Start by marking “The Newfoundland Vampire (The Newfoundland Vampire, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Newfoundland Vampire  (The Newfoundland Vampire, #1)

The Newfoundland Vampire (The Newfoundland Vampire #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Like every other geek alive, Newfoundland native Joseph O'Reily secretly wants to be a superhero. At thirteen he fantasized about being a vampire, and ten years later he's still fantasizing - but mostly about a beautiful redheaded woman who has eyes only for him. The one thing different about Joseph's adult fantasy is that, amazingly, it comes true one night when he goes t ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Penumbra Publishing (first published April 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Newfoundland Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Newfoundland Vampire

Bob Milne
Let's face it, with a title like The Newfoundland Vampire and a cover like the one to the left, your expectations are pretty well established before you even turn to the first page. I mean, really, nobody goes into a vampire novel like this expecting the Gothic melodrama of Anne Rice or the supernatural terror of Brian Lumley. Instead, invited in by the author, we enter of our own free will, looking for a little fun and entertainment . . . something that Charles O'Keefe certainly provides.

Fortun
Rick F.
"Like every other geek alive, Newfoundland native Joseph O’Reily secretly wants to be a superhero. At thirteen he fantasized about being a vampire, and ten years later he’s still fantasizing – but mostly about a beautiful redheaded woman who has eyes only for him. The one thing different about Joseph’s adult fantasy is that, amazingly, it comes true one night"

With the plethora of vampire novels in the past several years, one would assume the genre is quite played out. One would be very pleasantl
Jonathan
Everyday Geek, Dungeons and Dragons aficionado, and aspiring swordsman Joseph O'Reilly meets a beautiful redhead, Cassandra Snow, who just so happens to be a vampire. A romance of questionable consent follows, and she turns him into a vampire himself. Slight catch in their love story, though, as Cassandra has a sadistic ex-husband who returns every few years to torment her and kill whatever lover she's turned as an elaborate revenge for her part in his initial death. Bad news for Joseph, right? ...more
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
As the cover obviously shows this is one of the more...seductive/sexual books that I have reviewed here on this blog. But, this particular story does not go into any really erotic details (in my opinion) so therefore, those that don't mind stories that are a little more on the steamy side, this was a very unique and different read.

I have to say this is the first book that I have ever read that involved an adult male main character that actively participated in role-playing games. It however is n
Backcoverpromotions
Review by Tammy

Having not read this in the proper order, I lucked out knowing a bit about the characters and their personalities. But I did enjoy learned exactly how Cassandra pulled Joseph into her twisted little web. Like an geeky male college student, who wouldn't want a gorgeous redhead putting the moves on him? Little did Joseph know that Cassandra was going to pull him into a world he could only previously imagine. Becoming a vampire definitely wasn't on this vegetarian's list, but what ha
Jessica Bronder
Joseph is a geeky young man that happens upon sexy Cassandra Snow, vampire. After a night of passion, Cassandra turns Joseph into a vampire without his consent to fight her psycho ex husband, John Snow. John comes around every couple years and kills off Cassandra’s lovers to get revenge on her.

Joseph, now a sexy vampire with a moral dilemma, can we say vegetarian, decides to make the best of a bad situation and starts training with Cassandra and being a superhero.

I loved Joseph. He is your typi
Nikki Bywater
Joseph is what some would call a nerd, a student who is into Star Trek and Dungeons and Dragons. Joseph has never had a girlfriend, he lacked confidence and he could not form meaningful relationships with others. He has always felt different.

When Joseph is approached in a bar by a gorgeous red-head called Cassandra, he can not believe his luck. Things like this never happened to him. Why would this beautiful woman approach him now? Joseph and Cassandra end up spending the night together and not
Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)
Review posted here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2012/06/book-review-newfoundland-vampire-1-by.html

I was asked to review this book a couple of weeks ago by author Charles O'Keefe. I gladly obliged since the book sounded very interesting. I read it and it was better than I thought it would be. The Newfoundland Vampire was a blast to read. O'Keefe created such a unique take on the vampire world with a rare sort of character to play the lead, a nerd. And I enjoyed every second of it.

