Start by marking “Journeyman” as Want to Read:
Journeyman

Journeyman

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  221 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Every young hockey player dreams of one day playing in the NHL, of skating on a line with his hero and drinking champagne in the dressing room after winning the Stanley Cup. But kids should watch what they wish for.

They may make it to the pros, like Sean Pronger, only to end up playing for sixteen teams over eleven seasons. They may end up on a team with a guy like the Gre
Published November 6th 2012 by Viking Canada

To ask other readers questions about Journeyman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journeyman

Icewineanne
Dec 12, 2012 Icewineanne rated it really liked it
My husband and I are huge hockey fans, so you can imagine how thrilled we were, when we found out that we had won a copy of Sean Pronger's book from Goodreads. The book is a fascinating account of the life of a hockey player striving to play the sport he loves at its highest level, in the NHL. It's not easy getting to the NHL, and just when he thought he had finally had made it, he gets sent back to the farm team. Sean tells tales of the difficulties adjusting to the constant changes, being trad ...more
Avon Gale
This book is inspirational, laugh-out-loud funny, and thoroughly enjoyable. I read it all in one sitting, and I wish I could find a Sean Pronger jersey because I would totally get one from one of his many and various teams. Just a guy who loved hockey and wanted to play no matter what, and my favorite kind of player, too. Highly recommended, and instrumental for me in researching for the Scoring Chances series.
Geremy Mcfadden
Aug 30, 2014 Geremy Mcfadden rated it it was amazing
Must read for all hockey fans. Sean Pronger writes a book that keeps you interested in everything he does from playing hockey to living in a farm house to going to Germany. His humor keeps things light hearted and he seems like a great guy. Did not regret reading this book one bit.
Trent Bell
Jan 11, 2015 Trent Bell rated it it was amazing
Flying from city to city, getting paid millions of dollars to play in front of thousands of people. Every young athlete's dream. right? Well, maybe not: "Journeyman" by Sean Pronger demonstrates how tough it is to truly make it in professional hockey. This comedy follows the life of college hockey all - star, Sean Pronger as he unsuccessfully tries to make it to the big league. "Journeyman" shows what it is really like for most pro hockey players jumping from city to city. Along the way Sean Pro ...more
Kristen
Feb 29, 2016 Kristen rated it it was amazing
“Journeyman” is the story of the ups and down of Sean Pronger’s hockey career. He bounced around from minor league to NHL so many times I lost count. Despite all the ups and downs, Pronger never seemed to lose the sense of humor that made this book so entertaining. Well, maybe he lost his sense of humor in Germany, but in his situation you can’t blame him. There were times when he was more serious, such as the birth of his daughter. He also discussed the effect his many career moves had on his f ...more
Ryan
Apr 05, 2015 Ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: canadiana
This book provides a glimpse into the life of a professional fourth-liner, which makes it both unique and refreshing. Why should all-star hall-of-famers be the only ones with book deals?

I enjoyed reading about the many ups and downs (literally) that a fringe player like Pronger must endure to piece together a career on the ice. Truly interesting stuff.

However, I feel like there are a few details that have been left out. For example, Pronger mentions that, for players like him, a post-retirement
Brent Venton
Mar 15, 2013 Brent Venton rated it really liked it
I read this book while reading Ken Dryden's "The Game" at the same time and while Pronger is certainly not as cerebral an author or player as Dryden this book is infinitely more entertaining.

Forever labelled as "Chris Pronger's brother" (and the older one at that) the lesser known Prongs details the occasional highs and many many lows of his career as a marginal NHL-er and minor League-er. He throws in a good mix of on-ice and locker room anecdotes, references to longstanding hockey rumours and
Sabrina
Nov 30, 2012 Sabrina rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I found the perspective of Sean Pronger interesting. With the lock out currently forcing NHLers to go overseas, I found Sean's views interesting. Sean has obviously been through many glorifying and heartbreaking moments in his career. The cup win with Chris to the cuts from different teams. I found that his chapter about going overseas heart wrenching. I felt his pain when reading the book. I know how difficult it can be to move but I could not imagine trying to play hockey on a team that no one ...more
Patty
Oct 21, 2012 Patty rated it really liked it
As a "first reads" winner of this book and grandmother of a boy who loves hockey, I was eager to read about the life of a professional hockey player who wasn't one of the top players in the league. Too often they are the only ones we hear about. Sean Pronger does an excellent job of sharing his life as a "journeyman" hockey player with us. Using his personal stories and experiences he relates the ups and downs of hockey life when in this position. He gave me a much better understanding of how th ...more
Benjamin Kahn
Jul 22, 2016 Benjamin Kahn rated it liked it
I find the stories of career minor leaguers usually more interesting than that of superstars. A player striving to keep battling against all odds, with little encouragement in terms of success or pay is fascinating to me. Pronger's book delivers this, although he did have moments where he got to play on the big stage. Unfortunately, writing this two years after I read this book, the impressions that I am most left with were that Pronger was a bit of a prick. The whole excursion to Germany really ...more
Floy Campbell
Jan 17, 2015 Floy Campbell rated it really liked it
If you're looking to read a story about the superstar hockey player who makes it the NHL and gets the multi-million dollar contracts, this is not that story. Journeyman is instead a front-row seat to the life of the hockey player who has just enough talent to make it into the pros, but has to claw his way back to the NHL time and again. Sean Pronger gives an eye-opening, first person account that underlines the fact that just because you make it to the big times, doesn't mean you get to stay the ...more
Charles L Harris Jr
This is what it's like to be a Journeyman in Pro Hockey

