence-reader-discretion-advised, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, action-packed, author-bec-mcmaster, 2012-reads, 4-to-5-stars, action-adventure-treasure-hunting, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, badasses-hunks-in-leather, best-fave-reads-of-2012, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-friendships, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hero-black-sheep, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-sassy-full-of-attitude, heroine-undeserving-of-awesome-hero, hh-across-the-tracks, hh-warrior, wager
4 stars – Paranormal Romance/Steampunk

It’s been a while since I’ve read such an imaginative paranormal romance. Bec McMaster has penned a noteworthy debut that’s bold, inventive, engrossing, and sensual. I really enjoyed this!

McMaster has crafted an intricate, alternate London set historical with memorable, complex characters and unique elements of paranormal, steampunk, vampires, and verwulfen blended seamlessly without excessive world building to bog down the pacing or impede the romance. Th
“But I’m ’fraid I’ll ’urt you.”
Honoria took his hand and dragged it lower. She slid it under her skirts, against the heated skin of her thigh. “That fear is why I know you won’t,” she whispered. Her other hand went to his nape and she dragged his mouth back to hers. “Make love to me, Blade. And don’t stop.”

* Le sigh * I'm actually shocked by how much I enjoyed reading this ... For the love of steampunk , this was awesome !!!

Steampunk has always been a subject of fascination for me . From t
Apr 07, 2013 Alkyoni rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Paranormal Historical Romance with a Steampunk touch
Recommended to Alkyoni by: Group Read with the Dark Side (I hate you all)

His hands came up and captured her face between them. “Damn you,” he cursed. And then he took her mouth in a blistering kiss.

I am so happy this is over that I want to weep, mentally high-five myself for finishing it, open a bottle of tequila to celebrate and then treat me to a two week vacation to Aruba.

And the funny thing is that the poor book was not THAT bad.

It was all a huge misunderstanding, I'm telling you. This book and I, we were never meant to happen. I joined the group reading un
Please forgive me while I rave about Kiss of Steel - what a great melding of steampunk and paranormal romance. I have become enamored with steampunk romance recently, but there aren't many books in the genre where the steampunk trappings are integral to the story. Kiss of Steel is one of the rare ones where the steampunk elements are woven into the fabric of the background instead of relying on 'hey, there's an airship' decorating the story in order to steampunk-ize it. And I thought that the al ...more
I enjoyed this debut a lot. I don’t think Kiss of Steel is a steampunk novel like Brook’s Iron Seas series. It is more like a paranormal romance with a touch of steampunk elements in an alternate London. The mix of Blade’s dialect, vampire, blue blood, the Fade, and virus is very creative.

He couldn’t read or write much. But he always knew number. Raw, dark, passionate, protective, kind, charming, and sweet. This tortured hero was quite complex and I really liked him.

She was loyal,
OKAY Vampires and werewolves and steampunk AND victoriana? wow it's a lot mashed together in series these days. I've actually read SEVERAL series with these mashups, but I think this one did a very good job, moreso than other books I've read, to make it a believable world.

The main character is hiding from the bad aristocratic vampires in the outcast part of London ruled by the sexy outcast vampire. I mean, it's pretty obvious what's gonna happen with the setup (the relationship part) but the jo
Jess the Romanceaholic

Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, London Steampunk Series
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy

I. Loved. This book.

Dark, and gritty, with a scrumptious blend of steampunk, vampires, sex, and danger, this book captured me from the very first par
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
If you’re reading this, you at least trust some of my judgment when it comes to books. That being said, stop and go purchase this book. I can tell you that I absolutely fell in love with it! The worldbuilding is astounding and makes me wish I could put on a corset and dive right in. The characters are strong and vivid (and don’t forget sexy when it comes to Blade). The writing is unparalleled and upbeat and the last few chapters? Awe-fucking-some!

I don’t usually enjoy steampunk but this one has
So, so disappointing. And confusing enough that I have a headache now. I skimmed through the last 50 pages or so, but I'm still marking it as read. Another cover that ended up betraying me. :/

Group read with my fellow Dark Siders.
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Honoria Todd and her younger siblings have disguised themselves and fled to Whitechapel, the roughest and one of the most dangerous places in London, to get away from the Echelon, the people who murdered their father. Whitechapel is one of the few places where the Blue Bloods don't have complete control, instead Blade a mysterious Rogue rules over them and he seems to have taken an interest in Honoria, but can he be trusted, or will he just use them as a pawn to get the revenge he desires over t ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Sometimes, a girl just needs some steamy romance in her life, even if it is of the paper (or well, audio) variety. A few days ago, I found myself in desperate need of just that – a hot, romantic steampunk read: part action, part interesting world and three parts swoon-worthy love story. With Kiss of Steel, that’s exactly what I got.