I love
Aine Massie
(not a YA novel)

Geek. Vampire. Superhero?

The Newfoundland Vampire is not like many other vampire stories out there. It’s a mystery/horror/romance with action, morality (what happens when a vegetarian is turned? ;) ), and an ex-husband from hell.

I really liked Joseph and even know a few people that would have been right there at the geek table with him, lol. Heck, even when he realizes he’s being used, he is still the ‘good guy.’

The romance has issues, like dubious consent and that ex I mentio
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books

I actually enjoyed this book. I have not read many books like this that are told from the male’s point of view. A geeky, Dungeons and Dragons lover, who is very self-conscious, and not been lucky with the ladies before. It was a little hard for me to really connect with a male of this type of thinking of a male. The only books I read with any male pov, they were always either cocky and self-assured, or just plain confident and strong.

Anyway, that is nothing on the writing or anything, maybe boys
Ӄaȶ  McCarthy ~ Aeternum Designs
My Thoughts
________________________________________
The Newfoundland Vampire is a very compelling first novel in a new series. The author has created a unique story world of the origins of vampires and a secretive council that watches from behind the scenes. A well-structured mix of action and character development resulted in an exciting read full of anticipation with believable characters.

In a paranormal romance, I tend to focus more on character development. While reading this novel, I found
Tara
Firstly, to cover myself more than anything, I'm going to state that this novel is not a YA novel, and contains very adult scenes. There is violence, and whilst this is no Fifty Shades of Grey, there are definitely sexual encounters in this book. However, with that out of the way, I shall continue with the review.

I'm going to admit, I'd thought this book would be a lot more… cheesy than it was. I literally had images in my head of B-movies about female vampires seducing unsuspecting human males
Andrew
I don't usually read books featuring vampires, werewolves, zombies, etc. BUT I do like to include some variety in my reading material, and who could resist a title like "The Newfoundland Vampire"?

Printing out the .pdf, I found it came in at 105 pages BUT given the font size, margin size, and single spacing, I would consider this a full sized novel (albeit on the short side of that tag) rather than a novella.

I discovered a couple of interesting leading characters with a pretty nasty villian loomi
Jessica Carroll (Novel Words by Jessica)
The Newfoundland Vampire by Charles O’Keefe

Cassandra, a sultry vampire vixen, needs Joseph’s help to once and for all defeat her sadistic vampire ex-husband. After 10 years in the shadows of his life she seduces Joseph into her world and without his knowledge and consent makes him a vampire.

Joseph’s life changed in a matter of weeks – going from a reserved, nerdy college kid to a more confident, sexy vampire. But, is he ready for the challenges he will face and can he forgive Cassandra for her
Scott Bartlett
A different take on vampires. I thought Charles did a great job of providing intriguing details about the transformation into a vampire, and also about existence as a vampire. (I would list specific instances of this, but I want to avoid spoilers.)

My main complaint about the book is the amount of training scenes--I could have done with fewer of these.

Otherwise, the main character, Joseph, is a likable one, and Charles creates a suspenseful buildup to the book's final conflict. I knew from talk
Sheila
Joseph has always been a nerd but when Cassandra comes into his life, his nerdiness starts disappearing. Learning her history leaves Joseph doubting her sincerity but he is unable to resist her. I enjoyed this story. At times the story could have been tighter. Parts got bogged down with detail and repetition, such as Joseph being a vegetarian and not wanting to drink human blood or the practice sessions. The idea of the story and series is unique. When the details get out of the way the story is ...more
Tanya Johnson
Joseph is not your typical vampire, he is nerdy and doesn't want to let go of his "human" life, while Cassandra is letting him live his new life the way he wants. Out on the hunt for David, they must stop him before he can do more damage then he already has.

I didn't read book 1 of this series however I didn't feel that I was lacking information or anything while reading this. I enjoyed reading about Joseph and his nerdy tendencies, it's not often you here of a trekkie vampire LOL I also enjoyed
H
First of all, ignore the title and cover of this book. They are both cheesy and unapplealing, unlike this book which was a really fun read!!!!

