Start by marking “Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)

Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,869 Ratings  ·  212 Reviews
Necromancer is such an ugly word, but it's a title Eric Carter is stuck with.

He sees ghosts, talks to the dead. He’s turned it into a lucrative career putting troublesome spirits to rest, sometimes taking on even more dangerous things. For a fee, of course.

When he left L.A. fifteen years ago he thought he’d never go back. Too many bad memories. Too many people trying to ki
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published February 5th 2013 by Daw

To ask other readers questions about Dead Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Things

Kevin Hearne
May 09, 2013 Kevin Hearne rated it it was amazing
When someone says "necromancer" to me I tend to think of Dark Lords in Dark Citadels with minions and shriveled plant life and, for some reason, large black beetles. The necromancer in DEAD THINGS was refreshing because he brought none of that tired stuff to the table, and to hell with large black beetles anyway.

This necromancer, Eric Carter, isn't trying to rule the world; he's just trying to get by in it and avenge the death of his sister. He's a messed-up dude and I would never want to meet h
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Dead Things is serious magic noir. The name of this book tells it all. This book is about a man surrounded by dead and the consequences it has on his life and his relationships with the living. The narrative is very cynical, with a main character who has a foul mouth and a dark point of view. Of course, anyone who has his necromantic abilities might tend to lose his faith in humanity and everything else. Despite that fact, I did like this book for the most part. Blackmoore lost me some near the ...more
Elspeth
Mar 16, 2013 Elspeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, amazon
Disclaimer: In reading this book I recommend lots of salty, buttery, popcorn, you are going to need it.
I loved this book for all its faults, I am not sure if it was what the author was going for, but for me it was a cheesy horror flick. The main character is that heroine you love to hate, the one who you scream at to not go down that dark alley, the basement are you crazy, and you stupid bitch why are you leaving the group to go it alone.
Eric Carter has been running from his past for fifteen yea
Experiment BL626
Apr 18, 2013 Experiment BL626 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, reviewed
What luck! Dead Things was pretty much everything I could ever want in an Urban Fantasy. The hero kicked ass, the pacing was fast, and the story was devoid of cliches (the ones that annoy me anyway).

+ the hero

Eric Carter was my ideal Urban Fantasy hero. He embraced his power, and even better, he didn't hesitate killing bad guys with it. With great power comes great responsibility to kick ass and make them stay down — permanently.

I loved how he owned up to his bad decisions and personality flaws.
⊱ Irena ⊰
3.5
There are so many things I like in this book, I don't know where to start. True, there are some I don't, but it's still a good story.

The main character is an urban fantasy hero (or anti-hero if you like) done right. A warning though: he does things that those who got used to last moment solutions that help the hero avoid ugly or distasteful actions trope might find a bit hard to accept. Eric Carter doesn't get off easy only because he is the main character. After he gets back to L.A. to find
Ami
Dec 15, 2014 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ami by: Experiment BL626
3.75 stars rounded up

For the first story in a series, I mostly loved it. But I did have niggles.

Okay, the good part first:
Just like my friend, Expy, I loved how Eric embraced his dark power. I was refreshing to see the hero who didn't hesitate to kill the bad guys (like what he did with the cab driver) and didn't went back and forth on questioning the 'morality' of it. Those people (dead or alive) that he killed was the bad guys and Eric got the job done. Period.

The villains were vicious and i
Beanbag Love
Oct 20, 2014 Beanbag Love rated it liked it
For most of this book I was in urban fantasy heaven. It had me hooked right from the beginning. One of the main things I loved was that that protagonist – Eric Carter – is a necromancer who has basically accepted it and doesn’t freak out every time his power hits him. He’s learned to strategize his approach and can command his surroundings enough not to let the ghosts that populate the earth turn him into an emotional blob of jelly. See, I have a pet peeve about that in most stories with necroma ...more
David
Jul 15, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I read this a while ago, but with the sequel coming out I thought I would show some love a write a quick review on this because I loved it.

I also think Stephen Blackmoore is an excellent and underrated talent in this genre.

Eric is a necromancer. That's right, our protagonist actually uses the "bad guy's magic". One of the things that intrigued me about this novel was the fact that Eric dabbled in the dark side.

The story is a bit of a mystery where Eric is returning home to L.A. after s
Jeff Somers
Jan 15, 2015 Jeff Somers rated it it was amazing
Mr. Blackmoore is a writer after my own heart - dark, hilarious, darkly hilarious, violent, and clever. What more could you possibly want?
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Jun 17, 2013 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf
I knew after reading the first chapter that it was time to strap myself in and enjoy the ride. Excellent world and magic system, tortured lead character, lots of danger and action - hells yes.

First off, the setting: Los Angeles. LA has always been hellish for me, so a story set there with a rampaging, ravenous ghost, the personification of Death, gangsters, a magical hitman, it all worked.