McMaster created a rather impressive world, one strong enough to be the foundation for a lengthy series, if necessary. Although steampunk is not her strong suit, the
After her father was murdered, Honoria fled from sadistic lord who wanted to possess her. With her sister and brother she has found a refuge in the rookeries of Whitechapel, an area ruled by criminal gangs. And the most dangerous gang of all is ruled by Blade. She has done her best to avoid his attention but little goes on on his turf that he doesn't know about.

With the evil duke still hunting her she reluctantly enters into a deal for Blade's protection...but what Blade doesn't realise is she
Susan (susayq ~)
This is definitely a 5 star read cause I finished it this morning and haven't been able to get Blade and Honoria off my mind since. I loved their romance. It wasn't too fast and there wasn't any extra added drama, just for the sake of drama. I really liked Blade. While he was a badass Blue Blood, he had this vulnerable side that came out when he was with Honoria.

The world that was created for this series was great too. While I admit to being a little confused about vampires and Blue Bloods at f

My first steampunk novel and what's not to like, really? A wonderful mix of historical, paranormal and sci-fi. There's nothing missing from this book!
Anzu The Great Destroyer
For those of you who are thinking what the hell is wrong with her for even trying this book, let me tell you something. A group read is a group read. You have to show some solidarity. You have to stick to your friends no matter one. I managed to stick to my fellow buddy-readers for about 15% of the book. I could not take more.

The main reason why I hated Kiss of Steel is the cheese. I don’t like cheesy books, and I hate cheesy romances. And this, my friends, is a cheesy romance. (no surprise ther
Another fantastic steampunk series!!!

Excellent characters, great plot, very interesting world-building, fantastic writing, witty dialogue, hotness over the charts... what more could I want?

Really, really excellent!

... and this is one of those times when I'm asking myself what have I waited for to start reading it!!!???
Kiss of Steel
4.5 Stars

Forced into the squalor of the East End following her father's death, Honoria Todd must swallow her pride and seek aid from the most notorious rogue in the city. Blade, aka The Devil of Whitechapel, rules the slums with a ruthless hand but finds himself unable to turn Honoria away.

Readers expecting a traditional Steampunk novel will be disappointed as these elements are quite minor and contribute very little to the overall world building, plot and characterization. Neverthe
I received an advanced copy of Bec McMaster’s Kiss of Steel from NetGalley. This steampunk romance takes place in an alternate version of historical England. In this alternate London, the Echelon rule the country and the poor are relegated to Whitechapel where their ruler, Blade, takes care of justice.

The Echelon is where McMaster plays with the conventions of vampires, as these upper class citizens are what I’m going to refer to as “pre-vampires.” In this version of England, there is a disease
Aly is so frigging bored
Buddy read with the fellow Dark Siders

We usually start with character pictures, but today we are rebels! Here’s Blade and Honoria’s London by artist Eddie Mendoza(

Aly: Hello dears, today we are reviewing one of our Dark Side group read. It was a pleasure to read with all the girls. Now, Maru, how do you feel about this book?
Maru: I really liked, I had super high hopes for it and it almost fulfill them all. What about you?
Aly: Kind of the same way. It w
Five HUGE shiny stars!!!

Review originally posted at

ARC provided by SourcebooksCasa

"A little kitten, all of my own," he purred. "Far from home."

Kiss of Steel is a gritty story about defeat, survival and love in the 1880s alternate world London that Bec McMaster excels in creating. There are steampunk elements, yet they do not overwhelm the story line. This book has just rocketed to the top of my "highly recommended" list and if you are a fan of PNR, I think this debut no
Excellent, excellent, excellent. Original story, characters, world building and a wonderful romance with a hero who’s now one of my favorites and a great heroine. My initial uncertainty regarding such odd setup (paranormal, steampunk) disappeared in the first pages. I could not put this book down and will read all of the next books of this series. What an unexpected and soooo welcomed surprise from a new author!
HERO is a Leader, who became the ruler of his region after escaping from captivity a
This book definitely had some steampunk elements but read a little but more like a historical paranormal romance. Bec McMaster has written something unique and fascinating here...she took vampires and added her own spin, in fact i don't know that i've ever read anything like it before...that's hard to pull off in this genre or any, for that matter, being as how there are so many "copycats" out these days. There was a good mix of action/suspense, romance and intrigue and had just enough smexiness ...more
Camly Nguyen
Uhhh...Not really sure what to think about this...