Charles O'Keefe has a great, easy reading writing style which makes for a page turner. The setting of Newfoundland is enjoyable, not domineering, as with other local fiction I've read. I also enjoyed the historical elements that coloured the storyline, giving the over all tale a feeling of depth.

I really enjoyed this book! I was surprised how much (again,
Rebecca
This isn't a bad read but it does lack a little. The main characters Joseph and Cassandra are a bit dull, Joseph a Dungeons and Dragon game player 'geek' is a young man fantasising about becoming a Vampire soon gets his wish upon meeting Cassandra, who needs his help against her ex.

It's well written but the story is a bit repetitive what saves it is the elders council with the count and the countess adding some needed action,
these characters are more exciting and add a bit more 'zing'

As its a
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
I received a free copy of the book from the author for my honest opinion.

Joseph O'Reily is a college student who just enjoys life and going to school to earn his degree. Joe is a geeky guy who loves Star Trek, Harry Potter, Batman and a lot of other fictional characters. He likes roll playing and hangs out with a bunch of his friends at least once a week to do a little roll playing. Joe has also fantasized about being a vampire for most of his life not ever knowing that one day he would meet a v
Candice
Not something I'd typically read, but a friend wrote this. I'm not much for fantasy or sci-fi these days, but if you want a light, fun read, then this is it.
Patricia Yost
looks and sounds awesome...
Jannah
Review coming soon...
Rachel
This book is a brutal read. The editors really dropped the ball as there are many, many sentences which do not make sense and look to be fragments left over from editing. Also, it is very difficult to tell when the characters are psychically communicating as there is no consistent indicator in the text of such communications.

I really can't decide if this was supposed to be tongue and cheek or if it is just a tragic assault on the english language. I am going to go with the latter as I can't imag
Melanie Marsh
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Ugh. I was really looking forward to this book. I’m really bummed that it was such a disappointment because I know it could have gone better. The ideas were good and fresh. I liked the idea of a super-geek becoming a bad ass vampire guy. Any of us with nerd tendencies can appreciate what Charles O’Keefe was trying to do. Unfortunately it just fell flat.

Every geek’s fantasy is to have some super hottie of the opposite sex sudd
Sheilagh
I found the characters rather dull, especially Joseph. It makes no sense to me that a vampire, who's been around for many decades, would find someone so boring to be an object of desire. It reminded me very much of the attraction of Edward Cullen to Bella Swan in the Twilight series.

Another question I kept asking myself is why does Cassandra need a man to help her out? In the Christoper Moore novel "Bloodsucking Fiends" the main character, Jody (also a redhead), who was just turned into a vampi
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Genevieve Goskie
Genevieve Goskie marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
  • The Lion's Den (Knights of the Darkness Chronicles, #5)
  • Banshee Charmer (From the Files of the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency, #1)
  • Angel Bait (Angel Assassins, #0.5)
  • Love's Prophecy (Prophecy, #1)
  • Someone Else's Skye (Men of Brahm Hill, #1)
  • The Arrival of Armando DeLeon (In Darkness We Must Abide, #3)
  • Lizzy Speare and the Cursed Tomb
  • I Kissed a Dog (Werewolves of the West, #1)
  • Risking Eternity (Timeshifters #1)
  • Silence of the Wolves (Call of the Wilderness #1)
  • The Last Keeper's Daughter (The Last Keeper's Daughter, #1)
  • Devour
  • Falling (Girl With Broken Wings, #1)
  • Infinity (Valkyries: Soaring Raven, #1)
  • Moonlight (Immortalis, #4.5)
  • Uniquely Unwelcome (The Shadow World, #1)
  • The Foul Mouth and the Cat Killing Coyotes (The King Henry Tapes #2)
  • The Second Sign (The Second Sign, #1)
Charles O’Keefe lives in the beautiful province of Newfoundland, Canada, with his wife and two feline ‘children,’ Jude and Eleanor. He is a co-owner of a beauty business and enjoys many hobbies and activities that include writing, reading, watching fantasy/science-fiction movies and television shows, gaming, poker, walking, acting, martial arts and of course fantasizing about vampires.

He currently
More about Charles O'Keefe...

The Newfoundland Vampire (2 books)
Killer on the Road (The Newfoundland Vampire, #2)