Start by marking “Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)

Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles #2)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  67 reviews
The second book in Karina Cooper's stunning steampunk series featuring fearless heroine Cherry St. Croix, in which she is faced with two men after her heart—and one killer out for her blood.

In the gleaming heights of Victorian London, a world of deception awaits an unconventional Society lady whose taste for adventure makes her a most formidable adversary . . .

Though Socie
Published December 26th 2012 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Gilded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gilded

Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
Steampunk/Romance
87th out of 269 books — 772 voters
The Greyfriar by Clay GriffithThe Alloy of Law by Brandon SandersonThe Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Rift Walker by Clay GriffithThe Kingmakers by Clay Griffith
Chris McGrath Book Covers
59th out of 121 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: December 26, 2102
Publisher: HarperCollins
Imprint: Avon
Author’s Website: http://karinacooper.com/
My Source for This Book: Edelweiss
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 2, St. Croix Chronicles
Series Best Read In Order: Yes
Steam Level: Chaste

There is a twist in this story that changes everything. I want so badly to discuss it, but I refuse to ruin the surprise for anyone, and as such, I must leave you with t
Amanda The Book Slayer
Recommendation : If you enjoy Steampunk with a sassy heroine who fights crime than give this one a try.

Gilded is the second book in the St. Croix Chronicles by Karina Cooper. Steampunk is this series’ beautiful home and that in and of itself makes me happy. I adore Steampunk and hot men and this series has both! Before I expound upon this amazing book I must emphasize that if you have not read Tarnished, you must. I will say it didn’t rate as well as this book, but you need it to set the stage.
Beth
Cherry St. Croix is a lady of Society that is living a dual life with that of a Collector. She has 2 men that make her pulse increase and a serial killer toying with her. Her life is unconventional so she doesn’t understand the interest of the Earl. Never wanting to lose her freedom, Cherry must continue to make drastic choices to insure her future.

Gilded is highly complex and I’ve decided not to give any more story details in fear that I may give away something that you should experience for y
Fathima
"Never fear , Miss Black . I take care of all my pets . "

Damn this book robbed me of all my emotions ! I wasn't sure if I was happy or angry or happily angry .. or something else entirely !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And so the misadventures of Miss Cherry St.Croix continues ...

One Month Later .. And Cherry is still trying to find the mad scientist who almost killed her trying to bring a dead woman back to life .. ( I'm being absolutely vague here .. The identity of the scientist and the woma
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Woman on a mission to discover more about her father and circumvent the rules and regulations of her place in society lives two lives. But will she charm you?

Opening Sentence: When I was ten years of age, Monsieur Marceaux’s Traveling Circus retained a new magician.

The Review:

Normally I don’t look at reviews prior to reading a book but this cover art had me very concerned. I get that the publisher was trying to visually display to the book
Kara-karina
4.5/5
The ending in this book is such a shocker, ladies and gents! I wanted to scream with frustration!!! Miss Cooper doesn't end her books with a cliffhanger per se, but she definitely knows how to end a book with a bang.

There is more darkness and desperation in Cherry this time. She feels trapped. By her debt to Karakash Veil, by the societal obligations and by her worsening addiction to opium. It's hard and painful to read about her horrible descent into abyss, but it's necessary too.

Sometim
Lynn Williams

Okay, so I finished the second of the St Croix Chronicles a few days ago but was literally stunned into silence and needed a few days to absorb events. This book is quite the riot of emotions ending on a final note of utter shock. I've tried to stay away from reviews for this series to avoid spoilers and it worked because the ending of this took me totally by surprise, and yet at the same time that it blew me off my feet with it's unexpected quality it als
LiteraryLover
This wasn't necessarily bad, but despite finding the first book in the series decent I couldn't really find the interest in reading further.
Liz
Rounding up because while Gilded still has some of the issues I complained about in Tarnished THE ENDING (!!) just about made me scream!! Our dear Miss St. Croix is at quite a crossroads as this story ends and I literally have no idea what direction she will go and how it will all shake out. Where is book 3?! I don't even see mention of it and that makes me sad!
Tahyun
Screw this book. I'm so mad, I can't even write anything intelligent about it. I'm going to create my own fantasy ending, wherein the last 30 pages don't happen, and just before those, the Too Stupid To Live "heroine" dies a horrible gruesome death. Which would have made this book a Happily Ever After, at least for me.
Crazynotinlove
Dec 07, 2013 Crazynotinlove rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who are really interested in elaborate outfits and corsets
Runningrabbit
I was ultimately disappointed with this novel. It followed on with the usual flavor of the story but ended up running with the pack with an overly used marriage scenario that left me with the bad taste in my mouth of feeling sadly misled, used and abused.

