Start by marking “Rosedale the Vampyre” as Want to Read:
Rosedale the Vampyre

Rosedale the Vampyre

Grief-stricken by his wife's untimely death, a wealthy New York banker turns to sexual abandon in the bordellos of 1907 New York. Then one fateful night, after a mysterious attack, he dies to his old life and is reborn a Vampyre. Once obsessed solely with making money and social advancement, he's now driven by a new, perverse hunger for blood. Written in a period voice, th ...more
Published June 15th 2012 by Amazoin Digital

To ask other readers questions about Rosedale the Vampyre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rosedale the Vampyre

Nikki  Peterson
Sep 15, 2012 Nikki Peterson rated it liked it

Mr. Rosedale has had to deal with people looking down on him for all of his life, except his recently departed wife. She passed away while in child birth. His mother was disowned for marrying below her station in life, which then passed on to him when he was taken in by her family after her death. Even though he has managed to bring great fortune to his family through their bank. He also has to deal with the stigma of the time for being Jewish.

Trying to lose himself in the pleasures of the fles
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Interestingly enough, I think this book is a kind of supernatural sequel (or perhaps, an alternative-universe re-imagining) to the author's previous novel, Rosedale in Love -- Raphael's take on Wharton's The House of Mirth, from the viewpoint of Simon Rosedale, Jewish financier and suitor to the haughty Lily Bart.

I don't think one needs to be familiar with either Rosedale in Love or The House of Mirth to enjoy this novella; the story here is really about a Gilded Age widower's descent into dep
Anna
May 14, 2016 Anna rated it it was ok
What's the point?

I spontaneously bought the book for kindle after having read a blog entry by the author and seeing the positive reviews on amazon. It immediately started with a bad first impression when the main character whined about loosing his wife to childbirth - just the way Interview with the vampire (the movie) began. Very original. His background is fleshed out a little more later on, but at the beginning, it feels very flat. That some of the descriptions of the sensual experience of tu
My Book Addiction and More MBA
ROSEDALE,THE VAMPYRE by Lev Raphael is an interesting paranormal historical fiction set in 1907 New York City. A quick,short novella. A gothic tale, in true Edgar Allen Poe style,of lost love,and the transformation into a vampyre. Written with detail descriptions. Rosedale, is a Jew who is attacked and becomes a vampyre. When Rosedale's wife and child dies in childbirth he is left lost in his grief,alone,and adrift. He is "Risen"from the dead with quicken senses,lustful thoughts,a need for blood ...more
Bob Milne
Dec 10, 2012 Bob Milne rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires
With the exception of a 'shock' ending that was a little too abrupt for my tastes, Rosedale the Vampyre is an entirely satisfying piece of period horror. Lev Raphael has done an admirable job of establishing both setting and atmosphere, providing the reader with a novella that honest feels as if it could be a rediscovered turn-of-the-century work of fiction.

Rosedale is a fascinating character, an empty, sorrowful man who has never quite fit in.Ostracized by family, shunned by society, and bereft
Uke Jackson
Oct 08, 2012 Uke Jackson rated it it was amazing
I got this ebook by downloading it from Amazon onto my Kindle.

I enjoyed this long short story / short novella very much. It is set in Manhattan in 1907. The prose style mimics the speaking patterns of the era quite well, and the entire is very well written. My only gripe is that it's too short. Leaving the reader wanting more is one thing, but . . .

Anyway at the end it says there are more novellas to come. I will definitely read them.

There's a lot of great set up about how different Jewish vamp
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
Mar 17, 2013 Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews marked it as might-read-1-day
Hvis jeg får lånt denne boka fra amazon lending library kommer jeg kanskje til å lese den. Og jeg kommer da til å skrive på norsk etterpå, siden forfatteren har sagt at han synes de som blogger om bøker bør gjøre det bare på morsmålet sitt, ikke på engelsk. Kanskje han kommer til å synes det er litt teit å få en bok andmeldelse på et språk han ikke kan lese selv? Eller kanskje han i grunnen gir faen.

Det kan også hende at jeg aldri kommer til å lese denne boka, den ser ikke ut til å være den mest
David Marshall
Sep 08, 2012 David Marshall rated it liked it
I thought this was an interesting novella detailing the physical transformation of a character out of The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton into a vampire. I'm not sure I could read an entire book in this period style, but it works quite well at this length.

Bk
Dec 15, 2013 Bk rated it it was amazing
Wow! Erotic, gripping, and totally authentic in the way it "sounds."
Dee Steele
Dee Steele marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Ann Crisi
Ann Crisi marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Jennifer Shaffer
Jennifer Shaffer rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Alan Freeman
Alan Freeman rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Matt Moore
Matt Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Heather Bireley
Heather Bireley marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Cindy Feldhiser
Cindy Feldhiser marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Tonya Tack
Tonya Tack rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Courtney Wendleton
Courtney Wendleton marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
gracetwin
gracetwin rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Buffy Naillon
Buffy Naillon marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2014
Lance Colie
Lance Colie marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Sally Lee
Sally Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
akc
akc marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Deb G.
Deb G. added it
Aug 04, 2013
free book 1 1 Aug 02, 2012 11:37AM
I've wanted to be an author since I was in second grade and fell in love with "The Three Musketeers", which I read to pieces. It hasn't been a swashbuckling life exactly, but one full of surprises, including recently selling my literary papers to Michigan State University's Libraries.

Since second grade, I've loved all sorts of books and have ended up writing nineteen books in many genres: memoir,
More about Lev Raphael...