Start by marking “A Merry Little Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Merry Little Christmas

A Merry Little Christmas (Christmas #2)

An absorbing novel about family, love and friendship from the bestselling author of Last Christmas.

With four children, a Christmas cookbook to write, and her mum suffering from dementia, Cat Tinsall has plenty to juggle. When her eldest daughter, Mel, starts going off the rails, Cat has even more on her plate.

Pippa Holliday adores her family, although often finds her hands
Published October 25th 2012 by Avon (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Merry Little Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Merry Little Christmas

Joan
I got very confused while reading this book. There were too many characters really and some situations didn't make much sense to me. For example, (and please, I am happy to change this review if I am wrong) I didn't think CF made a child unable to speak or made them unable to walk. There is no mention of the intensive physiotherapy needed either. At one stage I wondered if the author meant 'cerebral palsy' instead.

And then we are told that a foetus has fingernails at 8 weeks. Nope. 12 weeks. The
Beckie Stevenson
Sep 04, 2013 Beckie Stevenson rated it really liked it
It was all a bit confusing at the start with all the numerous names and characters, but I really enjoyed it.
Heather
Oct 08, 2015 Heather rated it did not like it
This book was dire. Pippa's daughter supposedly has cystic fibrosis, but there is not a single mention of the treatments needed in cystic fibrosis! Instead she is wheelchair bound, unable to talk or walk. I think the author has gotten things seriously mixed up, and not a jot of research was done here. It was really awful to read. Dan was a total bastard, the way his and Pippa relationship felt apart didn't feel natural or make any sense. And what was with Michael, like a Christmas Angel? He ...more
Tali
Dec 30, 2012 Tali rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, christmas
From the score, it looks like I didn't think much of this book and that's not true at all. This was a perfectly pleasant novel, although from the cover and title, I was hoping for a bit more of a Christmas-y story. The problem that I had with this novel, is that it's set over the course of a year and following three separate families and it all just gets too much. There's too many different stories and plotlines going all over the place and so you don't end up engaged with any of them. The ...more
Briansmom
Jan 01, 2014 Briansmom rated it did not like it
I'm not 100% sure why I didn't like this book and just couldn't finish it. Maybe the characters were just too cloying and unbelievable. Maybe the British idioms just wore me out. Anyway, not a good book.
Michelle
Nov 17, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing

Found it a bit hard going at first but then I started to enjoy the characters and their own personal struggles throughout the year, leading up to Christmas. A heart wrenching story in places but keeps you gripped to see how it will work out.
Donna
Jan 12, 2013 Donna rated it it was ok
I just wanted a bit of Christmas fluff to read in the holidays. That is exactly what it is. Only read at Christmas and in emergencies. Middle class tripe.
Kim
Jan 06, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2013
I loved this one- a sequel to Last Christmas that I finished a couple of weeks ago. I was really keen to catch up with the characters- so I'm still reading my christmas selections!
Jo Barton
Dec 13, 2012 Jo Barton rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for Romantic Fiction Online.

Ria
Nov 18, 2016 Ria rated it it was amazing
It was a slow read, yet a joyful and worthy one. It took me a week to peruse the book, but I can assure you that I loved every moment of it. This is indubitably an amazing story, not really festive, though; and it didn't matter at all, for the story had managed to tick all the right boxes in other respects.

A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS by Julia Williams is a poignant story of family, friendship and love. It tells the story of three adult moms, who are striving to hit a balance between their momlife,
Fritzov
Nov 23, 2016 Fritzov rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, christmas, 2016
It's called a Christmas Story but not sure it is. Not much of Christmas in it. Still a nice story.
Kerry
Dec 05, 2016 Kerry rated it really liked it
Cute!
Rea Cobb
Dec 01, 2012 Rea Cobb rated it it was amazing
A Merry Little Christmas by Julia Williams has to get top marks from me for the traditional festive cover, a snow covered setting with a family singing carols around the tree and yes a nice sprinkling of glitter in the title, oooooooo I am looking forward to this one!

PLOT

Pippa Holliday a
Nikki Bywater
Nov 21, 2012 Nikki Bywater rated it really liked it
Cat Tinsall is a mum of four. Cat was always close to her own mother and now her mother is suffering from dementia, Cat longs to form a close relationship with her eldest daughter Mel. But when Mel rebels and goes off the rails and she finds herself in trouble will this bring mother and daughter closer together? Or tear them further apart?

Pippa Holliday relies on husband Dan to help out with the family and to give her support. Their daughter Lucy has got special needs and needs constant care and
Carol W
Dec 18, 2012 Carol W rated it really liked it
I was really looking forward to getting into another Julia Williams novel after enjoying The Summer Season earlier this year. This one did not disappoint.

Unexpectedly, the story does not begin as the families are preparing for Christmas, but at the beginning of the year. We follow the four families throughout the year and over the festive period.

My only little niggle was that at the beginning of the novel I felt overwhelmed with getting to know the four families so quickly. I felt like I had w
Siobhán
Feb 20, 2013 Siobhán rated it it was amazing
A Merry Little Christmas is not only a Christmas text, but it really helps the reader connect with the characters. What I adored about this text was I could see a clear image of how this text is basically a reflection on how peoples lives can be in our Non Fiction world. This story just tells the reader how challenging and difficult life can be for people in this generation while relating to the recession and cuts by the National Sunshine Trust a rehabilitation facility for those with Special ...more
Laura Smith
Jun 13, 2013 Laura Smith rated it really liked it
It's nice at this time of year to curl up with a Christmas story and I thought I'd give this a try. The story of Pippa, Marianne and Cat who live in the little village of Hope Christmas and their entangled lives and respective families.

