Stained Glass

Stained Glass

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The violent implosion of Lawrence McKenna's last relationship left him floundering at the bottom of a bottle. Recently unemployed and struggling with his newly discovered submissive tendencies, Laurie needs his best friend, Jeff, more than ever. One sleepless night of detox and a desperate kiss convince him that the attraction they've battled all their lives has become too...more
Published August 27th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published August 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Stained Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stained Glass

Faith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon SuedeThe Tin Star by J.L. LangleyPromises by Marie SextonThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay Friends Become Lovers
320th out of 482 books — 793 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeLong Time Gone by S.E. JakesNot His Kiss to Take by Finn MarloweSpecial Delivery by Heidi CullinanQuid Pro Quo by L.A. Witt
Best M/M One Handed Reads
102nd out of 165 books — 128 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Huffman-black
writing this as I read because this is complex.
(view spoiler)...more
Chris
Sep 02, 2012 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: orannia
Shelves: 2012, ebook, gay, bdsm, romance, done
Very good kinky m/m romance about a guy who's only recently realized he's a sub, but who's been almost destroyed by his dom imploding. He retreats into a bottle, but his friends are not ready to lose him.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
I haven’t been this conflicted on how to rate a book in… well, maybe ever.

Here’s what I know. I got sucked into this thing like a vortex- a soap operaesque vortex. Despite the soap operaishness I feel like the emotions and behaviors of all the characters were genuine. They’re fucked up, don’t get me wrong. Totally FUBAR, but plausible.

I’ll tell you what Ms. Samms (my first rodeo with her) has a flair for is dialogue. This is some of the best dialogue I’ve ever read. Period. It felt organic and n...more
Alex
Overall
A very different kind of romance that focuses less on the main relationship and more on one man's struggles to recover from alcoholism and his past.

Review
Readers looking for a kinky romance should go elsewhere. While kink is involved, this story centers more around psychology and overcoming life obstacles than it does kink. And while romance plays the guiding light, it's also secondary to character development and maturation. In many ways, this isn't a romance at all.

That said, I still th...more
Mammarella
Wow, what a whirlwind of emotions! Like a hurricane blew over. Could also be that I am reading this on the heels of the very stiff and unimpressive writing of Strength of the Pack series.

Sorta kinda spoiler:

"Stained Glass" is a very complicated story. There are two sides to the abuser and there are two sides to the abused. The picture is pretty clear in the beginning, but the focus shifts as Laurie shares his memories, and in the end Nash is not an evil, selfish and abusive dom, but something en...more
Vio
After having time to stew about it more, it definitely wasn't for me, I'm not in the mood to review because I don`t know why but it rubbed me the wrong way.
Amber
Feb 20, 2014 Amber rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amber by: Caroline
Complex angst filled book that I almost love to hate. This really isn't a love story as much a Laurie's recovery from alcohol and a relationship that went bad. Blake is the only character in this book that I didn't at one point or another get disgusted with. Laurie's well meaning friends are pushy and at time know it all that have very little sympathy. I get that hard love is what Laurie need but they take it to extremes. I hated Jeff completely no redeeming worth for me there at all. He was at...more
Amanda
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars

First off, I feel as if the genre list on the side is misleading. I don't know how many people actually look at that list when deciding whether or not to read a book but I find myself looking at it a lot. BDSM is number two on the list. Don't get me wrong, there's some VERY MINOR BDSM in this. Very minor. No whips and chains here. But this book is not completely centered around BDSM and getting off. I feel as if the Sociology>Abuse tag should be higher up and BDSM at...more
Adriana
I don't have words to describe how I felt reading this book.
Too much in just 200 pages, so much issues in one story, and that gets a little overwhelming at times: the friends to lovers, BDSM, drinking, cancer, new bussiness... and many things are wrapped up in one book.
I loved some parts and hated others, sometimes I just wanted to shake and yell to the characters, and sometimes I wanted to hug and pet them.
At the end it was a really good experience, but this is not for everyone.
Mandi
3 stars with 1 star given to that cover! Guh, I love it!

