Start by marking “After The Virus” as Want to Read:
After The Virus

After The Virus

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  193 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
After the virus decimates 99.9% of the world’s population, and all traces of humanity along with it, Rhiannon and Will are forced to move beyond their past fame, fortune, and personal demons to rescue a mute girl from the clutches of two warring cults.

-------------
WARNING: this post-apocalyptic love story contains mature situations, violence, and language.
Published July 30th 2012 by Old Man in the CrossWalk Productions (first published May 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about After The Virus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After The Virus

DJ Harris

After the Virus by Meghan Ciana Doidge

A gorgeous actress with a smile that brings men to their knees…
The former college quarterback who feels out-of-place…
Enter the Zombie Apocalypse!
Could this be love?

A Virus has spread like wildfire throughout the world killing, or infecting, 99.9% of the population. Those who become Infected with the Virus die quickly, but they aren’t really dead! Instead, the Infected become mindless zombies who sustain themselves on the blood and flesh of the immune.
Gertie
Jul 15, 2011 Gertie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: zombie afficionados, post-apocalyptos, romantics
Everyone has their own idea of what makes a good apocalyptic fiction book (or book in general). One thing that I usually need in order to enjoy a book is likable characters — characters with a moral code that relates to our own non-apocalyptic ones are kind of hard to come by in this genre, because most post-apocalypse stories focus on survival, and the things people will do to live. Not very nice things.

The main male in this book, Will ("Tex"), is the sort of guy who clearly sees the world a ce
Felicia A
Nov 26, 2011 Felicia A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non-zombie focused post-apocalyptic tale of love, life, survival and morals...not necessarily in that order.

I thought this was a well thought out tale, non-gory (even though there was a virus and "infected"), and had all the elements for a full and complete story AND an actual ending. Though the story COULD be continued, it ended well and with enough closure, which not all the books in the genre do.

I thought there was a missed opportunity for Will's tale to be expounded upon (with Big's help), a
Scott Gray
Oct 11, 2011 Scott Gray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deftly mixing post-apocalyptic survivor thriller tropes with a wickedly morbid sense of humor, Meghan Ciana Doidge's "After the Virus" manages to be both the funniest and most kick-ass action/adventure narrative i've read in ages. (Not exactly a spoiler, but skip this but if you like to be completely surprised when you read: "The Boss, completely focused on Snickers, turned to violently vault the girl across the room. Instead, he discovered the three-inch-heel of her previously so impractical sh ...more
Patrick D'Orazio
Jul 30, 2011 Patrick D'Orazio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a few post apocalyptic novels have attempted to inject love and romance into their pages. Some do it by cramming it into a high action, gore splattered story, while others let it flow more gradually into the mix, letting it germinate based on circumstances surrounding the characters-people pushed together and sharing the horrors that surround one another, so they come together to push back the nightmares. Meghan Ciana Doidge is one of the few storytellers who pushes the love story up front ...more
Miranda
Oct 29, 2014 Miranda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: post apocalyptic fans
Recommended to Miranda by: found it in a group giveaway
I won this book in a group giveaway, it in no way changed or routed this review.

This story was pretty awesome for a "Romantic" Post-apocalyptic novel. It's the authors first ever book so I like many other probably get a bit nervous over those. But Meghan Doidge did AMAZING! I mean the concept of this story was a bit refreshing on the whole "zombie/infected" theme. Most are just gore and death and oh yeah lets add so
Michelle
Sep 19, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the Virus is a Post Apocalyptic novel by Meghan Ciana Doidge from Old Man in the CrossWalk Productions.

Book Blurb:

My thoughts:

Rhiannon is an actress - or was an actress, before the world went to hell. A virus swept the land, killing all but a
Heather Faville
Aug 26, 2011 Heather Faville rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A virus decimates all but 0.1% of the world's population and with such a small percentage of humans still attempting to survive the line between what a person will and will not do to survive is drawn. Rhiannon is...or should I say was a woman well-known to many, but in this new world she is a prize to be captured and used to breed the spawn of "the Boss" Will or Tex as some call him is a the type of man you want in this type of world...hell in any world. He's a good guy who does his best to what ...more
A Book Vacation
Jul 23, 2011 A Book Vacation rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting zombie novel, zoning in more upon how disturbing the world has become after a virus wipes out all but 1% of the population. While zombies are a small portion of the novel, the main spread deals with the left over humans and how they are attempting to take over what little is left of the world. This novel is different from all the other zombie/dystopian novels I’ve read, and it was refreshing and attention-grabbing, causing me to read it all in one sitting.

