Start by marking “Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)

Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  4,205 ratings  ·  655 reviews
When Nowhere Is Safe

Most people avoid the dreaded Whitechapel district. For Honoria Todd, it's the last safe haven. But at what price?

Blade is known as the master of the rookeries—no one dares cross him. It's been said he faced down the Echelon's army single-handedly, that ever since being infected by the blood-craving he's been quicker, stronger, and almost immortal.

When
Published September 4th 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss of Steel, please sign up.

Jill

Six months ago, Honoria Todd, her sister and brother moved into Whitechapel to escape the Duke of Vickers, knowing the rookeries was the one place he would not dare to come. Instead Vickers placed a reward on her head. Blade is the self-styled ruler of Whitechapel and has his own reasons for thwarting Vickers. If Vickers wants Honoria so badly, then Blade is determined to hold on to Honoria all the more.

When Honoria is summoned to see Blade, he offers her 'protection'. For a price. Wan
Shawna
Sep 30, 2012 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of paranormal and/or steampunk romance
Shelves: gothic-romance, historical-romance, historical-romance-victorian, paranormal-romance, pnr-vampires, steampunk, hero-tattalizing, tattoos-piercings-body-art, pnr-weres-cats-wolves-shifters, heroine-miss-independent, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, hero-antihero-gamma, urban-fantasy, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, rt-book-reviews-4-and-a-half-stars, hh-deaf-mute-speech-disorder, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hero-affable-lovable-rogue, hero-alpha, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-brooding, hero-cad-rake-rogue-scoundrel, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-commoner-self-made, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-or-heroine-illegitimate, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, heroine-bluestocking-unconventional, heroine-classy-lady, heroine-destitute-poor, heroine-good-girl-nice, heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap-annoying, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, heroine-prim-proper-decorous, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-pygmalion-theme, hh-riches-to-rags, hh-rags-to-riches, hh-smart-intellectual-brainy-geek, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, i-read-library, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, steam-2-warm, steam-3-hot, villain-uber-bad-nasty, violence-reader-discretion-advised, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, action-packed, bec-mcmaster-london-steampunk, 2012-reads, 4-to-5-stars, action-adventure-treasure-hunting, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, badasses-hunks-in-leather, best-faves-of-2012, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-friendships, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hero-black-sheep, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-sassy-full-of-attitude, heroine-undeserving-of-awesome-hero, hh-across-the-tracks, hh-warrior, wager
4 ½ stars – Paranormal Romance/Steampunk

It’s been a while since I’ve read such an imaginative paranormal romance. Bec McMaster has penned a noteworthy debut that’s bold, inventive, engrossing, and sensual. I really enjoyed this!

McMaster has crafted an intricate, alternate London set historical with memorable, complex characters and unique elements of paranormal, steampunk, vampires, and verwulfen blended seamlessly without excessive world building to bog down the pacing or impede the romance. T
Fathima
“But I’m ’fraid I’ll ’urt you.”
Honoria took his hand and dragged it lower. She slid it under her skirts, against the heated skin of her thigh. “That fear is why I know you won’t,” she whispered. Her other hand went to his nape and she dragged his mouth back to hers. “Make love to me, Blade. And don’t stop.”

* Le sigh * I'm actually shocked by how much I enjoyed reading this ... For the love of steampunk , this was awesome !!!

Steampunk has always been a subject of fascination for me . From th
Alkyoni
Apr 07, 2013 Alkyoni rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Paranormal Historical Romance with a Steampunk touch
Recommended to Alkyoni by: Group Read with the Dark Side (I hate you all)

His hands came up and captured her face between them. “Damn you,” he cursed. And then he took her mouth in a blistering kiss.

*sob*

I am so happy this is over that I want to weep, mentally high-five myself for finishing it, open a bottle of tequila to celebrate and then treat me to a two week vacation to Aruba.

And the funny thing is that the poor book was not THAT bad.

