Start by marking “The Fox's Mask (Kitsune Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fox's Mask (Kitsune Trilogy, #1)

The Fox's Mask (Kitsune Trilogy #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
(Author's note: This book is going out of print on February 28 due to the publisher closing.)

Demon hunter Akakiba keeps many secrets from his human companion. The fact he's a werefox isn't the worst one.

In feudal Japan, magic is dying. As a demon hunter, Akakiba finds this problematic. The evil he's been trained to destroy is disappearing and, along with it, the shape-shi
Published October 19th 2012 by Musa Publishing (first published October 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Fox's Mask, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fox's Mask

Bookwatcher
wow... I just finish it... and I WILL read more of this trilogy!

About the story
It's well know that foxes are important to Japanese folklore. That's the premise I had to said, to introduce the protagonist, Akakiba.
Akakiba is a samurai, but also member of the fox clan... they are more than just the most famous samurai clan, they are also a real fox clan... fox are their real nature.
Akakiba could not leave alone to his dead a boy when his father, and only family, is killed by a demon. That's how Ak
Min
Limited, subjective, third person POV - multiple character POVs
Main character ages: 15-18
I received this novel as a free read to review as part of the Authors Requesting Reviews program in the Making Connections YA Edition group.

Okay so a little disclaimer before I perhaps influence anyone in their decision to read this book or not, please note that I'm a very negative person so I tend to find it easier to write about negative things (I'm more a venter than a praiser).

evil girl

So.. sorry if I'm a bit cri
M'rella
This is a YA book. I am seriously considering recommending it to my 13-year old. NOT joking.

It might make a great introduction into Japanese mythology, however centered it is around foxes.

Main characters are all under 20 years old and there is no romance in this book of any kind, just very subtle hints and a crush or two.

I rate this as a Young Adult book - 4 stars.

PS
I loved the foxes' fluidity with gender and that they could chose the opposite sex if it suited them better or made them more comf
Byron
Oct 20, 2012 Byron rated it really liked it
Recommended to Byron by: Anna Frost
So, another book that wouldn't normally get read, that was thoroughly enjoyable...

Why wouldn't I have normally read this.. Well traditionally it's historical.. and I'm not grand on those (proven wrong a couple of times. It's based on a culture that whilst is interesting when I do see or hear something I wouldn't normally get wrapped up in it.

So what was the story like.. GREAT! The story is set in Japan in the distant past. There is great use of settings and historical content to bring the story
Lori M. Lee
May 24, 2014 Lori M. Lee rated it really liked it
The Fox's Mask is a YA LGBT historical fantasy, which is something I've never read before. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it surprised me in the best way. It was a fun book full of wit and humor, spirits, dragons, cultural details that never felt too weighty, and well-written battles. I really, really enjoyed it.

Akakiba and Yuki had this fantastic relationship full of camaraderie, respect, loyalty, and maybe even a bit more. I loved that the 'more' was so subtle, never needing to be voiced be
Kristen Babb
Jun 25, 2014 Kristen Babb rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-review, r2r
Anna. Anna! ANNA! You slayed me with this book. I had no idea what to expect. I purposely didn't look at the reviews because this book was so new to me and I wanted to go into this with an open mind. I'm happy to say that I loved The Fox's Mask. It isn't something I would pick out for myself. But that's the beauty of it. It transcended my preferences and gave me something new to experience.

I've never watched anime or been heavily into Japanese culture. I don't watch ninja movies. Basically, I
Marisa
Oct 16, 2012 Marisa rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Obviously, I loved it! I’d more accurately rate it at 4.5 stars, but I felt it deserved to be rounded up rather than down because the good attributes of this book far outweighed the “bad” ones.

The plot was pretty thought out and well executed. I found myself getting interested in the story from the start, though it took me a while to get into the book and get immersed in the world and the characters. For once, I was surprised b
Maki
Dec 18, 2014 Maki rated it it was amazing
The Fox's Mask is set in a mythical world based on Japanese culture and folklore. Parts of it felt like I was reading the light novel version of a manga, but eventually I was drawn into the story and stopped thinking about the book like that. I'm always a huge fan of anything kitsune, but this book was enjoyable, even without the influence of magical fox people.

Though ninjas vs kitsune battles - I'm just sayin'. It's hard to deny the awesomeness of that combination. Oh, and there were demons, to
Jonel Boyko
Mar 22, 2014 Jonel Boyko rated it it was amazing
This novel was extremely well written, but I found that I had a difficult time getting engaged in the story. Once I finally got into it, it turned out to be a very intriguing story. Part of the issue that I found was that the crux of the story occurs in the last half. The first half of the story is a large amount of background information.