I enjoyed th
Misty Baker
Jan 06, 2012 Misty Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh…Fall. My favorite season. Not, for the reasons you might expect however. Yes, I am quite happy to be rid of the daunting 118 degrees Texas heat, but cooler weather, and only 1 deodorant pit-stop a day pales in comparison to Fall’s true, most glorious of perks…Zombies.

Oh yes. Fall is the season for “Chiller” TV, “Zombie Girls from Mars” marathons and more importantly, post apocalyptic literature. With Halloween in the not-so-distant-future, I get to lose myself in the slightly demented minds
Karen
Feb 21, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
This was a great little book with a fresh take on the post-apocalypse. What happens to the rich and famous movie starlets and football quarterbacks who survive a virus that decimates 99% of the population? I loved this book! It took me a few chapters to get used to the writing style, but once B.B. the dog enters, I was completely and utterly enthralled and couldn't stop thinking about it in between reading times. At times I was gasping in horror at what these characters endured. But, the ending. ...more
Susan Tydings
Sep 16, 2012 Susan Tydings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was prepared for "just another" post apocalyptic zombie novel. I was delightfully surprised to read an engaging story with interesting characters with depth. There are good guys, bad guys who become good guys, and a few very bad guys. The story revolves around a heroic man, a brave and gorgeous woman, a cute & initially odd child named Snickers, and a dog. What's not to love? The story line leads you on an atypical journey, with twists & turns. There are lovely moments of man helping h ...more
Heller
Nov 13, 2012 Heller rated it really liked it
I think the best thing about post-apocalyptic stories is how they make me feel. Scared. Freaked out. Disturbed. Angry. Hopeful. This book gives me all that.

99.9% of the world has been wiped out by a virus. The remaining infected are being used as bloodhounds by the immune and sustained through the blood and flesh of the immune. There is no transference of the plague, you were either immune or you were dead and the last of humanity is battling it out to see who comes out on top. The insane, the
Kat
Dec 04, 2013 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What would happen if a virus decimated most of the worlds population, leaving the remnants of humanity to fight it out over territory, food and women? After the Virus takes a popular idea and gives it a unique twist by taking two formerly famous people and throwing them together in a world torn apart by greed and desperation, with some freaky Infected thrown in for good measure.

Opening with a tense escape scene, as Rhiannon flees her captors who are using women as baby-machines, we are introduce
Tania
Nov 22, 2012 Tania rated it really liked it

I read this book in two sittings - one evening, and the morning after. The writing style is punchy and the plot makes it a little hard to put down. I wasn't sure if I liked the author's habit of giving the "what happens next" away at the end of each chapter, but I got used to it and it bothered me less and less as I got through the book.

I know nothing about zombies. I know there are some fanatics out there, so I thought I should be clear about that. i had read that this was a zombie novel, but
Charlie Kravetz
Dec 23, 2012 Charlie Kravetz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mature adults that enjoy horror stories.
This review is for the Kindle edition ebook.

An exciting, fast-moving, horror story.

In a time when we just passed the “end of the world”(December 21, 2012), this book was great! The end of the world, as we know it. Zombies, as you don’t know them. A few people, immune to the virus that erased humanity, left to live their lives out. A young man, a young woman, a young child in need, a lot of terror, and no one with answers.

This is a book with a lot of horrible things in it. It really fits right in
Grammar*Kitten
Sep 08, 2012 Grammar*Kitten rated it really liked it
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
A dystopian thriller, with parallels to some kind of zombie apocalypse, but altogether different. The 'infected' are dying of a virus, but are not dead or reanimated, though they share the same hunger of their zombie-cousins, a hunger for the blood and flesh of the immune, which strengthens and sustains them.

Within this setting, a group of the immune have set up a baby factory within the city, kidnapping women to breed new humans. It is from here that Rhiannon, our female protagonist, escapes, b
Apocalyptic Fiction
A famous actress meets a star college football quarterback, they fall in love and adopt a nine-year old girl…the only problem is that the world has ended, a devastating virus has killed 99% of the human population, some portion of the population has become bloodthirsty zombies and most of those that are immune are ruled by psychopathic lunatics. After the Virus by Meghan Ciana Doidge is not your typical love story. In fact, it ranks up there with some of the more violent and gruesome post apocal ...more
Patti
Jul 30, 2013 Patti rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely fantastic!!!!!!

The author did an excellent job of giving the back story of the characters without "When Rhiannon was a child, people were mean to her." The various little clues/hints she left were richly detailed, yet not in your face. Each one built a layer onto Rhiannon and Will, allowing you to really identify with them as people, not just made up characters.

