Start by marking “When Minds Collide (Phoenician #0.1)” as Want to Read:
When Minds Collide (Phoenician #0.1)

When Minds Collide (Phoenician Series)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Can two men co-exist inside one mind? Andrew Caine and Joshua Scherrer can barely co-exist outside, on the same planet. After they're involved in a fatal car accident, the enigmatic native Phoenicians have sent someone to "help" them blend together, into a new man. Can they accept the new existence together, or will their minds collide as fatally as the car crash that kill ...more
ebook, Smashwords, 80 pages
Published August 1st 2012 by Phoenician Books

To ask other readers questions about When Minds Collide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Minds Collide

Beyond Bridalveil Fall by Sheryl SealPrimal Legacy by A. PayneThe Dry by Rebecca NolenRemembrance by Michelle MadowDeadly Thyme by R.L. Nolen
Most Alluring Covers
112th out of 361 books — 199 voters
Masquerade by Cambria HebertPrecipice by Melissa Luznicky GarrettBefore by Cambria HebertRemembrance by Michelle MadowComing Home by Sarah R. Yoffa
Must Buy Smashwords Books
317th out of 458 books — 445 voters

More lists with this book...

Jonathan

When Minds Collide is a free short story from the author of Conditioned Response which is set in a future where mankind has left Earth for an alien planet. I mentioned in my review of Conditioned Response that I am no major fan of any gritty style of writing but I very much appreciated this short story. I found it provided the extra detail and information I personally found lacking in Conditioned Response and the tone and characters appealed to me on a more personal level. I particularly liked t
Byron  'Giggsy' Paul
A very solid novella introducing The Phoenician Series, although without having read Conditioned Response I can say this works well as a standalone work. A fast-paced read that will keep your attention. It has an interesting appeal as Baldwin seamlessly blends space opera/space colonization style with some romance and with bio-engineering, along with age old questions like What does it mean to be human addressed with both a sci-fi way and reminiscent of a literary fiction way as well.

My only com
Trevor Veale
Shorn From The Dead
When William Harrington, Director of Security for the Community on an arid planetary colony, shows up at the research lab of his husband Andrew Caine, he's not a happy cowboy. He's come with a cease and desist order to shut down Drew's lab. Drew has been making Ronningers, Artificial Lifeforms (ALs), by fusing human bodies with nonhuman brains, and the means by which the cadavers are harvested has created a rift between the spouses.
Drew's delight at reuniting with Will after
Brandon Shire
Above all genres, sci-fi is the one for me. I was raised and weaned on it (along with horror), so when I find something I can dig my teeth into I really enjoy it.

Though a short intro into a larger series, this was one such book. Some grit, some questionable ethics, and two gay MCs and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this develops.
Cassie McCown
When Minds Collide (A Phoenician Series Short Story)
by Marjorie F. Baldwin
Published August 1, 2012
ISBN: 9781476235936
Available Format: ebook

My Rating: ★★★★★

When Minds Collide is a bit of a short story preview into the world of the Phoenician Series and Conditioned Response. Not only do we get a little intro to the planet where Earth's inhabitants are now living, we get a peek at the Phoenicians and their creatures, and a major look into the lives of William Harrington and Andrew Caine right when
Darlene
Mar 12, 2013 Darlene rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sci-fi buffs
Recommended to Darlene by: the author
First of all, I was fortunate to be offered this ebook by the author for review. Thank you, Friday! Second I need to apologize for any confusion as I was tracking my reading with the wrong book selected. I was tracking on Conditioned Response also by Marjorie F. Baldwin. I do plan to read this as soon as possible. The excerpt at the end of When Minds Collide really piqued my interest.

This review is actually for the one I read: When Minds Collide. I got it through Smashwords. My critiques are tha
Julie
"When Minds Collide" is a wonderful, very descriptive, well written short story, (with no grammatical or spelling errors for an eBook!) and the prequel to "Conditioned Response", which, is set in the future on an alien planet.
The author describes beautifully, two of the main characters- Andrew Caine and Joshua Scherrer who dislike each other intensely; so much so, that Andrew would have left Joshua behind on Earth but, his resourceful mind is needed if the human race is to continue to survive on
Marjorie Friday Baldwin
Dec 07, 2012 Marjorie Friday Baldwin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Officially releases on Wed., Aug. 1, 2012.