How could a seemingly creative author become so ordinary? I can already see how the rest is going to pan out. How's this sound on my guesstimate list:
a. failed to consummate
b. eventual restoration of funds
c. Piers arrives back into the story
d. u
Tara
Not a bad story, steam punk historic London. Not a story for people who require happy endings. Decidedly flawed heroine is a bounty hunter in secret to fuel her addiction to opiates and a High Society Lady by day. Story revolves around her being maneuvered into marriage, something which she wants to avoid because she doesn't want to enslave her rights and freedom to any man. Probably would have read better if I'd read the first book. Not good enough to waste shelf space on, but definitely going ...more
Dallass
This book looked interesting, and after reading it last night all I can say is thank God I only paid a dollar for it. I really didn't like this book. I found the characters unappealing, and even our main character was nothing more than a drug addict. She's too busy hunting criminals and thumbing her nose at others - and then seems upset when it comes back to bite her in the butt! The ending was not at all what I would have predicted and sealed it's fate.

Won't be getting any further books in this
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Original review at Layers of Thought.

A darkly intriguing mystery/romance and the second book in an action packed steampunk series. Including a brilliant and strong willed female lead that goes against the Victorian-like social norms of the setting, and perhaps a glimpse of a “Jack the Ripper–ish” sort of villain.

*(SPOILER ALERT) Please note if you have not read the first in this series this review does contain spoilers. Read my review for Tarnished (book #1) and pick it up first. I believe that
Coquille Fleur
As much as Cherry St. Croix drove me nuts with her decisions in this book, I still just can't get enough of her story. I love the London world of Cooper's steampunk adventure series, and Gilded had plenty of awesome steampunk elements. Alchemy, a mysterious circus/pleasure garden, an amazing masquerade ball, Jack the Ripper-style murders and an offer of marriage from an earl are just a few of the awesome facets to Gilded, the second on the St. Croix Chronicles. I was very surprised by how this b ...more
Paranormal Haven

Cherry St. Croix is a society lady by day, but at night she is a collector. A collector is something like a bounty hunter who flies under the radar, or in this case below the drift. There is a kind of fog that surrounds most of London. Most of society lives above it for the most part. Cherry is invited to a luncheon and given a mystery that leads her to a dead college professor. As she is piecing together the mystery and Earl decides to court her.

Gilded is the second book of Karina Coop
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review Courtesy of : All Things Urban Fantasy

GILDED is set in a wonderfully detailed world filled with an assortment of steampunk gadgets and high society politics. There are happily no lengthy recaps from TARNISHED, which allowed for the action packed GILDED to take off from page one. Cherry has so much on her hands in this book including trying to find the mysterious Ripper and the traces of an alchemical formula, along with working on a murder mystery for her patroness, Lady Rutledge.

Murder,
Beth Dawkins

Gilded is the second book of Karina Cooper’s The
Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres*
4.5 stars!

Gilded is the second in Karina Cooper's St. Croix Chronicles, which follows a feisty and intelligent heroine through an alternate Victorian London. Cherry's life should be simple - attend fancy soirees, collect her inheritance when she turns twenty-one in less than a year, and marry a rich and handsome man that will take care of her. But instead Cherry lives a double life as a collector, battles an opium addiction, and can't stay away from hunting murderers.

All of my issues with the fi
Anna

Cherry St. Croix is part Francesca Cahill (from the Brenda Joyce books) and part Sherlock Holmes. Her methods are unorthodox, her addiction is secretive, and her nights are spent leading a double life that is most unbecoming to those in Victorian society, should they ever find out. Cherry is also curious, loyal, intelligent, and by the end of Gilded, vengeful and...empty.

What appealed to me with Tarnished (book 1) was that Cherry was different from all the women in m
Visionary
Review can be found here couresty of Romance Junkies

Cherry St. Croix leads a double life. During the day, she is the black sheep of the cruel Society she was born into and the bane to LAMB (Ladies of Admirable Mores) - a group of haughty noblewoman who write a column in the society papers of the expect behavior of a proper lady of Society. The nights, she sheds propriety, blackens her hair, and dons trousers to become the only female Collector in the drift.

