Start by marking “Rising (Saga of the Setti, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rising (Saga of the Setti, #1)

Rising (Saga of the Setti #1)

Seventeen-year-old Gabriel Goddard is being plagued by terrifying nightmares about creatures that singe and burn the flesh then absorb the life energy of humans and devour the ashes. A chance meeting with Clara Dunaway immediately distracts Gabe from bad dreams. He has always had a sort of sixth sense—to feel the emotions of others around him. When Clara finally confesses ...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Studiokae Publishers: Voice (first published April 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rising

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Rising is book one in the series, Saga of the Setti by Stephanie Judice. I really didn’t know what to expect with this book. What I got was a pretty creepy tale of a group of teens who one day are worrying about their next class, making sure their homework is done and preparing for the next soccer match. Within the span of a few days, they find themselves responsible for saving humanity.

louisana sugarcane fields - Google Search

Gabriel Goddard seemingly has a great life. He gets good grades and is a star soccer player. But he keeps to h
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Jun 26, 2012 Brooke (The Cover Contessa) rated it really liked it
I want to thank the author, Stephanie Judice, for providing me with a copy of her book, Rising (The Setti Sata, Book 1) to read and give an honest review.

Blurb from Goodreads: Having waited a millennium to return to the fertile feeding ground of earth, the dark giants break through a portal and storm out into the world in the guise of a massive hurricane—famished and fierce. Across the ocean, seventeen-year-old Gabriel Goddard is being plagued by terrifying nightmares about creatures that singe
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Nov 30, 2012 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-request
I wasn't sure what to except from this read, I am not a huge fan of sci fi and was really afraid that this was going to be a little out of my realm. Thankfully as I started reading it I realized that I had nothing to worry about.

While you could say this is a sci fi read it does have a flavor of paranormal in it and a very sweet romance that makes this a truly unique and great, easy read. In fact I ended up reading this in one sitting. I just flew through the pages.

I really loved the mishmash of
Lucinda
Feb 26, 2013 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
Fueled by electric tension this spectacular supernatural tale is totally breathtaking and wonderfully astonishing!

Oozing originality and remarkable creative vision this dystopian, young adult novel had me glued to the pages throughout. Book 1, Saga of the Setti, beautifully blends together different genres amid an atmospheric backdrop that is magical, mysterious and enchanting. When an ancient people (reminiscent of Pompeii) are found by archeologists, only to then disappear suddenly in a puff
David Estes
Jul 13, 2012 David Estes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie Judice delivers an awesome debut novel. It's action-packed, with a unique setting, creative powers, and an ultra-intriguing plot. I highly recommend this book to people who like books about aliens, particularly those that enjoyed I Am Number Four (the book not the movie!). Hats off to Judice, I can't wait to see what she comes up with next!
Rebekah
What worked: This book wasn't good. It wasn't even very good. It was AWESOME! Steph has such a gift with writing, she hooked me into the story straight away. Normally when it's a subject as Science Fiction-y as Rising, it can be a bit difficult to explain or it comes across as farfetched. Not the case at all with Rising. The way that she weaves Norse Mythology with poems, natural hurricanes and even archaeology just goes to show that Steph put the work in big time.

Rising is definitely going to p
Tina
Jun 05, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Stephanie Judice for writing a truly unique story that captivated me from the very beginning. I love the pull I instantly felt toward the group of friends that shared a bond far beyond what I expected. Their colorful personalities radiated right off the pages. I laughed until I cried from their side splitting humor, an unexpected bonus. I felt their emotions capture my heart as I was transported into this terrifying journey. There were many twists and turns that kept my adrenaline pump ...more
Helena
Dec 11, 2012 Helena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Note: I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I was a bit concerned going in whether or not this book was going to be my style, but I had seen all the fantastic reviews for the book, and thought that it would definitely be worth the risk. Scifi is normally fairly hit or miss with me, and this was definitely a hit.

It did take me a few chapters to truly get into the book, but it was such a fantastic read. There were so many different aspects to this book, that I would
Dvora
Jun 02, 2012 Dvora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Dvora by: Stephanie Judice
Amazing!! This story had everything! Love, drama, paranormal, suspense, twists. I can't wait to read the next book!!!
Paula
Dec 10, 2012 Paula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r2r
R2R: Rising

(I received a free copy, for a review)

Dark creatures are soon to be roaming our lands, overtaking humans and either using them as a food source or even worse, turning humans into one of them, a slave, to do their scouting. In this small town, set in the deep south of Louisiana, 5 special young adults are having twisted dreams about these dark creatures. It is forcing their special powers to reveal themselves more or for the first time. Gabe, one of the main characters has this vision,
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I was asked by the author to read and review her book Rising, the first in a trilogy (Saga of the Setti).

