Rua (Rua, #1)

Rua (Rua #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  557 ratings  ·  76 reviews
A girl with an unknown destiny.

A boy from a hidden world.

When Celeste starts at a new school in a small, Kansas town, she hears whispering voices, has vivid nightmares, and swarms of blackbirds follow her every move. She is oddly drawn to aloof Rylan, the other new student who has his own secrets. The exact moment she turns seventeen, she wakes to a bedroom full of strange...more
Published August 28th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published August 27th 2012)

Significance by Shelly CraneRecalled by Cambria HebertPrince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisInescapable by Amy A. BartolJust One Drop by Quinn Loftis
UtopYA Con 2013
98th out of 218 books — 270 voters
City of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareThe Selection by Kiera CassFinale by Becca FitzpatrickRapture by Lauren KateFlutter by Melissa Andrea
Best YA Covers for 2012
252nd out of 466 books — 1,531 voters

More lists with this book...

Angelya (Tea in the Treetops)
Review originally posted on The Oaken Bookcase on September 18, 2012.

Celeste has always felt like an outsider – moved around by her loving adoptive parents to new towns and schools frequently. This latest move is different though – as she approaches her seventeenth birthday, Celeste begins having nightmares and hearing voices in the night, and why does the gorgeous boy Rylan keep staring at her like that?

On her birthday, it is finally revealed that Celeste is one of the Tuatha de Danaan, gatekee...more
Hbeebti
I wasn't sure what the heck was going on at first. Celeste has been having nightmares. The closer to her seventeenth birthday the more weird things happen and she thinks shes loosing her mind. She hears voices and there are swarms of black birds following her around, blinding headaches when the new boy Rylan looks at her.Of course it all comes out as to who and what she is. It was all described and seemed very cool.

This was really easy to get into and I flew through it. I loved Celeste, she didn...more
Heidi

Three Stars: A paranormal read with something new and different.

Celeste grabs her backpack and heads out the door with her parents good wishes. She is starting her first day at a new high school. At sixteen she is used to moving around and she is always the new girl. Things go better than than planned when she immediately and unexpectedly makes a new friend, Tink, amiable, outgoing and gay.

Then she catches the eye of a handsome new boy, Rylan. Yep, it was a great first day, but soon the euphoria...more
Raina {The LUV'NV}
I received this book in exchange for an honest review and should admit the cover drew me in more than the summary did. It's gorgeous and, surprisingly, perfectly matches the heroine and her power.

Orphaned at birth and constantly moving around with her adoptive parents, Celeste Shreeve has never settled roots or known them. She doesn't mind, though. She has never been found wanting—her adoptive parents love her like their own, she likewise feels the same, and she's mature enough to understand why...more
Inna
Review also appears on my blog
This book was so different that I didn't know what to expect. I thought this would be your everage Sidhe book. Well boo-hoo for me because it totally wasn't what I thought it would be. However, it was great.
Celeste was a pretty average heroine but she was easy to relate to. I loved her relationship with her parents. It was really refreshing to see a heroine that has a close relationship with her parents and isn't somehow scarred by terrible parents or a lack of one...more
Melissa
First, can I say that I love this cover? Colors are so pretty! Okay, that off my chest, I have to say I did enjoy this fae tale. Many of the elements within the book did surprise me. First, other than the mean popular girl, there were some stereotypes that were turned on it's ear. I really enjoyed that, especially how Celeste's human family came about. I am so happy to see that, since I just love it when people play with perceptions like that. It also didn't expound upon this turning either. It...more
Krista (Nawanda Files)
The synopsis for Rua doesn't give much away, so I'm going to attempt to keep this review as spoiler free as possible. In the beginning we learn that new girl, Celeste, is having some pretty intense nightmares and some very unusual stalkers--blackbirds. I think the strongest aspect of Rua was the original premise and the mystery laced within it. I really couldn't begin to guess the next move or even where the book was leading. It was a nice, unpredictable journey.

The mythology and plot of the bo...more
Amy Fournier
Okay, I admit it was the cover that caught my attention. Add in the great synopsis and I was totally pining to read this. I was pretty confused for a little while, but the characters were so awesome that it didn't really bother me. I knew that things would start to make sense. This was a very interesting story and I really enjoyed it. I know the whole new girl at school thing seems totally overdone, but putting that aside, this book was really great.

Lets start with Celeste. I really liked her. S...more
Jude
Rua is a fast paced and intriguing story with a beautiful cover. The summary does not reveal much so I am dong this review as spoiler free as possible.

Celeste has never stayed long enough in one place to make many friends or really settle. Her father is constantly traveling so they all move from town to town. When Celeste arrives at Kansas strange things start happening, like the black birds. I hated this part of the story - Not because it was bad, but because they scare me. There was this legen...more
Andrea Heltsley
First off, let me just start saying what a gorgeous cover this is! Claudia at Phatpuppy Art sure knows how to make a beautiful cover. I am definitely in cover love with this one.

