Start by marking “Daphnis und Chloe” as Want to Read:
Daphnis und Chloe

Daphnis und Chloe

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  989 ratings  ·  62 reviews
"Eine Liebesschule besonderer, tieferer Art, die Sexualität nicht verteufelt oder vergötzt, sondern sie als natürlichen Teil des Eros darzustellen weiß und dem Eros die schönste Huldigung erweist, die man sich denken kann. Ein Buch, das sich auf dem Schulplan der dreizehnjährigen Mädchen und der fünfzehnjährigen Jungen finden sollte. Es sagt am Anfang von sich, es wolle de ...more
Published (first published 150)

To ask other readers questions about Daphnis und Chloe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daphnis und Chloe

Benji
Things like this make me lament the difference in curriculum between what I studied in school in the US and what my friend studied in Italy in Lecce. At least I'm aware that I missed out, and so I have to fill in the gaps! The way I do so is through this: the Penguin Classics list I found on Wikipedia (see below for the links)

And this is exactly one of the kinds of books that make me glad to have this list to refer to when I choose the next book to read--especially since most of them are free an
Jan-Maat
A shepherd and a shepherdess fall in love in those ancient days before this became a literary trope.

They are even more innocent than the sheep they herd and have no idea how to satisfy their feelings. They ask an old woman for help. She cackles and tells them that they have to sleep together. So the couple go back to the field, lie down together and fall asleep. They wake up and feel as unsatisfied as before.

Oh and there are some pirates too.

Enjoyable.
Etienne Mahieux
Ce sont deux brefs (voire très brefs) romans grecs de l'époque hellénistique ; comme c'est leur seul point commun, c'est le sujet de la Préface.
"Daphnis et Chloé" est une idylle pastorale absolument charmante, au style tout en légèreté, aux détails évocateurs. Les héros sont un jeune chevrier et une jeune bergère, prix d'excellence de leurs professions respectives, qui tombent tout naturellement amoureux à l'âge des premiers émois. Seulement voilà : ils ne savent nullement comment s'y prendre po
Paul Bard
The greatest pastoral novel ever written. This book is the progenitor of every summer's pop songs which promise eternal love in the fever of the adolescent. This book is the synctium of the entire literature of every Renaissance ever lived through. This book is the archetype of rebirth and nature.

Compare it to Lucretiuses' Re Rerum Natura and it improves Lucretius.

Compare it to Shakespeare's As You Like It, and the Bard's play proves to be only a sophisticated fourfold expansion of the basic plo
Rhys
I bought this book twenty years and took it with me to Greece, as it seemed appropriate reading matter for a bucolic holiday.

It is one of the seven surviving novels, five Greek and two in Latin, from Classical Times. This is one of the Greek ones and it's one of the best of the seven. I plan to read them all again.

It's an utterly charming story about two young foundlings who grow up together and fall in love. It's typical of the style of the Ancient Greek novels, being full of adventures, pirate
Megan Hoag
The most original, and in my opinion, most beautiful love story ever put into words (do not take that statement too seriously, I've probably read a total of 3 or 4 love stories in my lifetime and 2 of them were probably about animals or trees and whatnot).
I'm mildly obsessed with Ancient Greece, and somehow I am more grateful for the survival of this text than any other. Additionally, the tale is highly relevant to all genders, species, ages, etc. If you read the novel in its entirety, you will
Barnaby Thieme
One of the great ironies of world literature is that the sole extant novel by the Greek author Longus is actually quite short.

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system ....

"Daphnis and Chloe" is one of the quintessential works of the Hellenistic period, and it's tempting to conclude with the classicists of the 19th century, reading this trifle, that Hellenism was a period of decadence in Greek culture. We've come a long way from Aeschylus and Homer, to this artful pastoral diversion writ
Andrada
I didn’t know quite what to expect from this ancient pastoral romance, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. It’s sweet and amusing at times and while there are some faults in its logic – such as Daphnis’ seduction by Lycaenion – overall, I was both touched and entertained by it. The translation was fairly smooth and the style was not as dry as is the case with some ancient writers(whether it’s the fault of the author or of the translator remains a mystery). A lovely read!
Cassandra Kay Silva
This was a beautiful work of literature. The images and characters were very memorable. It had an earthy tone to it and was a great book to pick up for a single sitting that could be read and enjoyed many times again. It reminds me so much of what love feels like to the young.
Lia
Dafnis y Cloe es una novela llena de inocencia acerca de lo que es el amor, y nuestros protagonistas se enamoran uno del otro, sin haber escuchado nunca antes del Amor.
La sencillez de la novela, los diálogos, el amor puro y sincero que se tienen entre todos, es algo que no había visto antes. También, podemos ver las costumbre de la Antigua Grecia, y cómo antes también había problemas con el amor.

