Start by marking “Heirs of Mars” as Want to Read:
Heirs of Mars

Heirs of Mars

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
The dream that was Mars has become a nightmare for the children born there.

Asher roams the vast canyons of Mars in search of dying souls ready for digital reincarnation. But his strange profession has its perils. Those who fear the newborn clones have hunted Asher and his friends for years, claiming the lives of countless innocents, including his daughter.

Claudia hosts t
Published by Copper Crow Books (first published October 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Heirs of Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heirs of Mars

Marian Allen
Dec 13, 2010 Marian Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling story, well-told. It wasn't perfect. Damn near, but not. There were a few editorial oopsies, but I don't hold those against it. There were a few scenes that bumped me out of the dream and some continuity glitches, but it lost that fifth star at the end. Lewis seemed to decide that the story was over so he should cut bait and go home, but I thought the end was too sudden and distant. I didn't feel it, as I did the rest of the book.

Still, it's a brilliant book. Lewis has two short sto
JL Stratton
Mar 02, 2011 JL Stratton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought Heirs of Mars was a great read. In fact, I posted reviews on amazon and Barnes & Noble for the book.

The human characters were believable, the Clone technology was well explained, and the Robots seemed nearly human in their actions. It all sounds very strange but Joseph Robert Lewis did an excellent job in tying all these elements together into one well-written, exciting story!

A clear five stars for quality and content. I will be recommending this book to all my friends.
Joel Falconer
Oct 20, 2015 Joel Falconer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few chapters in, a great read so far! Only $2.99 from Amazon by a talented independent author.
Grace Krispy
Nov 25, 2010 Grace Krispy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the middle of the 22nd century, and humans have been occupying space on Mars for well over a century. For as long as anyone can remember, the war between man and machine has been a integral thread to life on Mars and there is no end in sight. Human birth rates have fallen on Mars, and cloning becomes the most logical option to allow the collective intellect of humans live on. Meanwhile, the Cartesians, or "mechs," are programmed to follow "Mother's" orders to wipe out the human race, and cl ...more
Andrea
I read Heirs of Mars in e-book format. The story takes place on Mars more than one hundred years in the future. Mars has been colonized, but transport of people between Earth and Mars has ceased. The humans are dying; the equipment is getting old and rusting away. Supplies are running out. The only thing coming from Earth anymore are communication packets and video clips As people on Mars age and die, the shortage of skilled people becomes critical. More and more use is made of robots and other ...more
Gyula
Apr 05, 2011 Gyula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
The science-fiction is always about what if. Heirs of Mars has three what ifs.
- What if there was a colony on Mars, people trying to survive in the grim living conditions?
- What if clones would be possible to create? Not the grow-from-human-cell type, but the transfer-human-personality-to-artificial-body type.
- What if it would be possible to give human spirit to machines?
Actually there is a fourth point to this:
- What if these all come together in Mars?

Each of these ideas are worth to write a b
Amelia
May 30, 2012 Amelia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
I'm torn between giving this book 3 or 4 stars. I wish we could give half stars!

It was very hard for me to get into this book. I think I was at well past the 40% mark before I began to positively enjoy it. I normally discard a book before that point if I'm not enjoying it, but there were individual bits that I liked, and the writing was good, so I kept going with some faith that it would get better and "come together" eventually -- and I'm glad that I did keep reading, because I ended up enjoyi
J.C. Hart
Feb 13, 2011 J.C. Hart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this novel sitting on my computer for awhile now, had been saving it for this challenge and also for when I got my Kindle. For some reason, it didn't show up when I transfered it initially, but once it was there, I launched right into it and devoured it in a couple of days! Here is the blurb from Amazon:

The dream that was Mars has become a nightmare for the children born there.

Asher Radescu was the last human to come to Mars, but he didn't find the romance and adventure he craved. Ins
Chris Kelly
Nov 11, 2010 Chris Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heirs of Mars is a very interesting book. The characters are all engaging and very human (even the not technically human ones). There were no "heroes" and few "villains." Everyone was grey, with lots of darkness in them; I think grounding the book in such life-like characters helped bring alive the setting.