Story was good, very well written and believable. Though I never warmed up to Jeff, maybe because he wasn't in most of the story. And I was left without the feeling of the two main characters having their HEA (which might just be me, but that's how I felt).
Renie
Ok, I really don`t know how to begin with this review.

But if I have to describe "Stained Glass" in some way it would be "wow".
Just wow. Really amazing job. The cover is gorgeous and have a link to the story.
This book was a mix of very strong emotions and feelings."Stained Glass" is not one of those fluffy romantic stories that make you feel the sweet taste of love and definitely not from those in which you can find the sex scenes everywhere.

And even that the book has a certain dose BDSM the ce...more
Lena Grey
The phrase 'tough love' may sound like an oxymoron, but sometimes, it's exactly what people need. Loving someone enough to stand by and let them hurt while solving their own problems is one of the greatest gifts anyone can bestow upon someone else. In 'Stained Glass' by Jaime Samms, Lawrence McKenna is in trouble, but being rescued will not solve his problems; in fact, it will make them worse. Laurie needs to learn to be strong on his own before he's ready to share his life with someone else. Fo...more
Ayanna
I think - judging by the reviews - I approached this a little differently than other people did.

It was an interesting character study, I think, one that didn't seem to have a lot of unnecessary/contrived melodrama.

I wasn't necessarily annoyed by any of the characters, per se, at least, not until Sofia started coming on really strong on the "psychologist knows best" schtick.

I was also annoyed at everyone else's insistence on blaming pm everything on Nash. There was definitely blame all around and...more
Yoshi
Sep 13, 2012 Yoshi rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Hot cover - it's the reason why I picked up this book.

It started nicely. But all the friends around the MC were too annoying - yes, I know they all wanted to help.
I thought it's a story of Lawrence's journey to heal. Well, he did quit the drinking. But emotionally, he was only less damaged as the beginning of the story. He should seek professional help but not just a fuck from his best childhood friend (Love) against the window. Strangely, his supposed to be straight friend came back home to be...more
Teetee
Very possibly spoilers in this review, am not going to attempt to try to pussy foot around my thoughts on this book since its really for my own edification anyways.

Well this was an interesting book but a lot different than what I am used to reading. Reading this book felt like putting a puzzle together, and the author was handing me a piece or two at a time. I got just enough of the whole picture to both entice and frustrate me. We’re introduced to ‘Laurie’ Lawrence McKenna at a very low point i...more
Summer
I did enjoy the story, but at times it felt a bit like a therapy session. I was okay with the intirum relationship that it took to get Lawrence and Jeff together, but wish there was more about their relationship after they actually got together.

******
If you liked this book you may enjoy the following groups:
Erotic Enchants Group
Menage Readers Group
Randy
Without any characters I could empathize with (they're all jerks), I found it a trudge to get through. I'm one or two chapters from the end, but I don't even care to finish it.
Syfy
A jagged little pill: It’s a great story, a complicated story, one I felt privileged to read. I’ve got no objectivity whatsoever concerning this book.
Lily
Sadly I liked the cover and the MCs' friends more than the MCs themselves.
Sagajo
Good, but at times a bit tedious.
Andrea
Right off, I’m going to let you know that I struggle with BDSM books. I don’t understand the need for dominance or submission, I just don’t get it. Why do I read them? I’m totally down with the S&M parts, that’s a need I understand and enjoy reading about. It’s always a toss up for me when I pick up a BDSM book because I’m never sure which way it’s going to go. If a main character is submissive, I will have trouble connecting with him. Take that into consideration when you read this review.

T...more
Shaz
This book was like a rollercoaster for me. At certain points throughout the book I think I've hated nearly every character and yet then loved them.