No sé cómo expresar todo lo qué siento por Dafnis y Cloe, pero sin duda alguna, es que es de ese tipo
Veronika KaoruSaionji
I read this story because Mishima´s novel Sound of waves could be inspirated by it (said by Donald Keene). Yes, there are some similarity - but they are very different story.
This old novel is about love between two innocent country children, boy Dafnis is 15-16 yers old during this story and girl Chloe is 13-14 years old. They know absolutely nothing about love or sex. Old friendly man tell them that if they are in love, so they should sleep together, also they (innocently) sleep and so on. :o)
Denise
I always enjoy a good tale, a myth, and Dafnis and Chloe's love story was particularly charming. It was funny how they tried to make love but didn't know how, it was cute how they always found ways to see each other, even in winter time when all the peasants were trapped inside of their houses... but what is a legend if no one gets hanged, turned into rock or gets to die in a rather spectacular fashion? Even the bad guys got away (what happened to Lycaenium?) or became good guys (Gnathon, who, a ...more
Philip Swain
Excellent tale. Reminds me a lot of my pubescent fumblings. I could actually feel myself aching on behalf of poor Daphnis. Loses it way just a little towards the end, but alls well that ends well. If you have shied away from classical literature because you considered it altogether too high-brow, then this book will calm your fears. It's not too long, and the Greek names are more or less pronounceable.
Lena Chilari
,,Ne-am sărutat și nimic nu s-a schimbat, ne-am strâns în brațe, dar nici asta nu ne-a fost de nici de un folos. Astfel, să ne culcăm goi împreună este singurul leac care ne-a mai rămas. Trebuie să-l încercăm, fie ce-o fi! Trebuie să fie în asta ceva mai bun decât un sărut.,, -_-
Martin
I was a little leery of returning to Ancient Greek Literature - bad memories from high school - but Daphnis & Chloe was surprisingly enjoyable. Two teenagers all hot and bothered and in love but knowing how to consumate their love makes for very interesting storytelling. Also, the fact that they are both orphans, Chloe suckled by a sheep, Daphnis suckled by a goat, both taken in by slave families to be raised as herders all makes for a Greek soap opera that is really quite a good story. Thro ...more
Aimee
This is one of the most adorable Greek novels I've ever read. It's said to be one of the first Greek stories that's a true novel (and not an epic poem or a scripted play), and while this shows in some of the narrative ("deus ex machina" is its largest criticism, but the style of the novel itself is renowned for its artificialism, so this didn't bother me at all), I still liked reading it. The pastoral landscape and endearing, adorable characters are what drive the story. The plot may be simple, ...more
Krystyne
I read this in my Greek and Roman lit class. It was a cute and romantic story. However, I sold the book afterwards lol.
Nathan
Two proto-novels in the meet cute, voyage, pirate abduction, separation, enslavement, escape, brigandage, imprisonment, premature burial, forced marriage, failed crucifixtion, torture, revenge, inheritance, missed opportunities, mysterious recognition and return to happily ever after tradition.

Both read like a back-of-the-program synopsis to an Elizabethan play, which is probably how they were best used.
Miya
I read this book when I was a teenage, it became one of my favorites and read it several times
John
I'm ashamed to admit that I only recently discovered the story of Daphnis and Chloe. Still better late than never, for it's a real joy.

I'm reading the Loeb edition (I'm a Greek Geek), but if you're not into Greek, there are probably much better English translations - Loeb books have the Greek and English on facing pages, but the English tends to be very literal (to the point of sometimes verging on the unimaginative).