Summary: Honoria randomly comes looking for a protector because there's a large bounty on her head. She finds Blade. She pays him with speaking lessons because she's broke. (By the end of the book, she didn't even give one single lesson and he still speaks improperly.Lol dafuq?) Anyways, turns out, she keeps running out of money and needs Blade to save her brother's life so she pays with sexual favors and blood (he's a blue blood so he feeds off
When I decided to go with Steampunk Romance for my personal reading challenge in April 2014, I totally had no idea about the criteria of a good steampunk romance. Based on my lack of knowledge, I only knew Steampunk Romance as romance set in alternative (usually) Victorian age, combining historical with technology. I also used This Listopia to help me.

In that sense, I thought Kiss of Steel was rather steampunk-lite. Maybe it was the best, since I didn't know if the technology part would heighten
Jacob Proffitt
Some pretty weak world-building and heavy-handed authorial intrusion made it hard for me to fully engage with this book despite some characters I rather liked.

Weak world building: take vampirism, make it a disease with a progression from "Blue Blood" to Fade to Vampire. You can't control how the disease progresses (that anybody talked about) and your colleagues will kill you once you progress to Fade (because bloodlust takes over). The only real timeline I could find suggests you had maybe 80 ye
Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres*
Blade's hand tightened on her shoulder, reluctant to let her go. But then he felt her body tense and forced himself to release her. No point scaring her off. He'd have to move slowly, let her get used to him. For he intended to have her. It was just a matter of when.

Kiss of Steel was an unexpected gem of a book with fantastic characters, good action, and hotness hotness hotness! This books gets an easy five stars from me and leaves me waiting on the edge of my seat for book two!

McMaster created
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

From the very first page of Kiss of Steel I was swept away by Bec McMaster’s lovely writing style; her three dimensional characters, stunning dialogues and surreal universe are so brilliantly executed that I’m giving this book a 5+ star rating.

This is a story about vampires but McMaster does such a brilliant job of claiming them as her own that they almost felt new again. There are three different subgroups to the vamps in her lore and I really enjoyed the way that we get
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
A refreshing and imaginative fusion of steampunk,vampire and historical romance by new Australian author, Bec McMaster. In an alternate 19th century version of London the seven houses of the Echelon of Blue Bloods, blood drinking aristocracy rule London under the Prince-Regent and his human Queen. The seedy underbelly of London in Whitechapel is the territory of Blade a rogue Blue Blood, lethal, cockney and dangerously appealing to one Honoria Todd who must take shelter in his dominion. Thus set ...more
5 stars
(and even not make my Top Read this year, I can't forget the story. Especially the hero, Blade)

Great debut from Bec McMaster! Who is... Australian author. I think some authors from the southern continent are blessed, eh? :) We must show love for Australian authors, since they can be the next big thing.

Honoria Todd must flee from her patronize noble, the Duke Vickers and Echelon, the high authority of London (or alternate London) which are blue blood. Blue blood is someone who tainted by v
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Anyone in Osaka, Japan? 8 101 Sep 12, 2015 03:37AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 19, 2015 04:28PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Discuss Kiss of Steel - October Alt Pick 56 234 Nov 10, 2014 02:15PM
Steampunk, New We...: London Steampunk By Bec McMaster 14 26 Nov 05, 2014 07:04PM
Who's Your Author?: September BOM Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster 12 45 Oct 04, 2014 08:19AM
North Vagolinians: This topic has been closed to new comments. October 2014 1 4 Sep 30, 2014 08:34PM
North Vagolinians: London Steampunk 1 3 Sep 30, 2014 08:20PM
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • Riveted (Iron Seas, #3)
  • Wicked as They Come (Blud, #1)
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • The Seduction of Phaeton Black (Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #1)
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
Bec McMaster lives in a small town in country Victoria, Australia, and grew up with her nose in a book. A member of Romance Writers of America, she writes sexy, dark paranormals and steampunk romance. When not reading, writing or poring over travel brochures, she loves spending time with her very own hero or daydreaming about new worlds.
More about Bec McMaster...

London Steampunk (6 books)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3)
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5)
  • Untitled
Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2) My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3) Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5) Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4) Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5)

“I am tempted to incapacitate him with the hemlock and then castrate him.”
Lena paled. “I don’t think that would be very wise,” she said. “And the only knife we own is what I use for the cooking. You’re not using that.”
“I was planning on using a spoon,” Honoria replied.”
“You're staring."

"Can't 'elp meself, he replied. You were made to be stared at.”