Start by marking “Seductive Secrets (Secret Lives, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seductive Secrets (Secret Lives, #1)

Seductive Secrets (Secret Lives #1)

3.55  ·  Rating Details ·  2,250 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
Someone wants Alyce Hythe dead…

Shunned from London society for being the daughter of England’s most notorious spy, Alyce Hythe desires only to clear her father’s name. For years, she has been hidden away from all prying eyes, given a new identity and told to forget who she was. But strange things have been happening causing old rumors to once more be whispered. Long has L
Published July 10th 2012 (first published April 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Seductive Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seductive Secrets

Shilo Quetchenbach
Jun 18, 2013 Shilo Quetchenbach rated it did not like it
I actually found the story very interesting - but I really really wish someone else had written it. The writing was TERRIBLE. Possibly the worst-written book I've ever read. I would have put it back down after the first few chapters, but I wanted to know what happened. so, +4 for intriguing story, characters, and situation. -8 for writing.

Some choice examples:

"His lack of fortune hadn't waned their attraction toward each other." and "Dancing gracefully across the dance floor, the music ended."
Feb 17, 2012 Jessy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were many editing problems throughout this book, BUT I couldn't put it down! I read it in one day! It was paced perfectly. I didn't get bored as the story line built up like so many books these days...I recommend this book to people who like romance, deceit, conspiracy and mystery.
Aug 18, 2013 Melanie rated it did not like it
OK, I have to say that I was extremely disappointed with this book. I had put it down to read something else about 5 times. Since I'm not one to not finish a book no matter how crappy I pushed myself the last few days to finish it. It had a lot of potential if it would have been written better. The story was extremely confusing. I'm not going to even try to explain it since it gives me a headache. It was like she tried to write about a love story (and failing) or a who done it. It was like the a ...more
Aug 08, 2012 Christy rated it really liked it
I had trouble putting this story down. It is complex and the characters engaging. There were lots of twists and unexpected turns, but the relationships between characters were well-developed. I had some confusion to find out that Julian had actually been the Lieutenant, and difficultly reconciling the first couple of chapters with that notion. If he took her to his father for safe keeping, why wouldn't he inquire as to her whereabouts afterward. The author tries to reconcile the points but less ...more
Terrible I cannot believe that this is actually a published work. Did no one read this before it was published? There are a host of grammatical issues that get worse throughout the story which ruined the reading. That is something that usually occurs with free e-books I know but then there were the inconsistent pronouns that made it difficult to find out what exactly was happening within a scene.

I must admit I only made it a little over half way through this book and I had to stop because it ma
Amaryllis Turman
Mar 12, 2013 Amaryllis Turman rated it really liked it
This review was previously published on my blog

In this romance story, Alyce is trying to find evidence to prove that her father was murdered instead of committing suicide after killing a fellow officer. If (and it is a big IF) she is able to exonerate him from this, it will also prove that her father was not guilty of espionage and treason. Julian is the grandson of Alyce's guardian. Julian's brother is also the man that Alyce's father allegedly killed.

Of course, Alyce's i
Duchess Paula
Well... where do I begin with this one. The story was ok and the plot was ok, but there is a lot of issues with this one. It is completely lacking in the essence of the age.

The main character, Alyce, has been more or less raised a peasant since the age of 12. Now she's brought back into society and no one knows the wiser. She's thrown into a pretty dress and a tiara and is just openly accepted by the ton. I would assume she would be lacking in their mannerisms, aloofness, social skills... the w
Aug 02, 2012 Jean rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2012 Jenna rated it it was amazing
A good story, and full of thrill and action.....spionage, murder, and a traitor to the crown of England.

Alyce Hythe life was in danger due to her father's past being the notorious spy of England. Strangers are attempting to kill her a few times upon her knowledge of witnessing the murder of her father. Her father died protecting England's secret, but was framed-up by the highest rank in the crown to get the blood money from the war of selling guns to Colonial America.

A page turner just read it
May 11, 2013 Aspoon rated it it was amazing
You have to be a good writer to have a reader fall Unrealistically in love with a character...What I wouldn't give to meet a real Lord Julian Casvelyn. One of my favorite male characters.

This book had a lot of energy from beginning to end. Lot's of twists and turns between the sultry lovemaking. I loved both the hero and the heroine. Great Book!
Apr 10, 2013 Shay rated it it was ok
The book started out well but it needs some major editing. There were some sentences I could not understand because the author added extra words. I'm not sure if it was to sound more formal or just typos. The story was good but became convoluted towards the end. A good copy editor could help this book get to 3 stars easily.
S.R. Roddy
Mar 16, 2013 S.R. Roddy rated it really liked it
Highly recommend this book. It kept me engaged throughout the entire story. It had been a while since I read a nice romantic mystery. I also enjoyed the small paranormal twist. A good read for those who like sweet historical romances that concentrates more on the story line than the sexual attraction of the characters.
Sep 22, 2012 Jessie rated it really liked it

A great read! Loved reading a historical romantic novel again. Lots of twists, turns, secrets uncovered, love & piece of mind with all the men/women in this book. Thanks to the author for such an enjoyable HEA book. This is the first I've read if this author, but it won't be the last!
Taylor Simons
Mar 20, 2013 Taylor Simons rated it it was amazing
This book was AMAZING!!! I loved it and I couldn't put it down. It was that good of a book. I almost died when Alyce almost died. I had to keep reading to make sure she lived and poor Julian didn't live without her.
Leisa Prater
Aug 04, 2012 Leisa Prater rated it it was amazing
I dearly enjoyed this story...I loved Alyce's connection to Charles. I loved the twist of the twins. A very interesting story that I didn't stop until I finished.
Aug 31, 2012 Sherrie rated it really liked it
Great book! It was a fun read and I got it for free from amazon. I would definitely recommend this book! Yes I will read it again later lol.
Dec 23, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
I have to admit I was surprised to see so many negative reviews so I decided to go back and write one myself. I love history and have found that many writers often make mistakes when writing historical fiction. It would be difficult for me to read historical fiction if I always feel the need to nitpick so I have worked really hard to ignore it. That being said I did notice mistakes like the aristocratic titles in this book but it personally didn't distract me much from the story. My copy had no ...more
Apr 27, 2013 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I'm very divided on this book. It's not a Regency-era book. It's late-Georgian. There's only one reference to the period at the very end.