Pippa is a busy new mum struggling to juggle the guilt of being a working mum, Cat is struggling to identify with her wild daughter Mel and Pippa is trying to deal with the challenges of having respite care for her disabled daughter Lucy removed when her husband D
Jessica Medved
Dec 28, 2014 Jessica Medved rated it it was ok
This is the story of the town of Hope Christmas, it follows three women and their families through a whole year leading up to Christmas. It is full of heartache as well as the general Christmas cheer you get out of Holiday books.

THe writing wasn't all that bad, however, this was not a standout novel to me. The characters didn't make me fall in love or feel for them. They just kind of were there doing there thing.
I didn't feel bad for any of them nor did I feel happy when they met success.

My F
MrsC
Jan 14, 2016 MrsC rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas
3 words - Family, Love, Life!
This book was really sweet but.. If I'm really honest it was rather boring.
The story is set in Hope Christmas (like Emmerdale) and not much really happens there. I found this a hard read as I was a little bored although the way the Author has made these characters was what kept me reading. I found myself caring about the characters especially Pippa, Dan and Mel. There was one point where I was going to give up but I couldn't, I needed to know what happened with them
Diana
Apr 28, 2016 Diana rated it it was amazing
i really enjoyed this book. For a christmas based chic lit it dealt with some quite difficult subjects. A family whose little girl has cerebral palsy whose respite care was under threat made even more challenging when the Dad has bad farming accident. Another family whose stress is compounded by a midlife unplanned pregnancy just as the teenage daughter seems hell bend on flying off the rails and self destructing. But somehow it all pulls itself together into a heartwarming (if sad and tense in ...more
Book-shelf Shelf
Dec 05, 2012 Book-shelf Shelf rated it really liked it
Simply brilliant! I loved the story, loved the characters and loved the village life. However i was disappointed that most of the book wasn't about Christmas, which was expected given the title. But still a brilliant read and i will defiantly be reading more of Julia's books.

We Have copies of this to give away on our blog, enter one of our competitions
Lynnette
Nov 22, 2012 Lynnette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book! It was a great easy read. I really liked and empathised with all the main characters Cat, Marianne and Pippa. You can see bits of yourself in all of them.
This is the sequel to Last Christmas but it can be read as a stand alone as I have done. Will probably read Last Christmas now to see what the characters were doing leading up to the events in this book.
Definitely one to Recommend!!
Niki
Dec 11, 2014 Niki rated it liked it
To be honest these books are called a Christmas series but the Christmas bit is usually right at the end of the book. This book spans a year and is all about the struggles the main characters/ families deal with throughout the year. Everything seems to come to some sort of a solution around Christmas time (at the end of the book) and the ending seems rather rushed. not my favorite series, not bad but I wouldn't market them as Christmas books in my opinion.
Heather
Mar 22, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really lovely book, there were twists turns and truly moments that made you want to close your eyes and wish it all away!

I felt like I was part of the story, watching with care what was happening to the families, wanting to support them, comfort them and celebrate with them!

A fantastic Christmas read!
Debbie
Dec 23, 2014 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: festive-reads
I did enjoy this book, but didn't find it overly festive (which is why I only gave it 3*). I liked balance of the three families characters, they worked well together and it the book was certainly easy reading...But it just wasn't a very Christmasy story!
Nicky
Jan 05, 2013 Nicky rated it liked it
This was bought for me by my son, so I was determined to be seen reading it! It was good, a little 'slow' possibly won't be reading her again though. Think there was just too much going on,and not the focus on Christmas that you'd expect from a book with this title
Angel Serrano
Lacrimógena historia de cómo se prepara la Navidad en un pueblo de la Inglaterra central, contada a seis manos con tres amigas y sus problemas familiares que las acompañan. Los hijos adolescentes, las relaciones de pareja y los recortes sociales del gobierno encuentran su sitio en la novela.
Hannah
Dec 31, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it
Not the most ground breaking read, but a nice, happy, easy one for Christmas. I was particularly interested in Mel's storyline and liked the little additions at the end of the book, such as the cheat's guide to Christmas and the Economic Christmas Pud recipe.
Jess
Jan 14, 2013 Jess rated it it was amazing
Amazing story, which was very close to home. I laughed and i cried. Very sad when i had finished it as i think i could of read it forever.
It was lovely to follow the 3 families through their year and getting to know them. I am definatly going to read more books by this author.
Carrie
Dec 04, 2014 Carrie rated it really liked it
This was a delightful follow-up to a previous Christmas story. It was enjoyable to re-visit these characters.
  • Santa Maybe
  • With Love at Christmas
  • Winter Wonderland
  • Once upon a Christmas
  • Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
  • The Twelve Days to Christmas (Single in the City)
  • The Perfect Christmas
  • Miracle on Regent Street
  • When I Fall In Love

Christmas (4 books)
  • Last Christmas
  • Coming Home For Christmas: Warm, humorous and completely irresistible!
  • A Hope Christmas Love Story