Start by marking “A Merry Little Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Merry Little Christmas

A Merry Little Christmas (Christmas #2)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  37 reviews
An absorbing novel about family, love and friendship from the bestselling author of Last Christmas.

With four children, a Christmas cookbook to write, and her mum suffering from dementia, Cat Tinsall has plenty to juggle. When her eldest daughter, Mel, starts going off the rails, Cat has even more on her plate.

Pippa Holliday adores her family, although often finds her hands
Published October 25th 2012 by Avon (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Merry Little Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Merry Little Christmas

Twelve Days of Christmas by Trisha AshleyThe Night Before Christmas by Scarlett BaileyIt Started With A Kiss by Miranda DickinsonMiracle on Regent Street by Ali HarrisWith Love at Christmas by Carole Matthews
Christmas Chick Lit
32nd out of 164 books — 261 voters
Truly, Madly, Deeply by Faraaz KaziShiver by Maggie StiefvaterShadowland by Meg CabotNinth Key by Meg CabotDarkest Hour by Meg Cabot
romances with picture covers
192nd out of 203 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Joan
I got very confused while reading this book. There were too many characters really and some situations didn't make much sense to me. For example, (and please, I am happy to change this review if I am wrong) I didn't think CF made a child unable to speak or made them unable to walk. There is no mention of the intensive physiotherapy needed either. At one stage I wondered if the author meant 'cerebral palsy' instead.

And then we are told that a foetus has fingernails at 8 weeks. Nope. 12 weeks. The
Beckie Stevenson
It was all a bit confusing at the start with all the numerous names and characters, but I really enjoyed it.
Michelle

Found it a bit hard going at first but then I started to enjoy the characters and their own personal struggles throughout the year, leading up to Christmas. A heart wrenching story in places but keeps you gripped to see how it will work out.
Jo Barton
Reviewed for Romantic Fiction Online.

Jessica Medved
This is the story of the town of Hope Christmas, it follows three women and their families through a whole year leading up to Christmas. It is full of heartache as well as the general Christmas cheer you get out of Holiday books.

THe writing wasn't all that bad, however, this was not a standout novel to me. The characters didn't make me fall in love or feel for them. They just kind of were there doing there thing.
I didn't feel bad for any of them nor did I feel happy when they met success.

My F
Diana
i really enjoyed this book. For a christmas based chic lit it dealt with some quite difficult subjects. A family whose little girl has cerebral palsy whose respite care was under threat made even more challenging when the Dad has bad farming accident. Another family whose stress is compounded by a midlife unplanned pregnancy just as the teenage daughter seems hell bend on flying off the rails and self destructing. But somehow it all pulls itself together into a heartwarming (if sad and tense in ...more
Tali
From the score, it looks like I didn't think much of this book and that's not true at all. This was a perfectly pleasant novel, although from the cover and title, I was hoping for a bit more of a Christmas-y story. The problem that I had with this novel, is that it's set over the course of a year and following three separate families and it all just gets too much. There's too many different stories and plotlines going all over the place and so you don't end up engaged with any of them. The stori ...more
Nikki Bywater
Cat Tinsall is a mum of four. Cat was always close to her own mother and now her mother is suffering from dementia, Cat longs to form a close relationship with her eldest daughter Mel. But when Mel rebels and goes off the rails and she finds herself in trouble will this bring mother and daughter closer together? Or tear them further apart?

Pippa Holliday relies on husband Dan to help out with the family and to give her support. Their daughter Lucy has got special needs and needs constant care and
Rea Sinfield
A Merry Little Christmas by Julia Williams has to get top marks from me for the traditional festive cover, a snow covered setting with a family singing carols around the tree and yes a nice sprinkling of glitter in the title, oooooooo I am looking forward to this one!

PLOT

Pippa Holliday a
Siobhán
A Merry Little Christmas is not only a Christmas text, but it really helps the reader connect with the characters. What I adored about this text was I could see a clear image of how this text is basically a reflection on how peoples lives can be in our Non Fiction world. This story just tells the reader how challenging and difficult life can be for people in this generation while relating to the recession and cuts by the National Sunshine Trust a rehabilitation facility for those with Special Ne ...more
Carol W
I was really looking forward to getting into another Julia Williams novel after enjoying The Summer Season earlier this year. This one did not disappoint.

Unexpectedly, the story does not begin as the families are preparing for Christmas, but at the beginning of the year. We follow the four families throughout the year and over the festive period.

My only little niggle was that at the beginning of the novel I felt overwhelmed with getting to know the four families so quickly. I felt like I had w
Laura Smith
It's nice at this time of year to curl up with a Christmas story and I thought I'd give this a try. The story of Pippa, Marianne and Cat who live in the little village of Hope Christmas and their entangled lives and respective families.

