Start by marking “Bet Your Bottom Dollar (Bottom Dollar Girls #1)” as Want to Read:
Bet Your Bottom Dollar (Bottom Dollar Girls #1)

Bet Your Bottom Dollar (The Bottom Dollar Series #1)

Welcome to the Bottom Dollar Emporium of Cayboo Creek, South Carolina, where everything from coconut mallow cookies to Clabber Girl Baking Powder costs only a dollar, and coffee and gossip are free.

For Elizabeth, Mavis, and Attalee -- the Bottom Dollar Girls -- logging nine to five at the Bottom Dollar is not just work time, it's family time. So when news gets out that the
Audio
Published August 1st 2006 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bet Your Bottom Dollar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bet Your Bottom Dollar

Ronna
Nov 10, 2014 Ronna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I got this book free from Firstreads. This is my honest review.

What a cute book! I was definitely in the mood for something lighthearted and this book, full of southern charm and wit, was just perfect to float my boat. Sisterhood, a bit of romance, mixed with some mystery, and huge belly laughs, these ladies of Cayboo Creek, South Caroline grew on me like white on rice. Ups, beware, reading this book might just change your speech patterns.

Ladies from 20's to 80's meet and work in The Bottom Dol
Jane Stewart
Pleasant story about nice people in the South, but not recommended.

Based on other reviewers, I was hoping for romantic comedy, but got neither. I didn't laugh or chuckle. I wasn't surprised or delighted. The relationship that developed did not draw me in enough emotionally to be able to categorize this as a romance novel. Some of the plot points concerned family secrets, which were somewhat predictable. The characters were not interesting enough.

Story brief: Smart, nice and humble girl Elizabeth
Deedee
Conflict: p. 51 “This is about huge companies coming here with their corporate backing and their big bank accounts and knocking aside the little guys.”
Gentle small town humor.

Some chapter headings:
“If you don’t like my driving, stay off the sidewalk.”
“Don’t give up. Moses was once a basket case.”
“Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.”
“Look at life through the windshield, not the rearview mirror.”

Cathy Daniel
Mar 05, 2015 Cathy Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an unexpected delightful book! I've got to read the rest in the series . This book had me smiling and laughing out loud. There are serious moments and its not all fluff, but its such a feel good, over all book! The characters were so real and just precious. Another bonus is I'd be comfortable giving this book to my teenager to read! There's a little mystery and a little romance and a lot of family and friends. Truly a book with heart.
Laura Cushing
Jan 05, 2015 Laura Cushing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun sweet book about a group of ladies who work at a Bottom Dollar bargain store in a small southern town. Has a little romance and a little mystery, lots of friendship and laughs.

Going to read the other books in the series.
Larissa Reinhart
Really enjoyed this sassy, Southern series from Karin Gillespie. I feel that I know this small town and the women in it. A really sweet romance with a suspenseful twist!
Rachel Jackson
Nov 03, 2014 Rachel Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I LOVED this book! It's hilarious but not over-the-top, and the characters are so fun. (The sequels are great too!)
Richard Bales
Mar 17, 2015 Richard Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple little series, but so funny!
Linda Marie Marsh
Dec 11, 2014 Linda Marie Marsh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author has never claimed to have written the next great classic so i definitely do not understand why anyone would read this and not write a positive review. It's a fun read. It's a feel good, make you smile, wish you were there yourself type book. And yes, it takes place in the south.
The Bottom Dollar is just what it sounds like, a dollar store in a small homey town where everyone knows who you are. And as is happening all over the country right now, a big box store moves in and the future
Kathleen
Nov 21, 2014 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won, real-book
***I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway***

I was a little slow on the uptake with this book because it felt like the story of saving the Bottom Dollar just wasn't that interesting - but, it turned out that was really just a peripheral story line. The real story was about family secrets and lineage and was really interesting. I believe the book description is a bit misleading.

