Start by marking “The American 1890's: Life and Times of a Lost Generation” as Want to Read:
The American 1890's: Life and Times of a Lost Generation

The American 1890's: Life and Times of a Lost Generation

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Published November 1st 1979 by University of Nebraska Press (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The American 1890's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American 1890's

Dusty
The American 1890s does for Stephen Crane, Frank Norris, Kate Chopin, and others who wrote and published in the last few years of the nineteenth century what Mathiessen's American Renaissance had done for Emerson, Melville, and the other writers of the 1840s and 50s. It salvages a few names from the wreckage of the decade and installs them in a canon. When the book was published, in 1966, it could've been a course. Today, it's still of use but shows its wear.

Usually, when we say "lost generation
Nicole G.
I thought this was going to be a social history of the people of the times, and I suppose it is, but mainly through discussing the popular authors of the time, and I haven't read a lot of them, so I skipped around a bit.
Joia
Joia marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Jill Harmon
Jill Harmon marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Camille
Camille marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2012
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2010
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2009
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Mark Twain Writing in the New Nation: Prose, Print, and Politics in the Early United States All-American Boy Literary Democracy: The Declaration Of Cultural Independence In America Return Passages: Great American Travel Writing, 1780-1910