Pippa is a busy new mum struggling to juggle the guilt of being a working mum, Cat is struggling to identify with her wild daughter Mel and Pippa is trying to deal with the challenges of having respite care for her disabled daughter Lucy removed when her husband D
Clare Coffey
The storyline in my opinion could have been better. The characters were a little bland - could have had more depth. In the end, I did not like any of the characters.
Debbie
I did enjoy this book, but didn't find it overly festive (which is why I only gave it 3*). I liked balance of the three families characters, they worked well together and it the book was certainly easy reading...But it just wasn't a very Christmasy story!
Carrie
This was a delightful follow-up to a previous Christmas story. It was enjoyable to re-visit these characters.
Alison
Quick read the last of the xmas themed book I brought nice story enjoyed it
Becca Thomas
enjoyed escaping back to Hope Christmas. perfect festive feast
Niki
To be honest these books are called a Christmas series but the Christmas bit is usually right at the end of the book. This book spans a year and is all about the struggles the main characters/ families deal with throughout the year. Everything seems to come to some sort of a solution around Christmas time (at the end of the book) and the ending seems rather rushed. not my favorite series, not bad but I wouldn't market them as Christmas books in my opinion.
Karen
I was really looking forward to reading this book but I was a bit dissappointed and I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Christmas was only really mentioned at the beginning and end of the book. I think if I had read it at any other time of the year I would of probably given it more stars. Also found that there was a bit to much going on with four families and at times it was a bit hard to keep up!
Book-shelf Shelf
Simply brilliant! I loved the story, loved the characters and loved the village life. However i was disappointed that most of the book wasn't about Christmas, which was expected given the title. But still a brilliant read and i will defiantly be reading more of Julia's books.

We Have copies of this to give away on our blog, enter one of our competitions
Lynnette
Loved this book! It was a great easy read. I really liked and empathised with all the main characters Cat, Marianne and Pippa. You can see bits of yourself in all of them.
This is the sequel to Last Christmas but it can be read as a stand alone as I have done. Will probably read Last Christmas now to see what the characters were doing leading up to the events in this book.
Definitely one to Recommend!!
Briansmom
I'm not 100% sure why I didn't like this book and just couldn't finish it. Maybe the characters were just too cloying and unbelievable. Maybe the British idioms just wore me out. Anyway, not a good book.
Heather
A really lovely book, there were twists turns and truly moments that made you want to close your eyes and wish it all away!

I felt like I was part of the story, watching with care what was happening to the families, wanting to support them, comfort them and celebrate with them!

A fantastic Christmas read!
Angel Serrano
Lacrimógena historia de cómo se prepara la Navidad en un pueblo de la Inglaterra central, contada a seis manos con tres amigas y sus problemas familiares que las acompañan. Los hijos adolescentes, las relaciones de pareja y los recortes sociales del gobierno encuentran su sitio en la novela.
Jess
Amazing story, which was very close to home. I laughed and i cried. Very sad when i had finished it as i think i could of read it forever.
It was lovely to follow the 3 families through their year and getting to know them. I am definatly going to read more books by this author.
Nicky
This was bought for me by my son, so I was determined to be seen reading it! It was good, a little 'slow' possibly won't be reading her again though. Think there was just too much going on,and not the focus on Christmas that you'd expect from a book with this title
Hannah
Not the most ground breaking read, but a nice, happy, easy one for Christmas. I was particularly interested in Mel's storyline and liked the little additions at the end of the book, such as the cheat's guide to Christmas and the Economic Christmas Pud recipe.
Kim
Jan 06, 2013 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, kindle
I loved this one- a sequel to Last Christmas that I finished a couple of weeks ago. I was really keen to catch up with the characters- so I'm still reading my christmas selections!
Joanna Warrens
This was a sequel to Last Christmas. I really enjoyed it. The characters feel real and everything does not magically wrap up at the end. This is the best Julia Williams book I have read.
Donna
I just wanted a bit of Christmas fluff to read in the holidays. That is exactly what it is. Only read at Christmas and in emergencies. Middle class tripe.
  • With Love at Christmas
  • A Winter Flame
  • The Magic of Christmas
  • Kiss Me Under the Mistletoe
  • Christmas at the Crescent
  • The Twelve Days to Christmas (Single in the City)
  • Home for Christmas
  • The Perfect Christmas
  • The Perfect Present
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • When I Fall In Love
  • Mistletoe in Manhattan
  • Christmas at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #2)

Christmas (4 books)
  • Last Christmas
  • Coming Home For Christmas
  • A Hope Christmas Love Story
Last Christmas The Bridesmaid Pact Midsummer Magic The Summer Season Coming Home For Christmas