Start by marking “The Last Highlander” as Want to Read:
The Last Highlander

The Last Highlander

While celebrating the reclaiming of a Edinburgh Castle, a Scottish warrior heads down a flight of stairs--and into another century...

Scottland, 1998. When a beautiful American traveller stumbles upon this handsome Highlander, she is intensely drawn to the mystery surrounding this man, a mystery that has the power to alter history--and her heart--forever...

ebook
Published May 1st 2012 by Deborah A. Cooke (first published August 1st 1998)

Pam
This book DRAGGED! I Slugged through it. This is a time travel to the present 1998. I prefer time travel to the past.

It took forever to get the story going. The hero took until almost page 100 to let the heroine know he was a time traveler.

The last 100 pages were very good. I enjoyed how they worked together to figure out how to get him back to the past. He had to go back because Scotland's history was totally changed when he went forward in time. They eventually get their HEA but there is som
Sherry
Jan 14, 2010 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very entertaining time travel romance. Well-written. Easy to visualize.
Eileen Dandashi
Sep 16, 2016 Eileen Dandashi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quotable Quotes:

Loving was about knowing when to shelter and when to set free.

‘Tis not stupidity to trust someone held within one’s heart.

A promise made was a promise kept.

A man’s honor was the only thing of value he could call his own.

I’m partial to time travel. I mean, after all, what is better than experiencing the real thing instead of reading about it in history books? Author Claire DelaCroix made it very enjoyable plenty of comical situations and many moments where I related to the anguis
Patricia Carcasses
Awesome

The tale is heartfelt, delightful and fun with Scottish history thrown in. What more could you ask for on a cold and snowy night?
Cindy
Jun 14, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Last Highlander:

Magical. Exciting. Superb.

Alasdair and Morgan's romance progresses as a magical adventure. Leery of men, thinking they are all the same as her ex, Morgan is more than suspicious when she finds a highlander, clad in traditional attire, moaning at the bottom of the stairs in Edinburgh Castle. She is even more confused when history as she knows it, is lost to everyone else.

The last thing Alasdair remembers is an old witch telling him he must ask Morgaine le Fee, queen of the Fa
Diane
Mar 17, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Alasdair MacAulay meets a witch while celebrating a victory over the English at Edinburgh Castle in 1314, he is taunted into meeting the Sorceress Morgaine Le Fee. Instead, he finds himself transported into 1998 to land at the feet of American tourist Morgan Lafayette. He thinks she’s a Farie and she thinks he’s drunk. Her sister Justine thinks this is a perfect chance to get her sister to date.
Unfortunately, Alisdair’s time travel has changed the course of history causing Robert the Bruce
April
Apr 16, 2016 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Last Highlander: A Scottish Time Travel Romance" by Claire Delacroix, Deborah Cooke, Claire Cross, is an interesting and unique tale of Scottish Time Travel. In this story though, instead of going back in time, the hero gets thrown 800 years into the future.
A bit slow in places, but picks up as the reader continues. The hero, is strong, chivalrous, and a supporter of Robert the Bruce. The heroine is safe, doesn't trust easily but determined to help get the hero back to his time, if not, his
Paula
Apr 11, 2016 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Highlander is a wonderful twist on time traveling. Instead of going into the past the hero comes to 1998. It was intriguing to see how history had been changed by Alasdair’s disappearance from 1314. Seeing it happened from one to early afternoon from Morgan’s point of view is ingenious.

I found the characters, Morgan and Alasdair, to be a delightful contrast as they sort through what has happened. She is more dreamer and he is more the doer, still they complete each other. The plot flow
Melissa Cannito
Jun 22, 2016 Melissa Cannito rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Highlander is an interesting book on how a Medieval man responds to the modern world. After a battle which won Edinburg Castle for Robert the Bruce, Alasdair MacAuley is dared by a witch to find Morgaine le Fee. The witch hands him a sprig of heather and a stone. Alasdair falls down a flight of stairs and awakes in the present day castle to be greeted by Morgan Lafayette. Neither understand who the other is only that once Alasdair appears the history of Robert the Bruce changes.
Througho
Arsie
Jul 22, 2016 Arsie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable romp through Scotland with a highlander thrown 700 years into the future and the woman he believes is Morgaine le Fey.

He was a little less freaked out by the modern conveniences than I would have thought but it could all have been faerie magic. I enjoyed reading about a possible alternate recent past because of the paradox of him leaving (too often nothing really changes, but how can that be?) and the wandering through Scotland, a place I would love to visit.