This is not a happy, fluffy romance. It's not dark, but it is a mystery with conspiracies, political intrigue and a few deaths. That doesn't necessarily make it bad. There were some editing issues, but not many. I did not like the three, yes, three sex scenes. They really had plenty of time to get married. He had the special license in his pocket for a while, t
This book gave me a headache! I tried to get in to this story, I really did, but it was so confusing. Trying to figure out who everyone was seemed my biggest challenge. Some characters had more than one name...and I do get that in historical romance that is a given, but once they are introduced choose one or the other. This author kept using both names at different points in the story and it was so hard to keep up.
I can't even begin to try and explain this story. Yes the basic premise of it I u
Jan 16, 2014 Mel rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by this author and she didn't disappoint. The writing style takes a little getting use to but the plot was different... I like that. At one point I was surprised at one of the twists in the storyline, which isn't usual for me. I don't like spoilers so I'll leave it at that, but I enjoy it when something happens that I don't see coming. I got this book on sale and tried it out, and would definitely purchase this author in the future.
Iva Rothman
Jan 27, 2014 Iva Rothman rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. There were times when I couldn't stop reading. The Author makes you have feelings toward the different characters. Some I hated, some I loved. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys a bit of romance, suspense and mystery.
Jackie Williams
Mar 24, 2013 Jackie Williams rated it really liked it
This lovely story has a complicated plot line. There are so many twists that it's hard to keep up on occasions, but it's worth sticking with as the building romance is wonderful. Julian and Alyce are perfect for each other.

I liked how the serious subject of war and post traumatic stress are brought up in just a sentence or two but obviously impact on the whole story.

The characters are distinctly drawn and the relationship between Charles and his secretary is beautifully written.

4* book because a
Jacqueline Perez
Jan 31, 2014 Jacqueline Perez rated it it was amazing
Worthy of a good movie!

Even though the beginning was a bit slow for my taste, I still found myself wanting to read more, this book was spectacular!!!!!
May 27, 2014 Jacque rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
Wow this needed an editor! Some of the worst grammar I've seen in a book in a long while
Sheila Dool
Feb 08, 2014 Sheila Dool rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I don't read many historical romance stories but this was very good. There was a lot of action and twists and turns. I was quit shocked at times and loved that I was. The characters were believable. If a person likes romance and suspense and paranormal, this would be a wonderful book to read.
Mary Slinkard
Feb 24, 2014 Mary Slinkard rated it it was amazing
Loved it

I couldn't put this book down! I loved how well written it was and it had a very interesting list of characters!
Jan 25, 2014 Aly added it

it was a good story line with lots going on! enjoyed reading it !
Took you into the secrets of a deep scandal that ended in a good way!
Thom Swennes
Jan 08, 2016 Thom Swennes rated it it was ok
Shelves: free-e-book
No one can outrun the past forever.
Alyce Rufford (Mary Alyce Hythe) is lonely, scared and confused. At the young and tender age of twelve she is whisked away from her home and placed in the care and under the protection of strangers. Being virtually a social outcast, yet it seems that everyone has a vested interest in her and claim her as their right. Now, at the age of twenty and apparently the heir to a vast fortune her life becomes even more complicated. As the ward of Colonel Montague Tolwor
P S Karr
Sep 24, 2014 P S Karr rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Seductive Secrets is aptly named because it is full of people who are trying to keep something from each other. Alice has grown up in Cornwall cared for by a hired couple who are totally incompetent. The local people think she is a witch, and their gossip is fueled when her house burns down. She herself has odd dreams and hears voices, and is unable to make any sense of them.

When Alice Rufford is being taken to her guardian by her uncle and aunt, she is attacked in a roadside inn. Lord Julian sa
Laura Ottenstein
May 09, 2014 Laura Ottenstein rated it did not like it
The writing of this book was AWFUL. REALLY, REALLY, bad. There might have been on okay plot in there, but the writing was so bad, it didn't matter.
  • Runaway Heart
  • Her Wicked Ways (Secrets & Scandals #1)
  • Love's Portrait
  • The Sweetest Revenge
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Oh, Cherry Ripe
  • The Impostor Bride
  • In the Garden of Temptation (Garden, #1)
  • The Misbehaving Marquess (Nottinghamshire, #2)
  • Becoming A Lady
  • Hint of Desire (Desire #1)
  • Rogue's Honor (The Saint of Seven Dials, #1)
  • All's Fair in Love & Seduction (The Elusive Lords, #2.5)
  • The Inconvenient Duchess (The Radwells #1)
  • The Beauty Bride (Jewels of Kinfairlie, #1)
  • Bewitched
  • Sea Scoundrel (Knave of Hearts #1)
  • Aces Wild (Angels Avengers #1)

Secret Lives (3 books)
  • Broken Legacy (Secret Lives, #2)
  • Seductive Lies (Secret Lives, #3)