Start by marking “Daybreak” as Want to Read:
Daybreak

Joan Baez

Daybreak

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Joan Baez' early autobiography. Gives insight into her pacivism and her humanitarian world views.
Published (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Daybreak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daybreak

Christopher Newton
Such a lovely little book. I've been reading from my own shelves lately, books that I picked up here and there planning to read one day and now the day has come. This one is a yellowed paperback with a 1969 publishing date, a book I never knew existed (until I saw it) although I've liked Miss Joanie most of my life, first for her music, later for her spirit.
There is nothing anywhere in the little volume about about performing or about her career, although she was really on top in those years. In
Mark
Joan Baez possesses one of the greatest voices ever to grace America.
Her story is inspiring and uplifting. I'd love to hear her make an album of Civil War songs... it'd go down perfectly. With this book she carved out for herself a real place in culture, over and above her activist presence of the era. She's a darn good guitarist, too.
Becky
"The only thing that's been a worse flop than the organization of nonviolence has been the organization of violence."

Some chapters in this slim book deserve a 4 or 5, but the quality and relevance of material is very inconsistent. Some moments of excellent story telling and glimpses of insight into the early influences that shaped Baez as an artist and activist--though if you didn't know her name, you would probably not glean that she ever had much influence outside her family and a few friends.
Lp
Memoir of Joan Baez. I read this about 30 years ago, when I didn't really know who she was. I was struck by the straightforward writing and the power of the story. Chapters are divided by poems and/or dreams. She wrote this when she was very young (27), so I'd like to read her follow-up memoir or two to see how she thinks it all turned out.
Timothy
i haven't finished it yet but ms. baez is a wonderful writer, and the stories of her childhood are quite entertaining. although for some reason there was a lot of animal carnage, which i had to skip over.
i also enjoy her folk music records, which are more traditional and less artsy than that other folky joan, joni mitchell.
Sharee
May 14, 2008 Sharee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like the folk revival, or poetry
There are a few moments in this book in which I was brought to tears. She's had a very rich life, from what I interpret, and I feel like this book further proves her dedication to helping others, to changing things, to pacifism. You can tell that she's still maturing, and I can't wait to see what her other memoir offers.
Tom Mueller
I read this as a prelude to re-reading her newer autobiography, Joan Baez
Daybreak has great insight into what lead Joan towards her activism and humanitarian world views.
Lauren
Although I do not agree with her current political views, I read this book when it came out and enjoyed it very much. She has (or had?) a very engaging style of writing and I came away feeling like I knew her like a friend.
Dakota Lane
i love joan, i feel like she was my aunt. the book reminds you of green skies, stew and woodstoves, beaded curtains, someone singing on a waterbed, the smell of jasmine and the good old days.
Danielle
Written in 1967, Joan Baez's Daybreak is candid and heartbreaking. An interesting and entertaining read from a 2013 perspective. I wonder what Joan thinks of it now?
Jen
Necessity is the mother of invention
Laurel
This book was just beautiful. There were some slow moments, but I found myself not wanting it to end. I am quite the Joan Baez fan and had read her other book prior to reading this. From the moment I got into this book it struck me as personal and intimate. Joan is quite a lovely writer. The ending was touching and it made me emotional.
Sepehr
Sepehr marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Mary
Mary added it
Jun 26, 2015
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Nadine Klinkenberg
Nadine Klinkenberg marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
naz
naz added it
Apr 16, 2015
Kaitlin Descutner
Kaitlin Descutner marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
  • Greetings from Bury Park
  • A Freewheelin' Time: Greenwich Village in the Sixties, Bob Dylan and Me
  • The kingdom of infinite space : a fantastical journey around your head
  • Woody Guthrie
  • The Shape of Things to Come: Prophecy and the American Voice
  • The Messenger: The Meanings of the Life of Muhammad
  • Patti Smith: An Unauthorized Biography
  • Sailing Through China
  • Positively 4th Street: The Lives and Times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Fariña, and Richard Fariña
  • The End of War
  • The Jack Kerouac Collection
  • Living with the Dead: Twenty Years on the Bus with Garcia and the Grateful Dead
  • El pez en el agua
  • Bob Dylan: A Biography
  • Deceived With Kindness
  • Man in Black
  • Wild Harmonies: A Life of Music and Wolves
  • Flying
Joan Chandos Baez is an American folk singer and songwriter known for her highly individual vocal style. She is a soprano with a three-octave vocal range and a distinctively rapid vibrato. Many of her songs are topical and deal with social issues.

She is best known for her hits "There But For Fortune", "Diamonds & Rust" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", and to a lesser extent,"We Shall
More about Joan Baez...
And a Voice to Sing With The Joan Baez Songbook And A Voice to Sing With: A Memoir Yürekten Kopup Gelen Ses Inside Santa Rita: The Prison Memoir of a War Protester