Frost has an amazingly well developed cast of characters. Each one is ideally suited to their purpose in life. That said, not one single character is the “per
bkwurm
Sep 01, 2015 bkwurm rated it it was ok
The setting is an alternate feudal Japan and the protagonist is a samurai from a clan of demon hunters and slayers called the Fox clan. This is the first book in a trilogy and while the story is reasonably engaging, it could have been so much more. Reading the story, you just did not get the feeling that this was feudal Japan. Take away the Japanese names for some articles of clothing and weapons and the story could just as easily have been set in any other fantasy setting. The author, I think, ...more
Mary
Mar 16, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Akakiba is a demon hunter from the fox clan. He and his apprentice, Yuki, travel the countryside to protect the people. Yet they see a strange trend – sometimes, the people fight them! Before long, they realize that the demons, weakened in the physical world, need host bodies, and are creating armies using local villagers. How can the warriors and their allies defend the people, when the people's enemy is within?

Besides being a story of a supernatural battle, this is also the story of the rela
Matthew
Mar 23, 2014 Matthew rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I can't say that this book was bad. I just read it the other day and it was enjoyable. I don't think I will remember much of anything about it. And I never really felt invested in the story. It felt like a children's story, being told rather than... experienced, and I didn't get involved in it. The perspective was all third person, but the character being followed changed every few characters. I was surprised by the gender aspects. And in favor of seeing the relationship between Yuki and Akakiba ...more
TheCosyDragon
Feb 04, 2015 TheCosyDragon rated it it was amazing

Akakiba is part of the Fox Clan of samurai. He can change into a fox - but he hasn't told his apprentice yet. With dragons at stake and strange demon possessions going on, it's important to be honest, and reduce the inevitable shocks. But Akakiba isn't as contented with himself as he seems.

Nothing was dramatic with the love and affection through
Alana
Jun 01, 2014 Alana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, 2014
This was a really great book! the story caught me and wouldn't let go. i even learned a few new japanese terms. it followed the mythos of japan as well as samaurai culture realistically. (although, i felt ronin needed to be used instead of just calling them masterless samurai).
i didn't feel it should have had the GLBT tag at least for this book. without giving anything away, i felt the situations were contextual to the cultural aspects of the story. much of it was innuendos of what might be go
Lissa
Oct 24, 2012 Lissa rated it it was amazing
Loved this, can't wait for the next one.
Lindsay
Jun 01, 2015 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, owned
I was given a free copy of The Fox's Mask by the author to read and provide an honest review.
I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was.

I entered the contest for a free copy because the provided summary sounded intriguing and didn't notice it was listed as M/M Romance until after I had won. Being acquainted with the sappy, stereotypical, fanfiction-ey paranormal romance novels that are becoming increasingly popular these days, I grew naturally suspicious of this book, and tho
E.
Dec 20, 2012 E. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
4 1/2 stars!
This was a beautifully written young adult fantasy that blends the elements of Japanese samurai and the mythology of the kitsune in a tale that is filled with delightful twists and turns. The flowing imagery and the intriguing characters that are depicted make this a wonderful introduction to the series, ‘The Kitsune Trilogy’. The author artfully combines familiar concepts such as shape-shifting and demon possession into a fresh new tale that entertains and educates and makes one cu
Brooke Banks
I'm so very lucky to have gotten a free e-copy in order to give an honest review. My full review with a guest post from Anna Frost plus a link to a giveaway is now live on my blog:
The Broke Book Bank

I was immediately hooked in from page one.

The Fox’s Mask uses historical Japan (around the 1600s) as a loose basis for a fantastical tale involving samurais, ninjas, fighting monks, shifters, demons, spirits and, my personal favorite, dragons. Seriously, the dragon part had me deliriously happy to t
Serena
May 20, 2013 Serena rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this as it reminded me of InuYasha, and Rurouni Kenshin both anime dealing with a older era of Japan. Some of the names were ones I had seen before, twists in the idea of dragons and foxes and demons were interesting.

Akakiba we learn from the start, isn't perfect, Yuki is a orphan because he hadn't been able to find a demon in time and Yuki's family paid the price.

