Start by marking “Private Deception” as Want to Read:
Private Deception

Private Deception (Jade O'Reilly)

Sassy private investigator Jade O’Reilly thinks she’s hit rock bottom when, in the midst of obtaining photos of a cheating spouse in a second-story apartment, she falls off a swing set to the feet of an attractive mystery man. But the next day, when Jade discovers the man’s identity—he’s a detective with the local Sweetwater, NC, police—she learns that the cheating spouse ...more
Published July 30th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Private Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Private Deception

J. Morgan
Aug 05, 2012 J. Morgan rated it it was amazing
This is an engaging, character driven mystery. Jade is complex enough to be interesting, but not so complex you get tired of her—if that makes any sense. My favorite character was Mack. His portrayal in the book was perfect. He added the perfect conflict element for Jade.

The storyline was solid and had enough twists that I kept guessing who “done it”—and I kept guessing wrong, much to my delight. I’m fearful of revealing too much, because I’d hate to spoil the ride Ward takes us on in this book
Cate Dean
Aug 13, 2012 Cate Dean rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Getting to know Jade was such a great experience, as the layers of her life are revealed, and how what happened in her past affects her present. I don't read mysteries often, because I have a habit of guessing the ending about halfway through the story. But Tamara Ward is a genius at throwing red herrings, and this kept me guessing up to the end.

I can't wait for the next installment!

Note: I received an ARC from the author without any expectation of a review.
Lori McD
3-3.5 stars

This is the first full-length book featuring Jade O'Reilly, a 20-something Private Investigator. She's hired to prove that Bill, a lawyer, is cheating on his wife, Evelyn. And boy, does Jade get some great pictures of Bill and Candy, his mistress! She also runs into the latest Sweetwater detective, Keith - handsome, but all business.

Then it turns out that Bill was shot and killed minutes after Keith asked her to leave private property... now Jade's a suspect, although it's more likely
Penelope Bartotto
Apr 19, 2013 Penelope Bartotto rated it it was amazing
I was first introduced to Tamara Ward and her fabulous character Jade O'Reilly in the book Tales From The Mist and was immediately captivated by the character and the writer's talent. When Tamara mentioned to me that there were full length novels and shorts to be enjoyed, I was on board faster than a pirate following a barrel of rum.
Jade is a very enigmatic character that Ward has worked very well on crafting in a way that she is both likable and yet spunky enough to be approachable from a male
Adrienne Testa
May 16, 2013 Adrienne Testa rated it liked it
Jade O'Reilly,private investigator, a runaway teenager, a waitress, a dead man from years ago, a legal assistant and a dead lawyer are all characters in this story that twists and turns until the killer is revealed. Jade O'Reilly is new at being a private investigator when her case goes from following a cheating husband to finding who murder him. When her boss insists she and her co worker find a missing teen. The story bogs down, with Jade dealing with her ex finance and her brothers. And, dea ...more
Peach
Aug 23, 2012 Peach rated it really liked it
This is the first full-length book in the series following the sleuth trial of private investigator, Jade O'Reilly. The search for the truth behind the homicide of a lawyer, coupled with an ancillary storyline to locate and return a 17-year-old runaway to her mother, was engaging with its twists and turns. Jade was quite an emotionally scarred character with a troubled past in her teenage years as a result of the violent deaths of her parents. The romance in the story could have been better as t ...more
Jean
Sep 03, 2016 Jean rated it really liked it

Suspense and Humor..

Jade O'Reilly, the female lead and private investigator is on a cheating husband assignment.

The husband ends up murdered and Jade is a suspect.

Jade thinks that the detective on the murder case is hot and she ends up head over heels at his feet, literally.

Jade was a strong, smart, funny lead.

The characters were written well, the book has humor and suspense that keeps the reader guessing to the very end. .

Julie Hoverson did a good job with the narration.

Note:
"This audiobook
Dale Amidei
Jun 05, 2013 Dale Amidei rated it it was amazing
Tamara Ward snares her reader from the first page as Private Investigator Jade O'Reilly works the deceptively peaceful town of Stillwater. Soon, the discovery of the body of a man suspected of infidelity combines with the case of a missing teenager to turn Jade's life into a whirlwind of sleuthing--one matched only by the turbulent emotions generated by her off-hours life. Solving multiple homicides takes on new importance when Jade becomes a suspect herself. Clearing her case load becomes a mat ...more
Yvonne
Jul 07, 2015 Yvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Ward is an "Amazing" story tseller.

Normally I am not a fan of female detectives PI's etc. However Jade didn't pretend to be all bad. Great character. I loved this story because it had spice, intrigue, mystery, and two male macho jerks that everyone with the exception of their supervisors seemed to know. I disliked Jade's boss for the Super male pig that he was. President of the "Good Old Boys Club." Oh by the way I disliked him so much I can't remember his name. Great read.
Rebecca
Oct 22, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-free
If it weren't for my dissatisfaction with the ending, this book would have earned more stars. It is a well-written mystery and I thought more of it than I often do of PI mysteries.

