Start by marking “The Urban Biking Handbook: The DIY Guide to Building, Rebuilding, Tinkering with, and Repairing Your Bicycle for City Living” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Urban Biking Handb...

Charles Haine

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Ever wanted to take a bicycle vacation? Go on a bike date? Convert your beater into a fixie? Or are you just curious about the anthropology of urban cycling culture? "The Urban Biking Handbook" teaches you the anatomy of your bike, how to dismantle it, how to reassemble it, how to make it pretty, how to make it ugly...and most importantly, how to make it yours. Bike your w ...more
Published 2011 by Rockport Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Urban Biking Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Urban Biking Handbook

K
This book tries to do too much, but unfortunately, doesn't do much of it well. I am a bike mechanic that teaches a basic maintenance class and am looking for a good book to recommend to people who want more info on fixing up their bikes. I liked some of Part I on what to think about when starting to get into cycling, but I found the "how-tos" in Part II to be overly simplistic and was annoyed that several photos of bike parts are mislabeled. Part III kind of threw me for a loop... I doubt that t ...more
Bethany
I bought this because I now depend only on my bike (and my feet, and the occasional bus and train and possibly Zipcar ride) for transportation...but I don't know much about bikes. They're simple machines but I wouldn't know what to do if mine broke (and I need it not to break). I was hoping for a basic maintenance and how-to guide for people who cycle in **cities** for **transportation**.

This book wavers between sections written for people in the process of thinking about buying a first bike to
Michael
"Urban biker" can be considered to be something like "cycling hipster," thus the intended audience for this book are younger urban types who would be interested in getting in this growing kind of cycling. (Perhaps it isn't growing - that's just my assumption.)

The lengthy sub-title of this book is "the DIY guide to building, rebuilding, tinkering with, and repairing your bicycle for city living." As is often the case with comprehensive guides that are only several hundred pages (and which have l
Dan
Nice look to the book, but it's really only a sampler. Defines words by using words that need further defining. Instructions aren't detailed enough (see previous sentence). Enough to get you interested, but hardly a manual.
Kristi
Aesthetically pleasing book. Parts of it were written in extremely technical language, others in vernacular, and the organization of the content was non-linear to put it in a nonjudgmental way. Not sure what to make of the author's statement that "kickstands are mostly for cops." Maybe it's an LA thing. I use a kickstand because I don't want a dinged up, ratty frame. But I digress.
Lauren
A good, short guide that doesn't skimp on content. Includes lots of handy information on building/maintaining one's ride, along with dedicated sections to gear, city cycling, touring and even fixed gears. Definitely one for the reference bookshelf.
Bailey Ferguson
Very nice overview of how-tos, tips, and tricks for urbal cycling. I recommend for anyone interested in learning more about cycling lifestyle.
Rich
I don't generally read bike books, but this one is a great, fun resource. It's basic, but very informative.
Brandi Graham
Brandi Graham is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2015
Nathan
Nathan is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Peprmntpurple
Peprmntpurple marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Jason
Jason is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2015
Meredith Stranges
Meredith Stranges marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Chris Ross
Chris Ross marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Nicole-Anne Keyton
Nicole-Anne Keyton marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Juanma Gody
Juanma Gody marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Justin Grimes
Justin Grimes marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Old Salt
Old Salt marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014