Almost a month has passed since Cherry
Frishawn Rasheed
This second installment of the St. Croix Chronicles finds our dear Cherry a woman on the verge. She sits on the threshold of her inheritance, new found love and social standing, and as always...on the trail of a murder.
Life has never been what one would hazard to call easy for young Cherry St.Croix; what with her father being a mad scientist who tried to kill her in order to resurrect her dead mother, her ever present hunger for opium, and her unseemly associations with the Karakash Veil and a c
Jax
Once again I'm torn on my rating.

's for World Building. Its an interesting and intriguing Sci-Fi twist to a fantasy-London.
's for the premise and execution of the story. I was definitely deeply involved in the mystery.
It's well written, and I had no trouble visualizing. And despite my irritation at certain characters and decisions, it still managed to garner an emotional response from me, which I always count as a good thing. And although marketed as a romance, I found that the mystery murder
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
Gilded, the second installment in the St. Croix Chronicles, was a more emotional story than the debut with strong character development and a heartbreaking ending that left me speechless.

Cherry finds herself involved in a search for a murderer, trying to discover the identity of the collector who has taken a disturbing interest in her, and attempting to uncover her mad father's secrets.

We learned in the series' debut that Cherry is a bold and spirited protagonist who greatly values her independe
Michelle Leah Olson
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION’s Pack Alpha – Michelle L. Olson:

I really enjoyed the first installment of Karina’s ST CROIX CHRONICLES, "Tarnished", but the sequel blew me away. My exact, 'first thought' words upon completion were: "Hells bells & damn Karina... You butter us up for a book & a 1/2 and then drop THAT on us!? Just wow. The series is getting better & darker & I want the next one now!"

Once again we're immersed in a split world, that of London above and below, where
Christal
See this review and others like it at BadassBookReviews.com!

Gilded was another fast-paced and thoroughly enjoyable outing in the St. Croix Chronicles, but it is the ending that makes this book such a success. I was completely shocked by what happened and a little sad. But, when I sat down and really thought about it, I was in awe of Ms. Cooper’s skill in manipulating her characters into horrible situations but it still feeling organic to the story. She definitely knows how to end a book with a b
Kris Macnaughton
So the overarching mystery was still left unresolved, but the new mystery and Cherry's associations with Lady Rutledge were REALLY fun to read about. Anyone who enjoyed the flamboyant figure of Lady Rutledge in Tarnished will enjoy Gilded. I am not certain if it was an intentional repetitive use of the word itself, or if I was just sensitive to it due to the title of the book, but Ms. Cooper seemed to use the word "gilded" quite frequently throughout the prose.

Cherry is still likable and strong
Kurt Cagle
I admit it, I've become a sucker for Steampunk. This was a library book, not one I was honestly expecting to like all that much, but it was surprisingly good, good enough that I am now actively seeking out the first in the series and will likely pick up Gilded for my collection.

This book had enough Steampunk elements that, even with its occasional foray into Romance, there were some interesting bits of development. The use of certain historical characters (such as Lord Compton, an eminent physic
  • The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Touch of Steel (Clockwork Agents, #2)
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • Night Resurrected (Envy Chronicles, #6)
  • Her Ladyship's Curse (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #1)
  • A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious (Steam Guardians, #1)
  • Long Live the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #3)
  • Skies of Fire (The Ether Chronicles, #1)
  • Gilded Hearts (The Shadow Guild, #1)
  • Sky Pirates (The Chronicles of Light and Shadow, #3)
  • The Slayer (The Legend Chronicles, #2)
  • A Study in Darkness (The Baskerville Affair, #2)
After writing happily ever afters for all of her friends in school, Karina Cooper eventually grew up (sort of), went to work in the real world (kind of), where she decided that making stuff up was way more fun (true!). She is the author of dark and sexy paranormal romance, steampunk urban fantasy, and writes across multiple genres with mad glee.

One part glamour, one part dork and all imagination,
More about Karina Cooper...

The St. Croix Chronicles (7 books)
  • The Mysterious Case of Mr. Strangeway (The St. Croix Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • Corroded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #3)
  • Tempered (The St. Croix Chronicles, #4)
  • Engraved (The St. Croix Chronicles, #5)
  • Transmuted (The St. Croix Chronicles, #6)
Blood of the Wicked (Dark Mission, #1) Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1) Lure of the Wicked (Dark Mission, #2) All Things Wicked (Dark Mission #3) Corroded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #3)