Start by marking “Views from the Tower” as Want to Read:
Views from the Tower

Views from the Tower

Eleven enchanting fairy tale short stories:

After spending her whole life isolated in a tower, Rapunzel’s salvation is finally at hand, but she may have merely traded one form of captivity for another…

Special Agent Alice Harrison of the Office of Narrative Order should know better than anyone not to follow a suspicious (and suspiciously good-looking) man in a white rabbit s
Published August 1st 2012 by Tall House Books (first published July 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Views from the Tower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Views from the Tower

RivkaBelle
Apr 30, 2013 RivkaBelle rated it it was amazing
eARC provided by author for review.
Review originally published on my blog: AWordsWorth.blogspot.com

Views from the Tower is a selection of fairy tales re-imagined. Some are flash fiction - which is new to me, but totally fun - and others are longer, more along the lines of a traditional short story. All are delightful, impressive, and quite honestly far too short. (Maybe I'm a fairy tale junkie -- I just can't get enough!)

A few of my favorites, to whet your appetite for a bit of fun fairy tale re
Chris
I'm torn about this book. The writing is pretty typo free, but the style is a little lacking. It is technically correct, but it needs more detail and tone. It's almost as if Grey were frightened to try in some places and worried more about the technical aspect as oppose to the style aspect. Both are important. Because of the style problems some of the stories fall a bit flat.

However, the lack of style is made up for by the twists in the tales. The first three stories which are mediations on(by)
Nancy Kelley
Jul 16, 2013 Nancy Kelley rated it it was amazing

Views From the Tower offers eleven new perspectives on fairy tales we all know. It starts with three flash fiction tales based on Rapunzel, where we get an idea of what it might have been like for her to be trapped, to have a way out, and finally to take charge of her own destiny.

From there, Grey moves on to other tales, such as Rumplestiltskin, Alice in Wonderland, The Princess and the Frog (see my review of this story here), and Snow White and Rose Red. Think you know these stories? Think aga
Veronica Ibarra
Aug 28, 2015 Veronica Ibarra rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
I am a fan of short stories in general. Throw in a fairy tale twist and I'm hooked. Grey's collection is full of intriguing ideas I would love to see expanded and explored further. I really like how her mind works, and was even pleasantly surprised in a few places. It isn't often I read anything in which something happens I didn't see coming, but there were a few moments of sheer brilliance that will now plague me intensely. The over all effect was 4 out of 5, but I can say that one of my ...more
Kelsey
Apr 23, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Us teens who miss bedtime fairy tales! ;)
OH MY FAIRY GODMOTHER! I LOVED every one of these stories!! I defiantly will be reading them again and again! Even though the stories were short, I loved every character in them! PERFECT! Even though I loved each one of these stories, my favorites are;
Chasing Storms
Oh My Fairy Godmother
In Her Service
Mountain Rose and Down The Rabbit Hole
Some of the stories I even wished they were longer! :D I defiantly will be buying Jessica Grey's other books!
Melody
Apr 27, 2014 Melody rated it liked it
This book has some good stories in it. But the truth is it is even shorter than it pretends to be. Over 40% of the "book" is really an excerpt from another book for sale by that author. That seems a high percentage of the book I thought I was getting to be taken up as "advertising."
Richelle
Jan 04, 2013 Richelle rated it it was ok
They weren't finished fairy tales-they gave you a hint about the end and then you'd have to figure it out yourself. It's a great prompt book or it can give you idea's for how fairy tales can be re-written.
Joanna Peterson
Aug 14, 2013 Joanna Peterson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr-readathon
Views from the tower is a collection of short stories.
While all the stories are clever retellings of familiar fairy tales, I absolutely adored "oh my fairy godmother" and Grey's take on the frog prince.
Danica Lamphere
Mar 24, 2014 Danica Lamphere rated it really liked it
Short anthology of different perspectives from various fairy tales, imaginative and unique and I only wish a few of them had become full books in themselves.
Janis
Jan 29, 2015 Janis rated it it was ok
Clever use of the reader's knowledge of fairy tales, but too brief with not enough substance to be truly enjoyable.
Alyssa Greatbanks
Oct 01, 2013 Alyssa Greatbanks rated it did not like it
The stories weren't too bad, but they were very short, too short to really tell you anything. Not to mention a little over half of the book was just excerpts from another book.
Marjorie
This was a compilations of short fairy tale retellings. I loved most of them. Nice light read and fun.
Samantha Adkins
May 20, 2015 Samantha Adkins rated it it was amazing
A clever collection of reinvented fairy tales. Jessica Grey has an engaging writing style that is easy to read and highly enjoyable. Each story left me wanting more.
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Mitchell
Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2016
Melanie Hill
Melanie Hill rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Elise
Elise rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Betsyb
Betsyb rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2013
skyler
skyler rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it did not like it
Dec 05, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Alison Heilman
Alison Heilman rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2013
Kerrie
Kerrie rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Vivek
Vivek rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2013
Bridget
Bridget rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2013
Nicolette
Nicolette rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Seventh Blessing (Tales of Gymandrol, #1)
  • Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • Caroline Bingley
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • Red's Tale / Lobo's Tale (The Faery Taile Project, #1)
  • Happily Ever Afterlife
  • Mrs. Beast: A Novel
  • End: An Apocalyptic Anthology
  • Imperfect Beauty
  • Fey.
  • The Night Library
  • Past Due (Past, #1)
  • Scandal of Love (Scandals & Secrets, #1)
  • The Puppet Queen: A Tale of the Sleeping Beauty
  • Prince Charming Must Die (The Grimm Chronicles #1)
  • Shadow of Oz
  • Twisted Path (Blue Fire, #3)
  • Witch and Wombat