Start by marking “Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)” as Want to Read:
Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)

Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers #3)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,021 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews
From the Diary of Leonie Noirot: The perfect corset should invite its undoing . . .

Lethally charming Simon Fairfax, Marquess of Lisburne, has reluctantly returned to London for one reason only: a family obligation. Still, he might make time for the seduction of a certain redheaded dressmaker—but Leonie Noirot hasn't time for him. She's obsessed with transforming his cousin
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published June 24th 2014 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Vixen in Velvet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vixen in Velvet

Mary C. *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
Review to come

Ahoy! A return of the old Loretta Chase whose works readers fell in love with. :)

Why yes, what a great read this is. The third book to Loretta Chase's The Dressmakers quartet, I am again fascinated by the juxtaposition of character traits, its later reversal, and final revelation of the truth.

Side note: It is surprising to see an aristocratic hero actually having a kind and loving father. This is a rare occurrence in historical romance, so I'm delighted. :)
Nymeria
 photo large_zpsa9d6a074.gif

I have several Loretta Chase books on my "Favorites" bookshelf but I haven't been too happy with her recent work. She's always striven to write in what I call a "Heyer style" and that doesn't pay off anymore. Her older books used to have some seriousness mixed with the humor and it gave them depth. Her recent books (and this one in particular) have been 100% levity with 0 stakes. There's no emotional pay-off for the reader and the stories and characters aren't interesting enough to carry the bo
Caz
I’ve enjoyed the previous two novels in this series (which I’ve listened to rather than read), but I think this might be my favourite of the series so far. It’s one of those books I found hard to put down and couldn’t help gobbling up, no matter how much I wanted to read it slowly so it didn’t come to an end!

Leonie is the youngest of the three Noirot sisters, and in the absence of Marcelline (who is unwell due to her being in a delicate condition) and Sophy (who is on an extended wedding trip) i
Joana V.
Jun 23, 2016 Joana V. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meus
3.5/3.75?

Review completa em: http://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2016/...
Full review: http://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2016/...

(...)
Com uma vida agora um pouco diferente das suas irmãs, Leonie sente-se algo abandonada com a loja dos vestidos e com a instituição de caridade que ela e as suas irmãs tinham criado. Não que as culpe, de todo, mas ainda que Leonie perceba e apoie as suas irmãs, vê-se um pouco perdida no novo panorama dos casamentos que se realizam à sua volta. Apesar de tudo, esta mulher e
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
May 04, 2015 Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in The Dressmakers series and it is a delightful blend of engaging story, charming characters and delicious sensuality. Loretta Chase is a wordsmith, par excellence...every word is carefully crafted to produce writing that flows as smoothly as one of Maison Noirot’s exquisite creations and dialogue that sparkles with wit and humour.

Here are just a few of the things that I really loved.

description
Leonie Noirot

Watching the business first, last and always Leonie trying to resist the dev
Cathy
Apr 19, 2016 Cathy rated it it was ok
I'm beginning to think the first book in this series ruined me for all that came after. Which is odd, because usually the first book is not one of my favourites in series. However, because I loved Silk is for Seduction, my expectations were raised considerably and haven't been entirely met so far.

I prefer a bit more of a decent set-up between the couple, instead of them meeting and involuntarily falling into each other's arms on the very first page. Marcelline and Clevedon had a much better set-
Iliada

This wasn't any worse than the previous two books in the series, but I do feel like I've read the same book three times now.

Lady Clara's book seems promising though as she's a completely different type of heroine than the dressmakers. The hero seems like a different sort as well, with an actual job this time. Looking forward to it!
Caz
My review of the book is HERE.

I've had this audiobook for a few months, but haven't had time to listen to all of it until now. Not surprisingly, it's fabulous, a terrific combination of great writing and a superlative performance from the highly talented Kate Reading. She has a real knack for bringing out the subtleties of the humour and a fabulous dead-pan delivery that really suits Ms Chase's dry wit.

Highly recommended.
Titinha Scaeiro
4,5 adoreiiiiiiiii o Simon... Primeiro protagonista da Chase que gosto... Ele é tãooooo fofo :D

Opinião:
"Pela primeira vez depois de terminar a leitura de um livro da série, já foram editados 3, dei pulos de contente porque... Gostei do protagonista, gostei, gostei e gostei.
Não sei se será por ter o nome de Simon, normalmente protagonistas com este nome são bons personagens ou se depois da autora escrever 2 protagonistas meio "nhé", na minha opinião claro, conseguiu criar um maravilhoso.
Porém mai
Booknut
Witty & heartfelt, Vixen in Velvet is as stunning as a well-made ballgown.

