Start by marking “Jars of Clay (Jars of Clay #1)” as Want to Read:
Jars of Clay (Jars of Clay #1)

Jars of Clay (Jars of Clay #1)

Sixteen year old Helena Vibius is the daughter of a wealthy business man in the city of Carthage, North Africa in the year 199AD. She’s not granted a tutor like her two older brothers are and must be satisfied with the
ebook, kobo, 96 pages
Published September 2012 by ESB Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Jars of Clay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jars of Clay

Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
*I rated this story 4.5 stars. But I always round up to the next highest star for sites such as goodreads, Amazon, etc..

I adored this book more than what I thought I would. I actually thought that it might be a bit hard to read seeing as the story takes place 199 A.D. But Strauss did an amazing job keeping the dialogue simple and to the times...most of time. There was a time or two I thought certain words were too modern for that time period. But it certainly didn't take away from the story.

Lov
Jessie Harrell
Nov 16, 2012 Jessie Harrell rated it it was amazing
Great intro for the 2-book series. Helena is a lovely character and I so felt for the way she was trapped by her time. The love story is well-developed. I read this in about 2 evenings, so it is a quick read but one that makes you immediately turn to the sequel, Broken Vessels.
Noirfifre
Mar 25, 2015 Noirfifre rated it liked it
Shelves: period-novel
With excitement, I turn to this novel because I just read a story on clays and I liked it, however this novel is a completely different aspect as clay writing goes. A Roman setting is intriguing because I am always curious about the life of people during the Roman Empire.

I love that the author tried to show a view of both the title and servant life. Through Helena, the reader followed a rich compassionate girl free to roam {to the point of safety} but could not decide her fate. Through Felicity,
Denise
Jan 06, 2014 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A young adult (YA) story of the daughter (Helena Vibius) of a wealthy (Roman) citizen living in 199 A.D. around the site of Carthage, northern Africa. The story is similar to the theme of "Romeo and Juliet". Helena secretly tutors the son (Lucius) of her father's freedman. He wants to travel to Rome and make his fortune. She sets up clandestine meetings in a hidden alcove of her father's estate. There she teaches him Latin, geography, Roman culture and literature. If they are discovered, it woul ...more
Anna Zollinger
I got about a quarter of the way through this book and just couldn't do it anymore. I hate the way it's written and there's a bit of historical inaccuracy that just grates on my nerves.

Usually the style wouldn't bother me so much, but it's not very well done is the problem. It bounces too quickly between the female character's POV, the male character's POV, and then switches to diary of the female POV. On and off and on and off. I feel like the story would have just been better done if it had ke
Fida Islaih
Jan 25, 2013 Fida Islaih rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity
I love that it takes place in Tunisia. And that one scene where they were harvesting olives made me feel familiarity to my home that I have never been too, Palestine.

I also love that it has multiple povs of two people falling in love with each other. The girl is of higher status than the boy and already has an arranged marriage ahead of her. Yet I love their love interest and am sad the book ends with a sad cliffhanger.

There is a second volume and I can't wait to continue reading!
Bish Denham
Nov 06, 2012 Bish Denham rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I'd prefer to give this 3 and half stars. I think Lee Strauss probably did a lot of research for this book (except I don't think corn was available to the Old World until the New World was discovered.) It takes place in Carthage in 199 AD during Roman and early Christian times. It is the first book on a trilogy. I liked the story, was drawn into it and certainly I want to know what happens to Helena and Lucius.
Melissa
Aug 07, 2015 Melissa rated it did not like it
I really should stop just getting books from Amazon because they're free.

It also didn't help that the entire book was in italics. Seriously, the entire book.

This story is shallow and vapid. The characters are flat, and the plot is, too. Really nothing makes this anywhere close to a good book. The only redeeming quality was that it was incredibly short so I didn't waste too much time reading this.
Leigh Moore
Oct 04, 2012 Leigh Moore rated it it was amazing
Jars of Clay is an engaging Romeo + Juliet-style story of forbidden love between a noble girl and freed-slave boy. Ancient Carthage is beautifully described, as is the dominant male-oriented society. This first installment of Lucius and Helena's tale will have you immediately scrambling to get the conclusion, Broken Vessels (by the same author).
Kat
Aug 04, 2015 Kat rated it did not like it
There is this big, important rule about historical fiction. Like, MAKE IT HISTORICAL.

