Start by marking “Atheist Voices of Minnesota: An Anthology of Personal Stories” as Want to Read:
Atheist Voices of Minnesota: An Anthology of Personal Stories

Atheist Voices of Minnesota: An Anthology of Personal Stories

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Atheists have turned a corner in public visibility in recent years, but they nevertheless remain one of America's most misunderstood and mistrusted groups of people. Atheist Voices of Minnesota attempts to address these preconceptions by letting thirty-six atheists openly share their personal and unique stories. The results are touching, fascinating, and diverse. This coll ...more
Published August 28th 2012 by Freethought House (first published August 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Atheist Voices of Minnesota, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atheist Voices of Minnesota

Ariana
As an atheist, I picked this up hoping to see something I identified with as well as some new ideas. I kind of got both, but it was still unsatisfying.

I think maybe I was hoping for answers, the way that religious people are hoping for answers when they turn to their sacred texts. But atheists have belief systems that vary as widely as the belief systems of religious people. It is the lack of a framework that makes being an atheist just as frustrating as it is liberating, I think. Being an athe
Russell
This book is unique as compared with the typical books on atheism. This isn't one person spouting their philosophy or antireligious rhetoric: this is a collection of personal, real-life experiences of everyday people: some funny, some touching, some inspiring, and some challenging. There needs to be more of this sort of thing.
Paulette
Very, very interesting personal stories from lots of different backgrounds.
It's important that atheists can "come out" and be accepted as valuable people with their own personal beliefs, different from religious beliefs. They are as moral or immoral as religious folks.
Jill
This book was honest, funny and compelling. Every author had a new story and I was impressed with the diversity of talent. I happen to be a Minnesotan, but readers around the world will easily relate to these poignant short stories. Highly recommended.
Leah
A collection of essays by Minnesota atheists on various topics, mostly centered around how they came to atheism or how it informs their lives. Varying quality, but by and large they are very well-written, compelling little stories.
Ken Schaefer
Nice to read a book with writings from people I have met. At least a few I have met.
Nicole ♥
Nicole ♥ marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Kurikesh George
Kurikesh George marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Tana
Tana marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
diana thompson-buchanan
diana thompson-buchanan marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Shannon
Dec 13, 2013 Shannon added it  ·  (Review from the author)
NormaCenva
NormaCenva marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Andrew Masciantonio
Andrew Masciantonio marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Bryan Poole
Bryan Poole marked it as to-read
May 03, 2013
Xaara Meh
Xaara Meh marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
Michael Mariani
Michael Mariani marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Paul Zachary Myers is an American biology professor at the University of Minnesota Morris (UMM) and the author of the science blog Pharyngula. He is currently an associate professor of biology at UMM, works with zebrafish in the field of evolutionary developmental biology (evo-devo), and also cultivates an interest in cephalopods. He has published numerous research papers in Nature and other notab ...more
More about P.Z. Myers...