Start by marking “L come legge (Kinsey Millhone, #12)” as Want to Read:
L come legge (Kinsey Millhone, #12)

L come legge (Kinsey Millhone #12)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  23,426 Ratings  ·  513 Reviews
Three cassettes 3 hours
Read by Judy Kaye
Kinsey's skills are about to be sorely tested. She is about to meet her duplicitous match in a couple of world-class prevaricators who quite literally take her for the ride of her life.
L is for Lawless: Call it Kinsey Millhone in bad company. Call it a mystery without a murder, a treasure hunt without a map, a quest novel with trul
Published 1998 by Salani (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about L come legge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L come legge

Kelly
My enjoyment of this book was really diminished by the fact that Kinsey NEVER punched Laura in the face. She needed punching repeatedly. Also, we're on book 12; Kinsey should not be getting tricked quite as easily or as frequently.

But I want to hang out with the grandmother. She rocked.
Mansuriah Hassan
Jul 13, 2016 Mansuriah Hassan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author, Sue Grafton delivers another great astounding mystery in her alphabet series - L is for Lawless. In this book, the main character, Kinsey Millhone (a private investigator), is asked by her good friend/landlord, Henry, to help out a friend of his on a simple matter. She needs to show that Henry’s friend served in the military during World War II so he can be buried as a veteran. It was such a simple request but the problem is that the military has no record of the man ever being in th ...more
Ouija
Sep 02, 2013 Ouija rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my least favorite Kinsey Millhone book. I guess it was the author's attempt to get Kinsey out of her familiar setting. This is admirable, but not always successful. (Remember when Jessica Fletcher left Cabot Cove and moved to Manhattan? Blecch.) I dearly missed Kinsey's familiar setting and familiar friends and after they left Dallas, found my interest flagging. There were some interesting characters and situations but other than Kinsey, no characters to root for or really care ...more
Jaret
Dec 12, 2014 Jaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-star-books
I really enjoyed the comic caper style of this episode in the Kinsey Millhone series. The beginning was a good build-up, but not near as much fun as the end. I could understand Kinsey's appeal to some of the characters. Her instant attraction (family-style) made the plotline even more humorous. I hated the character, Laura, but enjoyed Kinsey's sister-style bantering with her. The mystery was more of a treasure hunt, but the true treasure was the character Helen (aka Hell on Wheels). She reminds ...more
Susan
Feb 21, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having finished my judging for Florida Scholastic Press Association, I dived right into “L,” hoping Kinsey hadn’t missed me for the few days I was away from her.

In this installment, set in November of 1985 even though it was published in 1995, Kinsey is 35, having had a birthday May 5. Her adored and adoring landlord, Henry, asks her to do him a favor. My guess is this experience pays her up for years to come.

Her adventures take her from her California hometown via air to Dallas and, eventually,
Darren
Oct 07, 2015 Darren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from my local library. I liked it a lot. It was a book worth reading,for sure.
Aaron
Aug 01, 2009 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kinsey Millhone is actually taking a vacation. Thanksgiving is quickly approaching and she has promised to stand up at the wedding of two good friends, but that doesn't stop her from taking on a case. Her good friend and landlord has asked her to talk to the Lees. Johnnie Lee recently passed away, and the family was hoping to get some money from the government to put toward his funeral expenses. He was was a World War II veteran, but their is no record of his service.

After visiting with Lee's gr
Dana
Mar 02, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last two books in the Alphabet Series left me wanting more from Sue Grafton. I was left feeling like the endings were rushed, characters weren't given the right amount of introduction, or were introduced briefly and then not mentioned again, and wanting more from the storyline.

Grafton redeemed herself with "L is for Lawless". This is the first book in the series where the job Kinsey is working on is as a favor to a friend of hers. This book's a lot like "H is for Homocide" in that Kinsey fin
Elizabeth Hesseltine
I enjoyed this one like all the others, but I figured out the clues long before Kinsey did.
Woody Chandler
Feb 13, 2017 Woody Chandler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better on this outing! Ms. Millhone goes on a merry, cross-country chase & while I am sure that we, as readers, were supposed to feel sympathetic to her lack of funds and other problems, I took glee in listening to her whiny, judgmental self suffer. I liked the way that Ms. Grafton wove the title into the plot & I kept thinking of a fellow Pitt undergrad, Greg Lawless, as I read this one. Another quick read. On to M!
Michelle
Oh Kinsey. You are a glutton for punishment. You let your love for dear sweet Henry Pitts drag you into a pro bono case with no upside at all for you. And you continue to allow your family issues to cloud your judgment.

