S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Captives of the Zone (diary #1)
Open Preview read excerpt

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Captives of the Zone (diary #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  12 reviews
More than 80 books and over 6 million copies of the Stalker book series have sold in Russia and in Germany.
The official S.T.A.L.K.E.R book series has taken on a new image — graphic novels that will immerse you in the world of the Zone where dangerous anomalies lie in wait for the Stalkers at every turn and where hideous mutants and zombies are on a continuous hunt for man...more
Published July 29th 2012 by GSC World Publishing

To ask other readers questions about S.T.A.L.K.E.R., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

J.T. Kalnay
Let me start this review by stating that I am a computer geek and a gamer. Thus, I was predisposed to like this book because it's closely tied to the premise and back story for a video game. If you don't like video games and zombies and mutants, you will likely have a different opinion than I did. Having provided that disclaimer...

Swedish tourist Max Cotton didn't want to enter the zone (the most dangerous place on earth). But since he's there, he has to decide whether to risk everything in an a...more
Yannis Karatsioris

I haven't played the video game, so I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I opened this book.
Author Artur Frank has a way with atmosphere. And not only with the colorful but ominous images he used inbetween the text, but also with the words he put together to build up the necessary suspense.

A man has gone missing, and he contacts through a letter only one of his friends... This is how it all begins, and the missing's man friend has to figure it all out, taking it one step at a time.

Myste...more
Lisa Potocar
I don't usually read graphic, apocalyptic, adventure novels, but I'm glad I did. This story helped to open my eyes to a whole new entertaining genre. This story grabbed me from the start, and it was uniquely entertaining how the author skillfully used, as another reviewer wrote, "diaries, letters and pictures to put the reader right in the middle of the action." The illustrations were great and made us feel a part of the world within the Zone. I look forward to reading more in this series. Kudos...more
Lisa Goldman
Normally, I wouldn't read a graphic novel but I like paranormal and horror books and bought this book a day when it was free. I thought the story was well written with only a few, very minor, flaws. The story was engaging, where I was eager to read more even when it ended. I found the pictures and diary style with different fonts refreshing. Would I recommend this book to others? Yes, and when my teenager son is looking for another book, I plan on sharing this one with him.
Scott Collins
Interesting book, but it almost felt like reading a prologue and not the actual book. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a very quick read and you only get the smallest taste of a storyline, but what is there has great potential. I'll watch it to see where this goes, but the books are going to have to get longer if I'm going to commit to this series. I'm not interested in getting involved in a 32 part mini-series.
J.C.
Sep 14, 2012 J.C. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: video game fans
Shelves: freebie
though i had never played the computer game, i thought the story here was captivating and an interesting start to hopefully an exciting book series. it is well written, with very few (if any) errors.
William Stuart
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Captives of the Zone

My Review

Disclaimer: I was given this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I am not a big gamer, so I am unfamiliar with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games and other books. Given that, and given that I am not usually a fan of graphic novels, I was unsure what to expect when I started reading this book. Surprisingly, the book was very well written and drew me right into the story. The story is bare-boned and characters are enigmatic by design. With a few illustr...more
James Mcclung
This book was really good it started out fairly slow but it sped up really fast. By the end it was one thing after the next but there was still a lot of suspense in the story. i personally loved the book i hope to read the full book later. This was the first book have read by this author but i will be sure to read more by them. If you are a gamer or a sci-fi lover i would highly recommend this book for you.
Steven Matuska
If you're a stalker fan it's definitely a worth while read

The book is a short read but it's a great read, it shed so much more light on the stalker lore than I knew. I'm a fan of all three games and was very impressed at the plot of the story, if you're a stalker fan it's worth read for sure. The plot is explained well enough that even someone not familiar with the games can pick it up and enjoy it.
Anthea Carson
I loved this book! The story was compelling and intriguing and kept me turning the page, wanting to find out more about Chernobyl and what had happened. The drawings are amazing; haunting, beautiful and unique. I am hooked on this story and plan to read the next in the series. I am not a gamer, and knew nothing about the video game and loved it! I highly recommend this fantastic book!
Chad
This is an interesting graphic novel. The story takes place in an unseen "zone" outside of chernobyl. Full of monsters and hunters. All and all a very quick read and not a bad story.
Ryan McArthur
I guess I was hoping for something more "Roadside Picnic" than this, which felt very much like the novelisation of a game play-through for me.
Anyia
Anyia is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2014
Stephen Yo
Stephen Yo is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2014
Languorous_Maiar
Languorous_Maiar marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Pablo
Pablo is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
Shawdzia Beaver
Shawdzia Beaver marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Dameon Riggs
Dameon Riggs marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Olivetree
Olivetree marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Julien
Julien is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2014
Reem Khalili
Reem Khalili marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Richard L.
Richard L. marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Boss
Boss is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2014
Jaspreet
Jaspreet is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2014
CJ
CJ marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Judyann
Judyann is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Ezi
Ezi is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2014