Add to the story line the charming characters and great dialogue and it made for a very enjoyable read. I enjoyed t
Betty
Apr 26, 2015 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Success

The first in this series and new author for me. I had little trouble getting into the story at first but characters started grow on me as they well developed especially Elizabeth. In Cayboo Creek, South Carolina a dollar is about to loose customers to supermarket. Elizabeth is the assistant manager she has plan to the the business. There are hints that there is mystery in Elizabeth's past might interfere with her love life. There is no sex or violence. I will read the next book A DOLLAR S
V
Jul 10, 2013 V rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Southerner- born and bred. I like sweet tea, fried chicken and front porches. I like reading books about The South- even quirky Southern towns on occasion. However, this book repulsed me! I couldn't even get halfway through it. The characters were insultingly simple and mind-numbingly boring. There were the typical Southern stereotypes, which I'm normally OK with, but this book "laid it on a little too thick"; it was overkill. For me, reading this book was like drinking a glass of lemonade ...more
Debbie Krenzer
Oct 19, 2014 Debbie Krenzer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I absolutely LOVED this book. The characters were so real and likable and it totally kept me entertained. I especially liked the quotes at the beginning of each chapter. I am definitely hooked on this series and will definitely be looking to read the others as they come out.

It's a southern setting with southern people who are laid back and very well written characters. The story was very entertaining and I read this in one sitting. I just could not put it down!!
Darlene
3.75
A humourous story of a southern small town.
Bonnie Lazaruk
Cute easy read
Pam
Oct 22, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart Warming!

I loved this book! Loveable quirky characters and a small town setting made this an enjoyable quick read. I can't wait to read the next book in this series.
Jennie
Nov 13, 2016 Jennie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light hearted fun read.
Patti
Jan 07, 2017 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I enjoy when a book doesn't set out to be anything but fun. Karin Gillespie has crafted sweet, engaging characters for her first book, and has captured the cadences and atmosphere of a small Southern town. She manages to work friendship, love and a genetic mystery into a tale of a corporate giant moving into Cayboo Creek, South Carolina and endangering the existence of the much loved Bottom Dollar and the sustenance of friends Mavis, Elizabeth and Attalee. I enjoyed visiting, and it was a fast a ...more
Linda
Jun 14, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Goodreads for selecting me to receive a copy of this book. I totally loved it. It was a laugh-out-loud story and reminded me of Mary Kay Andrews' books. The character of Attalee reminds me of Jill Shalvis' character Lucille in her Lucky Harbor series.

When a big-dollar Super Saver store has decided to build in Cayboo Creek, South Carolina, the employees of the Bottom Dollar Emporium are scared the new store will put them out of business. Owner Mavis is afraid she will have to move to So
Nikki
Recently I found myself in our little local shopping mall, with an hour or more before my ride home would arrive and nothing to read (since the bookstore there closed last fall.) Fortunately there was still Big Lots, which I recalled usually has some books on a shelf near the greeting cards. Among all the cookbooks and self-help there were a very few novels, and I was fortunate to find this one, which whiled away the time quite nicely. It's set in a small town in South Carolina near the Georgia ...more
Andrea Stoeckel
Feb 13, 2015 Andrea Stoeckel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
( note: this is NOT the cover on my e-book)

What a nice book( hey, it's Henery Press) but the story, albeit a bit predictable if you watch Soap Operas, can be a bit hard to follow.

Elizabeth is a late 20-something whose hometown is very predictable.We open with the ending of an engagement, her job is in jeopardy, she figures she'll end up being a crazy cat lady workin' at the Dollar Store.

And then, it not only rains it pours. A "liftoff box store" is moving into Cayaboo Creek, a new beau pops up,
CMG (Mac)
Entertaining. Cute. Sweet. Likeable main character. Quirky supporting cast.

I "read" in audio and this narrator pronounces Augusta wrong. This time Augusta was featured.

