Start by marking “A Dollar Short: The Bottom Dollar Girls Go Hollywood (Bottom Dollar Girls #2)” as Want to Read:
A Dollar Short: The Bottom Dollar Girls Go Hollywood (Bottom Dollar Girls #2)

A Dollar Short: The Bottom Dollar Girls Go Hollywood (The Bottom Dollar Series #2)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  325 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Living from paycheck to paycheck is one way of living on the edge.

When a wronged wife puts her hometown on the Hollywood star map, will she get a second chance at good fortune? A Dollar Short is a hilarious page-turner worth every last cent.
Published June 2nd 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Dollar Short, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dollar Short

Andrea Stoeckel
Feb 14, 2015 Andrea Stoeckel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book better than its predecessor. Although disappointed with the fact that Liz is more a support than the heroine, the Grace sisters are a hoot!

Chiffon is at the end of her rope. Stuck home after winning a trip to meet her favorite actress to care for her sick youngest, her two timing husband falls for the actress and refuses to come home

Chenille gets fired from her teaching job, and she and neurotic dog Walter move into Chiffon's to help out after an accident that breaks Chiffon's
Ronna
Nov 19, 2014 Ronna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
The ladies of Cayboo Creek, South Carolina are always there to support each other, often gathering in the Bottom Dollar Emporium to discuss life and everything happening in their small community. In book two, sisters, Chiffon and Chenille, are the center of interest. Never very close as children, and with a mom that was trying to raise beauty queens, they now find themselves thrown together by life's problems.

Chiffon's husband has gone to Hollywood on a prize that she actually won, but a sick ba
Jessica
Mar 28, 2010 Jessica rated it it was ok
This is the second book in the series with the main character being Chiffon instead of Elizabeth (in the first book).

At first I was really upset with Chiffon for taking back her no account two timing husband. How stupid! If she hadn't finally come to her senses, I'd have quit reading.

It was nice the way the two sisters came to know each other and finally they tell their bossy cruel mom exactly how it is. Why would she name one daughter Chiffon and the other Chenille?
Laura Cushing
I enjoyed the first book in this series, so I requested this one from the library. I'm glad I didn't pay for it. It 's not that the book is bad - it has the same southern charm and loveable characters that the first did. The problem comes with the names of the main characters, sisters named Chiffon and Chenille. There's a cardinal rule of writing that says never give two characters in your book similar names, because it is hard for the reader to keep track of and it really breaks them out of the ...more
Emily
Apr 15, 2010 Emily rated it liked it
This series of books is just fun. These are all quick reads involving a small town in South Carolina but they talk about Georgia a lot too. All the women are hilarious but this isn't a very thought provoking book or anything. :-) More like golden girls meets trailer trash, I love all of them. LOL!
Marlis
Mar 07, 2013 Marlis rated it liked it
A light funny read. Sometimes a bit silly.
Diane
Jun 01, 2014 Diane rated it liked it
Another easy read. Didn't love the premise as much this time but it was still entertaining.
Cheri Wells
Jun 03, 2015 Cheri Wells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The girls are back with a few new faces.
Chris Unwin
Apr 19, 2016 Chris Unwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this series of books and getting to know the characters and watch as they developed from book to book. I loved the sayings at the beginning of each chapter. Lots of laughs through out these books.
Melissa
Feb 07, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't read the first one, so was unfamiliar with all the characters when the book started. It was pretty silly. It was like a soap opera set in the South, where no one was even close to having a lot of money. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book, but it was full of some pretty funny Southern analogies (think "don't you piss on my leg and tell me it's raining" type slang). Easy to read, but not really worth the time...
Dana Myers
Feb 20, 2016 Dana Myers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, light read!
Marilyn
Sep 11, 2011 Marilyn rated it liked it
This has been a fun series. I have only read the first two, but have enjoyed them immensely. I will definitely follow up with this series. I enjoy books where you meet all the main characters in the first book and then the following stories star a different one but keeps all the characters in the loop.
Super Sue
Nov 14, 2014 Super Sue rated it it was amazing
The Bottom Dollar Girls is such a light hearted series to read. It makes me chuckle to myself when reading.
Kitty Tomlinson
Jan 02, 2009 Kitty Tomlinson rated it really liked it
Chiffon and Chenille, sisters, finally come into their own with the help of their friends, the Bottom Dollar Girls, when Chiffon's husband, Lonnie, has an affair with a Hollywood movie star. Fun read.
Book Concierge
Waitress Chiffon, her spinster sister Chenille, and philandering husband Lonnie are at the center of this econd installment. Fast, fun read. I recognize characters from other books, but that's okay with me.
Mar 15, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
Something about the characters in these books draw me in. Nothing leaned, nothing new, but I can escape, for a little while, to that much-idolized small southern town.
HENERY PRESS
“As tart and delectable as lemon meringue pie...a pure delight.” – Jennifer Weiner, Author of Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, and Little Earthquakes
Carolyn S
Mar 09, 2010 Carolyn S rated it liked it
A chickie book, where the girl rules. Just light reading with a chuckle or two.
Amber Jones
The girls of Kayboo Creeek have grown on me. Some of their shenanigans crack me up.
Cindy
Jul 13, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it
The characters in these "Bottom Dollar Girls" books keep me coming back. Onto book #3...
Jean
Jul 07, 2012 Jean rated it liked it
Fun read of about a small town and the residence in South Carolina.
Leslie
Apr 07, 2013 Leslie rated it it was ok
Very light read, enjoyed it. Would recommend as a beach read only!
Carolyn
Jan 28, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Another fun read by Karin Gillespie!
Suzi
Dec 21, 2010 Suzi rated it liked it
Very cute story with fun characters.
Nancy Kennedy
Jan 27, 2012 Nancy Kennedy rated it really liked it
This is laugh out loud funny!
Oct 14, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book was just really fun to read. It was fun, witty, and a good laugh. Guess what I learned from reading this book is to never let your husband go to Hollywood without you. LOL
Kathi
Kathi rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
MelissaO
MelissaO rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Orly Konig
Orly Konig marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
  • Bedside Manners (The Breakup Doctor, #2)
  • Diner Impossible  (Rose Strickland Mystery, #3)
  • Swan Dive (An Elliott Lisbon Mystery #3)
  • With Vics You Get Eggroll (Mad for Mod Mystery, #3)
  • Double Strike (Davis Way Crime Caper, #3)
  • Death in Perspective (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #4)
  • From Scratch (Blue Plate, #1)
  • MacDeath (An Ivy Meadows Mystery, #1)
  • Village Centenary (Fairacre, #15)
  • Lowcountry Bordello (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #4)
  • Designed to Death (Faith Hunter Scrap This Mystery, #2)
  • Finding Sky (Nicki Valentine Mystery, #1)
  • Changing Habits: A Short Story (Giulia Driscoll, #0.5)
  • Miracle on I-40
National Bestselling novelist and a Midwestern girl who, after forty years in Georgia, is still trying to get the hang of being Southern.

Keep in touch with me at

More about Karin Gillespie...

The Bottom Dollar Series (3 books)
  • Bet Your Bottom Dollar (Bottom Dollar Girls #1)
  • Dollar Daze: The Bottom Dollar Girls in Love (Bottom Dollar Girls #3)

“Consciousness is that annoying time between naps.” 6 likes