The Good: This whole book was the good! I loved it. It was such a fast fun read that I finished it in one night. The story was well written and the plot was interesting. I loved the Hitchcock feel of the book with the bird scenes. Rylan seemed pretty hot and he is paranormal too! What more could a girl with powers want?...more
Radiant
Rua...I love the cover..its so colorful and bright and is perfect with the story.

It's a very short, fast and easy read.
Celesta just transferred to a new town with her adopted parents and is trying to fit in high school..all she wants is to be invisible and done with her school.But little did she think her life is going to change..drastically..within a week.
As if the new boy Rylan with hot and sexy looks is looking her weirdly and saying things she can't understand,is not enough..she's facing
hal
Alaiel Kreuz
Since the summary doesn't say too much about it I'm going to do a quick walktrough without spoilers so don't worry.

First we have Celeste, our main character that, due to her dad's job is used to move from city to city a lot. Meaning no friends to bond with and no real place to call home. But her adoptive parents are amazingly cool and loving so she doesn't care that much.

Gladly for her she became friend with Tink, a sweet and caring guy that sadly for her was also very gay.
And in her very firstd...more
Haley ~ YA-Aholic
After finishing Rua by Miranda Kavi I can easily say I am such a fan now, I will deff be picking up anything Miranda writes in the future after reading Rua. This book completely had me hooked from page one till the end, Miranda creates a new paranormal that is immensely captivating.

Celeste is just a normal girl. Or at least she likes to think she is, she may have purple eyes, and crows following her, but that doesn’t mean she’s not human right? As more and more strange happenings go on around...more
Vero
This was a great YA fantasy novel

The summary: This story is about a girl who just moved to a new town and a new school. There she meets Twink and they become best friends. As her birthday approaches strange things start happening around Celeste and with the help of Twink she understands that something is gonna change on the day she turns 17. She also meets Rylan who is mysterious and handsome and makes Celeste feel like she never did before, even when she tries not to like him. Celeste and her...more
►Antonia ∞₪♫
I have a very good opinion about ''Rua''. I didn't think that I could like it so much. Seriously, Miranda created a beautiful story and I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to read it.
The description was short and I guess that's why I was so interested in the book. But I think it's better that way, because it makes you want the book more.
Before I start to write the resume, I want to tell my opinion about the cover. It is so beautiful and it is definitely one of my favorites. Those colors look...more
Alexa (Pages of Forbidden Love)
This review was originally posted at Pages of Forbidden Love

From the moment the book started I knew I was going to like this book because I could already tell I would love the characters. Celeste is a bit different than every other female lead in a YA book, she likes the night and seems to be alright with being alone since she moves so many times every year to a new state. She was sort of a loner that didn’t conform to the rest of the teen phases. Plus she gets to meet Tink early on and I absol...more
Nikki (Fiction Freak)
So here's another one of those indie books that was recommended to me! (By Lisseth at Read-a-holicz this time) And then, of course, majoy cover love! I love the purple and the designs and how wonderfully it portrays the book!
Something I've noticed in indie books is that...well, I'll write a Random Musings post for that! Expect it sometime in Nov!

Anyways, what I did like: Plot and creep factor!

What I didn't like: The romance.

What was iffy: Characters and world building.

The characters were defini...more
Tonya
Let me start with the cover since that is what you see first. Breathtaking, eye catching,beautiful. It is the PERFECT cover for this nook.

Almost 17 Celeste is just like your every day, moved around a lot teenager just trying to fit in, settle in to yet another new school yet not stand out. New best friend Tink helpss her settle in while dealing with the schools preppie snotty girl and her odd feelings for the other newbie,the hot yet very frustrating Rylan.

Rylan knows something about Celeste but...more
Tohrutohno

This book was effortless for me to fall into. Kavi’s style of writing is easy to follow, steady paced, and I found myself falling in love with the setting. I enjoyed the introduction of Gaelic lore. I love the culture and it’s a beautiful language. I only wish I knew more of it myself.

Now I wouldn’t exactly say this book was extremely amazing, but it was definitely a light and pleasant read. The characters are easy to fall in love with, especially the two handsome guys, Rylan and Tink. Who woul...more
Paula
Nov 11, 2012 Paula rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: r2r
R2R review: Rua
(I did receive a free copy, for a real review)

16, soon to be 17 year old Celeste has had many challenges in her young life. Being an adopted child can never be easy, but then top that with loving parents that relocate often, for the jobs, can make trying to fit in a bit on the hard side. Having just moved, to a small town in Kansas, she is faced with a new high school and strange things happening to her, nightmares and shadows haunt her. Making new friends with Tink, a very caring...more
Stacy
I had to add this book to my 'Favorites' shelf -- it was enchanting!
First things first: I received this book for free from the author through my Goodreads book club, in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. All thoughts and conclusions are my own.
The tale begins with Celeste, who is a soon-to-be-seventeen year old girl living with her adoptive parents. Due to her dad’s job, her family has had to move a lot, and Celeste has become used to being “the new kid”. Right before her 17th birthday, sh...more
Sara
I would like to thank the author for giving me this book in exchange for an honest review. This is 3.5 stars for me, and was very enjoyable. It has one of the most gorgeous covers I have seen.

