Mark and Tony (Men of Smithfield #1)

Mark and Tony (Men of Smithfield #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,463 ratings  ·  168 reviews
Coming home from work to find my boyfriend banging our hairy, married landlord -- in our bed -- was bad enough. Discovering Jamie had also cleaned out my bank accounts made it officially the worst day of my life. I think I can be forgiven for wanting revenge, even if a few little laws (and possibly Jamie's nose) got bent in the process.

Fortunately, the law is on my side in...more
Published August 6th 2012 by Carina Press (first published February 7th 2009)

I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal RoseShattered Glass by Dani AlexanderCut & Run by Abigail RouxSno Ho by Ethan DayTigers and Devils by Sean Kennedy
The Best Humorous Gay Romances
28th out of 356 books — 853 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonFish & Chips by Abigail Roux
The Best of Gay Romance
244th out of 2,050 books — 2,070 voters

More lists with this book...

Daisiemae
This book was really good. I didn't know how I would feel about it because it is written in first person, and it is NO secret how I HATE first person. But, it looked good, so I decided to bite the bullet. I am glad I did.

What surprised me about the book was how funny it was. I truly wasn't expecting to laugh out loud several times. Plus, I came to care about Mark. His inner thoughts rang true to me for some reason. He was very easy to relate to, and I would be proud to call him a friend. Not to...more
No more Mr. Nice Guy.
Mild mannered Mark Meehan’s good judgment flies out the window when he finds his lover banging another man. Things go from bad to worse as Mark’s crazy revenge scheme uncovers shocking secrets-sending him straight into the arms of hunky lawman and old friend, Tony Gervase, a man of limited patience and secrets of his own.
From Aspen Mountain Press.

I liked Mark. In fact no, I more than liked Mark I just adored this character. He was smart and sexy, but most appealing was his v...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**3.5 stars**

I think I would have liked this better on my Kindle and rated it a solid 4 stars instead of 3.5 stars. This was my first audiobook and I'm not completely sold on it. Most of my friends loved this narration. I think the narrator did a great job except for the voice of Tony, which kiiiillllleeeeddd me. He sounded like a constipated Tony Soprano, and I couldn't feel much for him as a character because I hated the voice so much.

This book had many things that I like. It was funny, it wa...more
Catherine
I think this would have been the perfect plot for a longer book, with more space for feels and meaningful conversations between Mark and Tony, but as it stands, it was still enjoyable enough.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Hard for me to like a story when i don't like any of the characters.

Jaimie you obviously weren't supposed to like

The MC (Forgot his name already) was just not likable IMO. He was stupid and handle everything poorly and just annoyed me to read about

Tony was ok until he admits why he pushed the forgettable main character away... (view spoiler)...more
Beck
On Amazon.com this book is marketed under the name...

Men of Smithfield: Mark and Tony.

This is a fast-paced story with a slightly hysterical queen having a major life-crisis & melt down. I did enjoy the craziness of the story & found myself snorting in laughter. Amongst the chaos & smelly landlords, there is a sweet romance too. I will definitely continue with the series to see how the romance blossoms & grows. This was a really nice read & I would recommend it to anyone who d...more
Marc
This series has often been recommended to me, but I kept pushing it back, because the title did do nothing for me. Might be weird, but with only two names as title my expectations were low and I wasn't hooked.

I finally did listen to the audiobook and was pleasently surprised. A great narration, a dynamic between the MCs that reminded me a bit of the MCs of the 'A Matter of Time' series, action, hot sex and a lot of fun *g*

There are also some stupid decisions by the MCs and I still don't really g...more
Natasha
2.5!
Well, this was my first audiobook.
I'm not sure I can listen to romances on audiobook because of the hilarity. I actually think this book was pretty swell and I might've even liked it more if I read it. It's not the books fault the narrator gave Tony a hilarious voice.
Also the book was cute and funny!
Deeze
A quick easy read, told over the space of 4 days. Nothing to make it stand out, but still enjoyable.

I enjoyed Mark and Tony’s little will they wont they romance.

Jamie was a typical jerk you wanted to see get his comeuppance, which I’m glad to say he did, in more ways than one.