A feisty, charitable dressmaker meets a rogue with a penchant for charming distractions, in a tale that features everything from mystery and intrigue, to trips to the circus.

For me, the mark of a truly entertaining historical fiction novel is its wit. Is it effortless? Does it make me smile? Bonus points if it makes me laugh out loud. Vixen in Velvet ticked all the boxes, especially in this scene (where our rogue find
Drea (LilyElement Reviews)
Oct 02, 2014 Drea (LilyElement Reviews) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelf, arc, contest
Leonie Noirot is all about numbers, plans, and designing the perfect corset. With her older sisters either ill with morning sickness or waiting in France for scandal to die down on a wedding trip, Leonie must keep their dressmaking business Maison Noirot afloat. And she has a plan to bring in even more business—advertisement at the one place all the impressionable young women will be at, a poetry reading by current darling Lord Swanton. The Marquess of Lisburne’s goal is to keep Swanton from the ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 11, 2016 Jacob Proffitt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, steamy
Again, as a later part of a tightly-intertwined series, you really should read the others first. And having done so you'll know mostly what to expect in terms of setting, characters, and even plot. This is not a bad thing.

Leonie being the last helped with some of the issues of the second because with her gone, that's pretty much it for their shop. So the existential nature of the conflict is restored and with the added spice that it's Simon who represents that threat in potentially taking Leonie
BJ Rose
Oct 23, 2015 BJ Rose rated it it was amazing
I was so entranced with Simon's unique solution at the end that I added 1/2* to my rating, so a weak 5*. Why weak for this delightful read? I really like the descriptive segments (they are dressmakers after all), but at the same time I found myself turned off by the styles themselves - I usually dream about wearing the dresses described, but just couldn't get excited about many of them.
Suzanne
Jun 18, 2014 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-l-chase

Leonie Noirot is the the youngest of the trio of sisters in Loretta Chases' Dressmaker Series, who establish a dressmaking business in London, and aspire to making it the premier shop for ladies of the aristocracy. Unlike her sisters, the creative designer Marcelline and the imaginative publicist Sophie, Leonie is a businesswoman at heart, methodical, a driven workaholic, and supposedly lacking in romantic sensibility. However, beneath Leonie's businesslike veneer beats the heart of an innocent
Lady Wesley
Nov 18, 2014 Lady Wesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2014-faves
I enjoyed listening to the audio version of this book as much as I did reading it. Kate Reading is an excellent narrator; she has voices for a wide variety of characters -- she can even distinguish between the three Noirot sisters in the brief scenes where they're all together.
Amanda
Meh. That’s the best response I have concerning this book.

I liked garnet haired Leonie and how she was the pragmatic, ‘sensible’ one of the Noirot sisters. The scenes where she tallied up figures, took down lists on ruler lined paper and got upset when certain loutish lords mussed up her very ordered life were especially fun. However I found Lisburne to be quite shallow and forgettable as a hero, much like the wonky conspiracy/blackmail plot at the story’s center; both left me seriously unimpres
steph
LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT.

But Clara's story. I have been waiting since book one and the more we see of her the more I want her story and after her cousin Gladys in this one, well. I NEED CLARA'S STORY STAT LORETTA CHASE!
Beth
Apr 25, 2016 Beth rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
This is entertaining enough, but it's so simple and uncomplicated - there's next to no conflict, and the family is absent, which means Leonie faces everything alone. It's almost boring, and it feels like it's going through the motions.
Winter Sophia Rose
May 08, 2016 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, Sexy, Engaging, Fast Paced, & Heartwarming! An Excellent Read! I Loved It!
Angelc
Aug 12, 2014 Angelc rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-own-read
This was a really fun romance, and there were quite a few things that I loved about it! However, the romance between the two main characters was only okay for me.

I loved that Leonie was a dressmaker and that so much detail was given to the historical clothing and the buzzing business in her dress shop.

The other aspect that I absolutely loved was the supporting characters- Swanton and Gladys! Swanton is a poet who's star is on the rise in London, all the ladies are absolutely in love with him and
Audrey
Jul 01, 2014 Audrey rated it liked it
Let me begin with a caveat: I love Loretta Chase. Last Night's Scandal is one of my favorite romances of all time. She is indisputably one of the best writers in the genre.

But unfortunately Vixen in Velvet just didn't live up to its predecessors for me. It took me about five days to finish the book, and usually I'm an up-all-night romance reader. At first I couldn't pinpoint why. I loved Leonie, I loved Simon. And Loretta Chase's writing is always divine.

