Start by marking “When Minds Collide (Phoenician #0.1)” as Want to Read:
When Minds Collide (Phoenician #0.1)

When Minds Collide (Phoenician Series)

Can two men co-exist inside one mind? Andrew Caine and Joshua Scherrer can barely co-exist outside, on the same planet. After they're involved in a fatal car accident, the enigmatic native Phoenicians have sent someone to "help" them blend together, into a new man. Can they accept the new existence together, or will their minds collide as fatally as the car crash that kill ...more
ebook, Smashwords, 80 pages
Published August 1st 2012 by Phoenician Books

To ask other readers questions about When Minds Collide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Minds Collide

Jonathan
Aug 04, 2012 Jonathan rated it really liked it

When Minds Collide is a free short story from the author of Conditioned Response which is set in a future where mankind has left Earth for an alien planet. I mentioned in my review of Conditioned Response that I am no major fan of any gritty style of writing but I very much appreciated this short story. I found it provided the extra detail and information I personally found lacking in Conditioned Response and the tone and characters appealed to me on a more personal level. I particularly liked t
Byron  'Giggsy' Paul
A very solid novella introducing The Phoenician Series, although without having read Conditioned Response I can say this works well as a standalone work. A fast-paced read that will keep your attention. It has an interesting appeal as Baldwin seamlessly blends space opera/space colonization style with some romance and with bio-engineering, along with age old questions like What does it mean to be human addressed with both a sci-fi way and reminiscent of a literary fiction way as well.

My only com
Trevor Veale
Mar 27, 2013 Trevor Veale rated it it was amazing
Shorn From The Dead
When William Harrington, Director of Security for the Community on an arid planetary colony, shows up at the research lab of his husband Andrew Caine, he's not a happy cowboy. He's come with a cease and desist order to shut down Drew's lab. Drew has been making Ronningers, Artificial Lifeforms (ALs), by fusing human bodies with nonhuman brains, and the means by which the cadavers are harvested has created a rift between the spouses.
Drew's delight at reuniting with Will after
Brandon Shire
Aug 05, 2012 Brandon Shire rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt, sci-fi
Above all genres, sci-fi is the one for me. I was raised and weaned on it (along with horror), so when I find something I can dig my teeth into I really enjoy it.

Though a short intro into a larger series, this was one such book. Some grit, some questionable ethics, and two gay MCs and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this develops.
Darlene
Mar 12, 2013 Darlene rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sci-fi buffs
Recommended to Darlene by: the author
First of all, I was fortunate to be offered this ebook by the author for review. Thank you, Friday! Second I need to apologize for any confusion as I was tracking my reading with the wrong book selected. I was tracking on Conditioned Response also by Marjorie F. Baldwin. I do plan to read this as soon as possible. The excerpt at the end of When Minds Collide really piqued my interest.

This review is actually for the one I read: When Minds Collide. I got it through Smashwords. My critiques are tha
Julie
Jul 30, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
"When Minds Collide" is a wonderful, very descriptive, well written short story, (with no grammatical or spelling errors for an eBook!) and the prequel to "Conditioned Response", which, is set in the future on an alien planet.
The author describes beautifully, two of the main characters- Andrew Caine and Joshua Scherrer who dislike each other intensely; so much so, that Andrew would have left Joshua behind on Earth but, his resourceful mind is needed if the human race is to continue to survive on
Cassie McCown
Aug 01, 2012 Cassie McCown rated it it was amazing
When Minds Collide (A Phoenician Series Short Story)
by Marjorie F. Baldwin
Published August 1, 2012
ISBN: 9781476235936
Available Format: ebook

My Rating: ★★★★★

When Minds Collide is a bit of a short story preview into the world of the Phoenician Series and Conditioned Response. Not only do we get a little intro to the planet where Earth's inhabitants are now living, we get a peek at the Phoenicians and their creatures, and a major look into the lives of William Harrington and Andrew Caine right when
Marjorie Friday Baldwin
Jul 29, 2012 Marjorie Friday Baldwin rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Officially releases on Wed., Aug. 1, 2012.

Available for download at Smashwords (all formats, 99 cents), free at Bibliotastic (ePub, Kindle, PDF), ObookO (ePub, Kindle, PDF) and perhaps other sites worldwide where free eBooks are available without restrictions or DRM.

As a member of RABMAD (Read a Book, Make a Difference), I'll donate 10% of all proceeds from Amazon sales to Team X-TREME.

Thanks for your interest in The Phoenician Series!
Kami
Jan 31, 2013 Kami rated it it was amazing
This book was gifted to me by the author for an honest review. Thank You!