It was all a huge misunderstanding, I'm telling you. This book and I, we were never meant to happen. I joined the group reading un
Melindeeloo
Please forgive me while I rave about Kiss of Steel - what a great melding of steampunk and paranormal romance. I have become enamored with steampunk romance recently, but there aren't many books in the genre where the steampunk trappings are integral to the story. Kiss of Steel is one of the rare ones where the steampunk elements are woven into the fabric of the background instead of relying on 'hey, there's an airship' decorating the story in order to steampunk-ize it. And I thought that the al ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic

Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, London Steampunk Series
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy

I. Loved. This book.

Dark, and gritty, with a scrumptious blend of steampunk, vampires, sex, and danger, this book captured me from the very first par
Felicia
OKAY Vampires and werewolves and steampunk AND victoriana? wow it's a lot mashed together in series these days. I've actually read SEVERAL series with these mashups, but I think this one did a very good job, moreso than other books I've read, to make it a believable world.

The main character is hiding from the bad aristocratic vampires in the outcast part of London ruled by the sexy outcast vampire. I mean, it's pretty obvious what's gonna happen with the setup (the relationship part) but the jo
Dija
So, so disappointing. And confusing enough that I have a headache now. I skimmed through the last 50 pages or so, but I'm still marking it as read. Another cover that ended up betraying me. :/

Group read with my fellow Dark Siders.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
If you’re reading this, you at least trust some of my judgment when it comes to books. That being said, stop and go purchase this book. I can tell you that I absolutely fell in love with it! The worldbuilding is astounding and makes me wish I could put on a corset and dive right in. The characters are strong and vivid (and don’t forget sexy when it comes to Blade). The writing is unparalleled and upbeat and the last few chapters? Awe-fucking-some!

I don’t usually enjoy steampunk but this one has
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Sometimes, a girl just needs some steamy romance in her life, even if it is of the paper (or well, audio) variety. A few days ago, I found myself in desperate need of just that – a hot, romantic steampunk read: part action, part interesting world and three parts swoon-worthy love story. With Kiss of Steel, that’s exactly what I got.

McMaster created a rather impressive world, one strong enough to be the foundation for a lengthy series, if necessary. Although steampunk is not her strong suit, the
Ian
After her father was murdered, Honoria fled from sadistic lord who wanted to possess her. With her sister and brother she has found a refuge in the rookeries of Whitechapel, an area ruled by criminal gangs. And the most dangerous gang of all is ruled by Blade. She has done her best to avoid his attention but little goes on on his turf that he doesn't know about.

With the evil duke still hunting her she reluctantly enters into a deal for Blade's protection...but what Blade doesn't realise is she
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Honoria Todd and her younger siblings have disguised themselves and fled to Whitechapel, the roughest and one of the most dangerous places in London, to get away from the Echelon, the people who murdered their father. Whitechapel is one of the few places where the Blue Bloods don't have complete control, instead Blade a mysterious Rogue rules over them and he seems to have taken an interest in Honoria, but can he be trusted, or will he just use them as a pawn to get the revenge he desires over t ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
This is definitely a 5 star read cause I finished it this morning and haven't been able to get Blade and Honoria off my mind since. I loved their romance. It wasn't too fast and there wasn't any extra added drama, just for the sake of drama. I really liked Blade. While he was a badass Blue Blood, he had this vulnerable side that came out when he was with Honoria.

The world that was created for this series was great too. While I admit to being a little confused about vampires and Blue Bloods at f
Anzu The Great Destroyer
For those of you who are thinking what the hell is wrong with her for even trying this book, let me tell you something. A group read is a group read. You have to show some solidarity. You have to stick to your friends no matter one. I managed to stick to my fellow buddy-readers for about 15% of the book. I could not take more.

The main reason why I hated Kiss of Steel is the cheese. I don’t like cheesy books, and I hate cheesy romances. And this, my friends, is a cheesy romance. (no surprise ther
Kara-karina
4.5/5
Egalley thanks to Sourcebooks Casablanca
Please, someone, hold me! This book is scorching. *grinning*

If you're looking for pure steampunk, this is not it. Kiss of Steel is a paranormal historical romance with steampunk-ish elements, and oh boy it's done sooo well!

