Start by marking “Eden's Garden” as Want to Read:
Eden's Garden

Eden's Garden

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
2011

Carys’ dreams for the future are falling apart as she returns to the Snowdonia village where she was born, to look after her mother. But then a chance discovery draws her back into the story of Plas Eden, the huge, ramshackle country house where, at eighteen, she said goodbye to her childhood sweetheart, David Meredith.

The last time Ann was in London she was a spoi
Published March 22nd 2012 by Honno Press (first published March 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Eden's Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eden's Garden

Susan Jones
Jun 27, 2012 Susan Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to believe that this is Juliet Greenwood's first novel. It's the story of two women, Carys and Ann, though it's Carys in the present day that is the main vein of the story. Set in North Wales in the village of Pont yr Eden, I'm sure I know some of these characters who are warm, funny and loveable.

Carys comes home to look after her Mam who is recouping from an operation. At first she wonders why it's her out of the three sisters who gets the job of carer, her boyfriend is quite miffed.

I
Claire McAlpine
Apr 03, 2012 Claire McAlpine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
If you plan on taking a holiday in Cornwall or Wales in the near future I can think of no better accompaniment than this book. Holiday or not, don't hesitate to immerse yourself in this delightful, intriguing tale which unravels family secrets while celebrating women returning to the creative work they were born to do.

Eden's Garden follows Carys in the present day back to her childhood village to attend her mother who is convalescing from a broken hip; she has little choice being the unmarried s
Suze
May 28, 2015 Suze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carys returns to the village of her childhood. Pont-ar-Eden is small and there's a dilapidated estate called Plas Eden. There's a garden with beautiful statues. Plas Eden could have been Carys's home, but she and David split up when she went to university. Years later Carys has to start all over again as she's all of a sudden single and she's back to take care of her mother. Maybe now that she's in Pont-ar-Eden again maybe she and David can become friends again.

Ann has escaped something horrible
Marguerite Kaye
One of the problems with being a writer is that it totally changes the way you read, and that, I think, has meant seriously detracting from my enjoyment of a book that a few years ago I'd have loved. I'm afraid that Eden's Garden is an example of this.

I enjoyed the premise. I really liked the story, and the interweaving of the two times. I liked the amount of women's history in this too, and I thought the atmospheric descriptions were great. I loved the Welsh setting, and the clearly loving des
Aunty Janet
Jul 11, 2014 Aunty Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unusual story set in two eras, brought nicely together with beautiful descriptions of the garden. There is mystery and romance and the story felt well balanced, with interesting characters.
''Two women struggle with love, family duty, long-buried secrets and their own creative ambitions. But more than a hundred years ago Ann left a trail through London, Cornwall and Wales that leads Carys on a tantalising and increasingly shocking search for the truth. What is the connection of the dilapidated no
Carol Lovekin
Jan 08, 2016 Carol Lovekin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second reading of this excellent book. (My original copy was 'borrowed.') Reacquainting myself with the author's characters & settings is like going home. The myth of Blodeuwedd is an enduring one which has been rendered in many & varied forms. In Eden's Garden we are taken along an unusual & captivating path. And from Wales to Cornwall via London & back again by way of an ingenious mystery story. A must for those who like their historical fiction/intrigue - & thei ...more
Elena Hull
Jan 13, 2015 Elena Hull rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free book form J. Greenwood, in exchange for an honest review.
Lovely!..
“Eden’s Garden” is my first book by Juliet Greenwood. I enjoyed reading the book; or I would say, following the story of the two women facing life changing challenges and pushed by life make vast decisions. J. Greenwood writing made me feel comfortable and relaxed; it was like a good friend telling you her story gives enough details and descriptions, and not overbore you, and in the same time keep you intrigued.
Alyson
May 25, 2014 Alyson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three stars seems a little low for my rating, but I can't quite say I 'really' liked it. But neither can I say why not!

