Sideways Arithmetic From Wayside School

Sideways Arithmetic From Wayside School (Wayside School)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  2,762 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Why does elf + elf = fool? How many meals will Miss Mush, the lunch teacher, have to cook for the food to taste as bad as it smells? This book is packed full of brain teasers and maths puzzles and all the wacky pupils from Wayside School to help you find the logical solutions to all the problems.
Published May 1st 2004 by Bloomsbury U.S.A. Children's Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Sideways Arithmetic From Wayside School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sideways Arithmetic From Wayside School

Sam
Want to help a young kid get on the right track with higher-level math? After they've fallen for the original Sideways Stories from Wayside School, they should give this book a shot. In short, the "reader" finds himself in Wayside School's bizarre math class, where equations all go like this:

elf
+ elf
fool

Words + words = words... the thing is, your job is to figure out what the numbers are. For starters, the "f" in the answer has to equal 1, because two single-digit numbers can't add up to more...more
Cheryl in CC NV
I learned I'm *not* "as smart as a 5th grader!" I do well on the game show with its facts, but these puzzles are hard! Good brainteasers for clever kids and patient adults who can think 'laterally' as well as logically. I especially liked how the answer section is organized, first with a section of further clues, then with more text to encourage the reader to really really try, and finally the answers.
Annie
What? I had no idea that this book had actual PUZZLES in it! As a kid I thought it was some sort of dada-ist experiment with absurdity and language. I wasn't that amused either. But, as a superfan of the Wayside School series, I still gave it three stars.
Trever
I'm not sure this should be classified as arithmetic. Most of the problems were just pure substitution and guess and check. Very difficult for students who struggle and too mind numbing for any enrichment.
Sofi
Oh my god! I loved this book! I used to spend hours doing the puzzles. I swear one of Mr. Buhler's extra credits came staight out of this book.
Rachel Hancock
"Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School" is part of Louis Sachar's famous and ever-popular series, "Sideways Stories from Wayside School." In this book, Louis Sachar takes readers inside a bizarre math class at Wayside School. The book includes wacky arithmetics and absurd problems for students to try to work out.

As much as I enjoy Louis Sachar's writing, I did not love this book. I feel like it would be beneficial for older readers (perhaps 3rd and 4th grade), however, I think it would likely...more
Karen
Tired of doing Sudoku or cross words, but you would still like to challenge your brain a little bit. Try reading Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School by Louis Sachar. I had so much fun sitting down trying to figure out these word, no math, no word... oh, well... these problems. The zany stories that go with the problems are very much straight out out Wayside school from Louis Sachar's Wayside School series. The stories in this book are fun to read, and they lead into problems that are fun to...more
Elisabeth
Dec 31, 2013 Elisabeth added it
Shelves: books-i-own

Why does elf + elf = fool?How many meals will Miss Mush, the lunch teacher, have to cook for the food to taste as bad as it smells?These Sideways Arithmetic problems may look puzzling at first, but you can use real maths to solve them, and the answers are right there in the book. There are lots of clues and hints; plus all the answers are in the back of the book. Best of all, all the kids you read about in the other books about Wayside School are here to help you!Try solving this, and more than