Rising by Stephanie Judice is a riveting read about two main protagonists, Gabe (the token hot guy) and Clara, the outspoken girl. We are first introduced to Gabe who has the power to sense others emotions, and he falls for Clara. Together, they realize something ominous is heading their way and they work together to figure out how to save their loved ones and their town.

I don't want to give
Regan
Dec 05, 2012 Regan rated it it was amazing
I read a review copy of Rising, by Stephanie Judice; thank you for allowing us to review the book.

I have to say this book was more than entertaining!

Characters, as noted by the book description; "Along with Jeremy, the head-bangin’ metal head; Ben, the air-headed golden boy; Melanie, the kind-hearted Creole; and the old hermit named Homer, they must face this enemy as one. Discovering that they are descended from an ancient clan of Norse warriors, they awaken their dormant powers, preparing for
Cherie
Aug 23, 2012 Cherie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!!! I've read it twice already (paperback and Kindle version) and will probably read it a third time right before reading "Resistance" so I can have a nice flow from one to the next! It was a definite page Turner and found myself flying through it. The characters were normal every day teens with typical teenage problems who became united because of their unique talents during extra ordinary circumstances. Being from Cajuny country it was great to see the setting so true to actuality an ...more
Jadyn
Sep 26, 2012 Jadyn rated it it was amazing
Couldn't stop reading once I started! Loved it!
Courtney Robichaux
Oct 09, 2012 Courtney Robichaux rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It starts out so calm in a small town high school with seemingly normal teens. Then it turns dark with the approach of the hurricane and villains.

The characters were great! I enjoyed Gabe as the loyal, strong male lead. Clara is the female lead, and I like that she always says exactly what's on her mind. I also really liked watching their relationship evolve. They are sweet together and Gabe is protective and caring. The secondary characters are amazing, too. Ben is the alway
Karen
Sep 09, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a gem of a book. The author had me at the first sixth sense! Rising was very well written and had a number of things going for it that I enjoy reading about; super senses, apocalyptic settings, non-stop action at just the right times, aliens, and interesting well thought out characters! The humorous banter between some of the characters had me chuckling and the losses of others brought some tears.

Too bad work and sleep got in the way, because I would have read in one sitting if time permit
Amanda Cowley
Aug 23, 2011 Amanda Cowley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Fantasy and YA
This book had me captivated from the start. The characters jump off the page and you feel like you really get to know them. I love the relationships they have with each other - romantic and otherwise.

Quite early on, the tension builds and before you know it you are sucked in and 'living' the story. At several points during the action I could literally feel my heart rate speeding along with the characters'.

Stephanie Judice has an amazing imagination and the imagery she conjures will take your b
Rachel
Sep 16, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is not your typical supernatural YAF book... no vampires, or any monsters you've ever heard of. Instead, Judice creates a whole new set of terrifying monsters in this hard to put down novel. I absolutely love this book. It was scary, interesting, compelling, and at times, funny. It had just the right amount of tension and perfect amount of YAF romance. It's hard to believe this is the author's first novel. The first time I read it, I could not put it down. I read it through the night. The s ...more
Tammy
So I received this book as part of my goodreads.com group lovers of paranormal as a request to read.

The author has created a phenomenal world. Their imagination in the creatures they created was very detailed without being obnoxious. I enjoyed the characters and despite wanting to shake a couple of them for things they did all the characters were very likable. Well except the bad guys of course Haha.

A very enjoyable read and I would happily recommend it for those that love young adult paranorm
Nicole
Feb 26, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I hated having to put this book down. It was so well written and I loved the storyline of 5 teenagers and their 'guide'. This story captivares you from the beginning as you get to know Clara and Gabe from their perspecrive, finding out what makes them tick and watching them discover their own inner secrets.

I cannot wait to read the second book! I have to know what happens next. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves paranormal with a touch of romance.

*This book was provided freely for
Collette Gibbs
Oct 30, 2012 Collette Gibbs rated it really liked it
Stephanie Judice is now one of my favorite writers, she did a marvelous job of writing this book and describing the characters and their environments. The only thing I can really complain about is her sometimes being too descriptive. I loved when the Setti would have visions from the past, it would be lovely if Stephanie could write a book only on the past of the Setti, possibly the story of Freya and Blyn. Over all I give this book for stars.
Gertie
Oct 05, 2012 Gertie rated it liked it
I feel kind of bad giving this one 3 stars, the writing was clean and well-edited, the premise was origial, the characters were likable enough. However I didn't become engrossed and found myself wanting to move on to a different book. I think it was just a bit too YA in tone for my liking perhaps.

Would still recommemd it to folks who read mainly YA and like paranormal and fantasy stories.
Cari
Feb 20, 2012 Cari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written, engrossing, and I cannot wait to read the rest of the series!

