Start by marking “QF32” as Want to Read:
QF32

QF32

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  334 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
On 4 November 2010, a flight from Singapore to Sydney came within a knife edge of being one of the world's worst air disasters. Shortly after leaving Changi Airport, an explosion shattered Engine 2 of Qantas flight QF32 – an Airbus A380, the largest and most advanced passenger plane ever built. Hundreds of pieces of shrapnel ripped through the wing and fuselage, creating c ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about QF32, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about QF32

Helen McKenna
Having flown quite a lot, I wouldn't consider myself a nervous flyer. However I must also admit that I don't like to dwell too much on how a plane actually stays up in the air when I'm in one! This book is all about a plane passenger's worst nightmare - an ominous loud "bang" and looking out the window to see a large part of the aircraft missing as well as leaking fuel and shrapnel holes in the wing.

Qantas Flight 32 (QF32) from Singapore to Sydney (part of the Kangaroo Route many of us have tra
Wendy
Apr 01, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Awesome. When it became clear that the first half of the book was going to be an autobiography I was a little disappointed, but persisted and discovered that his life story was actually quite fascinating. In fact, in my view, it turned out to be vital to the understanding of the book, that we knew the background of this wonderful pilot, so that we could understand the whole man as he fought to keep all those passengers safe. Richard has led a most extraordinary life and I found it thrilling. I c ...more
Chris
Mar 22, 2015 Chris added it
Shelves: aviation
This books awesome. ive read it a number of times.
its an interesting first person perspective of the "incident" on qf32 combined with a mini biography. if you dont know the details behind the story you could either google it, or do yourself a favour and read this book.
its a reasonably complex topic, broken down into such a way you are able to comprehend what is happening and stay well and truly engaged with the details.
if you look at the damaged incurred, and not only the skill, and airmanshi
Lynda
A well written, honest, and at times humorous account about the averted air disaster of QF32, an Airbus A380 that suffered an explosion shortly after take off from Changi airport in 2010, with 469 passengers on board. The book begins with an interesting account of the pilot's family history and upbringing, and takes the reader through various aspects of his successful career. Undoubtedly these life experiences would ultimately contribute to the way in which he led and controlled the safe landing ...more
Brian Grinter
Dec 31, 2012 Brian Grinter rated it it was amazing
During the 1989 pilots strike Bob Hawke called airline pilots a bunch of "glorified bus drivers"

QF32 by Richard de Crespigny takes the reader into the pilot seat as the #2 Engine on QANTAS A380 'Nancy Bird Walton' exploded soon after take off from Changi Airport in 2010. It gives a deeper appreciation for the professionalism and dedication given by the pilots, cabin crew and other staff who ensure our skies are safe. A great story for those with an interest in aviation or who fly regular and a e
Guy
Mar 16, 2014 Guy rated it really liked it
It is what it is. De Crespigny is intelligent and articulate, but not a professional author. The core of the book is the few hours from an engine exploding to passengers disembarking. There's no sudden surprises, no great drama, just worried men way outside the user manual nursing an injured ship back to safety, but I found this section surprisingly gripping.

That's the core of the book - and it's as much about the human side of the journey as the mechanical. In the first chapters, De Crespigny
Allyson
Oct 27, 2012 Allyson rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club, nonfiction
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book-not a subject that I would normally be interested in, but the author/pilot takes a very technical subject and is able to communicate to and keep the average reader engaged throughout the book.
Kate
Dec 09, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-books
Brilliant, fascinating account.
Wayne
Oct 01, 2012 Wayne rated it really liked it
Shelves: aviation
I have just finished reading the Kindle version and have reviewed the comments by others to date. Being a commercial aviation aficianado, I quite enjoyed the book and am currently on a second reading. In hindsight, I do think the first half or so where the author recounts his history and experiences can become quite dull. Whilst I have no doubt the individual is a very accomplished Captain, by the mid point I was expecting him to proclaim "I am the Greatest" (shades of Muhammad Ali). Once past t ...more
Nikki Howson
Feb 14, 2016 Nikki Howson rated it really liked it
Can't pretend I read every word (some of the plane talk was more than I needed), but this book did carry me along with it.

Twelve hours after I finished reading it, I still feel somewhat short of breath and stressed by the telling of the events of that flight. And I did shed a tear as I read some of the passenger letters to the pilot.

An extraordinary day, and extraordinary efforts by all on board.
Andrew Waltho
Jun 11, 2015 Andrew Waltho rated it it was amazing
QF32 is an amazing account of possibly the most serious incident Qantas has ever experienced. Its testimony to the professionalism of both flight and cabin crews on long haul airliners. I expected a technical account of the incident but, more so, was enthralled by the depth of understanding shown regarding the impact of the incident on the passengers and crew.
Speedstar25
Oct 07, 2013 Speedstar25 rated it really liked it
QF32 offers an insight to the life of an extraordinary pilot whose lifelong training saved the day of more than 400 men and women on board the flight. The story tells how he grew up, joined the RAAF, undergo training in the Air Force and eventually joined Qantas from a Boeing pilot to an Airbus A380 pilot.

It's very interesting to read of his life and aspiration. However, the part on what happen when the engine failed during the flight and when the story went into how he remedy the ECAM flight sy
Chris Jensen
Apr 05, 2016 Chris Jensen rated it really liked it
I love a good story of disaster averted and teams responding to crisis, but what made this a really worthwhile read was the stories of the soft skills and the people management.