It's got strong female characters, good plot, mystery and suspense, and strongly depicted locations. I think my hesitation at raving over it was that I felt there were quite a few cliches in the writing. But then, who am I to criticise?

I would read more from this author, so it's positive really!
Cryssa
Sep 15, 2012 Cryssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this story about two women, Carys and Ann, living at separate times, yet connected by family secrets and Plas Eden and the garden of statues. Eden's Garden is extremely well written, and the author manages the threads of these two separate, yet connected stories, with a deft brush. They mystery around Ann's life unfolds at the right pace, drawing you into who she was and the life she has tried to escape. Carys's ambition for a fulfilling life has driven her to leave behind h ...more
Ann
Aug 05, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dual time novel set in Victorian and the present time. Both enjoyable and well written it should appeal to fans of Rachel Hore and Kate Morton. The two main characters, Ann in the earlier period and Carys in the present, are both likeable and believable though my favourite character is Hodge the Labrador! There is an intriguing family mystery connecting Wales and Cornwall and these settings are vividly portrayed. Unlike some novels of this genre I didn’t find it too long and the action moved a ...more
Allie Cresswell
A pleasing story very reminiscent of The Forgotten Garden. A secret from the past unites an estranged couple in a search for the truth. A small, gossipy Welsh village replete with caricatures, a dilapidated stately home and some very nice descriptions of landscape, flora and art complement the rather darker and mysterious scenes from the past. The author makes a real effort to understand and portray the issues of caring for an elderly parent and the dichotomy which increasingly exists between ag ...more
Ness
Aug 30, 2015 Ness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intelligent chic lit.
Amanda
Nov 24, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book - a love story mixed in with a mystery and hopping between present day and 1898. All tied up with a Welsh house and garden and the people connected with it. Mix in a Victorian husband of the worse kind and you've got a good mystery that carries through right to the end of the book. Highly recommended.
Kathryn
Oct 30, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mysterious statues in a Welsh garden draw the reader into a wonderful story web about the people living and working on the Plas Eden estate. Great cast of characters, an intriguing mystery from the past and beautiful descriptions of place made this an unputdownable read for me.
Paulette
May 20, 2015 Paulette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
the story kept me wanting to know more, right to the end, even though I had worked out the family link before the end
Donna Irwin
Dec 31, 2012 Donna Irwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this inter-linked story of past and present. An intriguing tale. Very well written.
Sandra
Sep 04, 2012 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very pleasant, satisfying read
Judith Barrow
Jun 15, 2012 Judith Barrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read!
Laura Ellison
Laura Ellison marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Beverly McCallum
Beverly McCallum rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Rhonda Curtis
Rhonda Curtis rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2016
Lynne Rogers
Lynne Rogers rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
MC Dalton Author
MC Dalton Author rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Rob Cowen
Rob Cowen rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Anne Harvey
Anne Harvey rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Anne M
Anne M rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Christine Wright
Christine Wright rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
stephen collins
stephen collins rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Kathryn Isaksen
Kathryn Isaksen rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
  • Pattern of Shadows
  • Daffodils (The Katherine Wheel #1)
  • A Sister's Promise
  • The Orchid Tree
  • Victoire: My Mother's Mother
  • The Lagoon: A Collection of Short Stories
  • The Industry of Souls
  • The Persephone Book of Short Stories
  • Vendetta (The Runestone Saga, #2)
  • A Piece of Cake
  • The Time Traveler's Pocket Guide
  • Potop. Tom II
  • A Girl's Best Friend
  • Astonishing the Gods
  • Amenable Women
  • Legends
  • Vesuvius Rising (The Gilded Mirror #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Mindblowing SF
I'm the author of 'We That are Left', set in Cornwall, Anglesey and France during the First World War. It was finished with a Literature Wales Writer's Bursary in 2013 and published by Honno Press in February 2014. 'We That are Left' is the Welsh Books Council's Book of the Month for March, and the Welsh Book of the Month for Waterstones Wales and the National Museums of Wales.

My first book for H
More about Juliet Greenwood...