Start by marking “Chapter One: Janey” as Want to Read:
Chapter One: Janey

Chapter One: Janey

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  6 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Chapter One is a series of short stories, with each short story acting as the first chapter, or “chapter one,” of the featured character’s larger story.

Each short story is connected to and advances the others, culminating in an ending that will leave you wanting more.

Readers will be invited to vote at the end of the series and decide which character’s Chapter One becomes i
Published July 7th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Chapter One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chapter One

Faith Marlow
Janey is not someone most people would go out of their way to say hello to. Safe to say, some might go out of their way to stay away from her. Everyone has saw a girl like Janey, walking down the street, in line at the grocery store, waiting for the bus, and (consciously or not) everyone has passed judgment on her. She looks like a dopehead. She should wash her hair. Where are her parents? Rarely does anyone stop to think of her circumstances, that her situation may not be all her fault. When yo ...more
Lisa
I won this on First Reads.

I was curious about what this book would be like with it being small and just about Janey. I got into it quickly though and before I knew it, I was finished with it. Now I want to read the next one. I have to know what comes next. I will be keeping watch for the rest of these books.
James Schwabacher

I was skeptical beginning this work, but I was instantly engaged in the action. I love Mary Catherine's writing style and intense characterization. I want more!
Janet
Aug 11, 2012 Janet marked it as to-read
This concept seems amazing! A great way to capture a reader!
Laura Houck

I received this through the First Reads program and it is very well written and interesting. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Lily
Lily added it
Mar 12, 2013
Lorraine Beaumont
Lorraine Beaumont marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2013
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Roy Huff
Roy Huff marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2013
Mary Catherine
Jan 20, 2013 Mary Catherine added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Mary Catherine
Jan 20, 2013 Mary Catherine added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Courtney Edson
Courtney Edson marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2012
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2012
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jennifer Metz
Jennifer Metz marked it as to-read
Stephanie Cook
Stephanie Cook marked it as to-read
Isis
Isis marked it as to-read
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jayme Swallow
Jayme Swallow marked it as to-read
Sanchi
Sanchi marked it as to-read
Mitzi
Mitzi marked it as to-read
Kelley
Kelley marked it as to-read
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Deb Blackbourn
Deb Blackbourn marked it as to-read
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2012
Share Your Chapte...: Chapter One: Janey 2 7 Jul 25, 2012 06:18PM
Knowing how to write takes much more than ‘going to school’ for it – as many shitty writing degree graduates prove. But sharing that I have a B.A. in English and Writing encourages some folks to read my stuff, so there you go. I guess they assume I’ll know the difference between ‘your’ and ‘you’re,’ for example. And they’re right.

I write because I love writing, but beyond that I realized years ago
More about Mary Catherine...
Chapter One Chapter One: Morgan Chapter One: Morgan (Chapter One Short Story Series)