The Blues Detective

The Blues Detective

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Meet Otis King ... or that's the name on his office door. Maybe his original name sounded a little more Welsh, but didn't sit too well on a Blues guitarist in the city of Memphis.

By day, Otis works as The Blues Detective. Pretty much every Blues related case in Memphis drifts his way sooner or later.
Enjoy Otis' adventures in bite sized chunks with your coffee, or better y...more
Published September 8th 2012 (first published July 29th 2012)

Jenny Hilborne
This is the most entertaining collection of short stories I've ever read. Otis King is a blues detective, originally from Wales and now living in Memphis. In this book, he gets to dragged in to solve several different cases. Otis prefers women, bourbon, and nodding off in his office to real work, but needs to pay his bills, so he grudgingly accepts each case.

This is not a mystery novel and Otis is not your ordinary detective. He is a jaded, often sarcastic private detective, who does not hold ba...more
Mad about
Otis King a.k.a. The Blues Detective has switched the cold, wet weather of the Valleys for the expanding waist lines of Memphis, home of the King and heart attacks on a plate. Watch him solve cases, drink bourbon and eat Welshcakes whilst procuring some lovely female company.

The Missing Musician see's a woman with "curves that would keep a math professor calculating for years" walk in with a seemingly straight forward missing husbands case but little do they know that he's turned to the dark sid...more
Paul
Full disclosure: I won a copy of "A Case For the Blues Detective" on FirstReads, and the author sent this one also because he liked the picture of me with my guitar.

I loved the title character, Otis. He's of Welsh ancestry, born with an innate love of blues music but stuck in a pasty-white body (much like this reviewer). I love his taste in music (and the quotes on the back cover are hilarious).

This is not a mystery novel; these are the entertaining exploits and good-natured gripes of a dude who...more
Seumas Gallacher
Both Andrew Peters' books have sat on my TBR backlog on Kindle for a while. I started reading the first one this morning , and enjoyed it so much, then proceeded to the second one.. Two books read in one day.. They are wonderfully well crafted short stories, all with the same flavour of the Blues Detective hacking out a living in Memphis between paying gigs in the blues clubs to Private Detective work. Superbly witty writing, excellent bite sized episodes, and many turns of phrase that'll tickle...more
Alison French
If you're a jazz musician of a sensitive nature, look away now.

I loved the fusion of the deep south of Wales with the more traditionally recognised one of the USA. The style is very much one of 'Let me tell you a story' with loads of personality and the refreshing viewpoint of a man who selectively enjoys his favourite bits of the lifestyle he has adopted whilst seeming to go along with (most of)the rest. This all adds to the humour of these short stories as does the frequent translation of word...more
Maria
This book is hilarious. I think there is at least one laugh out loud moment on every page. It's a collection of short mysteries where a private detective, Otis King, tries to solve a few cases for random clients. Every client has a link to the Blues in some way. The stories are mostly set in Memphis. Otis is originally from Wales in the UK, and tries his best to fit in to the US lifestyle. His comments about the language differences are very funny. Unable to completely give up his Welsh roots, h...more
Book-shelf Shelf
A book of short stories about a welsh detective living in USA. As the names states he's a blues player at night and a detective by day. The way this is written is old style and gives the reader the insight into a typical detectives office... filled with smoke (although he doesn't smoke), a bottle of liquor in the draw, frosted glass on the door.... you get the picture.
The stories are written uniquely and brilliantly... with each story giving just enough information to be good,and not enough to...more
Darcia Helle
This is a collection of short stories featuring Otis King, a Welsh blues detective and musician living in Memphis. Each story mixes humor with a little mystery, and, of course, references to the blues. Otis has a bemused, slightly jaded way of looking at life. He enjoys alcohol and women, perhaps a little too much at times, and isn't the least bit shy about saying so. The observations he makes on the people he meets and life in general are both comical and insightful. I was thoroughly immersed i...more
Richie Earl
This is the first book by Andrew Peters that I've read and it certainly won't be the last. A quick and easy, entertaining read which had me laughing out loud on several occasions. Otis King (obviously not the character's real name) is a Welshman abroad, solving cases connected, sometimes tenuously, to the Blues scene. I almost felt like I was sitting across the table from Peters in Taffs Diner, as he recounted the (mis)adventures of The Blues Detective.