Copy gifted by the Publi
Robin
Jun 24, 2016 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, sweet, well-written, enjoyable book. Alasdair is in Scotland in 1314, when he encounters an old woman with a message from Morgaine le Fee, Queen of the Fairies and suddenly things are very unfamiliar! Morgan Lafayette is vacationing in Scotland in 1998 when she runs into Alasdair! This is a stand alone book, one of the author's Time Travel romance series. I can't wait to read the next Time Travel romance in the series! Copy gifted by the Publisher in exchange for an honest review ...more
Gail
Jan 09, 2014 Gail rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"The Last Highlander" squanders a fairly successful storyline and not unappealing characters with tons of typos, transparent writing, pacing issues, clunky dialogue, and repetitive/too blatant issue-labeling (in other words, instead of using her protagonist's behavior to show damage, the author just states again and again that she was too hurt by another man to trust). It's almost like reading a first draft. With a lot more work, "The Last Highlander" could have been good; as is, it's a waste of ...more
Clara Babinski
I actually put this book down and read two others before I finished it. Many many errors, slow to engage the reader. I'm not a fan of taking someone's work and making a new story out of it. Original ideas are more interesting to me than changing old fairy tales. Hummm, I have two more of her books to read, I seriously hope they are better than the first two. Otherwise I just won't make it through them.
Julie
Cute, highlander time travel romance of highlander that travels forward in time 700 years and falls in love with a woman that he at first thinks is a sorceress out to bespell him. Eventually he realizes the truth and longs to return to his own time, if only he hadn't fallen in love. It had it's moments, but rambled at times, still it wasn't bad, but I've read better.

Kathy Bunbury
Nov 09, 2016 Kathy Bunbury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Transportingly captivating!

I'm not usually fond of time travel stories, but I have to say that I loved, loved, loved, loved this story. The characters are all captivating and real and you fall in love with them all. So well written you feel like you are a passenger in this journey. Great insight also into Scottish history and how easily changing one thing could change things for ever.
Atunah
I love time travel romances and not all of them work for me. This one worked great. It was a bit different from many other as the hero came to today's world. Or late 1990's that is.
So it doesn't have some of the action one might get from going to the past.
I loved it though. What a hero. *sigh.

It made me smile at the end. And sigh some more.
Ann
Dec 26, 2015 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable time travel

I so enjoyed the Jewels of Kinfarlie and the Rogues of Ravensmuir and this was just as brilliantly written, This is about Alasdair and Morgan and the adventures they had getting Alasdair back to his own time to save his son.
One I couldn't put down and will read again
Marianne Ciccone denning
So good I cried

This story is just beautiful. Broken hearts, fairly stories, sisters, and a sweet, brawl Highlander. I dont want to spoil the story, but it captures you. The characters are so real, and their challenges ... and triumphs will have you smiling thru your tears.
Cary
Mar 16, 2016 Cary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to say... I wasn't going to read this after the first one but I started and then finished! The characters felt more realistic to me and even though I have issues with a 800 year time travel and the traveler not freaking out this was more enjoyable.
Diane Sullivan
Nov 19, 2016 Diane Sullivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-kindle
Enjoyed the humor

I read a lot of highlander stories. I loved the humor of seeing things from the highlander's point of view after being sent to modern time.
Marlene S. Luchenbill
Almost didn't read this book.

The more I read this story the more I got involved with it. Morgan was so believing and yet tried to be practical.
The Romantic Scientist
A nice time travel romance. My full review is here: http://scienceofromance.blogspot.com/...
Sec2000
Jan 03, 2016 Sec2000 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
get more
Alli
Jul 23, 2015 Alli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: winners-circle
A little slow at the beginning but picked up gradually and had a wonderful ending. It reminded me of Outlander in many ways.
Jenn
Dec 17, 2012 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little drawn out sometimes, but I kept with it. Cute book overall.

I've obviously been in escape to Highlander mode lately...
Mindy
Mar 06, 2013 Mindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book overall but did tend to drag in places. Still love a Delacroix novel and enjoy time travel the most.
Reva
Reva rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Kim Dreke
Kim Dreke rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Andra Bohnet
Andra Bohnet rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Love Through Time (MacKendimen, #1)
  • Circles in Time
  • A Love Beyond Time
  • Everything in Its Time (Time After Time #1)
  • Highland Stone
  • Enemy of Mine (The Glimpse Time Travel #1)
  • My Timeswept Heart (Blackwells, #1)
  • A Moment In Time
  • Wildewood Revenge (The Wildewood Chronicles, #1)
  • Veils of Time (MacLeod, #2.5; de Piaget/MacLeod, #5.5)
  • Night Visitor
  • Nothing But Time
  • Mystic Memories
  • Kilt Worthy
  • A Slip in Time
  • The Witch and the Warrior (Warriors, #2)
  • A Tryst in Time
  • Warrior of the Highlands (Highlands, #3)
New York Times bestselling author Claire Delacroix sold her first book in 1992, an historical romance called THE ROMANCE OF THE ROSE. Since then, she has published over forty romance novels and novellas, and has also been published under the names Claire Cross and Deborah Cooke. She has an honours degree in history, with a focus on medieval studies. She is an avid reader of medieval vernacular lit ...more
More about Claire Delacroix...

“It was terrible, being married to someone who thinks the worst of you.” 2 likes