But whatever version you read, if this story of slowly developing love and sexu
Eric Nguyen
A firm and lasting definition of love and a story about love.
Gizella Caicedo
El primer libro que leí en mi vida, de hay comenzó este amor
Sara Walker
Okay, I know this is an ancient book and I know it's based off of a painting... but it's really boring. I've read a lot of ancient stuff (I'm in a class focused on ancient writings after all) and this is by far the one I dislike most so far. There are some points that are dangerous a scary, but the gods fix everything within two pages. *sigh* If you want to read something more exciting that is ancient, read "The Odyssey." Much more thrilling and fun.
Connie
Having spent much of my life in education, both as a student sitting in the desk and as a teacher/administrator behind the lectern, I am not sure how I never came across this book on any reading list...especially as I was an English Literature/Humanities major. I can see how it 'might' have been considered a bit risque a few years back but not really any more so than many literary pieces of the time I read....I'm glad I finally ran across it.
Red
rue du commerce
Juancharly Fa
Amor idílico, amor pastoril, amor ingenuo, amor inocente, amor puro. Cuando se experimenta una emoción que no se puede expresar ésta se convierte en una carga que sólo se aliviará con su realización. Nuestros protagonistas Dafnis y Cloe viven bajo la influencia del dios del amor y la pasión Eros, mejor conocido como Cupido, sin estar conscientes de ello; su inocencia es su maldición.
Steve Morrison
Enchanting, charming love story. Surprisingly earthy as the foundation of pastoral romance, a genre I've always associated with prettiness and porcelain. Having the jealous gay guy rescue the hero's girl in order to impress him was a pretty brilliant move. Overall, the tenderly colored joys of discovering those first blossomings of love is what makes this book special. It made me smile.
Edward Butler
Don't get me wrong, I *love* Daphnis and Chloe, but one should know that the Loeb edition (at least the one I have) has a very antiquated translation (1657!) that is scarcely modified. I wouldn't normally mind this, especially inasmuch as it is very faithful to the Greek text, but it lapses into Latin for the dirty bits! Which isn't very friendly.

Christina
awwwwwwww! how cute are two shepards in love, but they don't know what's happening to them, 'cause they never heard of eros? i know it sounds corny and the reason i read it in the first place was 'cause i'm learning ancient greek and we translated a couple passages, but it's one of those love stories you just know is gonna turn out all right in the end.
  • Callirhoe
  • Sextus Empiricus: Outlines of Scepticism
  • Idylls
  • The Pot of Gold and Other Plays
  • The Fall of Troy
  • Homer: Odyssey II, Books 13-24 (Loeb Classical Library, #105)
  • Lysis/Symposium/Gorgias (Loeb Classical Library 166)
  • Plato I: Euthyphro. Apology. Crito. Phaedo. Phaedrus. (Loeb Classical Library, #36)
  • Jason and the Golden Fleece (The Argonautica)
  • Odes and Epodes (Loeb Classical Library)
  • Virgil, Vol 2: Aeneid Books 7-12, Appendix Vergiliana (Loeb Classical Library, #64)
  • The Odes
  • Epistles 1-65 (Loeb Classical Library®)
  • On Sparta
Longus, sometimes Longos (Greek: Λόγγος), was a Greek novelist and romancer, and author of Daphnis and Chloe. Very little is known of his life, and it is assumed that he lived on the isle of Lesbos during the 2nd century AD.
More about Longus...
Three Greek Romances Антични романи Antikiniai romanai ir pasakėčios The Greek Romances of Heliodorus, Longus, and Achilles Tatius: Comprising the Ethiopics, Or, Adventures of Theagenes and Chariclea; The Pastoral Amour Cuatro novelas de amor

“For there was never any yet that wholly could escape love, and never shall there be any, never so long as beauty shall be, never so long as eyes can see.” 4 likes
“For this will cure him that is sick, and rouse him that is in dumps; one that has loved, it will remember of it; one that has not, it will instruct. For there was never any yet that wholly could escape love, and never shall there be any, never so long as beauty shall be, never so long as eyes can see. But help me that God to write the passions of others; and while I write, keep me in my own right wits.” 2 likes