Eric is our hitman. His magical talent is control of the dead. He left LA after avenging the death of his pa
Lindsay Simms
Feb 16, 2015 Lindsay Simms rated it really liked it
I loved this book. LOVED it. Top-rate urban fantasy. I'm telling you now, though, if you don't have a demented sense of humor and hate swearing, you probably won't like this book.

What really drives this book is the main character, Eric. I don't like to leave reviews with spoilers, so I'll just give you the basics. He's a necromancer. A powerful necromancer at that. He pisses off a lot of people, and a lot of people, and not people, want him dead. I don't blame them. He's kind of a jerk. I'm gue
Kai Kiriyama
May 23, 2013 Kai Kiriyama rated it it was amazing
I grabbed his newest book, DEAD THINGS, about a week ago as of this writing, read it in 2 days on transit, and I have to say that it was some of the best money I have ever spent.

The story is about a necromancer named Eric Carter who is called back to his hometown of Los Angeles by the sudden death of his sister. And hey, who says you can’t go home again? It’s only been 15 years for Eric and now that he’s back some big bad juju is stirring in the City of Angels and he’s at the center of it all. H
May 09, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I think one of my Goodreads friends gave this a good review. I pulled it off the shelf at the bookstore and gave the first couple chapters a whirl, and I just had to keep coming back to it. Which is a good sign, given how crowded my To-Read shelf is. The protagonist, Eric, has a lot of baggage, some weird necromantic powers, and a wry and profane sense of humor. This book isn't for the faint of heart or weak of stomach--I'd say it borders on horror rather than urban fantasy. And it's got a kille ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
Aug 12, 2015 Lauren Stoolfire rated it really liked it
Eric Carter is a necromancer and he's turned his ability to see ghosts and talk to the dead into a career. When he left L.A. fifteen years ago, he never thought he'd go back - too many bad memories and too many people trying to kill him. Now, he has no choice but to return after his sister was brutally murdered. Carter is going to find out who did it and why and then he's going to make them pay.

If you like your urban fantasy on the dark and gritty side, Dead Things is for you. Eric Carter is not
T. Frohock
May 12, 2015 T. Frohock rated it really liked it
Action packed goodness with a lot of laugh out loud moments made for a hot ride in Dead Things. The novel shoots its plot forward with the speed of a bullet, but the real beauty is Blackmore's ability to weave such poignancy into the character of Eric Carter. A twisting tale of betrayal and friendship, Dead Things is a rocket.

Highly recommended for urban fantasy and noir fans alike.
Kaleb
Dec 14, 2014 Kaleb rated it it was ok
To sum up my enjoyment of this book I'd say meh. This book was an okay read, with a decent story, and a likeable character; the character being Eric. I can't say much for the others though. I found them to be two dimensional with no real personalities. But I can say this book was a thrill ride with great action scenes. Overall, I thought this book was alright, but nothing ground breaking.
Kelli Lee
If you have been jonesing for a fast-paced, darkish whodunit urban fantasy with an MC stricken with a checkered-past, then give this book a try, or I should say series. A series I'll definitely continue on reading. Especially with the twisty-esque ending!
Robert Brown
May 17, 2014 Robert Brown rated it really liked it

I wasn't sure what to expect from this one. Another YA death-is-my-hope-for-meaning-in-my-life book? Another hack-the-zombie book? The cover looked good, and the synopsis was promising: but, I've been fooled before.

I'm glad this wasn't one of the times I was fooled, and I'm looking forward to the next volume Broken Souls when it comes out. The protagonist is a bit of a narcissist (but what human being isn't?), leaps to a lot of untested conclusions, and let's his mouth get him into more trouble

Elisa
Nov 12, 2015 Elisa rated it really liked it
I somehow never marked this as read. It was a while ago now, but I really enjoyed this poor schlub who thinks he is helping people by running away. He is run ragged, somewhat of a pawn in another power broker's long game and trying to set things right. He is a fighter.
Lots of action, I was surprised where it went and enjoyed it a lot. No romance, our hero has to survive a lot and make choices between the lesser of two evils, trying to do what is right. He is f'ed basically. But he makes his way,
Yolanda Sfetsos
Dec 28, 2013 Yolanda Sfetsos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Wow. I was in the mood for a gritty UF book, and that's exactly what I got. Awesome!

Eric Carter is a necromancer. A shitty title, but hey, that's how he makes a living. And we get to see him in action right from the beginning. However, once the job's done, he gets a call from someone that manages to drag him back into his past. And that's how he finds out his sister is dead.

So he heads back to LA after fifteen years away determined to find her killer. Except he finds a whole lot more, because th
Nick Reys
Apr 24, 2013 Nick Reys rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2013
I’m writing this review shortly after reading a blogpost about how the line between Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance is blurring more and more. I had to agree with said poster when she stated that it’s not for the good of the series – but it might be when it comes to the sales aspect – when the main focus of Urban Fantasy, being a tight plot filled with action and the supernatural, is being replaced by flimsy romance and way less plot than the amount of pages seems to suggest. If there are o ...more
Anne Odom
So, I picked up this book because I follow Blackmoore and Chuck Wendig on twitter. They seem to like each other, and I liked Wendig's Blackbirds, so I grabbed a sample of Dead Things. At the end of the sample, I bought the full book on the spot -- didn't even check the price first.