Overall a simple read with a touch of mystery and a few chuckles courtesy of Mark’s thought process.
ttg
3.5 stars – The first story in Gregg’s Men of Smithfield series, this one focusing on Mark, who just caught his live-in boyfriend cheating, and his kneejerk quest for revenge starts with “gobsmacking” his bf with a bible and then leads to dumping his now-ex’s stuff, and then careens into finding out that all his money was stolen and he’s about to be evicted. In swoops Officer Tony, stalwart friend and his crush of long ago, but Mark is still busy fuming, so isn’t too quick on the uptake as his e...more
Susan65-Coug
Whoa...slow your jets! This story takes off at the very beginning and doesn't slow down...at all!!

Mark is pissed...his boyfriend has played him and he is not going to take it lying down, oh no...he is gonna figure out how things got so screwed up, how he could have been so blind, and exact his revenge...even if he has to walk a fine line between the law (and Tony) to do it.

Jamie is a douche, plain and simple. Did he deserve what he got? Maybe.

Tony is only guilty of not speaking up sooner and all...more
Nic
This was a 3.5 star story that I enjoyed via the audio version. This humorous story starts with Mark catching his cheating boyfriend and then turning to Tony, local cop and unrequited love-of-his-life, for help.

The narrator (Shannon Gunn) was excellent. The pacing was good and the story progressed at a good rate. His accents were brilliant, particularly Tony, so it was easy to differentiate the characters. The inflections and humour really came through in the narration. The sex scenes were also...more
Camille
3.8

Audible version

I like this one best in the whole series. The funny thing is that I attempted to read this book many months ago and couldn't get past the first few chapters. Definitely lets me know that it can all come down to timing every once in a while because I really enjoyed this one.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Serious but humorous

I can't remember having read many stories that feature bad break ups in all their glory. This one does and it does it very well and in a way that is authentic. It isn't angsty either but has a humorous tone although the issues dealt with are serious.

Mark discovers his boyfriend is a louse. The louse lies, cheats and steals. Mark confronts him in a way that is public, but illegal, but also comical and so the story begins.

What follows is a journey through a bad break up to a n...more
Chris
Very good m/m romance about a guy who goes a little nuts after finding his boyfriend screwing their landlord in their bedroom and things start to spiral out of control. Then there's the friend he's had a crush on for years, who turns out to have a few secrets of his own...
Shirley Frances
How can you NOT read this book after reading the blurb. That scene right there was laugh-out-loud hilarious.

Mark...Mark, Mark, Mark, that is what I kept saying throughout the book. He was just so, I don't know - all over the place. He did things that were just this side of ridiculous, but funny as hell. He was foolish and impulsive. Sarcastic, funny and impulsive. So lovable and sexy and impulsive. Did I say impulsive? Well, he was. But through all that impulsiveness I could see a very funny, sa...more
Audrey
3.5 stars.

I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I actually enjoyed it more for the story/suspense elements than for the romance development.

THE STORY, IN BRIEF
Mark goes postal on his now-ex-boyfriend Jamie when he discovers Jamie in their bed, cheating on him with his hairy and disgusting landlord. Unfortunately, Jamie's betrayal of their relationship is only the tip of the iceberg. Jamie is in some hot water, but luckily, Mark has his longtime police officer friend, Tony, in his corner to en...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
Well this was entertaining and funny. the opening scene was a riot!
Mark, poor Mark, a bit impulsive maybe but cute. I liked his family, the little we saw of them.
Although I'm not sure I liked Tony as much as I was supposed to.
I thought he was a bit condescending . I think I wanted to see a softer side of him and maybe a bit of groveling. His bedside manner leaves a bit to be desired too.
(view spoiler)...more
Julie
This is a big book for me this year. Not only was it my 100th read of 2010, but it was also my first m/m story that I ever read. *throws confetti* And since this was my first m/m read, you are probably thinking that there must be some back story to how I picked this particular title. Well, to that I say…of course there is!

Many of my bloggy friends read and truly enjoy the m/m genre. So I wanted to play too! I went to one of the best sources for m/m – KC from Smokin’ Hot Books. She is cookoo over...more
Janna
This review was originally posted at my blog on December 20, 2009

This is the first of three books in The Men of Smithfield series. The other two are Happy Ending and Cover Me and both are on my TBR pile impatiently waiting to be read, because they know I badly want to.

