Start by marking “The Last Ballot Cast, Part 1 (Jim McGill, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Last Ballot Cast, Part 1 (Jim McGill, #4)

The Last Ballot Cast, Part 1 (Jim McGill #4)

The Last Ballot Cast is a story so big it has to be told in two parts. This is Part 1.

With his son and his wife, the president of the United States, both near death, Jim McGill makes a choice that may save, or lose, both of them.

As McGill makes his agonizing decision, an old nemesis, Dr. Damon Todd, escapes from CIA custody. Breaking out with Todd are two former covert op
Published July 23rd 2012 by Stray Dog Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Last Ballot Cast, Part 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Ballot Cast, Part 1

Jim A
Dec 09, 2012 Jim A rated it it was ok
I'll write a full review after I've read part 2.

As for part one, I was pretty disappointed. The dialogue lacked the snappiness and the wit of the earlier Jim McGill novels. The plots and subplots seemed to ramble on with no purpose to the dialogue or the scenes being played out.

I do like some of Flynn's political ideas, utopian as they are.
Pat
Jan 20, 2017 Pat rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed it...nice easy read

As good as the other books in the series, can't wait to read Part 2 of the Last Ballot Cast
robin pollack
Sep 21, 2016 robin pollack rated it it was amazing
Can't Stop Reading the Jim McGill Series

Another well written story that is so engaging it takes 2 books to tell!! I fell in love with this author and these complex and compelling characters in the first book and haven't stopped since. You must read this series! Excellent story line and a a real page turner. Moving right on to Part 2!
Dolly
Dec 30, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Review: The Last Ballot Cast (Jim McGill #4.1 & #4.2) by Joseph Flynn Thank goodness both these books were available when I started reading this series!!What I liked: I've more or less been engrossed in this series since book 1, The President's Henchman, and have read them almost one behind the other.Mr Flynn's political views are not my own but his storylines and characters are so good, when I would ordinarily scoff at some of the political machinations, I didn't. I kept reading because I ...more
Sally Malkowski
Jan 24, 2015 Sally Malkowski rated it it was amazing
Book Four in Joseph Flynn’s highly entertaining The Jim McGill “Presidential” Series is a two-part-er … so be prepared! I Wasn’t! Talk about leaving the reader hanging! Consequently when I read the final page of The Last Ballot Cast – Part 1, I couldn’t get to the Amazon Kindle site fast enough so I wouldn’t miss a beat.

The plethora of plots and characters continues from his previous books … and after three, this reader pretty much considers them family. I am purposely not giving you any detail
Kenneth Thursby
Mar 13, 2014 Kenneth Thursby rated it it was amazing
Nothing was resolved in this book. Basically the entire book served as a set up piece for the follow up book. When you turn the final page you are left thinking where is the rest. Oh wait you need to go pay more money to buy the ending!

Books four and five should have been one book. If you don't want a 900 page paperback then find a way to resolve something in book four so when you turn the final page you don't feel cheated.

That said, don't allow the bad taste this book will give you from souring
Merle
Dec 23, 2013 Merle rated it liked it
"The Last Ballot Cast" probably needs to be taken as one entry for purposes of a review. I enjoy the series, so liked these. However, there was almost too much going on. I am personally glad that three or four story lines came to an end in these two books (as before, no spoilers here).

The political arguments are interesting and some of the solutions are good enough to make you wish they could really happen. No more pie in the sky, though. Thanks to Mr. Flynn for keeping up with three very good s
Dee Haddrill
Mar 07, 2016 Dee Haddrill rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, read-2016
An excellent series that is more than what you think it will be. Lots of political workings and intrigue, bad guy chases, health issues, family dramas, these books have it all. Being Australian and not really understanding the workings of political elections, I'm really enjoying learning about primaries and such, especially due to the current timing with the 2016 election. A great story and I'm straight into the next one.
Brian
Sep 01, 2015 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: politics
This was a very quick read compared to previous books. Despite that, frustrating the story is split into a second book (and really this is part 2 to the book before it.) It'd be long but I'm sure condensing the three into a single absurdly long volume would be more emotionally satisfying to digest.
Jeanne
Apr 01, 2016 Jeanne rated it it was ok
Flat

The characters don't speak much, instead we are told they did this, they did that makes for dull reading. Also too much extraneous material not pertinent to the story i.e. several pages about the humility of kneeling.

