Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)

Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Necromancer is such an ugly word, but it's a title Eric Carter is stuck with.

He sees ghosts, talks to the dead. He’s turned it into a lucrative career putting troublesome spirits to rest, sometimes taking on even more dangerous things. For a fee, of course.

When he left L.A. fifteen years ago he thought he’d never go back. Too many bad memories. Too many people trying to ki...more
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published February 5th 2013 by Daw

Kevin Hearne
When someone says "necromancer" to me I tend to think of Dark Lords in Dark Citadels with minions and shriveled plant life and, for some reason, large black beetles. The necromancer in DEAD THINGS was refreshing because he brought none of that tired stuff to the table, and to hell with large black beetles anyway.

This necromancer, Eric Carter, isn't trying to rule the world; he's just trying to get by in it and avenge the death of his sister. He's a messed-up dude and I would never want to meet h...more
Elspeth
Disclaimer: In reading this book I recommend lots of salty, buttery, popcorn, you are going to need it.
I loved this book for all its faults, I am not sure if it was what the author was going for, but for me it was a cheesy horror flick. The main character is that heroine you love to hate, the one who you scream at to not go down that dark alley, the basement are you crazy, and you stupid bitch why are you leaving the group to go it alone.
Eric Carter has been running from his past for fifteen yea...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Dead Things is serious magic noir. The name of this book tells it all. This book is about a man surrounded by dead and the consequences it has on his life and his relationships with the living. The narrative is very cynical, with a main character who has a foul mouth and a dark point of view. Of course, anyone who has his necromantic abilities might tend to lose his faith in humanity and everything else. Despite that fact, I did like this book for the most part. Blackmoore lost me some near the...more
Experiment BL626
What luck! Dead Things was pretty much everything I could ever want in an Urban Fantasy. The hero kicked ass, the pacing was fast, and the story was devoid of cliches (the ones that annoy me anyway).

+ the hero

Eric Carter was my ideal Urban Fantasy hero. He embraced his power, and even better, he didn't hesitate killing bad guys with it. With great power comes great responsibility to kick ass and make them stay down — permanently.

I loved how he owned up to his bad decisions and personality flaws....more
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

For the first story in a series, I mostly loved it. But I did have niggles.

Okay, the good part first:
Just like my friend, Expy, I loved how Eric embraced his dark power. I was refreshing to see the hero who didn't hesitate to kill the bad guys (like what he did with the cab driver) and didn't went back and forth on questioning the 'morality' of it. Those people (dead or alive) that he killed was the bad guys and Eric got the job done. Period.

The villains were vicious and i...more
Kindle-aholic
I knew after reading the first chapter that it was time to strap myself in and enjoy the ride. Excellent world and magic system, tortured lead character, lots of danger and action - hells yes.

First off, the setting: Los Angeles. LA has always been hellish for me, so a story set there with a rampaging, ravenous ghost, the personification of Death, gangsters, a magical hitman, it all worked.

Eric is our hitman. His magical talent is control of the dead. He left LA after avenging the death of his pa...more
I think one of my Goodreads friends gave this a good review. I pulled it off the shelf at the bookstore and gave the first couple chapters a whirl, and I just had to keep coming back to it. Which is a good sign, given how crowded my To-Read shelf is. The protagonist, Eric, has a lot of baggage, some weird necromantic powers, and a wry and profane sense of humor. This book isn't for the faint of heart or weak of stomach--I'd say it borders on horror rather than urban fantasy. And it's got a kille...more
Kai Kiriyama
I grabbed his newest book, DEAD THINGS, about a week ago as of this writing, read it in 2 days on transit, and I have to say that it was some of the best money I have ever spent.

The story is about a necromancer named Eric Carter who is called back to his hometown of Los Angeles by the sudden death of his sister. And hey, who says you can’t go home again? It’s only been 15 years for Eric and now that he’s back some big bad juju is stirring in the City of Angels and he’s at the center of it all. H...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
Wow. I was in the mood for a gritty UF book, and that's exactly what I got. Awesome!

Eric Carter is a necromancer. A shitty title, but hey, that's how he makes a living. And we get to see him in action right from the beginning. However, once the job's done, he gets a call from someone that manages to drag him back into his past. And that's how he finds out his sister is dead.

So he heads back to LA after fifteen years away determined to find her killer. Except he finds a whole lot more, because th...more
Elondel
I’m writing this review shortly after reading a blogpost about how the line between Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance is blurring more and more. I had to agree with said poster when she stated that it’s not for the good of the series – but it might be when it comes to the sales aspect – when the main focus of Urban Fantasy, being a tight plot filled with action and the supernatural, is being replaced by flimsy romance and way less plot than the amount of pages seems to suggest. If there are o...more
Lindsay Simms
I loved this book. LOVED it. Top-rate urban fantasy. I'm telling you now, though, if you don't have a demented sense of humor and hate swearing, you probably won't like this book.