Synopsis: Elizabeth started working at the Bottom Dollar store 10 years ago at age 16 and is great friends with the owner and her elderly co-worker. She was content with life as she was always told her type of people didn't aspire to much more. Her fiancé mysteriously breaks off their engagement and the Bottom Dollar is threatene
Debbie
Jul 06, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bet Your Bottom Dollar is a fun and easy read. It is a wonderfully warm southern novel set in Cayboo Creek, a small town in Aiken County, SC just outside of Augusta, GA. With characters with names like Mavis, Attalee, Boomer, Taffy, and a dog named Maybelline, you know you are in for some old fashioned southern humor. It is filled with lots of southern phrases and hyperbole that made me laugh and smile. Along with all the humor is the warmth and connectedness that make a small community so desir ...more
Just - The romance reader
I'm ready to take a trip to Cayboo Creek now, if only it really existed! And, I wish the Bottom Dollar was a store that really did exist! The characters are a hoot and it sounds like such a great place to shop, especially after the renovations.

This was just such a fun book, but at the same time, the characters struggled with some issues that each of us can really relate to. The unexpected loss of MeeMaw was heartbreaking. I suffered right along with Elizabeth, and I loved right along with her w
Judy
Jul 26, 2010 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect beach book or a book to read while lying in the hammock in the back yard on a summer afternoon. The main character, Elizabeth Polk, works in the Bottom Dollar Emporium, a store in the small town of Cayboo Creek, South Carolina, where you can buy anything from a toilet brush to candy and holiday decorations. Cayboo Creek is an idealized small town located just outside Augusta, Georgia and true to form, a big box store discovers it and wants to completely change the economic landscape by ...more
Mary Ann
Dec 04, 2016 Mary Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light read, fun book. I loved the quotes at the beginning of each chapter. Great writing, good descriptions. Silly book otherwise, but a nice diversion from serious ones.
Jessica
Mar 23, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very funny warm read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and even opted to finish it rather than walk the dogs. I know there are more in the series so rather look forwards to the quirky Georgia characters.

The quotes were great at the beginning of each chapter:

1. Why is there always so much month left at the end of the money?
2. Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.
3. Look at life through the windshield, not the rearview mirror.

**No wonder I liked it, it is the same author as The Sweet P
Elaine
Nothing deep here. Three woman make their livelihood working at Mavis' dollar store when a chain dollar store threatens to open up locally. They need to come up with a plan to keep their customers, believing that some will remain loyal.

I have too many books to continue reading this one. I find it utterly without interest. I put it down for about a week and picked it up again today for the first time. Got to page 90 - Sorry can't do it. Can't read it.
Victoria
I believe the reviews of this novel said it would appeal to fans of Fannie Flagg. As I read it, I felt that it was far from a Fannie Flagg or Lewis Grizzard for southern humor although the one-liners and country descriptions tried hard. But the further I got into the book, which is slight but fun, the more I genuinely liked the characters populating the "Crick." I expect to read more in the series when I need a pick-me-up.
Chris Unwin
Mar 22, 2016 Chris Unwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Book

I throughly enjoyed this book. The headings at the beginning of each chapter made me chuckle if not laugh out loud. This book is set in a small town with lots of small town characters that are interesting and fun to get to know. There are a lot of laugh out loud moments and times when you think "Yup, I can see my grandmother or aunt saying or doing that." Enjoyable, light read. I look forward to reading the entire series.
Goodreads Librari...: Consolidate 3 different posting of same novel 2 17 Sep 20, 2014 02:39PM
  • Diner Impossible  (Rose Strickland Mystery, #3)
  • Bedside Manners (The Breakup Doctor, #2)
  • Hijack in Abstract (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #3)
  • Double Strike (Davis Way Crime Caper, #3)
  • Swan Dive (An Elliott Lisbon Mystery #3)
  • From Scratch (Blue Plate, #1)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • With Vics You Get Eggroll (Mad for Mod Mystery, #3)
  • Dreaming in Technicolor (Phoebe Grant, #2)
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide
  • Lowcountry Bombshell (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #2)
  • Christmas Cake
National Bestselling novelist and a Midwestern girl who, after forty years in Georgia, is still trying to get the hang of being Southern.

Keep in touch with me at

More about Karin Gillespie...

The Bottom Dollar Series (3 books)
  • A Dollar Short: The Bottom Dollar Girls Go Hollywood (Bottom Dollar Girls, #2)
  • Dollar Daze: The Bottom Dollar Girls in Love (Bottom Dollar Girls #3)

“Bacteria is the only culture some people have.” 9 likes