Although the plot is good the story could better have been told in one book. I don't like wasting my time or my money.
Katherine
I could summarize what happens in this book in less than 5minutes. Plus you have to read part 2 for any conclusions, seriously I could care less which candidate wins.

Please write a different series, these characters are rather dull. Jim and Sweetie are the exceptions.
Emily
Jan 18, 2014 Emily rated it it was ok
Did not like this book as much as the others. Felt it was more of a place filler rather than a complete story. I will read part two eventually and I hope the 2nd part is better than the 1st.
Nancy
Sep 07, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
I liked that things came together from the 1st part and have really enjoyed this author and his books.
Rita
May 05, 2014 Rita rated it really liked it
Enjoy this series with it's many sub-plots and twists and turns. Some suspense, romance and family ties bound together . Looking forward to more in this series from this author.
Mlm
Aug 13, 2014 Mlm added it
Good author
Patricia Mccammon
May 07, 2016 Patricia Mccammon rated it really liked it
Good

While trying to catch an escaped killer, McGill has to deal with his son being diagnosed with leukemia and needing a bone marrow donor.
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2016
Teresa Heffernan Anson
Teresa Heffernan Anson rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
James
James rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Virginia Mccurdy
Virginia Mccurdy rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2016
Alan Clegg
Alan Clegg rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2015
Barbara Sheets
Barbara Sheets rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Vito
Vito rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Glenn E. Miller
Glenn E. Miller rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
DR NORMAN
DR NORMAN rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Amilesor
Amilesor rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Pam Smith
Pam Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Elaine Mayes
Elaine Mayes rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2013
george h. grabe
george h. grabe rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Mary Gaughan
Mary Gaughan rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2014
  • Eternity Base (The Green Berets, #5)
  • The Ajax Protocol (The Project, #7)
  • Dead Shift (The Rho Agenda Inception #3)
  • Sedition (Political Conspiracy #1)
  • The Pickle Queen (The MacBrides,  #2)
  • Under a Tell-Tale Sky (Disruption #1)
  • Warning Order (Grant Stevens, #2)
  • Rogue Threat (Threat, #2)
  • The Phantom Patrol
  • Rogue Agents (Justin Hall, #5)
  • Perhaps .... Perhaps
  • Black Flagged Apex (Black Flagged, #3)
  • Arf (Bowser and Birdie #2)
  • Blood Royal
  • American Quartet (Fiona Fitzgerald Mysteries, #1)
  • True Faith and Allegiance (Jack Ryan Universe, #22)
  • The Bonaparte Secret (Lang Reilly #5)
  • The Carafers (Powerless #5)
Joseph Flynn has been published both traditionally — Signet Books, Bantam Books and Variance Publishing — and through his own imprint, Stray Dog Press, Inc. Both major media reviews and reader reviews have praised his work. Booklist said, “Flynn is an excellent storyteller.” The Chicago Tribune said, “Flynn [is] a master of high-octane plotting.” The most repeated reader comment is: Write faster, ...more
More about Joseph Flynn...

Jim McGill (9 books)
  • The President's Henchman (Jim McGill, #1)
  • The Hangman's Companion (Jim McGill, #2)
  • The K Street Killer (Jim McGill, #3)
  • The Last Ballot Cast, Part 2 (Jim McGill, #5)
  • The Devil on the Doorstep (Jim McGill, #6)
  • The Good Guy with a Gun (Jim McGill, #7)
  • The Echo of the Whip (Jim McGill, #8)
  • The Daddy's Girl Decoy (Jim McGill, #9)