Start by marking “The Blues Detective” as Want to Read:
The Blues Detective

The Blues Detective

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Meet Otis King ... or that's the name on his office door. Maybe his original name sounded a little more Welsh, but didn't sit too well on a Blues guitarist in the city of Memphis.

By day, Otis works as The Blues Detective. Pretty much every Blues related case in Memphis drifts his way sooner or later.
Enjoy Otis' adventures in bite sized chunks with your coffee, or better y
Published September 8th 2012 (first published July 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Blues Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blues Detective

Jenny Hilborne
Apr 03, 2013 Jenny Hilborne rated it it was amazing
This is the most entertaining collection of short stories I've ever read. Otis King is a blues detective, originally from Wales and now living in Memphis. In this book, he gets to dragged in to solve several different cases. Otis prefers women, bourbon, and nodding off in his office to real work, but needs to pay his bills, so he grudgingly accepts each case.

This is not a mystery novel and Otis is not your ordinary detective. He is a jaded, often sarcastic private detective, who does not hold ba
Mad about
Sep 21, 2012 Mad about rated it really liked it
Otis King a.k.a. The Blues Detective has switched the cold, wet weather of the Valleys for the expanding waist lines of Memphis, home of the King and heart attacks on a plate. Watch him solve cases, drink bourbon and eat Welshcakes whilst procuring some lovely female company.

The Missing Musician see's a woman with "curves that would keep a math professor calculating for years" walk in with a seemingly straight forward missing husbands case but little do they know that he's turned to the dark sid
Paul
Feb 27, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I won a copy of "A Case For the Blues Detective" on FirstReads, and the author sent this one also because he liked the picture of me with my guitar.

I loved the title character, Otis. He's of Welsh ancestry, born with an innate love of blues music but stuck in a pasty-white body (much like this reviewer). I love his taste in music (and the quotes on the back cover are hilarious).

This is not a mystery novel; these are the entertaining exploits and good-natured gripes of a dude who
Alison French
Sep 02, 2012 Alison French rated it really liked it
If you're a jazz musician of a sensitive nature, look away now.

I loved the fusion of the deep south of Wales with the more traditionally recognised one of the USA. The style is very much one of 'Let me tell you a story' with loads of personality and the refreshing viewpoint of a man who selectively enjoys his favourite bits of the lifestyle he has adopted whilst seeming to go along with (most of)the rest. This all adds to the humour of these short stories as does the frequent translation of word
Maria
Jan 03, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-i-won
This book is hilarious. I think there is at least one laugh out loud moment on every page. It's a collection of short mysteries where a private detective, Otis King, tries to solve a few cases for random clients. Every client has a link to the Blues in some way. The stories are mostly set in Memphis. Otis is originally from Wales in the UK, and tries his best to fit in to the US lifestyle. His comments about the language differences are very funny. Unable to completely give up his Welsh roots, h ...more
Book-shelf Shelf
Nov 07, 2012 Book-shelf Shelf rated it really liked it
A book of short stories about a welsh detective living in USA. As the names states he's a blues player at night and a detective by day. The way this is written is old style and gives the reader the insight into a typical detectives office... filled with smoke (although he doesn't smoke), a bottle of liquor in the draw, frosted glass on the door.... you get the picture.
The stories are written uniquely and brilliantly... with each story giving just enough information to be good,and not enough to
Darcia Helle
This is a collection of short stories featuring Otis King, a Welsh blues detective and musician living in Memphis. Each story mixes humor with a little mystery, and, of course, references to the blues. Otis has a bemused, slightly jaded way of looking at life. He enjoys alcohol and women, perhaps a little too much at times, and isn't the least bit shy about saying so. The observations he makes on the people he meets and life in general are both comical and insightful. I was thoroughly immersed i ...more
Richie Earl
Sep 30, 2012 Richie Earl rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Andrew Peters that I've read and it certainly won't be the last. A quick and easy, entertaining read which had me laughing out loud on several occasions. Otis King (obviously not the character's real name) is a Welshman abroad, solving cases connected, sometimes tenuously, to the Blues scene. I almost felt like I was sitting across the table from Peters in Taffs Diner, as he recounted the (mis)adventures of The Blues Detective.

The only negative for me, albeit a very sli
Susana
Oct 05, 2012 Susana rated it really liked it
Andrew Peter's The Blues Detective has been a really amusing book from the beginning. After reading the first affair, I already liked Otis King and his sense of humour, some of whose statements had me laughing aloud. The different cases or "affairs", as he himself calls them, are funny, disconcerting and a little absurd at times, but the result is an utterly readable and enjoyable book. I am looking forward to reading more of his crazy adventures
Jayne
Aug 15, 2012 Jayne rated it it was amazing
This collection of bite-size tales, centred on The Blues Detective, left me wanting more. The Bourbon-swilling, ever hopeful womaniser is quite endearing but the plots start to make you think about what motivates people. On the one hand, a light hearteded read, on another it invites us to think a little deeper. Would really recomend it!
Jeff
Oct 10, 2012 Jeff rated it liked it
I won this book on Goodreads.
It was a very fun read, but was missing something. The short story format made a quick read, and there was plenty of humor, but I believe there needed to be more "substance" to the stories. Hopefully he will wrie some more because the he definitely has talent, wit and humor.
Emily Boivin
Oct 12, 2012 Emily Boivin rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
i loved this novel read it as soon as i got it. would recomend it to anyone who enjoys a mystery with a bit of southern charm.
Robert Cohen
Jun 26, 2014 Robert Cohen rated it it was amazing
This collection of short stories uses humor as a weapon to bludgeon the reader into submission. Call me masochistic, but I eagerly surrendered.