What really drives this book is the main character, Eric. I don't like to leave reviews with spoilers, so I'll just give you the basics. He's a necromancer. A powerful necromancer at that. He pisses off a lot of people, and a lot of people, and not people, want him dead. I don't blame them. He's kind of a jerk. I'm gue...more
Anne Odom
So, I picked up this book because I follow Blackmoore and Chuck Wendig on twitter. They seem to like each other, and I liked Wendig's Blackbirds, so I grabbed a sample of Dead Things. At the end of the sample, I bought the full book on the spot -- didn't even check the price first.

WHAT I LIKED
* Protagonist - A damn fine anti-hero. Seriously flawed yet somehow seriously likable.

* Pacing - Nice and fast, plenty of action, great cliffhangers to keep you turning pages. I read it in two days.

* Necrom...more
Daniel Swensen
I'll admit, when I read Stephen Blackmoore's first book, CITY OF THE LOST, I was entertained but not blown away. I liked the hard-boiled feel of the prose, the cynical and tough-talking character, and the fun paranormal twists on what was basically a pulp noir tale. But it felt like Blackmoore was yet to really hit his stride.

Well, I just read DEAD THINGS, and I'm here to tell you, he hit it.

DEAD THINGS is a two-fisted paranormal noir that starts swinging from the first pages and never really l...more
Denise
Necromancy isn't pretty. That's why we don't see many characters who practice it. Most of them are villains who are expected to do terrible things. The occasional good guy who uses necromancy usually just talks to the dead with the occasional raising of an individual. In Dead Things by Stephen Blackmoore, the main character shows that necromancy isn't necessarily evil but it's not for the squeamish.

Eric Carter was born with a knack for the dead that set him apart even in his magical family and c...more
Viccy
Eric Carter talks to the dead. Then he kills them. He also talks to gods, the Loa and Santa Muerete, the patron saint of Narcos. He is a necromancer although he doesn't like to use that word. Fifteen years ago, he fled Los Angeles in order to save his sister. Now, Lucy has been murdered and Eric returns to avenge her. He thinks a ghost is responsible but soon it becomes apparent more is going on than a common haunting. This was an interesting concept, but not fully realized.
Michael Loring
Dead Things by Author Stephen Blackmoore is the first in the Eric Carter series, following the exploits and bad luck of a necromancer who has been running for fifteen years away from his troubled past.

Eric Carter is a necromancer, not the average magic user. His whole family were magi users before he left. After his parents were murdered he ran away, never looking back. Fifteen years later his younger sister is brutally murdered, bringing him back to his old home. Waiting for him is a whole lot...more
Kelli Lee
If you have been jonesing for a fast-paced, darkish whodunit urban fantasy with an MC stricken with a checkered-past, then give this book a try, or I should say series. A series I'll definitely continue on reading. Especially with the twisty-esque ending!
Sunil
Mar 03, 2014 Sunil rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, 2014
Building off the world he built in City of the Lost , Stephen Blackmoore launches a new urban fantasy series starring Eric Carter, necromancer. (It's not necessary at all to have read City of the Lost, but they do share a supporting character, and there's a throwaway reference to the events of that book, which I appreciated.)

Eric Carter left L.A. fifteen years ago, but a brutal murder brings him back, and he finds himself embroiled in a battle with his old nemesis and a deal with Santa Muerte, t...more
Ming Haugen
a wonderful hit of LA Noir, can't wait for book two if there will be one.
Mardel
I picked up this book solely on the title. So simple, so direct, so stark. Then I read the blurb, and thought I might enjoy it. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did though.

Between the dialogue, the plot, the narration and the fight scenes, this book was a page turner. I was engrossed from the moment I opened the book.

This necromancer, Eric Carter, has been traveling around fighting bad supernaturals, taking jobs etc. Then he finds out there's been a death in the family (didn't have much...more
Joshua Palmatier
This is Stephen Blackmoore's second novel and it's unrelated to his first, City of the Lost, at least in terms of sequels or series. There are a few tenuous connections--such as the mysterious bar with multiple hard-to-find entrances, etc--but it's really a stand-alone novel. So if you've never read Stephen Blackmoore, feel free to pick this one up and start here.

The basic premise is that Eric Carter is a necromancer, someone who can see, talk to, and manipulate the dead. It's a power he was bor...more
Andi
Dead Things was one of those books where I really wanted to like it just never quite got there… until the end. Which I thought was upsetting. The real reason I finished the book was to give a review.

