Start by marking “Wild Ride: A Graphic Guide Adventure” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Wild Ride: A Graphic G...

Liam O'Donnell

Wild Ride: A Graphic Guide Adventure

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The first installment in the new Graphic Guide Adventure Series.
Published January 1st 2007 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Wild Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Ride

Cheryl Rainfield
Graphic novels can be a fun way to read a story, and are a great way to encourage a child to read. When they come packed with useful and interesting tidbits of information, such as survival skills, they may be even more appealing to some readers. Wild Ride is a graphic novel for middle-grade readers with tons of survival information and a storyline that will have readers turning the pages.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

In Wild Ride one kid and two teens–Devin, Nadia, and Marcus–get on a small plane
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Wild Ride is another great example of the possibilities the graphic novel format has to offer! It is one part wilderness adventure story and another part instructional survival guide. Readers aged 8 to 12 will find the character dynamics both enjoyable and accessible; and educators will find curriculum bridges to the survival unit. Set in “the butt end of British Columbia,” city kids Devin, Nadia and Marcus find themselves stranded in the wilderness after their plane crashes enroute to meeting t ...more
Ru
i loved this book! i grabbed it spontaneously at the library while making a sweep through the kids' graphic novels (which i do periodically) because i liked the look of the art on the cover. only later did i realize that it was published by orca, and was thus canadian, and again so much the better for it!

a fun, short and totally believable wilderness adventure starring a trio of unlikely heroes. scattered throughout the book were passages that could have been straight out of any scout's handbook
Hayden
A nice quick read for the Hatchet fans. Three kids/teens are in a plane that crashes into the BC wilderness. The pilot dies, leaving them alone with a bureaucrat who may not have their best interests at heart. It's really sort of a survivalist instruction guide (what to pack in an emergency kit, how to use a signal mirror, what to do when the inevitable bear shows up), but the information is interesting and woven into the story reasonably well.
Robin
This is a title published by Orca Books and I wanted to include it in my presentation for the RI Educational Media Association later this month. It's a simple survival story but I like that it's interspersed with facts and the artwork is decent. I think kids will grab it and it's appropriate for school libraries.
Brandy
I'm now prepared to get stranded in the deep woods after a plane crash--and the preparation came from a comic book!

I love this series a lot. This may be the only thing from Orca I've ever had high praise for, but I think this series is really strong.
Emily
It is a fun graphic novel about three kids and their portly lawyer guardian who find themselves plain wrecked in Alaska. Helpful survival skills are taught throughout the story. Good for 7th grade or younger, outdoorsy, boy scout types.
Mrs_Ruigrok Ruigrok
My daughter really liked it because she likes adventures. It was really fun. It gives you a lot of information about camping (how to make a fire, how to make a carrying pack). It was a great book.
Melmcbride
Aug 14, 2008 Melmcbride rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reluctant readers and 8 to 14 year olds
My partner wrote this. It's my favourite of all his graphic novels for kids :)
Artslyz
Nice! Interesting and cute - educational without being didactic.
Henrik
It was really informative and the plot was pretty good.
Marilyn
May 05, 2008 Marilyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th - 8th grade
A quick, fun survival graphic.
Tim Canny
While I like the concept and thought the How-To aspect was integrated well the cookie cutter story of the big evil logging company is totally uninspired, predictable, and unoriginal. For a few panels in which the pilot states the case for logging (we all use products made from the raw materials provided by logging, it provides jobs, etc.) I thought it might be a little more even-handed but those hopes were quickly dashed and the plot fell into the predictable green/good business/bad propaganda m ...more
Ryan
The art was well done, but the plot seemed to be little more than a way to present various survival skills. If I wanted to learn how to build a lean to I would've gone to scouts when I was young. (Or at least paid attention when I did go.) And the criminal logging company willing to go to any lengths to chop down a few trees was WAY overdone. Don't read this book unless you're in love with trees and have no idea how to build a campfire.
Jason
3 1/2 stars, probably. This one was a lot of fun and for some reason the instruction bits seemed even less intrusive than in the skateboarding one. Maybe because I'm getting used to the style. Nevertheless, I've ordered both (plus the upcoming one, Soccer Sabotage) for our comics collection.
Molly
Good story. I didn't like, though, how they were supposed to be city kids, but then all spouted random survival facts that sounded like something they wouldn't know.
Snow
read for NoveList booklists
Beth Schencker
Beth Schencker marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Gracie
Gracie marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Caleb Lai
Caleb Lai is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2014
Caleb Lai
Caleb Lai marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Jose Atilano
Jose Atilano marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
I’m an award-winning author, educator and literacy advocate. I have created over 35 graphic novels and books specifically for reluctant readers, including Max Finder Mystery, Graphic Guide Adventures, Geeked Out Mysteries and two new series Tank & Fizz, coming Spring 2015 and Battle of the Blocks, out now.

Visit liamodonnell.com and say hi! That'd be awesome.
More about Liam O'Donnell...
Ramp Rats Max Finder Mystery Collected Casebook Volume 1 Media Meltdown Soccer Sabotage Food Fight: A Graphic Guide Adventure (Graphic Guides)