William's husband Andrew is creating a new life by killing another one. He is creating Ronningers from Proctors and William has to stop him. Humanity has left Earth and gone to the Phoenician planet. Scherrer is a brilliant homophobic scientist designing Artificial Intelligence while Andrew creates Artificial Lifeforms. The two men die in a crash but their consciousnesses are brought back in one body making a Joshua Scherre
Chris
Aug 10, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
Ok, now we have a real start here! This gave me lots of answers to help understand "Conditioned Response". Not all the answers, those will come when the author fills in the gap! Loved this, reads just as well as CR and moved very well. Maybe just to short? ;)! Seriously, I hope Friday gets with it (or has) and writes the sequels, can't wait to learn more!

I've got to say one thing, though. When William was getting ready to make his run, maybe a little to much time spent getting ready? Just a tho
Bonnie Hobcroft
Jul 31, 2012 Bonnie Hobcroft rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Science Fiction fans
Shelves: scifi
I really enjoyed this short story, although I wish it had been longer. The author developed the personalities of the main characters beautifully and really showed their relationships with each other. I had already read "Conditioned Response" and had some unanswered questions I didn't even know I had. This prequel helped me understand and care more about some of the characters. With the insight I have from this book, I plan on really enjoying my second reading of "Conditioned Response".
Jane Doe
Love this short! It has wonderful characters who have a real relationship and shows you where the plans began for book one. Both books are stand alone, however, reading the short before book one will help you understand the history better and how the characters were. Highly recommend.
Mei
Sep 13, 2012 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
Evelyne
Mar 03, 2013 Evelyne marked it as to-read
How do I get this book free as author says
Roger
Oct 06, 2012 Roger rated it liked it
Interesting ideas. I would probably read more by the author.
Sadie Forsythe
Mar 03, 2013 Sadie Forsythe rated it really liked it
This was a bittersweet telling of WIlliam's loss of Drew and the creation of the person known as Joshua Andrew Caine. As with all of Baldwin's work that I've read so far, it's wonderfully written. The characters have a tendency to find purchase in your heart. I honestly adore them.

While the story does a wonderful job of showing what happened prior to Joshua Andrew Caine's emergence, it stops short of addressing how Andrew and Joshua learned to live with their predicament or how William figured
AnnaM
Mar 31, 2013 AnnaM rated it really liked it
Since everyone seems to mention it, I did NOT get this free or for review.

This excellent short story introduces a world full of interesting biotech and interesting aliens. The characters are individual and draw you in.

The only not so great thing about it is the proofreading slipped a bit in the middle where there were more than a handful of typos.

The plot and characters drew me in. The world makes me want to read the rest of the series. Well done!
LindaJ^
May 11, 2014 LindaJ^ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a book of short stories - it wasn't. It was one short story and a "bonus" chapter from one of the books in the Phoenician Series. Both were underwhelming.
Fayley
Fayley rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Mac
Mac rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2013
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Hector Gonzalez
Hector Gonzalez rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Hélène Louise
Hélène Louise rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Karine
Karine rated it liked it
May 01, 2015
Ivanka Towers DelaRosa
Ivanka Towers DelaRosa rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Roy Huff
Roy Huff rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
George
George rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Tj
Tj added it
Jul 29, 2012
Byron Wells
Byron Wells marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2012
Valen
Valen is currently reading it
Karen Knoerzer
Karen Knoerzer is currently reading it
Chiara
Chiara marked it as to-read
Kayla
Kayla is currently reading it
Paul Vincent
Paul Vincent marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2012
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2012
Al Boudreau
Al Boudreau marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2012
Debra
Debra added it
Aug 19, 2012
Kevis Hendrickson
Kevis Hendrickson marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2012
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2012
Kala
Kala added it
Sep 02, 2012
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2012
Tara
Tara added it
Oct 01, 2012
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2012
Hilly
Hilly added it
Nov 13, 2012
Acampbell
Acampbell marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2012
Martialprincess
Martialprincess marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2012
Hari Khalsa
Hari Khalsa marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2012
Blue Eyed Vixen
Blue Eyed Vixen marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
Erica Pike
Erica Pike marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2013
Author of Classic SciFi, the "what-if" sort that focuses more on social issues than space wars, may have some supernatural elements but is not fantasy and will always be marked by an EPIC LENGTH. Although long, my stories seem to read very quickly for nearly everyone. I think it's the amazing people populating my worlds!

Currently working on THE PHOENICIAN SERIES:
When Minds Collide (Short #0.1)
Man
More about Marjorie F. Baldwin...

Phoenician Series (4 books)
  • Man Made Man (Phoenician #1)
  • A First Time for Everything (Phoenician #1.1)
  • Conditioned Response (Phoenician #2)