This story is about Celeste, who finds out as it nears her 17th birthday that she might not be all human. As strange things start to happen she slowly finds out what she is with the help of her friends, Tink and Rylan. They might not be all normal themselves. There is some very sweet romance between Celeste...more
Magda
I just want to say, that I liked this book. From the first few pages I've been pulled into this magical world. I really liked all the characters, especially Tink - full of energy, colorful and friendly person.

I liked how author haven't forgotten about Celeste's 'normal' life. We could still see how she interacts with others in school. It's often something that is left behind when you read a book about someone who suddenly gets his supernatural powers. Only these powers count and whatever happene...more
Lauren
Note: I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I liked the development and progression of the story but I thought that there seemed to be a lot left out. Explanations for certain things were vague and the story was kind of choppy in parts.

The character of Celeste never really did anything for me, I did not find her particularly inspirational or even that strong, I felt like she was too one dimensional. Rylan was kind of the same with a vague past and personality. Tin...more
Meghan
Didn't finish. I can only handle so many stereotypes at a time. The whole bad boy interested in you, then randomly flirt with mean girl and it hurts you angle. The instant best friend who happens to be gay, but wait, a super stereotypical gay guy who also is a Wicca just when you need one and has no other friends? Really? Not a single other friend?? What is this, the 80's? Oh oh, and she is adopted. and dangerous. and probably some royalty or some shit- i dont know cause i couldnt read any furth...more
Alicia
A girl with an unknown destiny.

A boy from a hidden world.

The exact moment she turns seventeen, she wakes to a bedroom full of strange creatures, purple light emanating from her hands, and Rylan breaking in through her bedroom window.

He knows what she is ....more
Christine McIntosh
Ahh, that was nice.

You don't know the relief of good writing until you've read a few free Nook books.

This was short ish but it was shockingly...complete! Time and time you read these free Nook "books" and they have no climax or conclusion and you're left at the end in the middle of a story.

Rua was a complete book at the beginning of a series and it was a fun, quick read. What girl doesn't love and want a gay guy best friend? The beginning was very, very cliche but since I'm unfamiliar with Cel...more
Heather London
This was such a great story! The beginning of the book is filled with mystery and keeps you reading in order to find out what is going on.

I enjoyed the connection between Celeste and Rylan, and can't wait to read more about those two in the next book. But I have to say that Tink stole the show for me, he was my favorite! I found myself smiling at almost everything that came out of his mouth. Can't wait to read the next installment!
Jessica Karou
A very YA adult story. But it was very enjoyable for someone my age.
Celeste was a strong character who kinda accepted things too fast. Rylan was sexy, and mysertious and their relationship developed quickly.

It was a very fast read that kept me guessing about what will happen next.
Nataša
Fascinating premises for a book. I’ve never came across Tuatha and Sidhe before so it was interesting to learn more about that.

I liked that Celeste was portrayed realistically the way she handled everything. I hate it when female leads are unconvincing with their action when it comes to supernatural. The way Celeste reacted was believable to me and it pulled me into the story.

I felt Rylan wasn’t all that developed as a character. We don’t know much about him and apart from being around Celeste a...more
Rua 1 6 Dec 14, 2013 11:24AM
Lovers of Paranor...: R2R{83} Rua- (Our Avg 3.7) 28 66 Nov 21, 2012 11:11AM
  • Falling (Hemlock Bay, #1)
  • Growl
  • Survival (The Guardians of Vesturon, #1)
  • Rae of Hope
  • Dark Creations: Gabriel Rising (Dark Creations #1-2)
  • Inquest (The Destroyer Trilogy, #1)
  • Goddess Legacy (Goddess Series, #1)
  • Twin Souls (Nevermore, #1)
  • Perception (The Perception Trilogy, #1)
  • Evolution (Evolution, #1)
  • Faelorehn (The Otherworld Trilogy, #1)
  • Just Breathe (Just Breathe Trilogy #1)
  • Memory's Wake (Memory's Wake Trilogy, #1)
  • Dangerous (Element Preservers, #1)
  • Amethyst  (Guardian, #1)
  • Awaken (Fated Saga, #1)
  • Gravity (Gravity, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
Miranda Kavi is a romance and paranormal fiction author. Her books have been listed on the top 100 best seller lists on Amazon and iTunes. She has worked as an attorney, an executive recruiter, and an assistant in a biological anthropology lab. She loves scary movies, museums, and is hopelessly addicted to chocolate. She lives in Houston with her husband and daughter.

P.S. I don't check Goodreads m...more
More about Miranda Kavi...
Flee (Aurora Lockette, #1) Rive (Rua, #2) Dark Trade Crux (Aurora Lockette, #2) Dark Chase