Placing characters in 200 AD and letting them say "Okay" to each other - against that rule.

And book was filled with headdesks like that, whether it was historical, character building and plot one. Actually, it nearly killed me with headdesks.

Oh, and it have insta-love. Of course it did.

Alyssa Greatbanks
This book wasn't too bad, the story was over-used, but the setting was interesting. I am a little upset that it is broken into multiple books. So far it doesn't seem long enough to require more then one book. I will probably read the rest so I can finish the story.
Jo Notary
94pgs, Jars of Clay + Broken Vessels = Romeo and Juliette in Ancient Rome
*Jars of Clay (volume 1) and Broken Vessels (volume 2) contain strong religious themes and scenes of sensuality and violence. Recommended for ages 15 and up.

Amy
I'm not sure this was all that well-written, but it still like the idea. Girl of privilege in ancient Carthage falls in live with a free servant in her father's house. A Christian family in the town is very briefly and subtly introduced. I'm intrigued enough to read part two.
Monica Maniatakos
Sep 11, 2013 Monica Maniatakos rated it it was ok
It was too short. I felt the characters were lacking depth. The plot went forward too quickly. I did like that it was in omniscent point of view so the reader could understand each character's motive. I just feel it need to be further developed.
Anne S
Apr 25, 2013 Anne S rated it really liked it
I liked this book, the setting was interesting and the detail of the life around them was well researched. On the whole the story flowed nicely.
Taylor
May 20, 2013 Taylor rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this read. I felt the author did a lot of research beforehand and that the story was interesting. My only issue was the dialogue wasn't always on par with the time period.
Marjorie
Jan 17, 2016 Marjorie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free, historical, novella
Not my cup of tea. Plot line was good. Didn't like the writting style. Too dry and driven by dialogue instead of by narrative and descriptions. Can't be too critical because it was free.
Emma
Mar 19, 2013 Emma rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book immensely. From the moment I started this book I could not stop. The conflict gripped me and the romance left me thinking of it steadily.
keith burdo
Jan 09, 2016 keith burdo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

The book was well written. A story of love, freedom, adventure and heart break. I look forward to reading the sequal.
Rebekah
Jan 04, 2015 Rebekah rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, kindle
This is the first time in a while that I have actually been excited to read the second book. I love stories during this time!
Jillian
Nov 01, 2013 Jillian rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

Could have been better. There wasn't enough character development and Strauss should have stuck with one or two POV.

Disappointed.
Karin Shaim
Dec 15, 2013 Karin Shaim rated it liked it
This book was different than many I read before,yet it didn't exceed my expectation,the plot was rushed.
Chris Alpizar
Dec 14, 2014 Chris Alpizar rated it liked it
Not bad. Ending leads up to sequel, which is much better.
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Jenif'r
Jenif'r rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Nicola
Nicola rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2013
NaKayla
Feb 02, 2013 NaKayla rated it liked it
2.5
Dan Gilbert
Dan Gilbert rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Amanda Becker
Amanda Becker rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Oriana
Oriana rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 05, 2015 12:01PM
  • Betrothal (Queen's Honor, #1)
  • Love, Tink (Love, Tink #1)
  • Her Christmas Pleasure (The Merry Widows #2)
  • Poisoned (Snow White, #1)
  • The Champion (Love Inspired Historical)
  • Jaguar Sun (Jaguar Sun, #1)
  • Silver Moon: The Complete Saga
  • Eye of the Beholder
  • Mythology (Mythology #1)
  • Lake Caerwych (Copper & Cobalt, #1)
  • Tiny Dancer
  • The Knife's Edge
  • Weighted (The Neumarian Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Gifted (Donovan Circus, #1)
  • Out of the Dragon's Mouth
  • Born of Fire (Channeler, #0.5)
  • ReAwakened (Angel Creek, #2)
  • A Knight's Enchantment
Lee Strauss is the international bestselling author of A Nursery Rhyme Suspense Series (Mystery/Thriller), The Perception Series (young adult dystopian), and young adult historical fiction with over 775,000 books read.

She also writes younger YA fantasy as Elle Strauss and inspirational romance as Hope Franke.
More about Lee Strauss...

Jars of Clay (2 books)
  • Broken Vessels (Jars of Clay #2)