The movie star as apocalyptic heroine was pretty bad ass and I just fell in love with Snickers. There wasn't mu
Brenda Ayala
Jun 17, 2013 Brenda Ayala rated it liked it
Shelves: thank-you
This was a good story. It was interesting and different, a story that kind of takes place in a zombie apocalypse type setting.

I liked how it was a bit more realistic with some things. Namely how I think women would (unfortunately) be treated. It brought forth a potential reality that is very harsh and unforgiving to the female population, and that was definitely one of the more central themes to the story, whether intentional or not.

Snickers was such a great character. It probably wasn't very
Georgeanna
Jun 20, 2012 Georgeanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm at 42% in the Kindle for iPad version and I'm starting to get really tired of this woman being kidnapped every few pages. I think everything else is great--the writing, the editing, and the main plot are all very enjoyable. Loving the dog and the cute kid, too. And the hero is the 'strong, quiet' type. My favorite:-)
I received a free copy of this book for review. I will finish it and come back to edit my review. I hope she either stays kidnapped for a while, or gets free for a while, though.
Tracy

This was a really fun quick read. Mostly a love story but with zombies and pure evil to spice up the true love.
Nadir
Jun 30, 2012 Nadir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels

Entertaining if a bit over the top. Nice to see a female lead character in an "action" role.
Mary
Jan 21, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: lendable
New take on the apocalyptic end of the world theme
Tera
Nov 09, 2012 Tera rated it really liked it

Finished in a day really good book I recommend !
Leanne Holmes
Apr 09, 2013 Leanne Holmes rated it it was amazing
great book
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book as a gift. Thanks to author Meghan Ciana Doidge.)
A virus has killed most of the human population on earth, leaving just a small handful of ‘immune’.
Will was taunted by racists in the town where he lived, but now everyone but him is dead, so he’s been tidying the town up alone.
Rhiannon was a famous movie star, but now she’s just trying to avoid being raped by some nut cases that want to repopulate the world one baby at a time.
Can Rhiannon and Will s
James
Well done! Characters are developed, the plot flows, the story world is vividly drawn, and it's written with a sense of humor. One of the better post-apocalyptic SF novels I've come across - this is one I'd like to see made into a film. I'm counting it both as fantasy and as science fiction because some have made a halfway-plausible case that people infected with the rabies virus could be considered close enough to zombies (some depictions of zombies, anyway) to merit the label.
Janae Smith
Sep 30, 2012 Janae Smith rated it liked it
Couldn't wait to get my hands on the book but alas exams and homework had to come first.I'm a die hard fan of post apocalyptic worlds so I dove right into this action packed-adventure where a virus has wiped out most of the population except for those that were immune. Society in most places has left and its everyone for themselves. Rhiannon the main
antagonist is fascinating as she is being sought after by the boss and soon comes to love the man she met (Will) and the young girl (Snickers). Well
Ellen
Nov 20, 2013 Ellen rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
What happens when you cross breed romance plot with zombies and apocalypse, with beginner writing skills? You get this novel. Honestly can't believe the 4 stars rating for lines like: "“It. Wanted. His. Blood.”

Excerpt From: Meghan Ciana Doidge. “After The Virus.” Old Man in the CrossWalk Productions, 2012-07-19. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

I can only imagine the other ratings reflect marks for effort. I did think the writing improved in second half of the book. Note: I re
  • The Fridgularity
  • The Road to Hell is Paved With Zombies (Zombie Fighter Jango, #1)
  • Flesh Code: Vol. I
  • Jordan's Brains: A Zombie Evolution
  • Voluntary
  • The Biomass Revolution (The Tisaian Chronicles #1)
  • An Empty Land of Plenty
  • Elements of the Undead Omnibus (Books 1-3)
  • Eden
  • Mace of the Apocalypse
  • Girl Under Glass
  • Our Final Invention: Artificial Intelligence and the End of the Human Era
  • Desperate Times
  • Plague
  • Since Tomorrow
  • Collapse (New America, #1)
  • The Becoming: Ground Zero (The Becoming, #2)
  • Road Trip of the Living Dead (Amanda Feral, #2)
Meghan Ciana Doidge is an award-winning writer based out of Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada. She has a penchant for bloody love stories, superheroes, and the supernatural. She also has a thing for chocolate, potatoes, and sock yarn.

Novels: (in order of release) After The Virus; Spirit Binder; Time Walker; Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (Dowser 1); Trinkets, Treasures, and
More about Meghan Ciana Doidge...

“Life made you get your hands dirty; life was vengeful if you tried an easy route.” 28 likes