The setting is where the book excelled. Joseph Robert Lewis has clearly put a lot of thought into what life on Mars would truly be like - from depressed kids to falling birth rates, from being
Steve Wales
I happened upon 'Heirs of Mars' on Goodreads and I'm glad I did. Well-drawn characters, compelling storylines, new concepts and twists on such standard sci-fi ideas as colonisation and cloning. All this plus car chases on Mars? What's not to like!

Heirs of Mars is set on a planet that has lost its Martian dream: successes are increasingly few and far between, and the streets are certainly not paved with gold. To try to buoy up the failing Martian population, cloners secretly make 'ghost' clones -
Vicki Forcina
Mar 12, 2012 Vicki Forcina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel-it moved very quickly and I was constantly wanting to find out what happened next. The first few chapters were hard to sort out due to the mass array of characters and events, but by chapter four I really understood the flow of the novel. One of my favorite things about Heirs of Mars is that there are so many plot lines and characters but they work together seamlessly to build one great novel instead of six different stories. Each character had his or her own voic ...more
Maxine
Aug 21, 2011 Maxine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mars is populated by three diverse groups:

1. Humans

2. Clones who have been created to replace needed scientist, engineers, etc as they die. Despite the need for them, many humans fear and hate them.

3. AI or robots known as Carties. War between the humans and Carties has recently ended with a peace accord but many of the Carties continue to fight.

Life is hard on Mars. The planet offers little in the way of scenery unless you're into red rocks and dust, there is very little to do besides work; en
Amamur
Apr 17, 2011 Amamur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review as member giveaway eBook

This was a very good science fiction read.

Mars colony is struggling to survive with a poor birth rate and no new colonists from Earth. Asher is a cloner, using ghosting technology he can save the memories of dying colonists and transfer them into robotic bodies. This helps to preserve vital skills for the colony such as doctors and engineers. This technology is seen as a threat by an AI evolved on a satellite of Venus who sends AI robots to Mars to destroy this tec
Valentina
I received this book through the Librarything giveaway program a few weeks ago as an ebook. I read sci-fi every once in a while, but I was pleasantly surprised by this book.
Somehow, the writing manages to avoid the common pitfalls of its genre, mainly the made-up words that make it seem as if the reader were trailing through a foreign language book. It is not hard to get the gist of the storyline, and you a glossary of terms is not necessary, which, if you’ve read a lot of these types of novels
Simon Royle
Nov 07, 2010 Simon Royle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie
The story is told in an interesting way, through different POV of the characters. Rotating the POV through the Characters as they interact with each other in the harsh environment of Mars. And it works. The characters develop nicely, and without giving anything away, there're more than a few surprises.

The action moves swiftly and because it is described from the different POV gives an interesting perspective on how each of the three "types" of characters are discriminated against or believe tha
Dove Harbour
This was a good book for anyone who enjoys thought provoking science fiction. There was action, characterisation and a clever premise behind it all. Most of all I would say that it was an interesting exploration of different types of people and the workings of the mind. That is what I found most interesting since it is not an issue in our world; minds that work differently to our own, perhaps even being blended together with another mind. If the mind of a person can be changed are they still the ...more
Russell Brooks
I was given a copy of this novel by the author for review. It is set in the future on Mars and although this is science fiction, there are several elements of the story that people can relate to today. The main one being the ethics of cloning. There are the humans that believe that cloning is essential for the survival of life on Mars since there are too many professionals that are dying as a result of the ongoing war with robots—who, interestingly see the clones as a threat to their existence. ...more
Maria
Oct 20, 2011 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heirs of Mars is an interesting science fiction tale. I like authors who take an old idea and put a new spin on it, as I think Joseph Robert Lewis did with digital reincarnation and the colonization of Mars.

I was a little confused at the beginning, couldn't quite figure out what was going on. There were so many characters on so many different sides, it was hard to keep everyone straight. Plus, there were some pacing issues, it would speed up and slow down like a bad driver on a freeway.

All in a
Rhonda
Mar 29, 2011 Rhonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Books that you cant put down till you finsh at 2:00am.
I enjoyed the world of mars. All the different characters were well arounded. Thier was different debates about cloning,robots and humans all had rights. thier were bigots that thought they were better than anyone else in all groups. A lot of people,clones were heros trying to build a society that would last. I found myself on different sides as the book went. Asher was the main character he was a cloner and got beat up and hurt a few times.
Karenw
Mar 26, 2011 Karenw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heirs of Mars is a great book, a character-driven story of a colony on Mars in the future. The population is dwindling, so "cloners" take the memories of citizens who are terminal and place them into artificial humans. This is not necessarily a popular policy and definitely unpopular with rogue robots who are under the control of a satellite called "Mother".

