Start by marking “Journeyman” as Want to Read:
Journeyman

Journeyman

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Every young hockey player dreams of one day playing in the NHL, of skating on a line with his hero and drinking champagne in the dressing room after winning the Stanley Cup. But kids should watch what they wish for.

They may make it to the pros, like Sean Pronger, only to end up playing for sixteen teams over eleven seasons. They may end up on a team with a guy like the Gre...more
Published November 6th 2012 by Viking Canada

To ask other readers questions about Journeyman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journeyman

Kristen
“Journeyman” is the story of the ups and down of Sean Pronger’s hockey career. He bounced around from minor league to NHL so many times I lost count. Despite all the ups and downs, Pronger never seemed to lose the sense of humor that made this book so entertaining. Well, maybe he lost his sense of humor in Germany, but in his situation you can’t blame him. There were times when he was more serious, such as the birth of his daughter. He also discussed the effect his many career moves had on his f...more
Charles L Harris Jr
This is what it's like to be a Journeyman in Pro Hockey

what do you say when all you wanna do.is play hockey eat sleep breathe hockey and you get drafted then no offer from you're draft team spend time in the ECHL then IHL and then AHL get finally called up then get traded demoted waived ride the bench for the Love of the game it was all there and if I was Sean Pronger I wouldn't change a thing except going overseas but was everything I thought and so much more thanks for the guided tour of how t...more
Ryan
This book provides a glimpse into the life of a professional fourth-liner, which makes it both unique and refreshing. Why should all-star hall-of-famers be the only ones with book deals?

I enjoyed reading about the many ups and downs (literally) that a fringe player like Pronger must endure to piece together a career on the ice. Truly interesting stuff.

However, I feel like there are a few details that have been left out. For example, Pronger mentions that, for players like him, a post-retirement...more
Brent Venton
I read this book while reading Ken Dryden's "The Game" at the same time and while Pronger is certainly not as cerebral an author or player as Dryden this book is infinitely more entertaining.

Forever labelled as "Chris Pronger's brother" (and the older one at that) the lesser known Prongs details the occasional highs and many many lows of his career as a marginal NHL-er and minor League-er. He throws in a good mix of on-ice and locker room anecdotes, references to longstanding hockey rumours and...more
Sabrina
I found the perspective of Sean Pronger interesting. With the lock out currently forcing NHLers to go overseas, I found Sean's views interesting. Sean has obviously been through many glorifying and heartbreaking moments in his career. The cup win with Chris to the cuts from different teams. I found that his chapter about going overseas heart wrenching. I felt his pain when reading the book. I know how difficult it can be to move but I could not imagine trying to play hockey on a team that no one...more
Anne
My husband and I are huge hockey fans, so you can imagine how thrilled we were, when we found out that we had won a copy of Sean Pronger's book from Goodreads. The book is a fascinating account of the life of a hockey player striving to play the sport he loves at its highest level, in the NHL. It's not easy getting to the NHL, and just when he thought he had finally had made it, he gets sent back to the farm team. Sean tells tales of the difficulties adjusting to the constant changes, being trad...more
Patty
As a "first reads" winner of this book and grandmother of a boy who loves hockey, I was eager to read about the life of a professional hockey player who wasn't one of the top players in the league. Too often they are the only ones we hear about. Sean Pronger does an excellent job of sharing his life as a "journeyman" hockey player with us. Using his personal stories and experiences he relates the ups and downs of hockey life when in this position. He gave me a much better understanding of how th...more
Geremy Mcfadden
Must read for all hockey fans. Sean Pronger writes a book that keeps you interested in everything he does from playing hockey to living in a farm house to going to Germany. His humor keeps things light hearted and he seems like a great guy. Did not regret reading this book one bit.
Marcel Fortin
A Northern Ontario boy lives his dream of playing professional hockey. And he gets to do it on sixteen teams over the course of an eleven year career. Great stories, good fun, and amazing insight into the world of professional hockey.
First Row
A fantastic read! A glimpse into the day to day life of a pro hockey player. Pronger sheds light on the less glamorous side of being a professional hockey player. A definite must read for all hockey fans!
Mark
If you're a hockey fan, this is an entertaining read.
Michelle
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads.

I was looking forward to reading this book until I actually started reading it and remembered I actually don't enjoy Hockey, even to read about it. It was interesting to read it from the point of a player, because when you watch Hockey on TV you don't think about the rookie's who are so eager to get on the ice and play. It was a good book, just not my kind of book.
Jamie Bradway
Journeyman is very informative - fun to compare the life of a hockey player going up and down the pro system to the similar books I've read about baseball. I was left with the feeling that Sean Pronger probably would have some interesting tales to tell about that life. I should have been left with the feeling that I'd just been told some interesting tales about that life.
Wendy
Seah Pronger tells it like he sees it, and that is what I like to hear. There was a lot of humor, some heartbreaks, and it was extremely entertaining, which is what I like to read. He sounds like a REAL person. I enjoy knowing someone's mind and/or heart as they write, and this books seems to do exactly that.
Gordie
Good read for a sports fan. Not an easy life as it sounds but like Sean I would have done the same thing to fulfill my dream. I love his respect for the game and people in the game. I think I would have loved him as a teammate.
Danny
Sean has a great sense of humour about his bumpy road to the NHL and back down and back up and back down again. An often overlooked side of the game is illuminated here. A really fun read for any fan of sports.
Shannon Davison
Won my copy on Goodreads and thoroughly enjoyed it. Wonderful read about Sean's career in hockey. Passed this on to other family members to read and they all loved it too.
Christal Lee
Sean Pronger tells it like it is! The ins and outs of life as a journeyman in the pro hockey leagues. Having lived in Germany myself, I got a kick out of his DEL "adventure" :)
Cam Iverson
A great story of striving for a dream and reaching it - sort of. Full of self-deprecating humour and terrific stories from life in the hockey trenches.
Heidi
I received this book free from Goodreads. I really enjoyed learning about some of the back story of a lesser known hockey player.
Morisca Cristian
I enjoyed reading this book and I found out a lot about the hockey.
I got this book through Goodreads First Reads.
Lyle Freimark

Some good stories, self deprecating humour.
Tatiana Vyrvich
A great read for all hockey fans.
Kevin
Outstanding book
Tyler  Hughes
Tyler Hughes is currently reading it
Oct 22, 2014
Jodyturner
Jodyturner marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Oct 07, 2014
Hans
Hans added it
Oct 06, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014