Seriously, Gobsmacked was a delicious read! I obviously enjoyed it for the sweet romance and hot love scenes between cuties Mark and Tony, but even more for the highly entertaining, diverting voice with which this story wa...more
Jenre
I have a pretty strange sense of humour. I like silly visual gags and people who are in potentially embarrassing situations. With that in mind, the opening chapter of this novella hit all my funny buttons and I laughed out loud. I mean, how could you not laugh when a gay man storms into a Catholic church during an Ash Wednesday mass, denounces his lover as a cheat and liar and proceeds to hit him over the head with a bible? It certainly got my attention, that’s for sure.

The gay man in question i...more
Kelan
I'm sorry, but I didn't like this book at all. Based on some of the reviews, I expected a funny and amusing story with great characters, and a cheating villain who gets his ass kicked by an MC who has the upper hand and takes his revenge. But it's nothing like that.
The first half and some parts at the end are really frustrating, when bad stuff happens and Mark is almost helpless to it. He only reacts, and his situation only gets worse, no matter what he does. The only revenge-y thing he does is...more
DaisyGirl
3.5 stars rounded up to 4.0

This was a funny and entertaining read. I really like L.B. Gregg's writing style. I love how the book starts. I don't condone violence, especially in a place of worship, but I'd be lying my ass off if I said that f*cker didn't have it coming. No doubt, Mark should've kicked Jamie's cheating ass when he caught those philanderers at home and been done with it; but, that ass-whooping was non-negotiable ... it had to happen ... so I say, better late than never! The fact th...more
Nik
4.5 rounded up because I couldn't stop laughing.

Mark was absolutely clueless but hilarious no less. I thought Tony was hot but, then I have a thing for men in uniform, so there ya go. Jaime was a complete tool but, I'm sure that was quite the point. I thought the mystery portion here was a little less....mysterious but, overall I really thought this was a fun light read. My only quibble was I didn't find the ending that satisfying. I'm going to read the next book in the series and hope that ther...more
Jennifer★Pher★
This would have been excellent had it been longer. There is so much more conversation I needed to see and well, more of an ending. I think I really do like this author though so I am going to keep going.
Cindi
I have wanted to read this for quite awhile now so I was happy when it became available for download again. This is a nice friends-to- lovers story. One thing made me go "hmmm..." (view spoiler), which is why I can't give it a higher rating.

Otherwise, a good story.
Jane (PS)
Audio: Narrated by Shannon ?

I think I may have enjoyed this better in ebook. The narrator was really very good, but there is so much happening that I suspect that reading it would have allowed me to take more in. But it is a fund romp with action and narkiness aplenty... And one very sexy hot cop.

I'll listen to this again - and hope to pick up on the things I missed :)
Shannon
I was expecting a book with a whole lot more abuse but it wasn't a dark, depressing read at all. Sweet story about a man finding his lover cheating on him, trying to get away and get his money back then ending up with his friend and the man he's loved for 10 years.
Silkeeeeee
Unfortunately I didn't find anything too outstanding here. It's a basic, sweet read. The characters were okay but not newsworthy, the sex had the potential to be hot with Tony's dirty mouth but was much too short and the suspense was easily figured out. Sorry....more
Arthur
None of the characters are likable. Except for the main character, everybody else cheats. And the main one simply forgives his love interest with sex. To top that, the MC has tendency to make life more difficult for himself by keep doing stupid things.
  • Dead Run (Dangerous Ground, #4)
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
  • True Colors (True Colors, #1)
  • As You Are
  • Private Dicks (Private Dicks, #1)
  • Edward Unconditionally (Common Powers, #3)
  • Hard Fall (Deputy Joe, #1)
  • Out of My Mind
  • But For You (A Matter of Time #6)
  • Purgatory (Heaven Sent, #2)
  • Chasing Smoke
  • A Reason To Believe
LB Gregg (Lisabea) writes fun, fast-paced contemporary male/male romances for a variety of publishers including Riptide, Samhain, Musa, and Carina Press. Her wildly successful Men of Smithfield books feature hot, hunky men looking for love in small town New England. You can find more information about LB, The Men of Smithfield, and her fun series Romano and Albright at www.lbgregg.com.
More about L.B. Gregg...
Catch Me If You Can (Romano and Albright, #1) Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2) Mistletoe at Midnight How I Met Your Father Seth and David (Men of Smithfield, #3)