Start by marking “60 Seconds and You're Hired!” as Want to Read:
60 Seconds and You're Hired!

60 Seconds and You're Hired!

Now fully revised and updated-the must-have guide to acing the interview and landing the dream job

For the past decade, 60 Seconds & You're Hired! has helped thousands of job seekers get the perfect job by excelling at the crucial job interview. Now, in this new edition, America's top career coach Robin Ryan offers proven strategies to help readers take charge of the
Published January 29th 2008 by Penguin Books (first published December 31st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about 60 Seconds and You're Hired!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 60 Seconds and You're Hired!

Kater Cheek
Feb 23, 2011 Kater Cheek rated it it was ok
I got this book because it promised interview techinques, which it delivered... to a point.
I found a similar problem with this as with many other resume-writing and prepare-to-get-a-job type resources in that they seem to assume I've got a lot more work experience than I have. No, I've never been CEO of a multinational corporation nor have I increased their bottom line by 60%. It wasn't ridiculous though, because they at least offered different examples.

This isn't the sort of book you can easil
Ron
Mar 06, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
"Believing in yourself is the starting point. Effectively communicating your abilities to others is the necessity."

When going through the long and arduous process of applying for jobs and participating in the interview process, it is necessary to have a seamless game-plan. The authur, Robin Ryan, shows how effective a prospective employee can convey/"sell" who they are to any employer in 60-seconds. I have learned to use Ryan's 5-Point agenda method to prepare for interviews. In choosing your 5
Nessy Dimitrova
I read this book thanks to Blinkist.

It wasn't particularly interesting.

The key message in this book:

Interviews are an art, and anyone can land the job they want by following some helpful pointers. To impress your interviewer, answer her questions in 60 seconds or less while tying your responses to your main strengths, experience, and the skills relevant to the position for which you’re applying.

Actionable advice:

Send a handwritten thank-you note to follow up after your interview.
Sending a handw
Stephanie Hatch
I got this book from goodreads first reads mainly to give to either a new-to-the-job-world college friend or a recently downsized friend. Most of the info would not be useful to either of them. If you've been in the working world a while and are moving up or around this is a good book for you. Otherwise, this book really tries too much to be something for too many different people. I gave it an extra star because the interview questions portion made me reflect on my job and prefect my elevator s ...more
Natalia
Aug 06, 2013 Natalia rated it it was amazing
A great book! It's short enough that you can use it to prepare for an interview in a day. Definitely recommended for people who don't have a lot of interview experience. The book includes potential questions and what you need to think of when answering those. Even if u don't necessarily encounter the exact same questions at the interview it is a great way to put your thoughts and skills in order to make u feel and be prepared to discuss your skills and assets.
Josh
Nov 13, 2010 Josh rated it liked it
meh... it wasn't too bad. there were a lot of potential questions you might face in an interview presented and possible answers to base yours on given. Ryan was big on this 60 second sell where you try to summarize your 3-5 key skills and abilities to the interviewers and using it for a large percentage of questions.