I found this to be a well-written tale that is paced to keep a reader's interest all the way to the end. For fans of sci-fi that creates a
PopcornReads
A lot of authors have envisioned what it could be like when man eventually colonizes Mars. Some of those visions are utopian fantasies. Heirs of Mars is not one of those visions. Joseph Robert Lewis takes a hard, gritty look at how colonization might realistically look given Mars’ harsh environment, given how governments like to cut corners, and given how humans tend to react to both environment and unknowns. To read the rest of my review, go to http://popcornreads.com/?p=1286
Shirley
Apr 11, 2012 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book. Very detailed, crisp writing style. As you read through the book, you are literally transported to Mars. The details of the place, the difficult terrain and the complexity of life, kind of hits you hard and makes you wonder if this is our future. The book begins a little slow but gradually picks the pace and the reader gets caught in the action. For those who love sci-fi, this book brings together a lot of such elements that make it a wonderful read.
Francine
Sep 07, 2011 Francine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I have to be honest and say I didn't expect to enjoy this book. Anything space-related tends to put me to sleep and I have been getting sick of hearing about Mars. Yet, when I picked this book up, I instantly knew I was going to like it. The writing flows like a swollen river, elegant and fast-paced. The three different factions of the planet Mars are well thought out, the characters well written and believeable. Could this actually be our future? You never know!
Mark Fishpool
May 06, 2013 Mark Fishpool rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite a difficult one to get in to for the first few chapters as there were a lot of characters being introduced and it wasn't always apparent where they fit into the overall plot. After a while it settled down into an enjoyable read, and I found myself wanting the different story arcs to connect. I found the latter half a great read and entertaining. The ending seemed a bit rushed though and it felt like there were still some loose ends to tie up.
Micheline
Jun 01, 2012 Micheline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting sci-fi about life on Mars, where humans are battling rogue mechs (robots) following a war and subsequent peace accord. One concept I enjoyed was the technique of "ghosting" a dying person's brain to capture the essence and then place it in the braincase of a plastic/rubber composite shell that takes on the face of the dead person, and many of the memories, in a very human-lloking body.
J. Ewbank
This book by Joseph Robert Lewis is like none I have read before. Do not read much sci fi but thought it would be interesting. The plot can keep you hopping and interested. The characters are different because there are different kinds of beings on Mars.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Deborah Lujan
Posted 04/11/11: If you love true Sci Fi you need to read this book. I loved the diversity of the characters. The story line is awesome. Can't wait for the next book.[return] posted on bn.com
Chris
May 31, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast paced and fun read. I enjoyed the characters and the story. I liked the exploration of what makes someone "human" or an individual. I'd read other books by this author.
Zac Wood
This was sent to me as a free ebook on the condition that I wrote a review. I will post one in a few days... but the book was great. I definitely recommend it to any SciFi fan.
Willow Webster
Oct 27, 2012 Willow Webster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book!
  • The Burning Sky (Halcyon #1)
  • Whatever Gods May Be
  • Long Eyes and Other Stories
  • C.R.O.W. (The Union Series, #1)
  • Walker
  • Human Sister
  • A Shadow in the Flames (The New Aeneid Cycle, #1)
  • Space Junque (Apocalypto, #1)
  • The Man Who Ended the World
  • The Cestus Concern (Weir Codex, #1)
  • Iona Portal
  • Everywhere But No Place (Messages From The Unseen World, #1)
  • The Spider and the Fly (The Spiderverse Saga, #1)
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Eulogy's Secret (The Huntley Trilogy #1)
  • From Within
  • Bleedover
  • Below Mercury
Joseph Robert Lewis enjoys creating worlds in which history, mythology, and fantasy collide in unpredictable ways. He also likes writing about heroines that his daughters can respect and admire. Joe was born in Annapolis and went to the University of Maryland to study ancient novels, morality plays, and Viking poetry.

www.josephrobertlewis.com
More about Joseph Robert Lewis...