There's some great insights here for anyone in any kind of "customer facing" role as to how a crisis turned customers into advocates for the airline and the crew.
Sue Keay
Aug 03, 2014 Sue Keay rated it liked it
I found it hard to get engaged by this book until I found out a friend's uncle had been on the flight deck (one of the check captains) and I persisted with it. Richard de Crespigny is the sort of pilot you always hope is flying your plane. Detail-oriented and obsessed with understanding how things work. In an ideal world all pilots should be trained by the airforce to give them experience of handling aircraft at their limits. Interesting if you want yo find out the pilot's view of what happened ...more
Josh
Jul 18, 2015 Josh rated it it was amazing
This book was really quite amazing to read. I love commercial aviation, and try to get as much info as possible about it, and I find it hard to believe that an engine explosion could even happen to the super-jumbo, the Airbus A380, while finding it even harder to believe that it could cripple so many flight control systems, making it suddenly a big thing that could fall out of the sky at any moment. I also like reading about De Crispigny's past in flight, thought I found the actual QF32 part mor ...more
Alice
Aug 13, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it
This vivid firsthand account of the QF32 emergency, by the Captain of the doomed A380, was gripping, succinct and fascinating. Reading this conversational and candid story of the grueling and extremely scary experience endured by the pilots, crew and passengers when their plane's engine exploded shortly after takeoff, ripping holes in the wing and fuselage, effecting fuel, hydraulics, electrics, brakes and many other systems, reveals what a modest hero with a courageous team can achieve in the f ...more
Angela Lyon
Oct 20, 2013 Angela Lyon rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down it was absolutely riveting. I am now completely sold on the safety of the A380 Airbus and am lost in admiration for the competence and professionalism of the crew of QF32.
To have all the devastating failures and damage to the aircraft and to be able to get it down safely without losing a single person is an incredible feat of airmanship (if there is such a word)

All five pilots and especially the Captain Richard de Crespigny plus the cabin crew really showed how well traine
Skyring
Jan 29, 2016 Skyring rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Rua Brithem
Jul 25, 2013 Rua Brithem rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Aviators, pilots, news hounds, anyone afraid of flying.
Recommended to Rua by: Richard Fidler
If I every get back on a plane, I want Richard to be the pilot.

A surprisingly engaging book, Richard de Crespigny relays the incident of both a professional and personal level that is easy for the lay-flyer to read. His unabashed admissions about how the incident effected him and his crew shatters the public's perceptions that pilots are arrogant and cabin staff are so well trained that they aren't touched by crisis or worry. It also has improved my respect for Qantas, the efforts it goes to to
Pam Ela
Apr 21, 2014 Pam Ela rated it liked it
Captains account of the QF32 near disaster.
Dr. Bader Alzaid Altraiji
boring!

If you are not interested in/ related to aviation in any way, I strongly suggest that you avoid reading this book. It is a diary or flight journal at best. It has few stories that you may force yourself to relate to. A complete flop!
Suzanne
Jan 03, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Fantastic insight...you will never take the role of a pilot lightly after reading this. So interesting... an amazing story of a flight that went horribly wrong but due to the incredible skill and knowledge of these pilots everyone survived! Couldn't put it down.
Joao Boavida
Jan 06, 2013 Joao Boavida rated it really liked it
I found the first chapter or so a bit boring as we are taken through his upbringing and experience. But as the narrative moves into the actual QF32 accident I think it is a must read for anyone working in an operational role in commercial aviation. His experience is invaluable and many of his considerations priceless. A must read for aviation pros!
Gabrielle
Feb 03, 2013 Gabrielle rated it really liked it
A strangely compelling read, and almost enough to make me fly Qantas again. It's not the best written book in the literary sense, and there was a bit too much personal history ans so on in the first part, but the account of the actual incident is gripping, even though you know what happens in the end.
Mark Williams
Dec 28, 2012 Mark Williams rated it really liked it
Qf32 was very informative on the Airbus A380 and what occurred during the emergency. A great read for anyone interested in aviation. The only negative Richard de Crespigny does talk himself up a bit. But I guess after successfully landing the plane he's entitled to that.
Peter Sunlit
Sep 17, 2012 Peter Sunlit rated it liked it
This is the sort of book that makes you realise how things can go wrong so quickly in the air and how dependent we are on well trained pilots. Read this in conjunction with the BEA report into the Air France Rio to Paris disaster where all on board died.
Cody
Jul 20, 2015 Cody rated it it was amazing
Very well written book.
QF32 is an intriguing story told by the actual pilot.
Ken
Jan 01, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in aviation
I wanted to read this book since I heard about it, especially having now flown on a Qantas A380. The author's 'inside story' of the potentially disastrous flight was totally absorbing.
Thomas
Feb 25, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it
Great read. 1st half of the book was an autobiography though and nothing to do with the QF32 flight at all. Still interesting however.

Still think I'll stay with 747's for now.
Allison
Feb 19, 2013 Allison rated it liked it
Good in parts, I enjoyed the human side of the story, but the technical parts left me a bit bored. But there again someone in the industry might like those bits.
  • The Golden Land
  • Eleven Seasons
  • Lanced: the shaming of Lance Armstrong
  • Black Box: Inside the World's Worst Air Crashes
  • Lost Voices
  • A Few Right Thinking Men (Rowland Sinclair #01)
  • Free-Falling
  • The Mountain
  • The Cartographer
  • Facing Up
  • Jesus: The Greatest Life of All
Melbourne born and educated Richard Champion de Crespigny got his first taste of a future flying career as a fourteen year old when his father took him on a tour of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Academy at Point Cook in Victoria.
In 1975 aged seventeen, he joined the RAAF. One year later he started flying, joining Qantas Airlines several years later as a commercial pilot.
In 2010 Richard pi
More about Richard de Crespigny...

“There is one potential problem with automation: that it will be accompanied by complacency and ignorance.” 3 likes
“My helicopter conversion was eye-opening, a case of learning '101 ways to kill yourself without trying'.” 2 likes