some of the advice seemed good, but for an individual in the public administration field - i felt the focus on business examples were largely not applicable.
Luigi
Feb 01, 2012 Luigi rated it really liked it
Comprehensive read equally relevant to the interview and the interviewee. The 60 seconds is analogous to the elevator pitch and a lot of the examples are relevant to several aspects of business. Worth reading whether you are looking for work, or looking for staff. I got bored at times but forced myself to finish the book and found useful information even in sections that I felt weren't relevant to me.
Sharon
Jun 14, 2016 Sharon added it
What a cute little book. Well worth the 20 minutes it took to read it, but it probably could have been condensed to three sentences: "Give responses to interview questions in 60 seconds or less. Increase the effectiveness of your responses by tying them in to your main selling points: your experience and skills. And LISTEN."
Monique
This seems like a common sense guide but it is amazing how many things I hadn't thought about when it comes to interviewing. Right now I am giving it three stars because I haven't had the opportunity to use what I've learned. So maybe an update is forthcoming if I have any job interviews in the near future.
Sarah Camp
May 10, 2012 Sarah Camp rated it liked it
It was quite informative and a great study/prep book; but in all honesty, I stopped reading shortly before a big interview so that I could focus on my preparation for it and never picked it up again (since I got the job).
{erika}
Aug 15, 2012 {erika} rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Really good book with lots of helpful phrasing and tips. Much of it said what I wanted to express and had good answers to tricky questions. Great for highlighting and I will use again in the future I'm sure!
Ricardo Paulus
Apr 30, 2016 Ricardo Paulus rated it liked it
Too many example and lack of foundation and explanation to create the main selling point/theme of this book, which is 60 seconds to sell yourself.
The examples also felt repetitive to the extend I'm too lazy to read all the exemplars.
Michelle
This book is full of tons of practice questions with suggested paths to take to answer the questions. It was all in all really helpful. I really liked the thought of a verbal business card. It made me think about 5 points in my career that I should focus attention on during an interview.
Jeremy
Jul 10, 2015 Jeremy rated it really liked it
A really quick and condensed straight to the point book about job interviews. No doubt some of the main techniques of this book will serve me in the futur. The author also makes sure to give clear examples for every single possible questions you can get. Highly recommend !
Thanh Lam
Very useful book. To summarize all you need to retain: 60 seconds pitch about your 5 strongest attributes and skills.
Colby Christian
May 30, 2013 Colby Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this to prep for interviewing! Very very helpful
Feb 06, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
This book was recommended to me by someone in my field (academia), but it seemed like it would be much more useful for someone with a more "corporate" job.
Jakub Malinowski
Aug 28, 2014 Jakub Malinowski rated it liked it
It is not something Penguin would usually publish, it is actually a self-help book. Worth skimming.
Yolanda
Mar 06, 2013 Yolanda rated it it was amazing
Very informative. Great tips.
Fernando
Jul 19, 2013 Fernando rated it liked it
Abarca principalmente posibles preguntas y respuestas de una entrevista.
Chelsea Parrish
Jul 26, 2016 Chelsea Parrish rated it really liked it
One of the best career books I've read. Concise, to the point, and smart.
Peter Owens
Jul 29, 2014 Peter Owens rated it really liked it
I hate these kinds of books, but it honestly helped me get a job. Do with that what you will.
Molly
Jul 13, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
This was good- jam-packed with good questions and ideas for good answers.
Chad
Sep 27, 2013 Chad rated it really liked it
Good job hunt advice
Dequeasa
Oct 03, 2015 Dequeasa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Advice

This book was so insightful. I am starting my 5 pts agenda and 60 second sell today. I can't wait.
Tom Cahill
Dec 14, 2016 Tom Cahill rated it really liked it
A good book to read if you or entering (or re-entering) the job world. Concise and cogent. It is a useful book
Katie Dale
Jul 25, 2007 Katie Dale rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say, I'm looking for a job so I have to read the boring stuff before I can start fun reading again.
Cai
Jan 03, 2017 Cai rated it really liked it
Helpful questions. Some I've already encountered during my interviews a few years go when I was applying for a job.
Emily
Feb 01, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've found to prepare you for job interviews. I've used it for years with pretty good success.
Diane Fisher
Simple, fantastic insights into a challenging process. Easily read in a short time. Focus on the key points.

• Better Than Normal: How What Makes You Different Can Make You Exceptional
  • 101 Great Answers to Toughest Interview Questions
  • Resume Magic: Trade Secrets of a Professional Resume Writer
  • The Science of Skinny: Start Understanding Your Body's Chemistry--and Stop Dieting Forever
  • Straying From the Path
  • Soul Hunt (Evie Scelan, #3)
  • Annie's Hero
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
  • Don't Send a Resume: And Other Contrarian Rules to Help Land a Great Job
  • Bridges Out of Poverty: Strategies for Professionals and Communities
  • Inside a U.S. Embassy: How the Foreign Service Works for America
  • Open Wide The Freedom Gates: A Memoir
  • The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success
  • Knock 'em Dead Resumes: How to Write a Killer Resume That Gets You Job Interviews
  • Dreamer's Dictionary
  • The Lion Throne
  • LinkedIn for Dummies
  • J.D. Robb In Death: The First Cases (In Death #1 & 2)

“You’ll never know what you can achieve until you try. Just never, ever give up.” 1 likes
“Interview etiquette is now on center stage in corporate America. Dress, image, and personal presentation are undergoing greater scrutiny than ever before.” 0 likes