Start by marking “Yesterday's Hero (Arthur Wallace, #2)” as Want to Read:
Yesterday's Hero (Arthur Wallace, #2)

Yesterday's Hero (Arthur Wallace #2)

Another day. Another zombie T-Rex to put down. All part of the routine for Arthur Wallace and MI37—the government department devoted to defending Britain from threats magical, supernatural, extraterrestrial, and generally odd. Except a zombie T-Rex is only the first of the problems about to trample, slavering and roaring, through Arthur's life. Before he can say, “but didn ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 372 pages
Published July 31st 2012 by Jonathan Wood

To ask other readers questions about Yesterday's Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yesterday's Hero

Hobart
Sep 03, 2012 Hobart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Better than No Hero--all the strengths, but more of everything. The emotional punches are Whedon-esque, genuine, earned and not terribly manipulative. Good, good, good stuff. Sign me up for more.
Mike
Aug 05, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
You know how thriller movies have "Hollywood physics"?

There's also what I can only call "Hollywood human biology". You know, where people get repeatedly flung through the air by massive explosions and smashed into concrete walls, or beaten up, or dragged along the ground, and each time they're in pain for about 30 seconds and then carry on? Instead of being hospitalized for six weeks with ruptured internal organs and multiple fractures, and then unable to use their limbs properly for a year?

This
Amanda Meggs
Jan 15, 2017 Amanda Meggs rated it really liked it
I haven't read the first book in the series, and while I was aware once I began reading that this was part of a series it was fine as a stand alone book. The characters were well drawn and interesting, leaving some details for future novels. The antagonists were a fun return to cold war days when bad guys were properly bad. Arthur is a good guy but seems quite Arthur Dent (with weapons) at times, amiable, kind, misunderstood frequently and bumbling around to the right answers. An action packed, ...more
Caroline Niziol
Aug 22, 2012 Caroline Niziol rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This book made me realize just how much I love sequels. The world-building has already taken place in the first book, all the major characters are generally clear, and the focus shifts to plot and character development. Though I enjoyed No Here, this sequel is even better. I preferred this book's Big Bad, so that helped, but I also liked the trajectory the plot took. Wood isn't afraid of a few casualties, which is another reason I enjoy this series.
Text Addict
A bit too much with the "band of misfits" shtick and rather violent, but fast-paced, difficult to put down, and entertaining.
Ian
Jan 10, 2014 Ian rated it it was amazing
I hope there's going to be another book I liked the Dry Humor
Burgoo
Aug 25, 2012 Burgoo rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, sf
Yesterday’s Hero picks up where No Hero has left off. After saving the Earth from the Lovecraftian horrors of the first book, Arthur Wallace & the team from MI37 must now stop time travelers from the Soviet Union who are attempting to change the time stream in order to achieve Soviet supremacy.

If you haven’t yet read No Hero, that would be recommended before trying Yesterday’s Hero. Wood does very little to bring new readers up to speed. I think that you would probably be a bit lost.

It’s imp
Jessica
Dec 17, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarcastic, witty and definitely a laugh-out-loud kindof book. Contains an overdose of similes involving shit and piss, but I can appreciate those well enough. The plot was interesting, the characters were unique and realistic (personality-wise that is).
Favourite character has got to be Winston. Or more specifically, Winston and Ogden together.
"I have to be going now," I say.
"Oh yeah, course you do," Winston yells at me. "That's it, abandon me. I never helped you out. I never trod on a Russian
Mike
Sep 04, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing

I'm in love...alas...Mr. Wood isn't my type, of course, I'm probably not his either. Of course, I only love him for his fiction. It would only be a marriage of convenience. I'm up to my nose in hyperbole, but this is a very good book. I feel for the characters, their frustration, their anger and their sadness. I even feel their hatred for the new boss. It's rare to find a book like that; one that communicates those emotions so well.

It's kind of cool to save the world. Of course, when this happen

Normalene
Dec 29, 2014 Normalene rated it really liked it
This is the second in the series after "No Hero," published earlier in 2014. The third one, "Anti Hero," should be out later in 2015. Arthur Wallace works for a hidden department of the British government fighting supernatural crime and as always, the fate of the world is at stake. His department is a little dysfunctional, his boss is a little crazy even though she might be his new girlfriend. The Russians think it is still 1980 as they are stuck in a time loop and Arthur and his team have to sa ...more
David Bruner
Nov 03, 2016 David Bruner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine David Tennant as a police officer with the confused mannerisms of Bilbo Baggins when the dwarves arrive at Bag End in the beginning of the hobbit. Now imagine he works for MI37, the British equivalent of the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defence, the Men in Black, and SHIELD. Finally, imagine his tactical experience and decision-making is based on what Kurt Russel would do in one of his 80's action movies.

Now you have a basic idea of who agent Arthur Wallace, the protagonist of this
David Traver Adolphus
I am deeply surprised and impressed by Wood’s writing. Prequel No Hero was good, very enjoyable and original; but Yesterday’s Hero is a work of near genius. I was consistently knocked on my ass by his use of language, stuff I’d normally expect in a Man Booker winner but find sorely lacking in genre fiction. There are sentences that are still go through my head, and I am richer for them. And the best part was that it’s not a heavy work by any means—it’s an actioner! How great is that? I have the ...more
Erin
Jul 13, 2014 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-free
Kathy
Aug 07, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
This was an ejoyable follow up to No Hero- Arthur saved the world yesterday but he's about to find out it's not as appreciated as he might have thought. I have to admit there were a few bits to the plot that made me go "that doesn't seem right" but our heros are growing and not staying static and I'll still be picking up the next book in this series when it is out.

Steven
Fun, fast-paced, and light-hearted neo-pulp romp in an England with magic.