You get a classic trope of a damsel in distress falling on hard times and living in poor areas of London with two younger siblings. However, Honoria Todd is no gentle flower. Her father was an inventor working on a vaccine against v
Jamie
Five HUGE shiny stars!!!

Review originally posted at www.Addicted2Heroines.com

ARC provided by SourcebooksCasa

"A little kitten, all of my own," he purred. "Far from home."

Kiss of Steel is a gritty story about defeat, survival and love in the 1880s alternate world London that Bec McMaster excels in creating. There are steampunk elements, yet they do not overwhelm the story line. This book has just rocketed to the top of my "highly recommended" list and if you are a fan of PNR, I think this debut no
Carisa
Excellent, excellent, excellent. Original story, characters, world building and a wonderful romance with a hero who’s now one of my favorites and a great heroine. My initial uncertainty regarding such odd setup (paranormal, steampunk) disappeared in the first pages. I could not put this book down and will read all of the next books of this series. What an unexpected and soooo welcomed surprise from a new author!
HERO is a Leader, who became the ruler of his region after escaping from captivity a
 ~V~
This book definitely had some steampunk elements but read a little but more like a historical paranormal romance. Bec McMaster has written something unique and fascinating here...she took vampires and added her own spin, in fact i don't know that i've ever read anything like it before...that's hard to pull off in this genre or any, for that matter, being as how there are so many "copycats" out these days. There was a good mix of action/suspense, romance and intrigue and had just enough smexiness ...more
Mei
Another fantastic steampunk series!!!

Excellent characters, great plot, very interesting world-building, fantastic writing, witty dialogue, hotness over the charts... what more could I want?

Really, really excellent!

... and this is one of those times when I'm asking myself what have I waited for to start reading it!!!???
Ami
When I decided to go with Steampunk Romance for my personal reading challenge in April 2014, I totally had no idea about the criteria of a good steampunk romance. Based on my lack of knowledge, I only knew Steampunk Romance as romance set in alternative (usually) Victorian age, combining historical with technology. I also used This Listopia to help me.

In that sense, I thought Kiss of Steel was rather steampunk-lite. Maybe it was the best, since I didn't know if the technology part would heighten
Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres*
Blade's hand tightened on her shoulder, reluctant to let her go. But then he felt her body tense and forced himself to release her. No point scaring her off. He'd have to move slowly, let her get used to him. For he intended to have her. It was just a matter of when.

Kiss of Steel was an unexpected gem of a book with fantastic characters, good action, and hotness hotness hotness! This books gets an easy five stars from me and leaves me waiting on the edge of my seat for book two!

McMaster created
Jaclyn
I received an advanced copy of Bec McMaster’s Kiss of Steel from NetGalley. This steampunk romance takes place in an alternate version of historical England. In this alternate London, the Echelon rule the country and the poor are relegated to Whitechapel where their ruler, Blade, takes care of justice.

The Echelon is where McMaster plays with the conventions of vampires, as these upper class citizens are what I’m going to refer to as “pre-vampires.” In this version of England, there is a disease
Aly is so frigging bored
Buddy read with the fellow Dark Siders

We usually start with character pictures, but today we are rebels! Here’s Blade and Honoria’s London by artist Eddie Mendoza(http://eddiemendoza8.blogspot.ro/2012...).

Aly: Hello dears, today we are reviewing one of our Dark Side group read. It was a pleasure to read with all the girls. Now, Maru, how do you feel about this book?
Maru: I really liked, I had super high hopes for it and it almost fulfill them all. What about you?
Aly: Kind of the same way. It w
Emmy
5 out of 5 Stars
ARC provided by Sourcebooks Casablanca.
Release date: September 4th, 2012
Review posted at Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews

This was a pleasant surprise. Honoria is a young woman taking care of her younger sister and sick little brother. Their father died around six months before this takes place and whatever he was doing, caused his children to escape and go in to hiding.