It starts when Akakiba and Yuki come to a village -so not to give too much away - they find eggs which lead them to a city,
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
This is an ARC book in exchange for a review

Akakiba is half-fox and half-human from a secret Fox Clan. He's been away from his clan for over three years now. He's doing what has been his clan's job~demon hunting. He's also acquired an apprentice named Yukia after running a demon possessed man into Yukia's family dwelling. Akakiba sees things differently than the rest of Fox Clan after being on his own. The Fox Clan can't continue to battle demons and shinboi same way they have been. Akakiba's si
Derek Newman-Stille
It is refreshing to see a fantasy book that is set in Imperial Japan. So often, fantasy series are based on a Western Medieval archetype, inferring that this is the only forum for sword and sorcery. Anna Frost, although not Japanese herself, explores the imagery and richness of Japanese culture as a framework for her novel The Fox’s Mask. Populating her novel with Kitsune (fox spirits), healing spirits from springs, demons possessing humans, and dragons, it is clear why she chose an ancient Japa ...more
Kristy Maitz
Apr 01, 2014 Kristy Maitz rated it liked it
Anna Frost for sure got good ideas and fantasy, so story plot is full and pulling. Main character is Akakiba who is a fox shifter and also a demon hunter. The other main character is Yuki.

Even if reading was interesting and we had a lot of action that reading stile did not speak to me. Even with action I had feeling it was to passive. Don't ask me why but still something was missing. And I was missing more personal time between Akikiba and Yuki.

So it was okay reading material.
Viviana
May 12, 2015 Viviana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is such a easy read without been simplistic that anyone can enjoyed it.I won it on the first-reads giveaway. I love how the author describes the fighting scenes without beeing to heavy which make this book suitable for all ages 13 and up. The story is set in ancient Japan which makes it a historical young adult fantasy. It's really well written but I would have enjoy if the secondary characters were described more in detail.I liked the story and how it contained a twist that I didn't e ...more
Lincoln Wert
Jul 07, 2015 Lincoln Wert rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Enjoying young adult fantasy with slight LGBT/transgender undertones until it becomes overt in the last chapter. Well rounded characters and a fast moving plot made this an enjoyable read. I look forward to the other two in the series.
Dayton
Jun 27, 2015 Dayton rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.

The characters, of which there were many, were likeable enough and well developed. They were consistent in their moods and portrayal. I liked the plot. It was creative and well thought out and the imagery was well described.

There might have been a little too much traveling text in the book for my tastes. I felt that more could have been written about the the events at points A - B and less about how they managed to get there.

But that really is the only niggle I had w
Jenn
Jul 01, 2014 Jenn rated it it was amazing
4-4.5 stars. Wasn't perfect, but a lot better than expected. Got a little unsteady towards the end, but I still love the world.
Anthony Kizer
Even though this book has similar pullings from other books I have read, i'm always a sucker for Japanese inspired works. This book has some interesting ideas that stand within the mythos of the Japanese that a thoroughly enjoyed reading about. This book has intrigued me with its colorful story and characters with a very firm landing in a well thought out setting. I will continue reading the series later on. The only thing I wish this book has was some more depth to it, but given the target audi ...more
Caitlin
Jun 13, 2013 Caitlin rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
First reads.

this is my first review so it might be a bit rubbish. sorry.

I really enjoyed this book, though i wasn't expecting to. i thought the plot was good. and i liked the characters. however i would have liked more on the relationship between Alkakiba and Yuki. i don't understand. is there romantic feeling between them or not?? i'm not sure how that works out though. would Yuki would be gay?? or straight?? or bisexual??

anyhow i can't wait to read the next book.
Anna
Mar 23, 2015 Anna added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
These books are now out of print but the publisher is graciously allowing me to give away the ebook files. If you missed out and want to read them, simply PM me your email address or email me at anna at annafrost.ca.
Jalissa
Oct 10, 2015 Jalissa marked it as to-read
Shelves: e-books, tbr-pile
This will be one of the ten LGBT books I will be reading for #AYearAThon beginning on 5th-11th of October.
YA LGBT Books: November BotM - The Fox's Mask **Spoilers** 19 78 Dec 04, 2012 12:11AM
  • Seidman
  • Tapestry
  • The Battle for Jericho
  • By the Creek
  • Stone Rose (The Lost Gods, #3)
  • Children of the Knight
  • The Ronin and The Fox
  • Loveblood
  • Eye of the Storm (Lords of Arcadia, #2)
  • Dreamlands (Dreamlands #1)
  • Triane's Son Rising
  • Burn the Sky (Wytch Kings, #1)
  • Intervention
  • Knight Errant (Knight Errant, #1)
  • You Never Cared
  • Stasis (Ennek, #1)
  • Sunblood
  • A Broken Kind of Life
Anna Frost is a Canadian girl who spends winters writing and dreaming of summer. An overdose of Japanese culture and media has led her to write fantasy inspired by Japanese mythology. Think samurai and ninja, demons and fox spirits.

In a shocking break with literary tradition, Anna does not live with cats. Instead she lives with chinchillas, which can be just as demanding and evil as cats.
More about Anna Frost...

Kitsune Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Fox's Quest (Kitsune Trilogy, #2)
  • The Fox's God (Kitsune Trilogy, #3)