Our hero, Otis King, the eponymous Blues Detective, is snarky, supercilious about music, disparaging of Memphis, vocabularily confused due to his Welsh origin, an incorrigible womanizer, and a world class curmudgeon with a seriously hilarious alcohol problem (OK, so alcohol is not funny. It used to be. Call me nostalgic). It seems that Peters has invented
RJ
Apr 06, 2013 RJ rated it really liked it
"The Wire" was one of my all time favorite police dramas on television. It opened with the blues theme song, "Way Down in the Hole." Tom Waits performed the song in the first season, and my immediate reaction was that I found the song disturbing. Waits has a gruff, unique voice that fell substantially outside of my comfort zone. In the week between the first two episodes, I found myself reflecting on the song as frequently as I thought of that amazing show. Before long, my perception of the show ...more
John
Mar 23, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Looking for an interesting and unique perspective in your P.I. stories? I suggest that you immediately download or go to your local book store to purchase and consume this extremely entertaining group of loosely connected short stories featuring the life and activities of Otis King the Blues Detective. I am sure that you will find that they represent an easy way to boost your component of good humor.

A 5 star award is warranted.
Tony
Jan 26, 2015 Tony rated it really liked it
Enjoyable little book, the author did a good job of inserting humor at the right times. Lots of short stories and couldn't put it down.
Seumas Gallacher
Sep 26, 2012 Seumas Gallacher rated it it was amazing
Both Andrew Peters' books have sat on my TBR backlog on Kindle for a while. I started reading the first one this morning , and enjoyed it so much, then proceeded to the second one.. Two books read in one day.. They are wonderfully well crafted short stories, all with the same flavour of the Blues Detective hacking out a living in Memphis between paying gigs in the blues clubs to Private Detective work. Superbly witty writing, excellent bite sized episodes, and many turns of phrase that'll tickle ...more
Christoph Fischer
Mar 24, 2013 Christoph Fischer rated it it was amazing
"The Blues Detective" by Andrew Peters is a fun filled selection of short stories about a Welsh born detective in Memphis. To me, a European who lives with a Welsh significant other near Wales, this was quite a treat. The idea of having those two cultures clash and complement each other was very original in my view and worked well. The stories were short and to the point, well told and all had me smile at the end.
Peters has a great sense of humour, some of his ideas are hilarious, other more low
G.D. Milne
May 09, 2014 G.D. Milne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humour
Recommended to G.D. by: I found it myself
I've read this book by Andrew Peters twice and that says a lot about how much I liked it. Many years ago I enjoyed reading Mickey Spillane books and The Blues Detective has that pace but with lots of humour that kept me wanting to turn the page. Brilliant. Let's hope there's more Otis King to follow...Stay Cheeky.
Tim
May 20, 2013 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, humour, fiction
Very easy read. I wonder what Americans would make of ironic Welsh humour, it took me a long time to figure out whether my Mum (b. Monmouth) was joking or not.. each story is a bit short but gems none the less. Highly recommended.
Matt Rees
Aug 12, 2013 Matt Rees rated it really liked it
A good light read and a captivating style. Not in the mold of the usual detective thrillers. It was different and I liked that. I'd like to see more from this author and in the same style.
Marianne
Jan 22, 2015 Marianne rated it it was amazing
My god this was a hilarious collection. Well worth putting up with the first person present tense.
Andrew Peters
Aug 02, 2012 Andrew Peters added it  ·  (Review from the author)
One of the best 2 books I have ever written!
Melody
Apr 06, 2013 Melody rated it liked it
pretty good light read.
Cindy
Aug 18, 2013 Cindy rated it it was ok
predictable...
Jack Noe
Jack Noe marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Kelsa Rowland-evans
Kelsa Rowland-evans rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Bostonlotus
Bostonlotus marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Quenya
Quenya marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Tanveer
Tanveer rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
  • The Games Men Play
  • The Shelter
  • Quantum Physics and the Art of Departure
  • The Games We Play
  • Little Visible Delight
  • Bestseller Bound Anthology (Volume 1)
  • Lost and Found
  • The Night Walk Men (The Night Walk Men, #1)
  • Flashy Fiction and Other Insane Tales (Bundle Vol 1 & 2)
  • The Lexical Funk
  • The Depot: When Life and Death Cross Tracks
  • Dream On
  • Ladies and Gentlemen...The Redeemers
  • The Sun Never Rises in the Big City
  • Fat Chance
  • Poisoned Soil
  • Pressure Point (The Randall Lee Mysteries #2)
  • Black Cow
Born in the swamps of Glamorgan, I have wandered the world, generally with a guitar in hand.
Here I am in a beautiful village in central Spain, where the sun shines, the lake is warm, the drink is cheap and the people and animals are friendly.
I share my place with two gorgeous local cats, more guitars than I can count and a fridge full of wine.
Oh, and I write stories. Many of them about Otis King,
More about Andrew Peters...