But unfortunately the case is solved more by coincidence than sleuthing. I prefer mysteries that rely on careful interpretation of the clues, where I can try to solve the mystery myself as it proceeds.

But because I liked the characters and it was well written otherwise, I would be interested in more from this series a
Steve
Mar 01, 2016 Steve rated it did not like it
I gave it two hundred pages. At that point, it was abundantly clear that it was time to set this one aside. One star is for main character PI with some depth. The cons include a murder victim about whom we know only profession and questionable behavior. Virtually every other character is one-dimensional stereotype, the floozy, the deceased's odd spouse, but the men are worse, the hunk cop, the town rich guy, the selfish partner, the overbearing cop. Lousy even if it's chick lit.
Kathyk21
Dec 28, 2012 Kathyk21 rated it really liked it
Private Deception is a very enjoyable mystery. Jade O'Reilly is believable and very easy to like. As a private investigator, Jade encounters some prejudice, some danger, many red herrings, lots of frustration, and moments of embarrassment. The mysteries of a missing teen and a lawyer's murder are nicely constructed. Tamara Ward has created a heroine who will be fun to follow.
Frank Richardson
May 18, 2013 Frank Richardson rated it really liked it
Weell, at the author's request, I will be happy to write a review of Tamara Ward's mystery which involves a private detective named Jade O'Reilly (I think) and solving 2 murders and a mysterious newspaper clipping from years ago in a small North Carolina coastal town. This is one quick enjoyable read!
Frank
Seth Tucker
May 10, 2015 Seth Tucker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read. Jade O'Reilly is a fun, interesting character. I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery in this book. When Tamara Ward promises fun to read adventures, she isn't lying. A nice mystery with a fun protagonist.
C.C. MacKenzie
Nov 06, 2012 C.C. MacKenzie rated it it was amazing
Loved this.

Jade is a wonderful character, full of spunk with quick and sassy one liners that made me laugh. Ms Ward is brilliant at writing the romantic element in suspense and making it believable.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
Rhonda
Aug 18, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mystery/suspense
Loved it! Jade O'Reilly is a great character. She's like-able and spunky. The characters were well developed. The fast-paced action kept me turning the pages. A very fun read that I highly recommend. I can't wait to read the next in the series.
Jean Legge
Sep 05, 2014 Jean Legge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read

I liked the quick beginning of action and character development without lengthy superfluous wordiness just to fill pages. I enjoyed it and did find myself reading quickly!
Alicia Street
Aug 24, 2012 Alicia Street rated it it was amazing
Jade O'Reilly is a fun character that you can't help but like. She's a smart tomboy with her share of vulnerabilities. I liked the warm touches of her caring, teasing brothers and the romantic elements that keep you guessing as much as the suspenseful murder mystery. A great read.
Anne
Aug 12, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
I liked this book better that I thought I would. Not a glowing endorsement. But it was probably 3.5 stars to me but I erred on generosity. I'll read more sometime.
Renee
Aug 22, 2012 Renee rated it really liked it
Looking forward to #2. Good character development and story.
Kathleen Crowell
Sep 08, 2012 Kathleen Crowell rated it liked it
It wasn't a shocking mystery/conclusion. Jade is very similar to Stephanie Plum. I like TW, but I'm not sure I'm in the mood to read more so so mystery/romance series. Easy and enjoyable though.
Forton
Forton rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Carla
Carla rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
Tessa
Tessa rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2013
Joanne
Joanne rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2014
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2017
NV rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Murder Deja Vu
  • Family Secrets (A Cop in the Family, #1)
  • In Deep Shitake (Shitake Mystery, #1)
  • Doggone Dead (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #3)
  • The Ex Who Wouldn't Die (Charley's Ghost, #1)
  • The Temporary Detective (Isobel Spice #1)
  • Uncaged
  • If Errands Could Kill (Minivan Mom Mystery, #1)
  • The Heat of the Moon (Rachel Goddard Mystery #1)
  • Creamed at the Coffee Cabana (Sweet Home #1)
  • Murphy's Law (Bounty Hunter, #1)
  • Blown Away, The Final Chapter (Walk the Right Road, #5)
  • Blueberry Hill: a Sister's Story
  • The Shadow Chaser
  • Aces Wild (Angels Avengers #1)
  • Mimi's Mix  - A Book from each series!
  • Calculated Loss
  • Got Thrills? A Boxed Set
Amazon Bestselling Mystery and Romantic Suspense Author Tamara Ward’s storyline and characters combine for fun, fast-paced, can’t-put-it-down reads. Her published mystery novels include Private Deception, Hidden Betrayal, Storm Surge, and Silver Flashing.

In her mysteries, you’ll find characters who keep readers hooked, strong-willed women sleuths, and a sprinkling of humor.

For more information,
More about Tamara Ward...

Jade O'Reilly (7 books)
  • Hidden Betrayal (a Jade O'Reilly Mystery)
  • Jade O'Reilly and the Ice Queen (A Sweetwater Short)
  • Concealed Suspicions: A Jade O'Reilly Mystery