Start by marking “Solos” as Want to Read:
Solos

Solos

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  23 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Ten monologues from authors as diverse as the Angel Gabriel, a Detroit car worker, a bereaved father, a would-be Super Villain, and a south Wales gentleman farmer.

Dealing with revenge, murder plans, unrequited love and ingrowing toenails. You'll laugh, you'll cry. You won't hurl. Mostly you'll laugh.

Quirky short reads to entertain you at coffee time or stop you sleeping at
Published September 17th 2012 (first published July 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Solos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solos

Ellen
Feb 04, 2013 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Hilarious short stories to keep you laughing. I read them and laughed while on the treadmill. Great sense of humor. Great stories. Highly recommended.
Maria
Mar 04, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of cleverly constructed short stories. Many involve the theme of murder, for example, a story of a man trying to work out how to kill his ex, with completely unexpected results; and the story of a man who killed the wrong people by accident after planning a murder for ages. All of the stories are original and many have surprising endings. I wasn't sure what to expect from this collection after reading The Blues Detective, and related short stories in that series of books by ...more
Christoph Fischer
Sep 01, 2013 Christoph Fischer rated it it was amazing
"Solos" by Andrew Peters is darker than his other books and in some of the pieces the tone is much more serious, yet they still are undistinguishable Peters: clever and humorous.
The ten monologues have different themes. I was quite moved by the story about the sailor grandfather or the bereaved husband and father but while Peters handles these sad moments without pretence the stories follow a very natural thread and where they don't make you think, they will often still make you laugh.
Hate for
Pachinkofan
Jan 04, 2015 Pachinkofan rated it it was ok
Gave up during the third tale. Like tales of the unexpected but not as good. Disappointed even though it was free.
Seumas Gallacher
Sep 26, 2012 Seumas Gallacher rated it it was amazing
I read Solos and Andrew Peters' other offering, The Blues Detective, both in the same day.. I couldn't put them down.. deliciously witty, dry humour to die for (in some cases , seriously so). I'm glad I've found this man's writings..and will be after the next lot as soon as he puts it out there. The droll language makes this collection crack along at a terrific pace... you don't have time to get tired... and his throwaway lines are classic Hitchcock in print. LUV IT ! give us more, and soon, And ...more
Richie Earl
Oct 28, 2012 Richie Earl rated it really liked it
Another thoroughly enjoyable read from Andrew Peters comprising of nine short, unconnected stories. Not as funny as the Blues Detective, but darker in humour, Solos still managed to raise more than an occasional chuckle. I guessed the ending of each story well before the climax, only to then realise that I was wrong more than fifty per cent of the time. The obvious isn't always what it seems, although it is sometimes.
Alison French
Oct 06, 2012 Alison French rated it it was amazing
Having read The Blues Detective(also by Andrew Peters) before this book, I was surprised to find the humerous stories interspersed with more touching and thought provoking ones. A true mix of all emotions with stories to match your every mood. An excellent book with a story for all seasons. A true gem!
A Case For The Blues Detective is next on my list to buy.
Jayne
Nov 03, 2014 Jayne rated it it was amazing
A great collection of quick, easy reads which offer a variety of plots written with a likeable style. I thoroughly enjoyed reaching for the next story and could relate so well to much of the content. Some great observations on human-kind, would thoroughly recommend this book and look forward to reading more by the same author.
Andrew Peters
Aug 02, 2012 Andrew Peters added it  ·  (Review from the author)
One of the best two books I have ever written!
Nikhi Bolton
Nikhi Bolton marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Ztyu
Ztyu marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Joe Lumley
Joe Lumley rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
r coulson
r coulson rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Molly
Molly added it
Dec 20, 2015
Hazel Jones
Hazel Jones rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Elmarie Bester
Elmarie Bester rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Jennifer Holmes
Jennifer Holmes marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Adam Greenow
Adam Greenow rated it did not like it
Apr 09, 2015
Angela Brooks
Angela Brooks rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Sally-ann Jessop
Sally-ann Jessop marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Dom
Dom marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Candace
Candace rated it liked it
Twilightwatchers
Twilightwatchers marked it as to-read
Eline Armstrong
Eline Armstrong marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Linzi
Linzi rated it it was amazing
Kay Limbu
Kay Limbu marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Born in the swamps of Glamorgan, I have wandered the world, generally with a guitar in hand.
Here I am in a beautiful village in central Spain, where the sun shines, the lake is warm, the drink is cheap and the people and animals are friendly.
I share my place with two gorgeous local cats, more guitars than I can count and a fridge full of wine.
Oh, and I write stories. Many of them about Otis King,
More about Andrew Peters...