Start by marking “The Children's Illustrated Bible” as Want to Read:
The Children's Illustrated Bible

The Children's Illustrated Bible

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Over 100 stories from the Old and New Testament that includes vivid full-color illustrations,
Hardcover
Published March 15th 1994 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Children's Illustrated Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Children's Illustrated Bible

Qi
Jul 22, 2016 Qi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to-books
The merits of this book are obvious -- nice, handy bindings, good combination of texts and graphics, key maps and photographs. But how does the compiler filtering out the contents for children? All the group punishment and suffering aside, how can one avoid the Abraham and Issac, or Jephathah's Daughter? The former had a happy ending but then we have the heart-wrenching actual death of Jephathah's daughter in the hand of her father. At least this compilation did not flinch from these stories. I ...more
Karawan
Jul 20, 2011 Karawan rated it really liked it
Had to step out of Mass this morning due to a 10-month-old that wanted to practice his new walking skills. I saw this on a table in the church's library and picked it up. I was easily able to find the parable that the priest was discussing in the next room and read it to my son. He listened and looked at the pages but could still crawl around the way he needed to. So he still got something spiritual out of the morning!

I've only read a few pages, but I like the format and the illustrations. It se
MerryMeerkat
Jan 06, 2015 MerryMeerkat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very juicy, adorable book about bats going to a library. Highly recommend for young children. I really hope Owen will like this as much as I did. The art is really nice as well.

Library Copy.
Jenn M
Sep 29, 2015 Jenn M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful colored drawings that spark young imaginations of what favorite Biblical scenes may have looked like as they read or listen to timeless Bible stories.
Jill
Loved this children's version of the Bible. My husband and I wanted something that would be easy to understand for our children and would not leave out stories for illustration sake. Too many Bible we came across left our so many stories (went from Jonah to the birth of Christ) or left out everything after the resurrection. We wanted the WHOLE Bible in children's language. This Bible has been exactly what we were looking for and we have been so happy with it. We read it every night during our fa ...more
Danny
Mostly accurate to the Biblical text, but has excellent pictures and historical explanations of the times
Kathy
Jul 02, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best read, reread, reread with my daughter
♥Xeni♥
Dec 07, 2010 ♥Xeni♥ rated it really liked it
As bibles go, I think I liked this one best. The only part that's at all interesting about the bible are the stories, and this DK book really makes them appear for what they are: exaggerated myths for children to behave so that the boogey-man doesn't get them. I read it a few times as a child, and I have a better background and understanding of the bible (and due to that, the crazy thing that is religion) thanks to this illustrated bible.
Brian Chan
May 13, 2013 Brian Chan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Varghese Jose
Mar 11, 2013 Varghese Jose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The kids like it as it is easier to relate to this version. The pictures are simple and illustrative. A good buy even though it doesn't adhere to a specific bible version it definitely is the better version to get the kids interested in learning the Bible.
Maryann
I was trying to incorporate the bible in our history lessons, and was excited when I came across this book. I love how this book makes the bible accessible to children without adding made-up details, and covers more than the usual stories.
Sharon
Oct 18, 2009 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I like it for not cleaning up the messy parts and good pictures. The last two stars I withheld because they left out too many of the best stories - especially in Judges - and because their storytelling needs work.
Christina
Wonderful illustrations. A few minor liberties taken with the stories, and some background info to the sides of the stories that I could do without. So, illustrations 4.5 stars and text 3.5.
Grace
Jul 11, 2016 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
This children's Bible is beautifully illustrated. The stories are well-written and easy to read for kids. The fun-facts are very interesting and add value to the Bible stories.
Shannon
Mar 18, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible
Another great children's Bible. I would not recommend this to children younger than 5, though. It's more "informative" than some of the others.
ElizaBeth
This isn't the illustrated Bible I had, but close enough. Let it be said that the Bible IS, in fact, good reading when in cartoon format.
Bean
A good intro to Christian religion... Although still agnostic after reading it.
Naylaf
This book helps explain all the aspects of life through religion.
Vanessa Lee
Dec 29, 2012 Vanessa Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite children's Bible
Emre Senoglu
Elizabeth Grace Peterson
Elizabeth Grace Peterson is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2016
Emma Lam
Emma Lam is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2016
Leslie
Leslie is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2016
Ron Riley
Ron Riley rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
SW
SW rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
  • The Great Wall Of China
  • The Child's Story Bible
  • Ancient Greece
  • The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)
  • Tutankhamen's Gift
  • Cleopatra
  • The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
  • Tomie DePaola's Book of Bible Stories
  • Egermeier's Bible Story Book
  • Old Testament Stories
  • Peril and Peace: Chronicles of the Ancient Church (History Lives #1)
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
  • City: A Story of Roman Planning and Construction
  • Children Just Like Me
  • Tirzah
  • If the Spirit Moves You
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • NKJV, American Patriot's Bible, Hardcover: The Word of God and the Shaping of America
2077
Selina Shirley Hastings (born 5 March 1945) is a British journalist who became an author and biographer.

The elder daughter of Francis, 16th Earl of Huntingdon, by his second marriage, Hastings was educated at St. Hugh's College, Oxford, where she took an MA degree.

Hastings has written books including Sir Gawain and the Loathly Lady (1985), Nancy Mitford (1986), The Singing Ringing Tree (1988), The
More about Selina Shirley Hastings...