Then it occurred to me: There's no confl
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
3.5 Stars

Vixen in Velvet is the final book in the Dressmakers trilogy which focuses on a trio of French sisters who operate Maison Noirot, a popular dress shop in London. Readers have already seen the two oldest sisters (Marchelline and Sophy) receive their happily ever afters so it is now time for business-minded Leonie to take center stage.

Leonie is the sister who focuses on the financial side of the business while her sisters were more creative or public relations-minded. Maison Noirot is the
Tin
Jun 10, 2014 Tin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Disclosure: I received this ARC through Edelweiss. Thank you to Avon and Loretta Chase for the opportunity. Yes, this is an honest review.

The benefits of being the youngest and having one of the last story in a series is that Leonie's character has been developing gradually through her sisters's stories and she always fascinated me with her efficiency and her effectivity.

Leonie is all about business. Everything is about the shop, especially now that she is the only one left. Like her sisters, Le
Christiana
Feb 08, 2015 Christiana rated it really liked it
As always, Loretta Chase has created a wonderful love story, this time involving the youngest Noirot sister. The descriptions of the dresses and other sartorial details were very well done and the overall story was entertaining. I just had a hard time believing that Leonie was only 21 years old, she sounded so much more mature, regardless the time period.
We see a bit of Marcelline but not of Sophie, although Clara is featured quite a lot as she's Lady Gladys' cousin.
I liked Seduction in Silk mor
Marilyn Rondeau
Jul 10, 2014 Marilyn Rondeau rated it really liked it
Simon Blair, Marquess of Lisburne, has reluctantly returned to London for one reason only – family obligation. Still after a chance meeting in the museum, Simon was re-thinking his obligations to include time for the seduction of a fascinating redheaded dressmaker—Leonie Noirot. Leonie on the other hand, has no time for him. She's obsessed with business and transforming his cousin, the dowdy Lady Gladys, into a swan just by addressing all her best assets and dressing her in their shops exquisite ...more
Patricia
Liked the final revelation, but again had some small issues with the hero in comparison to how I felt about the heroine. (one issue was her name. it's very difficult to read kissing scenes and stuff (ahem) when you know people with that name, imo.)
Katie(babs)
Jun 23, 2014 Katie(babs) rated it really liked it
Loretta Chase writes some of the best smitten heroes in romance. A "smitten" hero is a man who falls head first in love with the heroine because she is everything wonderful and amazing. So is this case with Vixen in Velvet. The "vixen" is Leonie, a seamstress, and the last unmarried sister (both her sisters married very well, and to titled gentlemen). Leonie lives and breathes fashion and creating beautiful dresses.

One day she is at an art museum and is in awe of a painting, owned by Simon Blai
Dawn
Jul 05, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: chase-loretta
Keri
Aug 04, 2014 Keri rated it really liked it
A lot of fun meet cute instances in the book. I some of Simon's quips about his cousin's emotionalism was pretty funny, especially when his cousin would agree with him.
Aly is so frigging bored
Dec 03, 2014 Aly is so frigging bored rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Loved it! I think this one was the best in the series.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 25, 2015 08:14PM
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • Rogue Spy (Spymasters #5)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • Lord of Wicked Intentions (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #3)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Season for Scandal (Holiday Pleasures, #3)
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston, #1)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)
  • A Taste for Scandal (Sealed With a Kiss, #2)
  • How to School Your Scoundrel (A Princess In Hiding, #3)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • Moonlight On My Mind (Second Sons, #3)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London
  • When the Marquess Met His Match (An American Heiress in London, #1)
  • The Temptation of Your Touch (Burke Brothers, #2)
  • The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane (Rhymes With Love, #4)
Loretta Lynda Chekani was born in 1949, of Albanian ancestry. For her, the trouble started when she learned to write in first grade. Before then, she had been making up her own stories but now she knew how to write them down to share. In her teenage years, she continue to write letters, keep a journal, write poetry and even attempt the Great American Novel (still unfinished). She attended New Engl ...more
More about Loretta Chase...

The Dressmakers (4 books)
  • Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
  • Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers, #2)
  • Dukes Prefer Blondes (The Dressmakers, #4)

“Did you think to have me against a tree in Hyde Park? On a public footpath?”

“I was not exactly thinking,” he said. “And how could you expect me to, under the onslaught of you?”

She rolled her eyes and turned away and marched down the footpath. “I can’t believe you’re playing injured innocence. Did I throw myself at you, my lord?”

“No, and it’s extremely inconsiderate of you not to, when I’ve taken such great pains to make myself attractive to you. Why must I always be the one to make advances? Why can’t you make a little more effort?”
0 likes
“Charm of the most insidious kind: humorous, self-deprecating, and disarmingly frank and confiding.” 0 likes