This time around, Kinsey is pressed into service by Henry to help one of their neighbors, and both of them have no idea what she is actually walking into. Kinsey, impulsive to the last, ends up hopping a plane to Texas where she goes undercover (naturally) and stumbles into a ser
LadyCroft86
Feb 03, 2016 LadyCroft86 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Kinsey book was a little bit different from the others, and it was pretty good. Kinsey isn't hired to solve a case, but agrees to do a favor for her landlord. This leads to all kinds of trouble and excitement that is different than most of the other alphabet books. H for Homicide is another similar Kinsey book to this one where Kinsey spends a lot of the book in danger. In this case, she looks into a VA claim that ends up being bogus and about bank robbery instead.
Kinsey ends up traveling
Em
Jan 01, 2015 Em rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Timothy McNeil
Where would Kinsey be if she had a cellular phone? Well, probably in much less interesting books for starters. But what makes L is for Lawless work is how suited the storyline is for pulling at the strings Grafton has built up around the PI over the last four novels. Yes, Kinsey is still too often caught surprised by things she should see coming, but the character owns these faults and becomes somehow more real in the process.
My one complaint is a consistent one: Grafton does too poor a job in
Taryn
Feb 13, 2014 Taryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alondra
Sep 20, 2014 Alondra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
4 Stars

This story turned out much better than the I thought it would after reading the book-blurb.

Kinsey gets into one fine mess after volunteering to "help out" a friend of a friend.

The entire story is a hot mess, really. We start out trying to get military benefits for a dead man; who may or may not have been in the military. We end up running away from bad buys, looking for stolen money and avoiding the cops too. I don't know how she does it; but Kinsey always manages to get in way over her
Madoka Sakuta
Apr 08, 2013 Madoka Sakuta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MACMILLAN READERS level5 intermediate
time 160min
7word information key follow fake tell help lawless

Disucussion question
1The main character is Kinsey Millhone. She is so brave.
She faked someone because she wanted to get information.
Have you ever faked someone?
Yes When I was a junior high school student, I facked high school student.
Because It's secret.
2 When you flight somewhere, what are 3 things which are very important?
Money, Phone, Sightseeingbook
Christopher
Mar 25, 2014 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a disappointing read in "K is for Killer," I believe this is the best in Grafton's alphabet series so far. The whole book kept me on the edge of my seat and the ending wasn't as predictable as some of the earlier books in the series. I would have liked to have a little more closure with Bucky and Chester and their reaction to learning the truth, but I still enjoyed this book very much.
Mar 17, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sold-back-to-hpb
Initially I found this book to be a tad better than its most recent predecessors, but then we got to Dallas and the stupidity hit. The longer our heroine hung out with this book's gaggle of ancillary characters, the more idiotic she herself became. By the end I was wishing Granny would take both her shotgun and her Louisville Slugger to the whole lot of 'em.
Annie Garvey
Apr 18, 2014 Annie Garvey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the alphabet series by Sue Grafton. They are well written and plotted. Each book can be read as a stand alone; however, if you read them in order, you can experience the evolving character of the protagonist Kinsey Millhone.
The 12th book in the Kinsey Milhone alphabet series - and another good read. This one had Kinsey working a case for a friend of a friend for free. A "simple case" that turns out to be not so simple after all.
Melissa
Aug 10, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was a strange Kinsey book, though I certainly admire Grafton for being able to change things up and keep introducing novelty in this series. Overall an interesting ride though I felt a bit cheated (like Kinsey) by the ending.
Thomas Walton
This was one of the best ones yet. Kinsey gets her "knickers in a twist" so many times, but she's the gal, and can get herself out of them. By the way... since Kinsey's birthday is tomorrow (May 5, per this episode)Happy Birthday Kinsey.
Amy
Apr 20, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far this is one of my favorite Kinsey Millhone stories. I enjoyed the mystery and the lack of dead bodies. And I always like reading about Henry's family - they're a hoot!
Julia Wood
Wtf did I just read? Definitely my least favorite of them all so far. I don't even know how to describe it. I feel like every decision made was awful and the storyline was so convulted..
Barbara
Aug 14, 2014 Barbara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just utter crap. The plot is propelled forward by a string of mistakes instead of by real character traits; it's like the bad sitcom of mystery novels.
Anne
Apr 18, 2014 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is there any joy greater than reading!!! Again, a very Good Read!!!!
Alec Peche
Apr 22, 2015 Alec Peche rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a different Sue Grafton novel. Kinsey was was so much more sarcastic in her thoughts then I remember in any other book. Good ending.
Ellana Rose Thornton-Wheybrew
Definitely the best in the series so far. I love the twists and turns.
Jana Baker
Feb 12, 2014 Jana Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always good, always turning an odd way. Love that they are similar but never the same!
*Best Sellers* Bo...: L is for Lawless 1 1 Aug 14, 2016 08:01PM
The Women's Myste...: L is for Lawless 1 7 Aug 09, 2013 09:28PM
  • Ask the Cards a Question
  • The Singing Of The Dead (Kate Shugak, #11)
  • Guardian Angel (V.I. Warshawski, #7)
  • Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)
Connect with Sue herself on Facebook! www.facebook.com/suegrafton

Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievement award) in 2003.

Family History:

Father: C.W. Grafton, born 1909, third son of Presbyterian Missionaries, born and raised in China, educated Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina; practicing attorney in Louisville, Kentucky with a 40-year specialty in municipal bonds. Au
More about Sue Grafton...

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)