Start by marking “To Protect An Heiress” as Want to Read:
To Protect An Heiress

To Protect An Heiress

In To Protect an Heiress a serial killer is stalking the streets in this tale of suspense, mystery and unexpected passion. The tale is set among the elegant salons and ballrooms of Regency England.
Mass Market Paperback, 349 pages
Published July 1st 2002 by Zebra (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about To Protect An Heiress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Protect An Heiress

Cruth
Author: Adrienne Basso
First published: 2002
Length: 4426 locations (kindle)
Setting: London, 1810. Regency.
Sex: (Deliberately) Unsatisfactory at first, gets better and frequent. Vague reference to an m/m interlude for secondary character.
Hero: Widow who has taken to role of rogue with hard drinking, gambling, whoring to deal with his loss.
Heroine: Friend to Trevor's late wife.
Almost Cheating: Trevor has a mistress at the start of the book.

A really enjoyable romance with a solid mystery. Good, mult
Amber
Nov 07, 2013 Amber rated it it was ok
So...this is one where it's tough to make a call. I *think* that if someone asked me I'd say this is worth a read. And yet I rate it only two stars. The problem is that (view spoiler) was far more interesting than the love story for me. This is a romance novel. Thus we have a problem. Another thing was the angst level. It was a little too high for my tastes, but that hasn't stopped me from recommending books in the past. So...while for me this was ...more
Lady Day
I have read two of Ms. Basso novels, and they never fail to evoke a sense of realism. She is becoming a go-to author when I need a good book. HR lovers will be happy with a scandalous romance taking center stage. Also, there are more connected novels.

The characters are the narrative's jewel. The author clearly portrayed the importance of marriage for a Regency era female. Also, I understood the hero's reaction to pain and suffering following a tragedy. Response to grief is a major theme. The aut
Rosi
Jan 15, 2014 Rosi rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
Tory
Feb 25, 2013 Tory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trevor's wife dies suddenly in the first chapter of the book. She is Meredith's best friend. Eight years later, Trevor has become a rake, and is afraid to love again. Trevor makes a bet with Meredith's brothers (not knowing that they are related to Meredith). The bet is that they cannot find a passionate spinster. The brother's approach Meredith, asking her to kiss Trevor in order to win the bet. Unfortunately Meredith gets caught and in trying to help the situation, Trevor makes it worse and en ...more
bell
Jun 30, 2015 bell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This really wasn't much of a romance at all, it more leaned towards a mystery. In fact the romance part of the story never showed up until almost the very end. I found the heroine pretty unlikeable, she was very unemotional and detached. I found myself wondering why the hero even liked her , let alone put up with her. There wasn't any chemistry between them and I sincerely felt the hero deserved someone better. Is it worth reading for free? Sure..
Katie
Sep 07, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
To Protect an Heiress was an entertaining read that did not fit the normal Regency Romance mold. It had all of the elements of a true romance novel, but it also had the added twist of a parallel plot of a serial killer roaming the streets of London.

The characters were distinct and relatable. The story was well written and did a good job of foreshadowing without giving too much away. I enjoyed it, and would highly recommend it to others.
Loren
Aug 21, 2013 Loren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-regency
I genuinely liked the characters and empathized with them, but I shouldn't have liked this book as much as I did. The villain's motives made no real sense, the hero's anxiety about his relationship with the heroine evidenced itself in a strange way, and the heroine fell in love way too fast, but I enjoyed the book nonetheless. If I could rate this 3.5 stars, I would, but instead I'll err on the generous side and give it 4.
*MariaA*
Apr 03, 2013 *MariaA* rated it really liked it
GREAT!!! enjoyed it immensely, a very different plot since you don't get to read of serial killers in HR's and strong characters ,the H&H.
Milena Benini
Dec 31, 2013 Milena Benini rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, historicals
A book that tries to be a historical, a romance, and a mystery, and mostly fails on all accounts. Not entirely, though.
C
C rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2011
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Enigma Monkey
Enigma Monkey rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Kathy Greene
Kathy Greene rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Michelle Gibson
Michelle Gibson rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013
Dulce M.
Dulce M. rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2012
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2014
Ewa
Ewa rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2009
Deb G.
Deb G. rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2014
Addie
Addie rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Donna
Donna rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2014
Mirielka
Mirielka rated it liked it
May 01, 2015
Abbie
Abbie rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Lord of Secrets
  • A Dangerous Man
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • A Season to Be Sinful (Grantham, #1)
  • Outlander 8-Book Bundle
  • My Darling Caroline
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • His Scandal (His Trilogy, #2)
  • Not So Innocent
  • In For a Penny
  • The Soldier And The Baby
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • The Wife Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #2)
  • The Great Alone
  • Under The Kissing Bough
  • A Study in Scandal (Scandalous, #3.5)
  • The Italian's Ruthless Marriage Bargain
  • Sweet Deception (Veiled Seduction, #2)
Between stints as a corporate financial analyst, marketing consultant, public librarian, wife and mother, Adrienne Basso has parlayed her vivid imagination and desire to tell romantic stories into a writing career. Regency England is her favorite time period and thus far she has set all her historical novels during that elegant time. She enjoys the challenge of creating stories that emphasize the ...more
More about Adrienne Basso...