Available for download at Smashwords (all formats, 99 cents), free at Bibliotastic (ePub, Kindle, PDF), ObookO (ePub, Kindle, PDF) and perhaps other sites worldwide where free eBooks are available without restrictions or DRM.

As a member of RABMAD (Read a Book, Make a Difference), I'll donate 10% of all proceeds from Amazon sales to Team X-TREME.

Thanks for your interest in The Phoenician Series!
Kami
This book was gifted to me by the author for an honest review. Thank You!

William's husband Andrew is creating a new life by killing another one. He is creating Ronningers from Proctors and William has to stop him. Humanity has left Earth and gone to the Phoenician planet. Scherrer is a brilliant homophobic scientist designing Artificial Intelligence while Andrew creates Artificial Lifeforms. The two men die in a crash but their consciousnesses are brought back in one body making a Joshua Scherre
Chris
Ok, now we have a real start here! This gave me lots of answers to help understand "Conditioned Response". Not all the answers, those will come when the author fills in the gap! Loved this, reads just as well as CR and moved very well. Maybe just to short? ;)! Seriously, I hope Friday gets with it (or has) and writes the sequels, can't wait to learn more!

I've got to say one thing, though. When William was getting ready to make his run, maybe a little to much time spent getting ready? Just a tho
Bonnie Hobcroft
Jul 31, 2012 Bonnie Hobcroft rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Science Fiction fans
Shelves: scifi
I really enjoyed this short story, although I wish it had been longer. The author developed the personalities of the main characters beautifully and really showed their relationships with each other. I had already read "Conditioned Response" and had some unanswered questions I didn't even know I had. This prequel helped me understand and care more about some of the characters. With the insight I have from this book, I plan on really enjoying my second reading of "Conditioned Response".
Jane Doe
Love this short! It has wonderful characters who have a real relationship and shows you where the plans began for book one. Both books are stand alone, however, reading the short before book one will help you understand the history better and how the characters were. Highly recommend.
Mei
Sep 13, 2012 Mei rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Roger
Interesting ideas. I would probably read more by the author.
Evelyne
Mar 03, 2013 Evelyne marked it as to-read
How do I get this book free as author says
Sadie Forsythe
This was a bittersweet telling of WIlliam's loss of Drew and the creation of the person known as Joshua Andrew Caine. As with all of Baldwin's work that I've read so far, it's wonderfully written. The characters have a tendency to find purchase in your heart. I honestly adore them.

While the story does a wonderful job of showing what happened prior to Joshua Andrew Caine's emergence, it stops short of addressing how Andrew and Joshua learned to live with their predicament or how William figured
AnnaM
Since everyone seems to mention it, I did NOT get this free or for review.

This excellent short story introduces a world full of interesting biotech and interesting aliens. The characters are individual and draw you in.

The only not so great thing about it is the proofreading slipped a bit in the middle where there were more than a handful of typos.

The plot and characters drew me in. The world makes me want to read the rest of the series. Well done!
Marguerite Woodward
Free book for review. I found the story itself and characters good. Two seperate people with two seperate bodies as well as two minds merged to become one person with both characteristics. In other words one body being two people. I do feel it could of been took further though. A good read.
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Panalopy
Panalopy marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
T
T marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Elodie
Elodie marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Greg Bailey
Greg Bailey marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Art
Art marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Arcane Asunder
Arcane Asunder marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Erin Burns
Erin Burns marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Author of Classic SciFi, the "what-if" sort that focuses more on social issues than space wars, may have some supernatural elements but is not fantasy and will always be marked by an EPIC LENGTH. Although long, my stories seem to read very quickly for nearly everyone. I think it's the amazing people populating my worlds!

Currently working on THE PHOENICIAN SERIES:
When Minds Collide (Short #0.1)
Man
More about Marjorie F. Baldwin...
Conditioned Response (Phoenician #2) Man Made Man (Phoenician #1) A First Time for Everything (Phoenician #1.1)