Think of this as if Helen Mirren's Prime Suspect series got shuffled together with Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and other odder magical touches.

Loads of fun to read and the character growth from the first book (No Hero) is organic and sensible.

Looking forward to Mr. Wood's next novel in this series!
Jonathan
Jul 29, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
No Hero was a fun romp. Yesterdays Hero takes the romp and runs with it. When it starts with a zombie T-Rex and works its way through Chernobyl?

I do feel sorry for poor Arthur. If people listened to the new guy, there could have been so many pains avoided. On the other hand that might not have been as much of a fun story.

Onward to Anti Hero.
Dan Barbier
Sep 12, 2012 Dan Barbier rated it really liked it
Yesterday's Hero, the second Arthur Wallace novel is a hilarious action romp. It's Big Trouble on Little China mixed with the Dresden Files and British comedies. I just love this series and can't wait for number three.
Steve
Jun 15, 2015 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Very fun read. Somehow the evil Russian wizards made for a better plot than the other-reality, world-eating alien invaders of the first book. Great new characters in the Weekenders and loved the new developments in all the old group too. Going to move right onto Anti-Hero.
Kerry
Jun 14, 2016 Kerry rated it liked it
Published 2014. Again I start with #2 in the series. Not bad. Quirky, action packed - and really into Kurt Russell.
Jason
Dec 28, 2016 Jason rated it really liked it
fun and entertaining read. Read this over about 3 sittings. Action packed of course and a good amount of humor. liking this series and looking forward to the next couple!
Chuck Kechter
Jul 10, 2016 Chuck Kechter rated it really liked it
Excellent book! A lot of fun!
Troy Wilson
Feb 20, 2014 Troy Wilson rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Lots of action, humor and Kurt Russel!
John Patrick
Aug 15, 2012 John Patrick rated it really liked it
So I have to thank Jonathan Wood for this book. Earlier this year for one week he gave out digital copies of his previous book No Hero and this brand new book "Yesterday's Hero" before it was even available in stores asking folks to read it and post reviews to help spread the word. I think this is a great idea in this digital age to help authors promote their work. I'm only sorry that it took me so long to get around to reading this because I was in the middle of reading How to Live Safely in a ...more
Jeff
Jun 21, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I don't know if this is a trend or not, but a number of UK authors have done novels that strike me as the Office meets urban fantasy - first and foremost is, of course, Charles Stross' Laundry novels. Mr. Wood's "Hero" novels fits perfectly within this trend. Hero's hero (say that 10 times fast) is a very competent police officer with a minor inferiority complex (I place the blame on too many Hollywood movies a la Kurt Russell) who has been drafted into M137 (Wood's Laundry) to do battle with th ...more
Cst
Jan 20, 2016 Cst rated it liked it
Of the three books I read this is easily the highlight. It is also what convinced me not to continue the series.

Following closely after the first book, our hero still works for the government to combat strange threats to the UK. This time it is extremely weird Russians.

Basically the problems I had with the first book were confirmed and reinforced:
Characters develop not even between books due to the frantic pace. The second book starts about twelve hours after the first, there is simply no time f
Mary
Aug 21, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
Another day, another threat to thwart. Agent Arthur Wallace is back in Jonathan Wood's follow-up to "No Hero", and this time, s#it gets real. If "No Hero" was an adventurous romp, "Yesterday's Hero" grounds things somewhat, when things go really rather wrong; and not everyone is guaranteed to get out of it alive. New friends become allies, old friends become adversaries, and Agent Wallace has to sort out relationship dynamics whilst keeping an eye on the latest threat to the world. While the hum ...more
Cheyne Burns
Sep 14, 2016 Cheyne Burns rated it it was amazing
I went in to his book immediately after the first and found myself thinking after the first few chapters, wow, this is different. But in no way a bad thing. It's just a testament to Jonathan Woods writing skill, commitment to building his characters and relationships, and consistently interesting and unique creatures, enemies and twists making each book in the series unique in their own right.

*two thumbs up*
Kein
Nov 24, 2012 Kein rated it liked it
Didn't enjoy the beginning as much, but the rest of it was just wham bam awesome. The battered anti-hero struggles to save the world while the rest of the world thinks him wrong. Lurid fast-paced action with chunks of dour humour inserted surreptiously, recommended read.
Greg
May 27, 2013 Greg rated it really liked it
Another great book in this series. If you liked the first, you'll like this one too.

Again, the author had me chuckling through out, as I kept turning the pages... Comments like, "But we saved the world yesterday!" "Yeah, but that was yesterday..." lol. Snarky and I liked it.
glitrbug
Sep 29, 2012 glitrbug rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This is the rare instance where the second book in a series is as satisfying as the first. More good fun.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Devil You Know (Nick Englebrecht, #1)
  • Mr Blank (Fill in the Blank, #1)
  • Atticus for the Undead
  • Mixed Feelings (Empathy in the Preternatural PNW #1)
  • Weird Detectives: Recent Investigations
  • On the Train
  • Dark Detectives: An Anthology of Supernatural Mysteries
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • There Goes the Galaxy (There Goes the Galaxy #1)
  • Timepiece (Keeping Time Trilogy #1)
  • The Unknown
  • Circus: Fantasy Under the Big Top
  • Two Hundred and Twenty-One Baker Streets: An Anthology of Holmesian Tales Across Time and Space
  • Doc Sidhe
  • Sunset (John Bekker, #1)
  • City of the Lost
  • Sharp (Mindspace Investigations, #2)
  • Matchbox Girls (Senyaza Series, #1)

Arthur Wallace (4 books)
  • No Hero (Arthur Wallace, #1)
  • Anti-Hero (Arthur Wallace, #3)
  • Broken Hero (Arthur Wallace, #4)