Vida
Meant for young readers, this book had me confused and unable to follow. There are 30 chapters which are 30 vignettes about students and teachers in the Wayside school. I found it a bit mean spirited. Sorry Louis Sachar - I hate when I get a bad review!
Jenny D
Jun 23, 2011 Jenny D added it
Shelves: ece-6391-6392
Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School goes with Louis Sachar’s Sideways Stories from Wayside School, using a similar story type and the same characters. This book can be used as an upward extension for students who have a good understanding of algebra. The later chapters are more appropriate for middle school math, but students in grades 4-5 can try to solve the arithmetic in the early chapters. Because the arithmetic uses “sideways” logic, students who rely on the algorithms to solve math wil...more
Resti  Triyuliandha
wheuw..
Learning Arithmetic from Wayside School was waaaaay more difficult than arithmetic when I was at school years before.
Thank God I didn't study in Wayside School.
It still fun though. And confusing at the same time. lol
Ekata Niraula
What is this?? my mind was spinning while trying to do some airthmetic
Delicious Strawberry
Louis Sachar has written some pretty great children's books and I read many of them back in elementary school. This was one of them, and is part of the weird Wayside School series, where nothing makes sense if you try to understand it. However, if you don't try, and just sit back and enjoy this book for its weird storytelling, it become a fun experience. In this installment, you're introduced to some pretty weird math, like 'elf + elf = fool'. Wait, what? Well, read this book and find out!
Kat
I found this book in a box from when I was younger. I LOVE this book. It is a bunch of fun math problems such as "ewe + dell = woods", where you try to figure out the numbers that are represented by each letter, as well as some good word problems. It makes it especially fun because he uses the characters from his "Wayside School" series, so for any out there that are fans of the Wayside School and fun logic problems, you can't beat this.
Abbey
Its mainly about sue not understanding + and - words. So for example apples + oranges and sue said fruit but Im not going to tell you the answer because you need to read the story to figure it out! In the mean time they have all these questions they need to answer. The class wants to now the answers but the teacher forgot all the answers. At the end of the story the teacher finds the answers and tells the class.
Sara Trivedi
Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School was another recommendation from my 2nd-grader. We both really enjoy working out puzzles, both word and math, so this is exactly the type of book to keep us engrossed for much longer than we needed to be. There are still many, many problems we have yet to solve, but we enjoyed Sachar's humor throughout the book. I'm looking forward to reading more from this series.
Ashley
"Sideways Arithmetic From Wayside School" by Louis Sachar is part of a series. It talks about the things going to in Wayside School. The teacher, Mrs. Jewls, is really weird and expects students to add and subtract words. Usually, people add and subtract numbers, but I've never heard of people adding and subtracting words. This book is pretty interesting and funny. I would recommend this book to a friend.
Kalia
This book is totally all about math, except in words. It is probably the hardest book i have read in my entire life. It was soooooooo hard to solve the problems. I managed to solve a few but the rest I had to skip because they were sooooo hard for me to do. I am only in fifth grade and I will probably learn that in 6th grade. It was still a good book and I enjoyed it a lot.
Julie S.
This was strange as would be expected from Louis Sachar. Some laughs. This reminded me why I loved the Wayside School books. I may just have pull them off my shelf and reread some chapters. I feel some nostalgia for gross lunches, dead rats infiltrating the classroom, teachers with cowbells, and the missing floor (was it the 19th floor?- I can't remember).
Emma Nolan
Aug 29, 2009 Emma Nolan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids
Recommended to Emma by: teacher
I was so excited to be doing the homework the kids from Wayside School were doing. My mom was always doing logic puzzles herself, and as a kid I would sit with her and help her with them. So with a little bit of explanation from my mom that these were like that, I could get into it. I must've done the problems over and over again many times.
Tanya
it was confusing but fun
Kbord
The wacky arithmetic doesn't make much sense, but it's absurd in the best way. Not quite as good as the narrative Wayside School books, but still plenty of fun. I gave a copy to a math teacher at the end of a school year.
I really didn't do much of the mind puzzles in the book strictly because I want to do them with my son when he gets older. It was a fun book and I think I could handle going to school at the Wayside school.
Alina
Jul 31, 2007 Alina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: puzzle lovers
I've just bought myself another copy of this book, after not having done these problems in ~15 years. They're hard!! I was much smarter as a little kid than I am an adult...

So much fun.
Teepee
The moment I saw this book on Book Sale, I immediately grabbed it and bought it. Good thing I had extra money that time. :) What can I say? I'm a sucker for Wayside School books :)
Ashlee
Nov 13, 2012 Ashlee added it
Shelves: math-bookshelf
This was a very fun book! The silly arithmetic didnt make all that much sense to me, but it's a fun story for your students and an interesting way to introduce arithmetic.
Ryon
Maybe this book deserves a better rating but I can distinctly remember being *so* frustrated at this book because I didn't understand any of the puzzles when I was little.
Emily
I cannot count how many times I've read this book. I used to read it cover to cover when I was younger, trying to figure out why the puzzles were so goddamn hard.
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2)
  • My Teacher Glows in the Dark (My Teacher is an Alien, #3)
  • Werewolves Don't Go to Summer Camp (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #2)
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • Muggie Maggie
  • Snowbound Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #13)
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse (Apple)
  • Forever Amber Brown
  • The Best School Year Ever (The Herdmans #2)
  • Remembering Mrs. Rossi
  • Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #1)
  • Sport (Harriet the Spy #3)
  • Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library!
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

More about Louis Sachar...
Holes (Holes, #1) Sideways Stories From Wayside School (Wayside School #1) Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2) Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3) Small Steps (Holes, #2)