They all had their good points and their bad ones. All had faults and then managed to redeem themselves in the next breath. Honestly, they were all human!
And amazingly this book managed to portrey them as such. This is possibly what makes this story so powerful, so gripping. There are human failings going on all over the place. Broken people, dealin...more
Chris Scully
Since I read Still Life by Jamie Samms last year and was haunted by it for days, I decided to give this author another try. But I had to work up to it, since Jamie Samms' stuff is very emotional and sometimes a little dark. Stained Glass was no exception, dealing with alcoholism and a young man's awakening to submissiveness (normally not topics I gravitate to). Overall the BDSM element is pretty light--it's more about the main character's emotional journey to acceptance. The writing is beautiful...more
Kelly
A new to me author, whose other books I will definitely be checking out. This was a wonderfully angsty book that took a realistic look at addiction. The narrator is in a dark place when the book opens, I like how the author sprinkled in information about how he reached that place, rather than dumping it all on us at once. It's different from a lot of m/m I read, because it's mostly about Laurie and discovering himself (and learning to cope with trauma and alcoholism), rather than about him falli...more
Dre
This book was ok for me. It was a little too unrealistic for me that Laurie could just clean himself up and after being abused by his Dom and watching the Dom die, I just don't see him jumping back into dating or sex, and I don't see him getting through any of it without the help of a psychiatrist or psychologist. I don't believe that a friend staying with him would keep him sober, and that talking to another friend would get him passed his issues.
Shannon
I spent most of this book trying to figure out if I actually liked anyone. However, I did end up attached to everyone. Especially Blake. I do wish there had been more of their life together but it was good enough. I'm just going to say that this was not an easy read. I was conflicted through to the end.
Aria Grace
wow. Okay, very dark and very sad. But, since I haven't personally felt those emotions, it wasn't as painful to read as I expected. I might have shed a tear or two...but I wasn't in knots like some people might be. I could have also done with a little more sex. ;-) but, definitely recommend!!!
Melisa
3.5 stars wasn't what I expected but still a good finding yourself book.
D
Not sure what to rate this one. Sometimes I loved it because it's so full of angst and misery, and other times I had no clue what the hell was going on and felt like I was reading the second book in a series without the first. The MC's head is not a pleasant place to be.
Marsha Spence
This was an incredible read. Jaime Samms has a way of really getting to me with her damaged characters. This was beautifully written with a fantastic cast of supporting characters. Andy in particular. I really, really enjoyed it.
Dreamspinner Press: Stained Glass by Jaime Samms 1 14 Aug 27, 2012 10:47AM
  • Bound: Forget Me Knot
  • Power Play: Awakening (Power Play, #2)
  • Hearts Under Fire  (New Amsterdam, #1)
  • Fettered
  • Painting Fire on the Air (Survivor Stories #2)
  • Finding Master Right
  • Falling Into Place
  • Fog: A Novel of Desire and Reprisal
  • Love Runes (Gods and Chaos, #2)
  • Tag Team (Guards of Folsom, #2)
  • Aiden's Luck (Seattle Stories, #3)
  • Precious Jade
  • Word on a Wing
  • Leather+Lace (Opposites Attract, #2)
  • Bonds of Love (Impacted, #2)
  • An Unlocked Heart (Collars and Cuffs, #1)
  • Sealing the Deal (Sex Sells, #1)
  • Beggars and Choosers (Beggars and Choosers, #1)
With most of the hours in the day taken up by a part time job and the full time occupation of raising and schooling two kids, writing is somewhat of an indulgence, but it's the indulgences that keep us sane, right? When not otherwise occupied, like most writers, reading is my relaxation method of choice, and you can find my reviews at Kuriousity.com and Dark Diva Reviews to let you know what I lik...more
More about Jaime Samms...
Better The Foster Family Mourning Fix This, Sir (Tales from Rainbow Alley, #3) Finders, Keepers (Tales from Rainbow Alley, #2)