Whitechapel is home to the infamous Blade. Rougue Blue Blood who has staked his claim in Whitechapel. You don't
NiteReader
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!
A new favourite has just made the list!
This was my very first steampunk, paranormal romance and I am hooked. The story is fresh, the characters are beautifully drawn and the romance is just steamy enough. I need to read the next book, NOW.
Lauren
Kiss of Steel
4.5 Stars

Forced into the squalor of the East End following her father's death, Honoria Todd must swallow her pride and seek aid from the most notorious rogue in the city. Blade, aka The Devil of Whitechapel, rules the slums with a ruthless hand but finds himself unable to turn Honoria away.

Readers expecting a traditional Steampunk novel will be disappointed as these elements are quite minor and contribute very little to the overall world building, plot and characterization. Neverthe
Elifobeth
3.5

ทิ้งไว้นานจนตอนนี้ลืมหมดแล้วว่าเรื่องเป็นยังไง เราค่อนข้างคาดหวังกับเรื่องนี้ค่อนข้างมากเพราะเสียงตอบรับจากในGRค่อนไปทางดีถึงดีมาก รวมถึงเราพึ่งอ่านเรื่องThe Iron Dukeจบไปเมื่อต้นปีแล้วติดใจมาก แนวSteampunkเหมือนกันด้วย ยิ่งมั่นใจความสนุกแบบเต็มที่ แต่พออ่านจบเรากลับไม่ถูกใจขนาดนั้น ความสัมพันธ์ระหว่างพระนางค่อนข้างโอเคนะ แต่เราไม่ค่อยอินเท่าไหร่เพราะเราไม่ชอบบางพฤติกรรมของนางเอกโดยเฉพาะช่วงท้ายๆของเรื่อง นางเอกดูทำอะไรแล้วคิดน้อยไปหน่อยแต่เราเข้าใจแหละว่าคิดแล้ว ชอบทำให้พระเอกหนักใจบ่อยๆ นอก
Jacob Proffitt
Some pretty weak world-building and heavy-handed authorial intrusion made it hard for me to fully engage with this book despite some characters I rather liked.

Weak world building: take vampirism, make it a disease with a progression from "Blue Blood" to Fade to Vampire. You can't control how the disease progresses (that anybody talked about) and your colleagues will kill you once you progress to Fade (because bloodlust takes over). The only real timeline I could find suggests you had maybe 80 ye
Paranormal Haven

Honor can no longer keep her family safe and fed on her own, she knows she must ask the dangerous leader of the rookeries for help, but can she trust him? Once she meets him it may be herself she cannot trust. This over bearing stubborn man has made her feel things she could never have imagined. This only scares her more and she pushes him away only to draw him in again when she needs help. She will have to figure a way to admit her feelings to him or at least herself, because he has no
Marulett
Buddy read with the Dark Side chicas :)

Joint review with Aly

Aly: Kind
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Discuss Kiss of Steel - October Alt Pick 56 227 Nov 10, 2014 02:15PM
Steampunk, New We...: London Steampunk By Bec McMaster 14 24 Nov 05, 2014 07:04PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Anyone in Osaka, Japan? 2 14 Oct 09, 2014 11:41AM
Who's Your Author?: September BOM Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster 12 45 Oct 04, 2014 08:19AM
North Vagolinians: This topic has been closed to new comments. October 2014 1 3 Sep 30, 2014 08:34PM
North Vagolinians: London Steampunk 1 3 Sep 30, 2014 08:20PM
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • Wicked as They Come (Blud, #1)
  • Riveted (Iron Seas, #3)
  • Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1)
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • The Seduction of Phaeton Black (Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #1)
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
Bec McMaster lives in a small town in country Victoria, Australia, and grew up with her nose in a book. A member of Romance Writers of America, she writes sexy, dark paranormals and steampunk romance. When not reading, writing or poring over travel brochures, she loves spending time with her very own hero or daydreaming about new worlds.
More about Bec McMaster...
Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2) My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3) Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5) Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4) The Curious Case Of The Clockwork Menace (London Steampunk, #3.5)

“I am tempted to incapacitate him with the hemlock and then castrate him.”
Lena paled. “I don’t think that would be very wise,” she said. “And the only knife we own is what I use for the cooking. You’re not using that.”
“I was planning on using a spoon,” Honoria replied.”
21 likes
“You're staring."

"Can't 'elp meself, he replied. You were made to be stared at.”
15 likes