WHAT I LIKED
* Protagonist - A damn fine anti-hero. Seriously flawed yet somehow seriously likable.

* Pacing - Nice and fast, plenty of action, great cliffhangers to keep you turning pages. I read it in two days.

* Necrom
Daniel Swensen
Feb 20, 2013 Daniel Swensen rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, weird
I'll admit, when I read Stephen Blackmoore's first book, CITY OF THE LOST, I was entertained but not blown away. I liked the hard-boiled feel of the prose, the cynical and tough-talking character, and the fun paranormal twists on what was basically a pulp noir tale. But it felt like Blackmoore was yet to really hit his stride.

Well, I just read DEAD THINGS, and I'm here to tell you, he hit it.

DEAD THINGS is a two-fisted paranormal noir that starts swinging from the first pages and never really l
Denise
Jun 07, 2013 Denise rated it really liked it
Necromancy isn't pretty. That's why we don't see many characters who practice it. Most of them are villains who are expected to do terrible things. The occasional good guy who uses necromancy usually just talks to the dead with the occasional raising of an individual. In Dead Things by Stephen Blackmoore, the main character shows that necromancy isn't necessarily evil but it's not for the squeamish.

Eric Carter was born with a knack for the dead that set him apart even in his magical family and c
Viccy
Mar 03, 2014 Viccy rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal
Eric Carter talks to the dead. Then he kills them. He also talks to gods, the Loa and Santa Muerete, the patron saint of Narcos. He is a necromancer although he doesn't like to use that word. Fifteen years ago, he fled Los Angeles in order to save his sister. Now, Lucy has been murdered and Eric returns to avenge her. He thinks a ghost is responsible but soon it becomes apparent more is going on than a common haunting. This was an interesting concept, but not fully realized.
Brianna
Aug 24, 2014 Brianna rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

This book is a great, dark urban fantasy. It features gods, ghosts, and mystery, with an antihero narrator in Eric Carter. It's fast-paced and gritty, with tons of action. I couldn't put it down! Highly recommended!
Fey
Jun 01, 2015 Fey rated it liked it
Overall, it was pretty good and an interesting premise. Definitely want to check out the sequel.

Necromancy, murder, ghosts, wicked deities, and yeah...dead things. I had a hard time with the mental logic of some of the characters (reactions that occasionally seemed trite and overdone) and the pacing is a bit erratic, especially at the end but overall I think it's definitely worth it. This book has several characteristics that remind me of the Dresden Files, so if you like those I would definitel
Cathy
3.5 stars. It isn't really noir, or it doesn't have the noir style but it's dark. But I don't know if I want to add yet another category for books that are dark in tone, maybe I should. I read enough of them. Anyway, it was a good book, engaging from beginning to end. Eric was occasionally TSTL, and while I know he was off his game a bit from being back in LA and having his own personal and emotional history being a huge part of his investigation, he did stumble around a lot more than was cool f ...more
Gökçe
Nov 02, 2014 Gökçe rated it really liked it
Son zamanlarda okuduğum en iyi anti kahraman hikayesi. Bazı yerlerde hafif zorlama gibi durduğu için bir yıldız eksik
Jan 12, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it
Dead Things is a fun read. With a fast pace, it keeps the reader moving through the trials and tribulations of one Eric Carter. Necromancer, loner, brother (kind of a bad one), and (a little bit) obsessed with power, he’s not a puppies and rainbows hero. With plenty blood on his hands and far more the reader isn’t even privy to, he’s an anti-hero through and through. Blackmoore does a proper job pulling heart strings and relying on the moral compass and compassion of his readers to weave a story ...more
Choice 1 9 May 23, 2014 02:01PM
friends 1 5 May 23, 2014 01:30PM
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • Dying Is My Business
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • Iron Night (Generation V, #2)
  • Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1)
  • Dead Harvest (The Collector, #1)
  • The Dead of Winter  (Cora Oglesby #1)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Dead To Me (Simon Canderous, #1)
  • Twenty Palaces (Twenty Palaces, #0.5)
  • Master of None (Gavyn Donatti, #1)
  • Eyes to See (Jeremiah Hunt, #1)
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • Daughter of the Sword (Fated Blades, #1)
  • Blood Oranges (Siobhan Quinn, #1)
  • Sparrow Hill Road (Ghost Stories, #1)
Stephen Blackmoore is a pulp writer of little to no renown who once thought lighting things on fire was one of the best things a kid could do with his time. Until he discovered that eyebrows don't grow back very quickly.

His first novel, a dark urban fantasy titled CITY OF THE LOST is out through DAW Books and is available at all the fashionable bookstores. Hopefully some of the seedier ones, too.
More about Stephen Blackmoore...

Eric Carter (3 books)
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)

“The thing I hate most about skeletons is you can never tell when they're smiling.” 3 likes