Honestly, you will like the character – he has his flaws. Which is a nice thing to see, since I hate the characters who are perfect in everything (and never mess things up, never seem do anything wrong in the course of action). I just felt that the supporting characters weren’t that memorable. Well,...more
David Traver Adolphus
Comparisons to a Jim Butcher novel are inevitable and I think fair. It’s not derivative or anything, but trying to write a wizard- (or necromancer) for-hire novel today without acknowledging Harry Dresden is like trying to write about elves and dwarves without acknowledging Tolkien. Nothing in the world of Dead Things—including the title—would be out of place in the Dresden world. There’s nothing wrong with that, it’s just a big shadow and as one person said, you wouldn’t be surprised if the tal...more
Neil
Overall, a great addition to the Urban Fantasy genre by Stephen Blackmoore very much in the vein of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, but with a slightly darker, west-coast vibe.

I can't stress how much I enjoyed the focus on Necromancy as the primary form of magic employed by the protagonist. It's not that I'm especially fond of necromancers, but it's incredibly refreshing to see them portrayed as anything but the villain. Blackmoore's take on necromancy was fresh and engaging, and worked well in ref...more
Dead Things is a pretty good read. Reminds me of Felix Castor and Harry Dresden done in a more gritty style. The action keeps moving along without a lot of exposition and yet the reader gets the background necessary to follow the story.

If this series continues, it will be about an angry young man trying to come to grips with his lot in life. Blackmoore certainly nailed the feelings of guilt, helplessness, and resentment that go into the making of such strong anger.

Do not read if frequent use...more
Elizabeth
Jul 30, 2013 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: urban fantasy fans, Jane Yellowrock fans, Jim Butcher fans
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I picked up Dead Things by Stephen Blackmoore after reading Kevin Hearne's glowing review on Goodreads, so I figured I was in for a good read. It was everything Hearne assessed it to be and then some. This was the best new gritty, adventurous urban fantasy series I've read in ages.
Eric Carter is a necromancer. Not like the bad guys in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. In Blackmoore's world, a necromancer is a mage with a knack for working with the dead and their realm - it is up to the mage wh...more
Marianne
Not sure what to say about this book. Blackmoore skirted the line with making Eric Carter an unlikable hero. He's sort of an anti-hero. He admits that he's an asshole, gives many examples of when he's behaved in a cowardly or callous way. He's a killer and not the least bit remorseful about it. He makes bad choices. He's rootless and friendless.

Still, he's strong and resourceful, and smart and talented. The book is engaging right from the start, and the action almost never stops, but has just e...more
Jordan
Brilliant, dark and gritty all at once. I cant imagine necromancy being an easy topic to base your book on even in your darkest or broodiest hero's but I think Stephen Blackmoore skilfully walked the line when he described a dead body or their ghosts and the main character's reasons for doing the things he did.

Whilst necromancy might not be the most attractive skill in a mage's skill set; Eric Carter has talent and his ability to roll with it is impressive and gives believe to his behaviour aro...more
Christine Rains
A wonderful dark and gritty urban fantasy. Eric Carter is a necromancer, a rare sort of mage. He's also available for hire to take care of "problems" that other mages can't handle themselves. A lot of the time, this means killing the problems. Now an ancient Aztec goddess is taking an interest in him and wants to do more than just hire him. She wants to own him. Yet Eric has other things on his mind. Someone killed his sister and he has to find her murderer. His ex-girlfriend whom he still has f...more
Nancy
I was fortunate enough to win this book on Goodreads First Reads giveaways.

Eric Carter is on a mission to find who brutally murdered his sister. Fortunate for him, he is a necromancer and has plenty of tools or souls available to help him in his quest.

Stephen Blackmoore's book Dead Things is an extremely fast paced, urban fantasy thriller with no shortage of blood and gore.

The main character is a strong albeit torn individual. Living a life where you constantly see dead people can really mess w...more
  • Dying Is My Business
  • Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1)
  • Double Dead (Double Dead, #1)
  • Armageddon Bound (Demon Squad #1)
  • Crimes Against Magic (Hellequin Chronicles, #1)
  • Dead Harvest (The Collector, #1)
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Trickster (Ustari Cycle, #1)
  • Clean (Mindspace Investigations, #1)
  • The Dead of Winter  (Cora Oglesby #1)
  • Eyes to See (Jeremiah Hunt, #1)
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • Twenty Palaces (Twenty Palaces, #0.5)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • God Touched (Demon Accords, #1)
  • Hard Day's Knight (Black Knight Chronicles, #1)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
Stephen Blackmoore is a pulp writer of little to no renown who once thought lighting things on fire was one of the best things a kid could do with his time. Until he discovered that eyebrows don't grow back very quickly.

His first novel, a dark urban fantasy titled CITY OF THE LOST is out through DAW Books and is available at all the fashionable bookstores. Hopefully some of the seedier ones, too....more
More about Stephen Blackmoore...
City of the Lost Khan of Mars All Bad Things Don't Read This Book Broken Souls