what do you say when all you wanna do.is play hockey eat sleep breathe hockey and you get drafted then no offer from you're draft team spend time in the ECHL then IHL and then AHL get finally called up then get traded demoted waived ride the bench for the Love of the game it was all there and if I was Sean Pronger I wouldn't change a thing except going overseas but was everything I thought and so much more thanks for the guided tour of how t
Michelle
Dec 13, 2012 Michelle rated it it was ok
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads.

I was looking forward to reading this book until I actually started reading it and remembered I actually don't enjoy Hockey, even to read about it. It was interesting to read it from the point of a player, because when you watch Hockey on TV you don't think about the rookie's who are so eager to get on the ice and play. It was a good book, just not my kind of book.
Jamie Bradway
May 01, 2013 Jamie Bradway rated it liked it
Journeyman is very informative - fun to compare the life of a hockey player going up and down the pro system to the similar books I've read about baseball. I was left with the feeling that Sean Pronger probably would have some interesting tales to tell about that life. I should have been left with the feeling that I'd just been told some interesting tales about that life.
Wendy
Aug 12, 2013 Wendy rated it really liked it
Seah Pronger tells it like he sees it, and that is what I like to hear. There was a lot of humor, some heartbreaks, and it was extremely entertaining, which is what I like to read. He sounds like a REAL person. I enjoy knowing someone's mind and/or heart as they write, and this books seems to do exactly that.
Kyle
Nov 08, 2014 Kyle rated it really liked it
The very last page where he lists what he'll miss and not miss about hockey gets right into your heart. Loved it from start to finish. A humble, funny and honest look at his career…the type of career that doesn't get a lot of airplay.
Marcel Fortin
Feb 08, 2014 Marcel Fortin rated it really liked it
A Northern Ontario boy lives his dream of playing professional hockey. And he gets to do it on sixteen teams over the course of an eleven year career. Great stories, good fun, and amazing insight into the world of professional hockey.
Gordie
Aug 18, 2013 Gordie rated it really liked it
Good read for a sports fan. Not an easy life as it sounds but like Sean I would have done the same thing to fulfill my dream. I love his respect for the game and people in the game. I think I would have loved him as a teammate.
Danny
Nov 27, 2012 Danny rated it really liked it
Sean has a great sense of humour about his bumpy road to the NHL and back down and back up and back down again. An often overlooked side of the game is illuminated here. A really fun read for any fan of sports.
First Row
Apr 01, 2014 First Row rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read! A glimpse into the day to day life of a pro hockey player. Pronger sheds light on the less glamorous side of being a professional hockey player. A definite must read for all hockey fans!
Shannon Davison
May 14, 2013 Shannon Davison rated it really liked it
Won my copy on Goodreads and thoroughly enjoyed it. Wonderful read about Sean's career in hockey. Passed this on to other family members to read and they all loved it too.
Christal Lee
Feb 13, 2013 Christal Lee rated it it was amazing
Sean Pronger tells it like it is! The ins and outs of life as a journeyman in the pro hockey leagues. Having lived in Germany myself, I got a kick out of his DEL "adventure" :)
Cam Iverson
Aug 21, 2013 Cam Iverson rated it really liked it
A great story of striving for a dream and reaching it - sort of. Full of self-deprecating humour and terrific stories from life in the hockey trenches.
Heidi
Jan 26, 2013 Heidi rated it really liked it
I received this book free from Goodreads. I really enjoyed learning about some of the back story of a lesser known hockey player.
Morisca Cristian
Nov 16, 2012 Morisca Cristian rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book and I found out a lot about the hockey.
I got this book through Goodreads First Reads.
David Yamada
Changed the way I looked at the NHL and hockey. Such a great book!
Mark
Apr 24, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it
If you're a hockey fan, this is an entertaining read.
Lyle Freimark
Dec 02, 2012 Lyle Freimark rated it liked it

Some good stories, self deprecating humour.
Tatiana Vyrvich
Sep 08, 2013 Tatiana Vyrvich rated it really liked it
A great read for all hockey fans.
Kevin
Dec 16, 2012 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book
  • The Best of Down Goes Brown: Greatest Hits and Brand New Classics-To-Be from Hockey's Most Hilarious Blog
  • Breakaway: From Behind the Iron Curtain to the NHL--The Untold Story of Hockey's Great Escapes
  • J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless, and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey
  • Don't Call Me Goon: Hockey's Greatest Enforcers, Gunslingers, and Bad Boys
  • Anchorboy
  • Tough Guy: My Life on the Edge
  • Open Net

“One thing I’ve found in life—and you may have noticed it, too—is that beer often can make things seem better. I’m not sure why this is, but it’s a phenomenon I’ve observed enough times that I can confidently declare it to be true.” 0 likes