The only negative for me, albeit a very sli...more
Susana
Andrew Peter's The Blues Detective has been a really amusing book from the beginning. After reading the first affair, I already liked Otis King and his sense of humour, some of whose statements had me laughing aloud. The different cases or "affairs", as he himself calls them, are funny, disconcerting and a little absurd at times, but the result is an utterly readable and enjoyable book. I am looking forward to reading more of his crazy adventures
Jayne
This collection of bite-size tales, centred on The Blues Detective, left me wanting more. The Bourbon-swilling, ever hopeful womaniser is quite endearing but the plots start to make you think about what motivates people. On the one hand, a light hearteded read, on another it invites us to think a little deeper. Would really recomend it!
Jeff
I won this book on Goodreads.
It was a very fun read, but was missing something. The short story format made a quick read, and there was plenty of humor, but I believe there needed to be more "substance" to the stories. Hopefully he will wrie some more because the he definitely has talent, wit and humor.
Emily Boivin
i loved this novel read it as soon as i got it. would recomend it to anyone who enjoys a mystery with a bit of southern charm.
Robert Cohen
This collection of short stories uses humor as a weapon to bludgeon the reader into submission. Call me masochistic, but I eagerly surrendered.

Our hero, Otis King, the eponymous Blues Detective, is snarky, supercilious about music, disparaging of Memphis, vocabularily confused due to his Welsh origin, an incorrigible womanizer, and a world class curmudgeon with a seriously hilarious alcohol problem (OK, so alcohol is not funny. It used to be. Call me nostalgic). It seems that Peters has invented...more
RJ
"The Wire" was one of my all time favorite police dramas on television. It opened with the blues theme song, "Way Down in the Hole." Tom Waits performed the song in the first season, and my immediate reaction was that I found the song disturbing. Waits has a gruff, unique voice that fell substantially outside of my comfort zone. In the week between the first two episodes, I found myself reflecting on the song as frequently as I thought of that amazing show. Before long, my perception of the show...more
John
Mar 23, 2014 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Looking for an interesting and unique perspective in your P.I. stories? I suggest that you immediately download or go to your local book store to purchase and consume this extremely entertaining group of loosely connected short stories featuring the life and activities of Otis King the Blues Detective. I am sure that you will find that they represent an easy way to boost your component of good humor.

A 5 star award is warranted.
Paul Brazill
Otis King is a Welsh blues guitarist living in Memphis and working as a private detective. Otis regularly encounters a veritable cornucopia of colourful and lurid characters such as Louie the Falcon, Uncle Gryff, Suki Goodlay, Koko Brown, and meets gangsters, musicians, doughnut munching cops and a politician’s widow who moonlights as a topless wrestler known as The Masked Mistress. He tracks down missing husbands, missing guitars, missing harmonicas, missing cats. And more.

These Runyonesque yar...more
Marianne
My god this was a hilarious collection. Well worth putting up with the first person present tense.
Christoph Fischer
"The Blues Detective" by Andrew Peters is a fun filled selection of short stories about a Welsh born detective in Memphis. To me, a European who lives with a Welsh significant other near Wales, this was quite a treat. The idea of having those two cultures clash and complement each other was very original in my view and worked well. The stories were short and to the point, well told and all had me smile at the end.
Peters has a great sense of humour, some of his ideas are hilarious, other more low...more
G.D. Milne
May 09, 2014 G.D. Milne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humour
Recommended to G.D. by: I found it myself
I've read this book by Andrew Peters twice and that says a lot about how much I liked it. Many years ago I enjoyed reading Mickey Spillane books and The Blues Detective has that pace but with lots of humour that kept me wanting to turn the page. Brilliant. Let's hope there's more Otis King to follow...Stay Cheeky.
Tim
Very easy read. I wonder what Americans would make of ironic Welsh humour, it took me a long time to figure out whether my Mum (b. Monmouth) was joking or not.. each story is a bit short but gems none the less. Highly recommended.
Matt Rees
A good light read and a captivating style. Not in the mold of the usual detective thrillers. It was different and I liked that. I'd like to see more from this author and in the same style.
Andrew Peters
Aug 02, 2012 Andrew Peters added it  ·  (Review from the author)
One of the best 2 books I have ever written!
Melody
pretty good light read.
Cindy Larock
predictable...
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Born in the swamps of Glamorgan, I have wandered the world, generally with a guitar in hand.
Here I am in a beautiful village in central Spain, where the sun shines, the lake is warm, the drink is cheap and the people and animals are friendly.
I share my place with two gorgeous local cats, more guitars than I can count and a fridge full of wine.
Oh, and I write stories. Many of them about Otis King,...more
More about Andrew Peters...
Joe Soap The Blues Detective Saves Christmas The Barry Island Murders The Bustacious Bunny Solos