Edit: I received this for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Julie Reece
Feb 13, 2013 Julie Reece rated it really liked it
Review to come.
Patty
This was an amazing story! Stephanie Judice does an amazing job developing this story from start to finish. I was completely blown away at the creativity and the uniqueness of the story. It's almost hard to write this review because I don't want to give away any spoilers! The way the story is developed and how things are revealed is part of the charm to the book.

This book had everything I love in a good story: humor, romance, action, mystery, adventure, supernatural abilities, horror, suspense,
Soma Rostam "IOB"
A perfectly-developed setting, intruguing characters, fully-researched background, and the right pace describe this wonderful work of art, the first debut novel by the author Stephanie Judice. I feel really fortunate to get my hands on such an electrifying book. My review will be long ( bare with me!) , or I will not be giving this book the praise it deserves.
Gabriel has been hiding his sixth sense from everyone, they would think he is insane if they knew that he can feel other people's emotion
Rachael
Aug 17, 2012 Rachael rated it really liked it
This review first appeared @ Moosubi Reviews!

If there was one word that could describe this book, it would be:

Fun!

I know that might be inconsiderate, considering the pain the characters went through during the story, but the likable characters, creepy ghouls, fantasy, and actions just made my reading experience a bunch of fun! ^__^
The most enjoyable part of this book, for me, was probably the great combination of fantasy and action! The fighting scenes were written remarkably, and kind of remind
Isis
Learning of their new powers. This book begins with relationship-building in high school, focusing on Gabe's ability to feel what everyone around him is feeling (includes many funny, snarky comments about teenage girls, with one parking lot scene that sums them up really well, in an intentionally humorous, stereotypical way). Gabe meets Clara and is totally confounded by her initially, as he can't get a read on her and it makes him nervous, even though all he has ever wanted was to shut out all ...more
Patrick Turn
Sep 25, 2012 Patrick Turn rated it it was amazing
Rising (Saga of the Setti) was a phenomenal read, which sucked me into a different world after the first chapter. Mrs. Judice does an exceptional job at describing characters and providing enough depth and character to give them life. The dialogue between characters was interesting and advanced the story and character development substantially. The Reapers, in my opinion, were the strongest aspect of the book. Too often antagonists are rehashed and overused, maybe being tweaked slightly in each ...more
Kristine
Feb 15, 2013 Kristine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: saga-of-seti, r2r
Review also found in my blog

THOROUGHLY ENJOYED THIS STORY. Different and refreshing. The prologue of the book easily captivated me. I loved that there is the POV of Gabe and Clara so the readers can experience different sides of the story. The characters were well-developed and the story was well paced. The description and imagery of the setting was done well that when the enemies attacked, it truly gave me the chills. As always, I always enjoy romance in a story and this book gives you a very s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lovers of Paranor...: R2R {98} Rising Completed 32 159 Sep 15, 2013 02:04AM
International Gir...: BOTM Group Discussion! 2 13 May 03, 2013 08:15PM
International Gir...: BOTM April 2013 11 49 May 02, 2013 06:12AM
Lovers of Paranor...: This topic has been closed to new comments. R2R{98} Rising- RE-posted 37 128 Feb 12, 2013 07:10PM
We ♥ YA Books! : OCTOBER GENERAL: Rising 11 49 Dec 09, 2012 04:26PM
Never Too Old For...: Indie Author Interview with Stephanie Judice 21 89 Aug 21, 2012 04:24AM
  • Guardian's Hope (Guardians of the Race, #2)
  • Rewrite Redemption
  • Mark of the Princess (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Forsaken (Daughters of the Sea, #1)
  • Yoke (Bound, #1)
  • Ember (Ember #1)
  • Morning Star (Equinox #1)
  • Pawn (Nightmares Trilogy, #1)
  • Protected (Spirian Saga, #1)
  • Swell
  • Allusive Aftershock
  • Flee (Aurora Lockette, #1)
  • When Copper Suns Fall (Lost Immortals, #1)
  • Pyramid of the Moon (Sun and Moon, #1)
  • The Bird With The Broken Wing
  • Ember (Faylinn, #2)
  • Flutter (The Discover, #1)
  • Grasping at Eternity (The Kindrily, #1)
Stephanie Judice calls lush, moss-laden Louisiana, home where the landscape curls into her imagination, creating mystical settings for her stories. She shares her small town, southern lifestyle with her husband and four children. Some of her favorite things are autumn leaves, Gothic architecture, art museums, stormy nights, and Harry Potter marathons.

In addition to her paranormal, teen series SAGA
More about Stephanie Judice...

Saga of the Setti (2 books)
  • Resistance (Saga of the Setti, #2)