A Merry Little Christmas

A Merry Little Christmas

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  28 reviews
An absorbing novel about family, love and friendship from the bestselling author of Last Christmas.

With four children, a Christmas cookbook to write, and her mum suffering from dementia, Cat Tinsall has plenty to juggle. When her eldest daughter, Mel, starts going off the rails, Cat has even more on her plate.

Pippa Holliday adores her family, although often finds her hands...more
Published October 25th 2012 by Avon (first published October 1st 2012)

Beckie Stevenson
It was all a bit confusing at the start with all the numerous names and characters, but I really enjoyed it.
Michelle

Found it a bit hard going at first but then I started to enjoy the characters and their own personal struggles throughout the year, leading up to Christmas. A heart wrenching story in places but keeps you gripped to see how it will work out.
Tali
From the score, it looks like I didn't think much of this book and that's not true at all. This was a perfectly pleasant novel, although from the cover and title, I was hoping for a bit more of a Christmas-y story. The problem that I had with this novel, is that it's set over the course of a year and following three separate families and it all just gets too much. There's too many different stories and plotlines going all over the place and so you don't end up engaged with any of them. The stori...more
Nikki Bywater
Cat Tinsall is a mum of four. Cat was always close to her own mother and now her mother is suffering from dementia, Cat longs to form a close relationship with her eldest daughter Mel. But when Mel rebels and goes off the rails and she finds herself in trouble will this bring mother and daughter closer together? Or tear them further apart?

Pippa Holliday relies on husband Dan to help out with the family and to give her support. Their daughter Lucy has got special needs and needs constant care and...more
Rea Sinfield
A Merry Little Christmas by Julia Williams has to get top marks from me for the traditional festive cover, a snow covered setting with a family singing carols around the tree and yes a nice sprinkling of glitter in the title, oooooooo I am looking forward to this one!

PLOT

Pippa Holliday a...more
Siobhán
A Merry Little Christmas is not only a Christmas text, but it really helps the reader connect with the characters. What I adored about this text was I could see a clear image of how this text is basically a reflection on how peoples lives can be in our Non Fiction world. This story just tells the reader how challenging and difficult life can be for people in this generation while relating to the recession and cuts by the National Sunshine Trust a rehabilitation facility for those with Special Ne...more
Dizzyc
I was really looking forward to getting into another Julia Williams novel after enjoying The Summer Season earlier this year. This one did not disappoint.

Unexpectedly, the story does not begin as the families are preparing for Christmas, but at the beginning of the year. We follow the four families throughout the year and over the festive period.

My only little niggle was that at the beginning of the novel I felt overwhelmed with getting to know the four families so quickly. I felt like I had w...more
Laura Smith
It's nice at this time of year to curl up with a Christmas story and I thought I'd give this a try. The story of Pippa, Marianne and Cat who live in the little village of Hope Christmas and their entangled lives and respective families.

Pippa is a busy new mum struggling to juggle the guilt of being a working mum, Cat is struggling to identify with her wild daughter Mel and Pippa is trying to deal with the challenges of having respite care for her disabled daughter Lucy removed when her husband D...more
Clare Coffey
The storyline in my opinion could have been better. The characters were a little bland - could have had more depth. In the end, I did not like any of the characters.
Karen
I was really looking forward to reading this book but I was a bit dissappointed and I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Christmas was only really mentioned at the beginning and end of the book. I think if I had read it at any other time of the year I would of probably given it more stars. Also found that there was a bit to much going on with four families and at times it was a bit hard to keep up!
Book-shelf Shelf
Simply brilliant! I loved the story, loved the characters and loved the village life. However i was disappointed that most of the book wasn't about Christmas, which was expected given the title. But still a brilliant read and i will defiantly be reading more of Julia's books.

We Have copies of this to give away on our blog, enter one of our competitions
Lynnette
Loved this book! It was a great easy read. I really liked and empathised with all the main characters Cat, Marianne and Pippa. You can see bits of yourself in all of them.
This is the sequel to Last Christmas but it can be read as a stand alone as I have done. Will probably read Last Christmas now to see what the characters were doing leading up to the events in this book.
Definitely one to Recommend!!
Briansmom
I'm not 100% sure why I didn't like this book and just couldn't finish it. Maybe the characters were just too cloying and unbelievable. Maybe the British idioms just wore me out. Anyway, not a good book.
Heather
A really lovely book, there were twists turns and truly moments that made you want to close your eyes and wish it all away!

I felt like I was part of the story, watching with care what was happening to the families, wanting to support them, comfort them and celebrate with them!

A fantastic Christmas read!
Angel Serrano
Lacrimógena historia de cómo se prepara la Navidad en un pueblo de la Inglaterra central, contada a seis manos con tres amigas y sus problemas familiares que las acompañan. Los hijos adolescentes, las relaciones de pareja y los recortes sociales del gobierno encuentran su sitio en la novela.
Jess
Amazing story, which was very close to home. I laughed and i cried. Very sad when i had finished it as i think i could of read it forever.
It was lovely to follow the 3 families through their year and getting to know them. I am definatly going to read more books by this author.
Nicky
This was bought for me by my son, so I was determined to be seen reading it! It was good, a little 'slow' possibly won't be reading her again though. Think there was just too much going on,and not the focus on Christmas that you'd expect from a book with this title
Hannah
Not the most ground breaking read, but a nice, happy, easy one for Christmas. I was particularly interested in Mel's storyline and liked the little additions at the end of the book, such as the cheat's guide to Christmas and the Economic Christmas Pud recipe.
Kim
Jan 06, 2013 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, kindle
I loved this one- a sequel to Last Christmas that I finished a couple of weeks ago. I was really keen to catch up with the characters- so I'm still reading my christmas selections!
Joanna Warrens
This was a sequel to Last Christmas. I really enjoyed it. The characters feel real and everything does not magically wrap up at the end. This is the best Julia Williams book I have read.
Donna
I just wanted a bit of Christmas fluff to read in the holidays. That is exactly what it is. Only read at Christmas and in emergencies. Middle class tripe.
Beth Gosser
i like all her books this one ended a little differently not so happy ever after for some.
Christine
I thought the prequel, Last Christmas, was much better.
Rebecca
A very good read about the ups and downs of life.
Chriss Monks
Lovely easy read, nice story, feel good factor
Hannah Howard
a brilliant festive read xx
Kym

Loved this book
  • With Love at Christmas
  • Married By Christmas
  • Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
  • A Winter Flame
  • Winter Wonderland
  • Mistletoe in Manhattan
  • The Twelve Days to Christmas (Single in the City)
  • The Magic of Christmas
  • Christmas at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #2)
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • When I Fall In Love
  • The Perfect Present
  • Home for Christmas
  • The Xmas Factor
  • Bad Angels
Last Christmas The Bridesmaid Pact Midsummer Magic The Summer Season Strictly Love